ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time for Jenkins to replace Loyer?

Loyer will be fine. If teams drop off of him he will make them pay. Teams dropping off of our 4's to double team Zach helped Mason score 20. Jenkins has been great off the bench not sure why we would prefer a freshman in that role. Purdue is 27-5 ranked in the top 5 just won the B10 and has advanced in the B10 tourney. This post is what Painter meant about people talking shit about his team on the internet! Turns out he was wrong even after a win some are still talking shit on the internet.
Who’s talking shit? I don’t see anyone talking shit.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
Jenkins has been very good off the bench. I’d start Loyer and see if this is the game he finds his shot, but have a pretty quick hook. Minutes after that depend on who is “making shots” as Painter said he is looking for. Same with Newman, last game it was Morton who made shots ( as he did at Wisconsin). Start Newman but come with Morton if Newman does another Ofer. Kudos to Newman for playing D and rebounding , that helps if he is not hitting. Loyer however, is not great defensively or on the boards.

Reactions: urbanhack
NO! This team will not do anything in March Madness unless Fletcher gets going. If he starts hitting this team will be back to non-conference level type play. He's our only shot at a FF in my eyes.
Newman is filling his outside shooter role nicely right now and is thriving with more pt. His efforts on the D has been game changing at times.
our only shot at FF is not on Loyer.

Newman is filling his outside shooter role nicely right now and is thriving with more pt. His efforts on the D has been game changing at times.
our only shot at FF is not on Loyer.
We need an elite shooter to get going. Outside of Smith theres no one but Fletcher that has proven they can consistently hit multiple 3s a game. Newman is nice but I dont see him going on a tear and hitting 3+ 3s in multiple games in a row.

We need an elite shooter to get going. Outside of Smith theres no one but Fletcher that has proven they can consistently hit multiple 3s a game. Newman is nice but I dont see him going on a tear and hitting 3+ 3s in multiple games in a row.
Unfortunately Loyer has hit on one shot in his last 14 attempts in his last three games. He will be needed badly to find the mark in the tournament.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Jenkins cant start next to Smith. When Smiths off we need Jenkins on. They can play together but it makes no sense for them to start together. Jenkins can play 20-25 minutes off the bench.

That isn't relevant. I was responding to you saying we need a shooter outside of Smith that can consistently hit. Jenkins is that.

Reactions: DannyGranger
That isn't relevant. I was responding to you saying we need a shooter outside of Smith that can consistently hit. Jenkins is that.

And JENKS has that knack for the end of the half Bomb Shot. :)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I like the way we have been playing in the BTT. Still need some work in breaking the press. Zach has been really good. Good complementary efforts in the Rutgers game by Gillis, Jenkins, and Morton. Good complementary efforts in the Ohio St. game by Newman, Smith, and Furst. If we have 2-4 guys besides Edey having really good games and the others being ok, then we will be fine.

Reactions: Schnelk
Loyer another bad shooting game yesterday!!! Painter needs to sit him to start psu game!!! Edey...Gillis ..Smith ...Newman....Morton.....Only sayin Morton over Loyer for now....need better perimeter defense on psu shooters....Loyer more of a liabilty on defense and since he ain't scoring.....

Last edited:
Successful teams have veteran leadership do their thing come tourney time.

Jenkins stepping into that 3 bomb before half is what we need...stability and confidence. Time for Loyer to sit and sub in as much as CMP sees fit, he will get there one day.

I'd advise you to pay attention then!
The kid is PLAYING BALL
1) the kid can shoot it
2) he's taking his shots in the flow of the game, not forcing. (same with Fletch, kudos for that)
3)his confidence is soaring, as opposed to Fletch who can't throw it in the ocean Right Now.

I like Fletcher a lot but I predicted last year that he was too slight to be a factor in the Big 10 as a frosh and other than a couple of games that's held true. He's going to be very good before he's done but right now teams are picking on him successfully. It's mostly matchups like yesterday when he's against a much larger guard that bullies him. Can't wait until he answers back with 3 or 4 shots in a row.
But I'm afraid thats for next year probably. I'd be thrilled to be wrong :)

Last edited:
I'd advise you to pay attention then!
The kid is PLAYING BALL
1) the kid can shoot it
2) he's taking his shots in the flow of the game, not forcing. (same with Fletch, kudos for that)
3)his confidence is soaring, as opposed to Fletch who can't throw it in the ocean Right Now.

I like Fletcher a lot but I predicted last year that he was too slight to be a factor in the Big 10 as a frosh and other than a couple of games that's held true. He's going to be very good before he's done but right now teams are picking on him successfully. It's mostly matchups like yesterday when he's against a much larger guard that bullies him. Can't wait until he answers back with 3 or 4 shots in a row.
But I'm afraid thats for next year probably. I'd be thrilled to be wrong :)
If Loyer would put a little more air on his shots, I think he would start making them again. Looks like they are a little to flat to me.

Reactions: dkgaffney4
If Loyer would put a little more air on his shots, I think he would start making them again. Looks like they are a little to flat to me.
He probably shoots 100+3's every day in practice and hits 50% or better. I think he's got the yips, is aiming the ball, hoping it goes in, instead of just firing away like a shooter's supposed to.
Who knows, he might pull a Cuonzo Martin and go crazy in a game like Zo did vs Kansas in the'94 S16.

He probably shoots 100+3's every day in practice and hits 50% or better. I think he's got the yips, is aiming the ball, hoping it goes in, instead of just firing away like a shooter's supposed to.
Who knows, he might pull a Cuonzo Martin and go crazy in a game like Zo did vs Kansas in the'94 S16.
Maybe so, but the one he hit in the game with the clock running out was a high arching shot. I hope he starts filling it real soon.

Maybe so, but the one he hit in the game with the clock running out was a high arching shot. I hope he starts filling it real soon.
ha ha. Yeh, he can hit the desperation 28 footer with the clock winding down and a guy in his face but clanks the wide open, top of the key without anyone within 10 feet. Go figure.....

Were the people wanting Loyer to be replaced in the starting lineup the same people who wanted Carsen to be replaced when he was in his shooting funk going into the tournament?
Carsen never got abused physically on both ends of the floor like Fletcher does game in and game out. It's not his fault he's so skinny, but it IS reality. And it's been hurting us some. Certainly if he's not shooting there isn't much reason for him to be on the floor. And he's not doing that either.

Reactions: bonefish1
Carsen never got abused physically on both ends of the floor like Fletcher does game in and game out. It's not his fault he's so skinny, but it IS reality. And it's been hurting us some. Certainly if he's not shooting there isn't much reason for him to be on the floor. And he's not doing that either.
I don't know how/why it ends up Haters or Lovers and apparently nothing in between.
I love Fletch. Think he's going to be great in time. He's from my hometown (well high school anyway)
But he's getting pounded, seems worn out and can't hit a shot to save his life or this team.

I was not surprised to see him with a knee brace on. He's been knocked to the floor consistently since the game at Ass Hall.

Comparing Carson and Fletcher is like comparing apples and oranges. Carson was a proven beast who could also drive and take over games. Loyer cannot
I'm in the camp of evening out their minutes doesn't matter who starts, prefer Jenks in there against the press

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT