ADVERTISEMENT

For Pete’s sake

People who make the argument that she has less points per game as a reason she isn't as good are really uneducated idiots.

Different eras blah blah blah. 3 years vs 4, he didn't have a 3 point shot....

What you can compare apples to apples is shot attempts per game for their career
Maravich: 38.1/game
Clark 19.9/game

For context Edey has shot 10.4/game
Image if Zach literally shot 4 times more than what he shoots now! People would be yelling from the top of buildings he's just a volume chucker.

Clark is doing this while taking almost HALF the shot attempts per game Pete took. She has taken almost exactly 500 less total shots than him even in 50 more total games. Yes she has the benefit of the 3 line which she has also made about 500 so it's fairly easy to see why her numbers have just passed his. She also has nearly 3% better total shooting numbers.

One thing people never talk about is while she is leading the country in scoring she is also leading the country in ASSISTS! How?
She is averaging almost 9 assists (8.7) per game which in itself is insane, but doing so while she also shots 20 times a game is nearly unbelievable.
I am not here to discredit Maravich. He was an incredible player, but just looking at points per game is an idiotic way to compare career stats. Especially when the players played in different lifetimes.

It's crazy people jump through hoops to say well she isn't as good as X player. Who cares. What she is doing is historic and awful fun to watch.

Wow! I did not know Pistol Pete took nearly twice as many shots per game as Caitlin Clark. And, you're right, her assist numbers are off the charts.

They're both all-time greats. No reason to denigrate either.

It was 19 dickety two. We had to say dickety, because that kaiser stole our word twenty. But the important thing was, I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. We didn't have white ones, because of the war, we had these big yellow ones. Back then nickels had bumble bees on them, give me 5 bees for a quarter they'd say. But the important thing was, I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time..........

Ah, your State of the Onion add dress … as coherent as anyone could expect these days.

And the OP is also acting like this somehow robs Pete Maravich of something. Someone who almost all basketball fans know the name of 55 years later, and several decades after his death. And probably will know for the foreseeable future. Does anyone wanna bet who remembers Caitlin Clark's name in 2079?

The OP doesn’t act. It says what it says in Plain’s English. How many reports bothered to mention Pete’s average or give his story? Ever seen anyone score like that? Except for Wilt off court?

Everybody understand the different eras caveat. Bringing it up every time a record is broken is silly IMO
But I don't understand the men's to women's comparison. They are two different games. Well, let me correct. I do understand why it is done. It's a narrative presented by the likes of Disney ESPN.

Comparing apples to oranges is a waste of time. Let it go.

In this case, the origin of the apples-to-oranges comparison was Century City, Fox HQ in LA, because BTN and all other Fox Sports networks suddenly went nuts over that fruity notion.

I just thought I’d pitch in and help those poor folks, using the 44 points per game vs. 28 to illustrate what people watching games could expect from each while also calling attention to our own scorers on the NCAA’s all-time list. I still much prefer Mount and Stephanie White. Or Wooden and Peck. Or Joe Barry and Ukari. Or Glenn and the Katies. Or Zach and MaChelle. Our pup likes Brittany. And, of course, Big Dog. And then we have our own Half-Court Pistol Purdue Pete.

People who make the argument that she has less points per game as a reason she isn't as good are really uneducated idiots.

What you can compare apples to apples is shot attempts per game for their career
Clark 19.9/game

Image if Zach literally shot 4 times more than what he shoots now! People would be yelling from the top of buildings he's just a volume chucker.

Clark is doing this while taking almost HALF the shot attempts per game Pete took. She has taken almost exactly 500 less total shots than him even in 50 more total games. Yes she has the benefit of the 3 line which she has also made about 500 so it's fairly easy to see why her numbers have just passed his. She also has nearly 3% better total shooting numbers.

One thing people never talk about is while she is leading the country in scoring she is also leading the country in ASSISTS! How?
She is averaging almost 9 assists (8.7) per game which in itself is insane, but doing so while she also shots 20 times a game is nearly unbelievable.
I am not here to discredit Maravich. He was an incredible player, but just looking at points per game is an idiotic way to compare career stats. Especially when the players played in different lifetimes.

It's crazy people jump through hoops to say well she isn't as good as X player. Who cares. What she is doing is historic and awful fun to watch.

Where did anyone say Caitlin Clark isn’t good? Where did anyone compare man vs. girl abilities? Where’s anyone trying to wear a wife-beater shirt? Besides during warmup drills?

The point is total points vs. scoring -- as in 44-28 in points per game -- an illustration for the many who never got to see Pete play as to why even the NBA still refers to him as one of the game’s greatest showmen … regardless of idiotic concepts of eras. The best players play the best players.

And, for the record, LSU had losing seasons in 11 of the 13 years before Pete Maravich arrived, going 6-20 and 3-23 in the two seasons before he played varsity, so he literally shot the Tigers back into respectability with records of 14-12, 13-13 and 22-10 as a senior, winning his record contract.

He also averaged 6.4 rebounds and 5.1 assists for his college career and impacted LSU to the point that it immediately built the 13,215-seat LSU Assembly Center, opened in 1972 and renamed the Pete Maravich Assembly Center in 1988 just after his death.

His crowd-pleasing play established him as one of the sport’s all-time icons, yet many here have missed the point of seeing why. Here’s what the NBA shows …

Reactions: tjreese
She's brought a lot of attention to the women's game. I've never seen such coverage of a woman basketball player as she was reaching the records. Awfully good for their game. Indiana is lucky to be in the position to get her. She's gonna be the steph curry of wnba.

We keep hearing about Caitlin Clark passing the 3,667 college career points by Pete Maravich. Like a broken record.

What no one has been saying, though, is that Pistol Pete averaged 44 points per game for his career. Forty-Four. He did so playing in 83 varsity games for LSU. Caitlin needed 130 games to pass his NCAA record point total and is now averaging 28 points per game for her career.

So, the all-time scorer? Generally, from game to game, from season to season, we only talk averages, whether it’s scoring or rebounding. And, in most basketball circles, 44-28 is a blowout.

Time to re-appreciate the 6-foot-5 showman who dazzled with his ball skills as well as his scoring, truly topping all of college basketball. Injuries cut short Pete’s NBA career as a five-time All-Star with one league scoring championship in his 10 years, and then he suddenly passed away at age 40, succumbing to a previously undetected major heart defect … while playing in a pickup game.

Maravich still stands tallest on college basketball’s all-time list for career scoring average … by a long shot. At 44.2, he’s 10 points per game ahead of second-place Austin Carr of Notre Dame (34.6) (who also was damned fun to watch) and third-place Oscar Robertson of Cincinnati (33.8), followed by Calvin Murphy of Niagara (33.1), Bo Lamar of Louisiana (32.7), Frank Selvy of Furman (32.5) and (someone you may have heard of) seventh-place Rick Mount of Purdue (32.3).

Maravich, Carr, Murphy and Mount all played between 1967 and 1971 -- limited by rule to three years of varsity apiece, based on the wild concept that freshmen needed to study -- during the time Wooden’s teams absolutely dominated the NCAA. It’s an era worth knowing and remembering. The game reached a peak. When giants roamed the earth. And shot the lights out.

The all-time NCAA scoring list -- with four Boilermakers in the top 40 and two Benton Rangers in the top 50 -- at https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/men/pts-per-g-player-career.html.
I watched Austin Carr go for around 60 at Butler years ago. Pete was special...quite a showman and ball handler . Some of his passing was unbelievable...

Where did anyone say Caitlin Clark isn’t good? Where did anyone compare man vs. girl abilities? Where’s anyone trying to wear a wife-beater shirt? Besides during warmup drills?

The point is total points vs. scoring -- as in 44-28 in points per game -- an illustration for the many who never got to see Pete play as to why even the NBA still refers to him as one of the game’s greatest showmen … regardless of idiotic concepts of eras. The best players play the best players.

And, for the record, LSU had losing seasons in 11 of the 13 years before Pete Maravich arrived, going 6-20 and 3-23 in the two seasons before he played varsity, so he literally shot the Tigers back into respectability with records of 14-12, 13-13 and 22-10 as a senior, winning his record contract.

He also averaged 6.4 rebounds and 5.1 assists for his college career and impacted LSU to the point that it immediately built the 13,215-seat LSU Assembly Center, opened in 1972 and renamed the Pete Maravich Assembly Center in 1988 just after his death.

His crowd-pleasing play established him as one of the sport’s all-time icons, yet many here have missed the point of seeing why. Here’s what the NBA shows …

He was unbelievably smoothe. And fearless.

Clark 19.9/game

she is an excellent women's player. From what I understand (I haven't calculated it) you can take two of the women's basketballs and pass both through the rim side by side. You can't with a men's ball, there isn't as much extra room for error She is outstanding in the women's game. You can't compare the two and we shouldn't have to do that.

• Love
Reactions: Schnelk
I watched Austin Carr go for around 60 at Butler years ago. Pete was special...quite a showman and ball handler . Some of his passing was unbelievable...

Good for Caitlin Clark - she is a tremendously gifted player and can do much more than shoot/score......great for the women's game to get more attention and focus. Doesn't change what Pete Maravich did or accomplished or tarnish, IMHO, how gifted and tented a player he was......I get that we have to filter more these days due to the sheer volume from technology.....comes with the territory.

And because TJ mentioned him.....Austin Carr's career was unfortunately derailed with a couple of severe knee/leg injuries. Went to his basketball camp a couple of years - a great experience, and he was wonderful to the "campers." Will always have a soft spot for AC.

Carry on, folks.....TGIF.

ac-inline-1500.jpg

Good for Caitlin Clark - she is a tremendously gifted player and can do much more than shoot/score......great for the women's game to get more attention and focus. Doesn't change what Pete Maravich did or accomplished or tarnish, IMHO, how gifted and tented a player he was......I get that we have to filter more these days due to the sheer volume from technology.....comes with the territory.

And because TJ mentioned him.....Austin Carr's career was unfortunately derailed with a couple of severe knee/leg injuries. Went to his basketball camp a couple of years - a great experience, and he was wonderful to the "campers." Will always have a soft spot for AC.

Carry on, folks.....TGIF.

ac-inline-1500.jpg
Austin, Collis and Catlett (sp?) were three tough players back then...

Reactions: Born Boiler
Gale Catlett I believe.

Sid. As in Vicious.

Austin Carr, Collis Jones, Sid Catlett, Jackie Meehan and John Pleick ended UCLA’s 88-game winning streak in January 1971 with the headline “Awesome Austin Is Exhaustin’” Court Storm.

Edit ...

Oops. The 89-82 game in 1971 was when Austin scored 46 as Danny Nee’s Irish ended a 19-game win streak, but it was UCLA’s last loss before an 88-game winning streak that Digger Phelps’ Irish ended 71-70 in January 1974 with John Shumate, Gary Brokaw, Dwight Clay, Adrian Dantley and Gary Novak against Wooden’s Bruins featuring Bill Walton, Keith Wilkes and East Chicago’s Pete Trgovich.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjreese and Schnelk
I don't care about the different eras. I am sure I will get roasted for saying this, but it is true.

There is a big difference between the men's and women's game. I am not trying to take anything away from Clark, but there just is.

There is a big difference between the NBA and the WNBA as much as WNBA players would like to say different.
The WNBA plays a much better form of basketball.

• Haha
Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
she is an excellent women's player. From what I understand (I haven't calculated it) you can take two of the women's basketballs and pass both through the rim side by side. You can't with a men's ball, there isn't as much extra room for error She is outstanding in the women's game. You can't compare the two and we shouldn't have to do that.
then why are you?

Sid. As in Vicious.

Austin Carr, Collis Jones, Sid Catlett, Jackie Meehan and John Pleick ended UCLA’s 88-game winning streak in January 1971 with the headline “Awesome Austin Is Exhaustin’” Court Storm.

Notre Dame ended UCLA's record 88-win streak in '74 - led by John Shumate and Gary Brokaw (with a freshman Adrian Dantley chipping in)....ND scored the last 12 points in the final 3 and half minutes to win 71-70, its only lead of the game. I remember watching that game after a Saturday basketball practice....Walton had a great look at the end to still win it after the Bruins let it slip away. Dick Enberg called the game.

The '71 game (with Austin Carr pouring in 46) ended a 19-game streak (UCLA's only loss that season) and a 46-game non-conference streak. Ironically, after this loss, UCLA's 88-game streak started the very next game.

Notre Dame ended UCLA's record 88-win streak in '74 - led by John Shumate....ND scored the last 12 points in the final 3 and half minutes to win 71-70, its only lead of the game. I remember watching that game after a Saturday basketball practice....Walton had a great look at the end to still win it after the Bruins let it slip away. Dick Enberg called the game.

The '71 game (with Austin Carr pouring in 46) ended a 19-game streak (UCLA's only loss that season) and a 46-game non-conference streak. Ironically, after this loss, UCLA's 88-game streak started the very next game.

I was just now fixin' that. Thanks.

Notre Dame ended UCLA's record 88-win streak in '74 - led by John Shumate....ND scored the last 12 points in the final 3 and half minutes to win 71-70, its only lead of the game. I remember watching that game after a Saturday basketball practice....Walton had a great look at the end to still win it after the Bruins let it slip away. Dick Enberg called the game.

Dick Enberg, great announcer. Later, you always knew it was big game when he and Al were doing a game.

Dick Enberg, great announcer. Later, you always knew it was big game when he and Al were doing a game.

Did tennis and golf, too, along with baseball, basketball, and football......"Oh My!"

Enberg, Scully, and Summerall were the best I ever heard, among many other very good ones.

then why are you?
to explain some subtle differences that may be missed for understanding of men with the bigger ball and women with the smaller ball. Someone could take the differences and then compare or reflect on it and say if they were meant to compare then why the smaller ball and realize there isn't a comparison and then draw conclusions that a so so high school team of boys could beat a college team of women, but I'm not going to do that. I'm just going to "contrast" rather than "compare" the differences in so few of areas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT