ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time for Jenkins to replace Loyer?

Yes Jenkins for Loyer...physically Loyer is NOT ready to play a physical game. He will need to muscle up in the weight room during the off season.

I think the physicality has affected Loyer's shot as well, that then turns into partly a mental thing going on. I will say this though for Loyer... he was getting fouled a lot off the ball that wasn't being called and that could be part of it as well. Physical and mental toughness will be the biggest things he needs to improve for next year.

I think the physicality has affected Loyer's shot as well, that then turns into partly a mental thing going on. I will say this though for Loyer... he was getting fouled a lot off the ball that wasn't being called and that could be part of it as well. Physical and mental toughness will be the biggest things he needs to improve for next year.

Well said. He's gonna be a good one - hell, he already is. But in games like today's just physically dominated at some points.

Mentioned this in the game thread but do think it's a bit of the yips right now too; in his own head some. He's too good of a shooter to be putting up 0-6 type games.

I like Smith and Jenkins on the floor at the same time, on multiple levels.

Yes, Loyer needs to sit and have a think.

Smith, Jenkins, Newman, Gillis and Edey starters tomorrow - that’s what I wound do - Loyer is lost and Jenkins is a 2000 point scorer - try it
Those guys will get minute’s together, but Matt rarely changes starters after a win. If that group is working well they will get a lot of minutes

I didn't watch the Rutgers game today, and this might be a minority view, but...

I think Braden Smith has to play. And not just because of limited point guard options. There's just something in that kid that is pure gamer, a tough-as-nails rottweiler competitor. A guy who's value can't be measured just in stat lines. The guy needs to be out there now because he needs to be out there next week.

Just my $.02

Jenkins not getting rattled has been huge for the team down the stretch here. Moment hasn’t really ever been too big for him…even if it might have been so for others.

Team needs balance. More Newman. More DJJ. More TKR. Helps take the load off of the starters (Morton, Furst, Loyer) that seem to have hit a wall.

We are better with equal hands lifting. Edey really the only guy who you can look to carry the minutes. Everything else has to be “by committee “. Hot hands. Good 2 way play. Need all 9 in the active rotation to be the good version of themselves and play complimentary basketball from here on out.

Game today was built for Gillis and he embraced it. Looking for Furst, Morton and Loyer to embrace the moments in the same way.

Jenkins not getting rattled has been huge for the team down the stretch here. Moment hasn’t really ever been too big for him…even if it might have been so for others.

Team needs balance. More Newman. More DJJ. More TKR. Helps take the load off of the starters (Morton, Furst, Loyer) that seem to have hit a wall.

We are better with equal hands lifting. Edey really the only guy who you can look to carry the minutes. Everything else has to be “by committee “. Hot hands. Good 2 way play. Need all 9 in the active rotation to be the good version of themselves and play complimentary basketball from here on out.

Game today was built for Gillis and he embraced it. Looking for Furst, Morton and Loyer to embrace the moments in the same way.
As Painter mentioned Morton was good today, two big threes a big block. He had big threes that helped win at Wisconsin. Off the bench duty seems to be good for him.

As Painter mentioned Morton was good today, two big threes a big block. He had big threes that helped win at Wisconsin. Off the bench duty seems to be good for him.
And honestly I don’t care if it’s starting or off the bench. It can’t be 30+ minutes and it can’t be ineffective. Only 2 guys in the team should be getting 30+ (Smith and Edey) and today Painter was totally justified in sitting Smith early.

Can’t say this plug and play/flexibility approach as been bad for us lately.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Painter should play the best 5 players: Edey, Gillis, Newman, Jenkins, and Smith...and have Morton, Loyer, Furst, Kaufman-Renn come off the bench.

It is tournament time...give yourself the best chance at winning.

Reactions: TX4GB
besides smith, he is the only player who even resembles a pg. who would play it when smith and jenkins rest? morton? loyer? waddel? you have to think about the rotations and not just about putting the best players on the court all at once.
That’s true. But just because they start together doesn’t mean you can’t stagger their minutes and also play them separately.

Reactions: Boiler8285
NO! This team will not do anything in March Madness unless Fletcher gets going. If he starts hitting this team will be back to non-conference level type play. He's our only shot at a FF in my eyes.

Reactions: 22larry22
Loyer will be fine. If teams drop off of him he will make them pay. Teams dropping off of our 4's to double team Zach helped Mason score 20. Jenkins has been great off the bench not sure why we would prefer a freshman in that role. Purdue is 27-5 ranked in the top 5 just won the B10 and has advanced in the B10 tourney. This post is what Painter meant about people talking shit about his team on the internet! Turns out he was wrong even after a win some are still talking shit on the internet.

Reactions: mathboy
Loyer will be fine. If teams drop off of him he will make them pay. Teams dropping off of our 4's to double team Zach helped Mason score 20. Jenkins has been great off the bench not sure why we would prefer a freshman in that role. Purdue is 27-5 ranked in the top 5 just won the B10 and has advanced in the B10 tourney. This post is what Painter meant about people talking shit about his team on the internet! Turns out he was wrong even after a win some are still talking shit on the internet.

Relax, nobody is talking shit at all about Loyer, Painter or the team whatsoever in this thread (at least that I can observe).

Loyer just isn’t handling the physical play right now. He’s not getting a lot of great looks and when he does get one, he’s missing. I think giving DJJ more of his minutes is a good idea.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Everyone one is banged up this time of year and dealing with something. You figure out how to push through it. One more reason why freshmen usually struggle.

If you rewatch Rutgers, it’s pretty obvious his right calf is bothering him.

20% from 3 in his last 51 attempts... And he's always been a - defender. And under 32% for the full season which is also really bad for the volume he shoots.

Don't care about starting but significantly less minutes are needed. Nothing personal, but he's going to need the off season to reset. This has gone too long, and this is much more than a "slump"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT