ADVERTISEMENT

The rotation

BoilerDaddy

All-American
Mar 26, 2009
I averaged up the minutes played in the last 3 games and am seeing a much tighter rotation than we have seen all year:

Smith 39
Edey 37
Jones 31
Loyer 30
Gillis 26
Heide 17
Kaufman-Renn 15
Morton 4
Furst 3

I think this probably reflects the distribution that we’ll see in the NCAA tournament. As much as I root for all the players on the team, I like it. I don’t mind Gillis coming off the bench, but I am glad than he is getting starter level minutes at the 4. Heide has established himself as the primary guard off the bench and I think that he has definitely earned it. Smith and Edey have shown that they can handle huge minutes, so I say play your stars.

I have to believe CMP sees the same and adjusts practices to allow for recovery. My guess is, more and more of this is film and mental preparation and less physical. Go shoot your 1000 free throws, do the drills, but study your opponent.

I averaged up the minutes played in the last 3 games and am seeing a much tighter rotation than we have seen all year:

Smith 39
Edey 37
Jones 31
Loyer 30
Gillis 26
Heide 17
Kaufman-Renn 15
Morton 4
Furst 3

I think this probably reflects the distribution that we’ll see in the NCAA tournament. As much as I root for all the players on the team, I like it. I don’t mind Gillis coming off the bench, but I am glad than he is getting starter level minutes at the 4. Heide has established himself as the primary guard off the bench and I think that he has definitely earned it. Smith and Edey have shown that they can handle huge minutes, so I say play your stars.
Gillis has handled starter minutes all year tbh. He’s the closer. It sometimes make me not understand why people care so much about who starts. It’s all about who is finishing the game and where the minutes go wants the game starts. the two headed monster of him and TKR has been great all year. I like that Heide has overtaken Morton’s minutes. Heide can be a huge weapon on defense and then surprise some ppl on offense

The people who Painter is playing are our currently best 2-way players. Morton and Furst can't cut it on offense and don't offer anything special on defense. Colvin would be great to have on offense but he is horrific on defense off the ball and good teams would score at will on him. Berg I assume the game would just be too fast for him on both sides of the ball but I would still like to see him play against the Wisconsin 1st team in the 1st half to see how he does.

Reactions: urbanhack
Yep that’s the rotation going forward except maybe in the BTT he gives Morton, Furst and maybe even Colvin a few more minutes.

Gillis has handled starter minutes all year tbh. He’s the closer. It sometimes make me not understand why people care so much about who starts. It’s all about who is finishing the game and where the minutes go wants the game starts. the two headed monster of him and TKR has been great all year. I like that Heide has overtaken Morton’s minutes. Heide can be a huge weapon on defense and then surprise some ppl on offense
Trey getting minutes helps compensate for him not getting many last year as far as experience, not that he should have got more last year. If Zach goes down or to the bench, Trey can help plug the hole as he did against Illinois at Mackey. Playing Trey helps build for tomorrow. Playing Trey makes Purdue more versatile. You want to battle in the lane, Purdue isn't so weak doing that. You want a perimeter game...hello Mason...Mason's production is probably similar if he had 35 minutes and so Purdue now is more versatile and the other teams have to spend a bit of time preparing for both...and subbing for both if they are matching up. Purdue hasn't lost a game due to playing both and are actually better going forward this year AND certainly next year. Obviously it has worked out well and gives Matt more options. What coach doesn't want viable options?

Cam will help in the tourney. His D helps and he is capable of scoring a bit. Although his offense is a bit behind, he rarely throws the ball away or creates a turnover. He will work his butt off or he will hear about it from Braden in the apartment! ;)

I also expect Ethan and Caleb to get minutes in the second tourney as well...AND think they will provide some valuable minutes away from the Big. I won't be surprised if Myles gets some minutes in the second tourney if Purdue has the game put away. Purdue was excellent over the last 4+ months and now there are two single elimination seasons in front of this team. One is a 3 game max and the other is a 6 game max. Purdue has already played 3 times the games that can still be played and did well. This team is very capable, but also vulnerable under the right conditions.

Trey getting minutes helps compensate for him not getting many last year as far as experience, not that he should have got more last year. If Zach goes down or to the bench, Trey can help plug the hole as he did against Illinois at Mackey. Playing Trey helps build for tomorrow. Playing Trey makes Purdue more versatile. You want to battle in the lane, Purdue isn't so weak doing that. You want a perimeter game...hello Mason...Mason's production is probably similar if he had 35 minutes and so Purdue now is more versatile and the other teams have to spend a bit of time preparing for both...and subbing for both if they are matching up. Purdue hasn't lost a game due to playing both and are actually better going forward this year AND certainly next year. Obviously it has worked out well and gives Matt more options. What coach doesn't want viable options?

Cam will help in the tourney. His D helps and he is capable of scoring a bit. Although his offense is a bit behind, he rarely throws the ball away or creates a turnover. He will work his butt off or he will hear about it from Braden in the apartment! ;)

I also expect Ethan and Caleb to get minutes in the second tourney as well...AND think they will provide some valuable minutes away from the Big. I won't be surprised if Myles gets some minutes in the second tourney if Purdue has the game put away. Purdue was excellent over the last 4+ months and now there are two single elimination seasons in front of this team. One is a 3 game max and the other is a 6 game max. Purdue has already played 3 times the games that can still be played and did well. This team is very capable, but also vulnerable under the right conditions.
Always able to articulate exactly what I’m thinking TJ haha. Agree 100%

Reactions: tjreese

Smith 39
Edey 37
Jones 31
Loyer 30
Gillis 26
Heide 17
Kaufman-Renn 15
Morton 4
Furst 3

This has happened most years, and will happen next year ... which will be a major subject of debate here.

Reactions: tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT