ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois at Purdue MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

The screw job was in for the refs. Horrific call on the Jones block out. Literally criminal.

Braden was tired during the bad stretch of ball. We needed him to play basically the entire game (haven't seen box score but probably played 37 minutes) because of Edey's foul trouble. When Braden is focused and rested we are the best team in the country. As he wears down in the 2nd half, other teams can make their runs.

The only thing I would be critical of from Painter is to manage Braden's minutes better but it is what it is. We needed him the whole game because Painter doesn't have another true PG on the team when Edey was in foul trouble. Team lost its focus in the 2nd half and Ill pounced.

Looking at that again. What in the eff did Jones do? That was worse than the terrible Loyer flagrant against Maryland. Purdue was melting down a little but then that BS just cemented Illinois' comeback.

I think Edey being out so long with fouls threw off the rhythm of both offense and defense.

Looking at that again. What in the eff did Jones do? That was worse than the terrible Loyer flagrant against Maryland. Purdue was melting down a little but then that BS just cemented Illinois' comeback.

I think Edey being out so long with fouls threw off the rhythm of both offense and defense.
Edey being out led to TKR playing extended minutes and opened up the lane for Domask. The trip on the screen was an awful call - he was stationary and the guy tripped. His second foul was an over the back that was ticky tack as well. It completely changed the game and directly led to the Illinois comeback. Thankfully, the "hope the refs screw Purdue" strategy is hard to pull off.

I'm not sure it was the worst ref'ed game overall that I've seen, but it definitely had some of the most egregious calls I've seen.. (and non-calls... Hawkins definitely earned a T or two...)
They didn't even review the play when Gillis went down. I didn't think it was anything particularly egregious, but they didn't even look. Jones clearly deserved to go to the line. Guerrier tried to jump over him - not the fault of the guy with position.

A win is a win. This team isn't the '97 Bulls and can be gotten through fatigue. Need to keep things simple in the middle stage of the 2nd half when fatigue sets in and run simple post up action. Good mental toughness to beat a really good team tonight though.

Reactions: DG Boiler
The way I look at it, defenses now need to game plan for TKR. It’s all coming together for him and to Painter’s point in the offseason, he’s the factor that Purdue didn’t have when they couldn’t score against FDU last year. With Edey in foul trouble and the guards playing poorly, this was a big win for Purdue.

I'll take it, because it means he's due to hit for 37 against them when they roll into Champaign in several weeks.

Sure hope so! If they get TSJ back we might need that.

So far Loyer has a 4.5 scoring average vs Illinois in 2 games

Honestly looking at the box score Purdue in total played a really solid game. 45/41/80, 12 TO and winning the rebounding battle by 13 is a good game. Illinois is a really good team that just kept coming all night when Purdue couldnt keep the focus it had for the first 27 min of the game.

No doubt about that agreed
The call where DGL tripped on his foot when setting a screen and the other where an Illinois player ran into the other one and they called it on Zach…cmon now. He left at what, the 8 min mark in both halves? We were up 16 when he left in the 2nd…his fourth foul was legit, wish he could have made sure Guierrier missed tho.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT