ADVERTISEMENT

Jones and Loyer...

Aug 20, 2010
Loyer was given a TON of crap from a lot of folks on here. For a stretch he was struggling... Without his 14 points... 2nd leading scorer and timely 3's we are crying for a different reason currently... Also... The absolute stones on Jones to hit that late 3 after the game he was having... Total and complete redemption...

When they hit those I was happy for them.

But I was mainly excited as it represented more balance in the offense. We were getting too one dimensional, feeding the post. So those helped Purdue as we needed some outside shooting to keep the D honest. Timely, great offense in a game where anything other than ZE was hard to come by.

Whomever was the idiot savant that said Purdue would shoot in the 20%s from 3 in the tourney.....and get beat. You were half right. How about that?

Last edited:
Loyer was given a TON of crap from a lot of folks on here. For a stretch he was struggling... Without his 14 points... 2nd leading scorer and timely 3's we are crying for a different reason currently... Also... The absolute stones on Jones to hit that late 3 after the game he was having... Total and complete redemption...
Both were playing their hearts out. And it was the best defensive game of the year for Loyer. Gillis played his heart out, too. People who only look at the box score would think Jones and Gillis didn't contribute much.

It's not so far by road from Carbondale to W Lafayette, but the results for Jones turned into a dream come true.

It seems as though Lance has struggled the first half for a few games now and then he gets a bit more in control the second half

Jones’ defense on Knecht down the stretch was huge. I know this sounds odd when Knecht scored 37, but Jones forced a lot of missed shots.

I never would have guessed that Heide would be guarding Ziegler while Jones was guarding Knecht, but it worked. Speaks to Heide’s lateral quickness and Jones’ ability to fight through screens, play physically without fouling, and disrupt the second best player in the country.

Last edited:
I never would have guessed that Heide would be guard Ziegler while Jones was guarding Knecht, but it worked. Speaks to Heide’s lateral quickness and Jones’ ability to fight through screens, play physically without fouling, and disrupt the second best player in the country.
Love it! This was considered one of his weaknesses out of high school. Redshirt year and off-season, he has worked hard to improve it.

Jones’ defense on Knecht down the stretch was huge. I know this sounds odd when Knecht scored 37, but Jones forced a lot of missed shots.

I never would have guessed that Heide would be guarding Ziegler while Jones was guarding Knecht, but it worked. Speaks to Heide’s lateral quickness and Jones’ ability to fight through screens, play physically without fouling, and disrupt the second best player in the country.
Yeah, somebody ...maybe young at Maryland Cam defended and you could see it. Still, 6'7" on 5'9"...that says something. Lance and Braden got together on some aggressive switches the last couple of minutes to corral Knecht...who I also thought was getting a bit tired on his shots. However, Lance was great the second half after a rough start.

Reactions: Schnelk and dayhr11
Yeah, somebody ...maybe young at Maryland Cam defended and you could see it. Still, 6'7" on 5'9"...that says something. Lance and Braden got together on some aggressive switches the last couple of minutes to corral Knecht...who I also thought was getting a bit tired on his shots. However, Lance was great the second half after a rough start.
Without Jones this year, PU is not in the hunt right now.

We wear guys out over the course of a game with intense defensive pressure that typically starts soft and then builds and builds.
And because they are trying to play fast to counter the height.
How many times has someone scorched us in the first half, only to fall off the table in the 2nd half> (a lot)
In most part because of Zach you see SO many guys trying to be 1 step faster than they really are. Can't be taller, gotta beat them with speed. And for a half, you can see some impressive speed. But it almost always falls off in the 2nd half relative to how much work they had to do to get those shots off early. And we are always making defensive adjustments at halftime that usually shakes up the status quo and who's guarding whom.
A lot of times the score might be close, but if we've (ok Zach) has gotten 3 fouls on 2 of their bigs and/or we're running the legs off their shooters and pg with pressure, we have a lot more of an advantage than it often appears. In this case, just enough.... :)

Without Jones this year, PU is not in the hunt right now.
He was huge right out of the gate for Purdue. The minute I saw him defend I knew he would bring more energy to Braden by taking the PG many times and other scorers as well along with another ball handler to help Braden break any press

Reactions: Schnelk
He was huge right out of the gate for Purdue. The minute I saw him defend I knew he would bring more energy to Braden by taking the PG many times and other scorers as well along with another ball handler to help Braden break any press
We saw it at the first scrimmage where he and Braden went at it like brothers.
It's no stretch to credit some of Bradens impressive growth with going against Lance in practice.

Both were playing their hearts out. And it was the best defensive game of the year for Loyer. Gillis played his heart out, too. People who only look at the box score would think Jones and Gillis didn't contribute much.
Come on man. Give it a rest. They have box scores for a reason. They mean something, Why do you think Painter knows stats as soon as he's being interviewed while walking off the court? Clue, because he's getting the stats in real time. Have you ever watched a post-game press conference? What do you think is on that piece of paper Painter and the players are staring at while being asked questions?

I'm sure it's just one piece of information he uses to assess a guy's performance but Painter quotes stats all the time.

Your comments about Gillis and Jones are silly. Gillis got 8 rebounds and 3 assists. Those are stats and do reflect his play. Didn't shoot well but impacted the game in other areas. Jones made quite a few bad choices on offense but hit that key three. Three for 8 shooting (1-4 from 3) with seven points (which is below his averages) is pretty indicative of his offensive game.

Gillis ripped down a couple-three of his rebounds in the last 8 minutes or so. One or two or them he won the battle taking it away from the UT players at critical moments in the game. He made up for his lack of 3 point shooting with those to me.
Yes...he had probably 5 to 6 throughout the entire game that now stick out when you watch the replays. He was also very good with his fakes and entry passes to Edey.

He's a beast.

Come on man. Give it a rest. They have box scores for a reason. They mean something, Why do you think Painter knows stats as soon as he's being interviewed while walking off the court? Clue, because he's getting the stats in real time. Have you ever watched a post-game press conference? What do you think is on that piece of paper Painter and the players are staring at while being asked questions?

I'm sure it's just one piece of information he uses to assess a guy's performance but Painter quotes stats all the time.

Your comments about Gillis and Jones are silly. Gillis got 8 rebounds and 3 assists. Those are stats and do reflect his play. Didn't shoot well but impacted the game in other areas. Jones made quite a few bad choices on offense but hit that key three. Three for 8 shooting (1-4 from 3) with seven points (which is below his averages) is pretty indicative of his offensive game.
Why so defensive? Was I unintentionally describing you? You admitting that Painter does not make his decisions based on the box score alone proves my point. About you, I guess. Give it a rest and enjoy the game and the winning players.

And that crap was much deserved at the time! He was playing poorly for a significant stretch of games.

Great to see him turn it around and come up huge in the tournament!

Yes...he had probably 5 to 6 throughout the entire game that now stick out when you watch the replays. He was also very good with his fakes and entry passes to Edey.

He's a beast.
Yes. And need that same floor game AND for Gillis to be shooting confidently against NC St and (potentially) UCONN!

Reactions: DrEss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT