ADVERTISEMENT

Hummell

Region Mike

Gold Member
Sep 17, 2001
Hummel said Edey the 2nd best player in Purdue history behind Big Dog. I think Rick Mount 2nd best. Averaged 32+ points per game and led us to the championship game against UCLA. Played with no 3 point line, which would have added significantly to his average. Edey is a great player, but not my choice for 2nd best. Hummel probably never saw Mount play, as he is much younger.

Reactions: ChuckJr
In my lifetime I’d agree with Hummel although Joe Barry Carroll was pretty damn good as well.
Same. I never saw Mount play and was too young to watch Joe Barry play in college. But I'd put Edey second behind Big Dog of players I've seen.

Hummel said Edey the 2nd best player in Purdue history behind Big Dog. I think Rick Mount 2nd best. Averaged 32+ points per game and led us to the championship game against UCLA. Played with no 3 point line, which would have added significantly to his average. Edey is a great player, but not my choice for 2nd best. Hummel probably never saw Mount play, as he is much younger.
Like the whole game, youve got to count defense.
And Mount didnt' mount much of that.....
Best shooter by far.

I think anytime one tries to compare players from the past to the current or recent players only confusion will happen. I have been lucky enough to have see all the teams at PU since Dave Schellhase (hope I spelled that right) and each and every team since then (most likely before as well) had stars. Some were all americans and some were not. There have been a few who could just take over a game, not just from scoring but in other ways as well. But to try and compare them is a fools task.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
JBC waaay over Edey..
Edey skilled in 7ft post for a dunk.
Shooting f.t.
JBC avge 17 for his career. And was a NBA All Star...

I have read that JBC had some zinger nicknames during his early nba carreer, when he went by JB Carroll and the bay area press didn't think he played hard enough:

Just Breathing and Joe Barely Cares.

I would include wooden. Wasn’t he a 2 time all American? We tend to forget about the players we never saw play
I was watching a podcast from a couple youngish guys discussing the BIG. Their topic was pick 1 player from each school's past that would make their current team better. For Purdue, they chose Vince Edwards. For Indiana, they chose Yogi Ferrell. Nothing against those 2, they were tremendous players. But haven't they heard of Glenn Robinson or Isiah Thomas? Sometimes it's sad how the earlier generations are forgotten.

Right now, Wooden, Mount, JBC are on my Purdue Mount Rushmore. Hope Edey gets a place there too next April.

Reactions: Schnelk
The Rocket averaged 32 pts per game without a 3 point line. Dude would have averaged 50 with 3 pointers. This is by far Purdue's best ever.

When debating between eras you also need to compare the competition. With the early entrances into the draft you really don't have a lot of super stars in college basketball anymore. The best NBA prospects leave after their freshman or sophomore years, so it's uncommon to see guys with NBA talent playing in college as juniors or seniors.

Just my opinion, but I think Edey is the college basketball player of the year but it's at least partly due to there not being a lot of other quality candidates out there.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
JBC waaay over Edey..
Edey skilled in 7ft post for a dunk.
Shooting f.t.
JBC avge 17 for his career. And was a NBA All Star...
I dont' agree.
Was a different time. A time when being 7' was enough to get you a scholarship whether you could play or not. (Ten Dam)
JBC was skilled and pretty strong and mostly had a nice touch for a big. MIGHT be quicker??? (who knows)
Zach is better at what JBC did (weird take eh?) even if he never makes it in the NBA.
And I was at Purdue for JBC's senior year. (got taped several times with him at the trainers)
His motor and motivation was questioned all through his career, though some of that was because he was quiet and thoughtful and very intelligent.

I was watching a podcast from a couple youngish guys discussing the BIG. Their topic was pick 1 player from each school's past that would make their current team better. For Purdue, they chose Vince Edwards. For Indiana, they chose Yogi Ferrell. Nothing against those 2, they were tremendous players. But haven't they heard of Glenn Robinson or Isiah Thomas? Sometimes it's sad how the earlier generations are forgotten.
George McGinnis for gods sake. Was a monster. Yogi? WTF?????? Quinn Buckner, Kent Benson, who were the forwards in 76, 77? Then the left shooter we couldn't stop, was BTPOY.
Same here with Vince. Was a decent 'avg' kind of "good" Boiler imo. But to the younger set, he seems to be a GOAT candidate.

I was only around 4 or 5 years old when JBC played but based on a few things such as they rode him to a Final Four, he was the #1 overall pick, his place in various all time stats in the record book, and the only Boilermaker to ever record a triple-double, I have to think that guy was a beast in college.

George McGinnis for gods sake. Was a monster. Yogi? WTF?????? Quinn Buckner, Kent Benson, who were the forwards in 76, 77? Then the left shooter we couldn't stop, was BTPOY.
Same here with Vince. Was a decent 'avg' kind of "good" Boiler imo. But to the younger set, he seems to be a GOAT candidate.

It was a great question/topic that those podcasters blundered so so poorly due to their ignorance of CBB beyond the last 10 or 15 years.

This seasons Purdue team with Glenn Robinson at the 4 would be crazy scary great offensively.

My pick for this seasons IU team would be Jimmy Rayl or Jay Edwards, for the outside shot making.

If McGinnis could play guard, he'd be my choice in a second.

With Big Dog on the team Zach would be a role player. I love Zach and think he's the 2nd best player ever from Purdue, but there wouldn't have been enough shots for Zach if Robinson was in the game. Who knows, maybe they would BOTH average 30 a game.

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
Vince was a baller, but he wouldn't add enough to this team to make us appreciably better. Hell, I would say Nojel would improve this team way more than Edwards.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
Vince was a baller, but he wouldn't add enough to this team to make us appreciably better. Hell, I would say Nojel would improve this team way more than Edwards.
Not a chance. Sophmore Nojel could make us better in some matchups, and play some offense/defense. But Edwards is a big upgrade over our pfs. He could do it all, maybe nothing at an elite level, but still at a high level. Nojel couldnt even hit free throws and hes a pg...

Reactions: johnboiler123
Not a chance. Sophmore Nojel could make us better in some matchups, and play some offense/defense. But Edwards is a big upgrade over our pfs. He could do it all, maybe nothing at an elite level, but still at a high level. Nojel couldnt even hit free throws and hes a pg...
Yeah we basically already have a Nojel on our team in Morton. Just don’t see what Nojel adds, at all.

IU player they need is sitting on their bench as an assistant…Calvert Cheaney

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Yeah we basically already have a Nojel on our team in Morton. Just don’t see what Nojel adds, at all.
I agree Easten isn't what this team needs as he'd be replacing a guy who is set to get about 10 to 15 minutes a game, but Eastern was a much better defender (2 time All-B1G defensive team) and (I never thought I'd say this) more skilled offensively. He averaged 7.5 points per game his sophomore year and shot nearly 50% from the field the year we won the B1G and got to the elite 8.

My guess is what these guys were talking about is what guy from Purdue's past would fill a need missing from this year's team? For my money it would be Dakota Mathias. A true glue guy who could do a little of everything. Defend, shoot and play within the system. Start him at the 3 and mix in Smith, Loyer and Jones at the 1 and 2 and I think you'd really have something special.

Last edited:
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Nojel was a much better defender and actually was a defensive stopper for the whole game, could handle it better than Morton, and actually was a threat around the hoop to score. Nojel is the defensive stopper this teams needs (crazy to say that haha).

Big George avg 30pts and 14.7 rebounds .....a 6'8" forward......And 2.8 assists in his only year at iu.
As a 1st year soph (Freshmen had to sit then)
Let that sink in..............

Last edited:
Reactions: 4IUSox2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT