ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois at Purdue MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Were his legs wider than shoulder width? Perhaps it was legit. I only saw one other call that was legitimate against Edey and one that I thought he got away with on a rebound. All in all, he probably should have had two fouls and should not have been in foul trouble. If he's in for his normal 30+, Purdue easily wins.
All screens are wider than shoulders, but at some point wider
than shoulders is too wide. Need a solid base and so a little wider can grow to too wide

He forced Morton over and over, refused to consider Cam's athletic ability as a positive sub, etc etc
Morton was the only one that slowed Domask down. He was outstanding. Cam is a very good jumper and seems pretty athletic for a bigger guy but there's no way he's as quick as Morton. Who is also very tough.

Wasn't referring to just the IL game, and not even just this year. Maybe its just what sticks out to me, but we seem to have a habit of letting teams back in the game and making it close at the end.
Last years freshmen guards are now sophs. Better but far from perfect.
That's also what happens in many (most) sports when a team plays at 100% efficiency and then doesn't.

Another minor ref issue from last night: After Hawkins traveled, Purdue had a pretty bad possession, taking 2 shots that didn't hit the rim as far as I could tell. It should have been a shot clock violation, but wasn't, and Hawkins hit the 3 around Edey to make it a 3-point game. If they call the violation, Illinois has to inbound it and we set up our defense, and probably get Edey out of the game.

Not sure if it's the refs or the (home) clock operator, but it looked like a mistake either way.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Haha hey if that’s what it took for the team to execute, I’m all for it TJ!
Or it may have been Lew Jack at Mackey last night...he knew how to do it...as did Carsen. Even Ronnie Johnson knew how. It has been the teams without any of those players mentioned that may have had problems

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Or it may have been Lew Jack at Mackey last night...he knew how to do it...as did Carsen. Even Ronnie Johnson knew how. It has been the teams without any of those players mentioned that may have had problems
Lew Jack got any eligibility left?! 😂

He may not like the style of shorts tho these days.

Reactions: tjreese
Lew Jack got any eligibility left?! 😂

He may not like the style of shorts tho these days.
I don't know what was announced, but Scheffler (Steve) was sitting beside Frank Kendrick and Ryan Cline did his beer drink for the fans.

Frank’s the best. I see him at Costco often and he always says hey, even though he doesn’t know me. (I’m usually wearing Purdue gear)
If you ever introduce yourself, he will remember your name next time you see him…or at least that’s how it was in the past. He’s a great guy.

Another minor ref issue from last night: After Hawkins traveled, Purdue had a pretty bad possession, taking 2 shots that didn't hit the rim as far as I could tell. It should have been a shot clock violation, but wasn't, and Hawkins hit the 3 around Edey to make it a 3-point game. If they call the violation, Illinois has to inbound it and we set up our defense, and probably get Edey out of the game.

Not sure if it's the refs or the (home) clock operator, but it looked like a mistake either way.
Also, the “lane violation” on TKR’s first front end miss. I didn’t really see one there and Gillis had the offensive rebound and Purdue would have had another possession but they made the call which gave him another front end that he also missed and Illinois rebounded.

Also, the “lane violation” on TKR’s first front end miss. I didn’t really see one there and Gillis had the offensive rebound and Purdue would have had another possession but they made the call which gave him another front end that he also missed and Illinois rebounded.
I think they said it was Goode coming in from the top.

Reactions: Hausta01
Purdue beats another Top 10 team and because a freshman who clearly struggles on defense didn't play, some people here "blame" the coach and say Painter is "stubborn". These people are making these complaints without any information (ignorance) about how Colvin is practicing or even if he participated in all practices. Matt Painter was right when he commented about the ignorance of some comments.

Purdue beats another Top 10 team and because a freshman who clearly struggles on defense didn't play, some people here "blame" the coach and say Painter is "stubborn". These people are making these complaints without any information (ignorance) about how Colvin is practicing or even if he participated in all practices. Matt Painter was right when he commented about the ignorance of some comments.
I wish he could have got 2-4 min when we were up 21 just for experience in that type of atmosphere BUT I recognize this game was not one for him to play in as I’m not sure he could have guarded anyone on their team well (at this point in his career that is). I hope he can get experience over the next two months to be able to contribute to match and on. I want Heide to keep getting mins tho. If he can keep gaining confidence he will help out immensely with his athleticism and shot making ability down the stretch.

Some have a hard time understanding that Matt may not share the same view as some and think he is stubborn. It isn't that he is stubborn, but that he holds a different opinion than those that believe they are right and Matt just won't do what they believe. I have no doubt Matt could list reasons why he does what he does based upon substance and if those sitting with him as he explained his thoughts they would see a new understanding. They may or may not agree with Matt, but they would understand the reasoning he uses

Some have a hard time understanding that Matt may not share the same view as some and think he is stubborn. It isn't that he is stubborn, but that he holds a different opinion than those that believe they are right and Matt just won't do what they believe. I have no doubt Matt could list reasons why he does what he does based upon substance and if those sitting with him as he explained his thoughts they would see a new understanding. They may or may not agree with Matt, but they would understand the reasoning he uses
For sure makes total sense. I think ppl say he’s stubborn because he continues to do things the same way/not try anything new and then the March results occur and ppl get upset because that’s what the overall perception of Purdue or any team for that matter is perceived as on a national stage. Please know I’m not saying he’s stubborn, just trying to think like im on the other side of the argument.

For sure makes total sense. I think ppl say he’s stubborn because he continues to do things the same way/not try anything new and then the March results occur and ppl get upset because that’s what the overall perception of Purdue or any team for that matter is perceived as on a national stage. Please know I’m not saying he’s stubborn, just trying to think like im on the other side of the argument.
But this is not true. Robbie Hummel and Rapheal Davis have both said that this team plays very differently than when they were playing at Purdue. People have (stubbornly) repeated that Painter was stubborn because he wouldn't play freshmen, even after he started multiple freshmen. I have watched Painter's team since he arrived at Purdue, and everything -- recruiting, style of play, demeanor on the sidelines -- is different.

But this is not true. Robbie Hummel and Rapheal Davis have both said that this team plays very differently than when they were playing at Purdue. People have (stubbornly) repeated that Painter was stubborn because he wouldn't play freshmen, even after he started multiple freshmen. I have watched Painter's team since he arrived at Purdue, and everything -- recruiting, style of play, demeanor on the sidelines -- is different.
Add to it that guards can’t flourish under Matt was said a lot.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Agreed just was trying to say why ppl think he’s stubborn and all they look at is the results in march.

People/fans will many times blame a coach when a team loses. It is just what happens. People that blame March losses on schematics are many times misguided and unaware of the particulars in play and so of course it may look that things are the same. A couple of years ago I posted a few youtubes of the North Texas game and broke them down for all to see. The overhelping was pointed out a LOT in that game, but was never a reason listed before posting and the quietness in response to the videos suggest a lack of interest to discuss.

Other than making plays or not making plays the only schematic loss that sticks in my mind was VCU, but I totally understand the reasoning that took place. In that game, Purdue had been very successful the whole season with half court pressure and that approach continued against VCU. However, their PG was very successful against it and in my mind I would have like to see less pressure on the ball, but make no mistake Purdue had a lot of success with pressure for many games and no doubt thought it was just a matter of time it would lead to a Purdue victory based upon many games that year. If Matt had backed off the pressure and VCU still won, fans would have thought this loss was like the others. It is just what happens. Fans do this because they believe they are correct unaware that their thoughts may be much worse. This is high stakes basketball and a lab experiment can be devastating in a couple of minutes. Lastly, and this goes for much, if not all of life....there are NO solutions, just trade offs. What trade off is best (outside of lucky guess) can only be made by the relevant knowledge in the appropriate domain. That is not to say that decision is best, but to say there is logic behind it and generally better than a decision absent that knowledge in the appropriate domain. It is impossible to have higher thought without the appropriate knowledge in the relevant domain in ALL areas of life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT