ADVERTISEMENT

For Pete’s sake

Born Boiler

Junior
Dec 6, 2006
We keep hearing about Caitlin Clark passing the 3,667 college career points by Pete Maravich. Like a broken record.

What no one has been saying, though, is that Pistol Pete averaged 44 points per game for his career. Forty-Four. He did so playing in 83 varsity games for LSU. Caitlin needed 130 games to pass his NCAA record point total and is now averaging 28 points per game for her career.

So, the all-time scorer? Generally, from game to game, from season to season, we only talk averages, whether it’s scoring or rebounding. And, in most basketball circles, 44-28 is a blowout.

Time to re-appreciate the 6-foot-5 showman who dazzled with his ball skills as well as his scoring, truly topping all of college basketball. Injuries cut short Pete’s NBA career as a five-time All-Star with one league scoring championship in his 10 years, and then he suddenly passed away at age 40, succumbing to a previously undetected major heart defect … while playing in a pickup game.

Maravich still stands tallest on college basketball’s all-time list for career scoring average … by a long shot. At 44.2, he’s 10 points per game ahead of second-place Austin Carr of Notre Dame (34.6) (who also was damned fun to watch) and third-place Oscar Robertson of Cincinnati (33.8), followed by Calvin Murphy of Niagara (33.1), Bo Lamar of Louisiana (32.7), Frank Selvy of Furman (32.5) and (someone you may have heard of) seventh-place Rick Mount of Purdue (32.3).

Maravich, Carr, Murphy and Mount all played between 1967 and 1971 -- limited by rule to three years of varsity apiece, based on the wild concept that freshmen needed to study -- during the time Wooden’s teams absolutely dominated the NCAA. It’s an era worth knowing and remembering. The game reached a peak. When giants roamed the earth. And shot the lights out.

The all-time NCAA scoring list -- with four Boilermakers in the top 40 and two Benton Rangers in the top 50 -- at https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/men/pts-per-g-player-career.html.

It's like trying to compare Mount to Edey. You can do it, but it's not fair for many reasons as you say. It's a number. And it's an accomplishment no matter how you slice it. But no one is going around saying that Caitlin Clark is BETTER than Pistol Pete.

I don't care about the different eras. I am sure I will get roasted for saying this, but it is true.

There is a big difference between the men's and women's game. I am not trying to take anything away from Clark, but there just is.

There is a big difference between the NBA and the WNBA as much as WNBA players would like to say different.

Reactions: Schnelk
We keep hearing about Caitlin Clark passing the 3,667 college career points by Pete Maravich. Like a broken record.

What no one has been saying, though, is that Pistol Pete averaged 44 points per game for his career. Forty-Four. He did so playing in 83 varsity games for LSU. Caitlin needed 130 games to pass his NCAA record point total and is now averaging 28 points per game for her career.

So, the all-time scorer? Generally, from game to game, from season to season, we only talk averages, whether it’s scoring or rebounding. And, in most basketball circles, 44-28 is a blowout.

Time to re-appreciate the 6-foot-5 showman who dazzled with his ball skills as well as his scoring, truly topping all of college basketball. Injuries cut short Pete’s NBA career as a five-time All-Star with one league scoring championship in his 10 years, and then he suddenly passed away at age 40, succumbing to a previously undetected major heart defect … while playing in a pickup game.

Maravich still stands tallest on college basketball’s all-time list for career scoring average … by a long shot. At 44.2, he’s 10 points per game ahead of second-place Austin Carr of Notre Dame (34.6) (who also was damned fun to watch) and third-place Oscar Robertson of Cincinnati (33.8), followed by Calvin Murphy of Niagara (33.1), Bo Lamar of Louisiana (32.7), Frank Selvy of Furman (32.5) and (someone you may have heard of) seventh-place Rick Mount of Purdue (32.3).

Maravich, Carr, Murphy and Mount all played between 1967 and 1971 -- limited by rule to three years of varsity apiece, based on the wild concept that freshmen needed to study -- during the time Wooden’s teams absolutely dominated the NCAA. It’s an era worth knowing and remembering. The game reached a peak. When giants roamed the earth. And shot the lights out.

The all-time NCAA scoring list -- with four Boilermakers in the top 40 and two Benton Rangers in the top 50 -- at https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/men/pts-per-g-player-career.html.

Saw PM. Just a wonderful player.

Saw CC. Just a wonderful player.

No question who was better. But not sure I am going to get all that worked up about it.

This is really no different than any other record. A few years ago we were talking about Pistol Petes record with a dude who played 5 years at like Detroit Mercy or whatever and they were trying to get a CBI invite so he could beat it. Roger Maris was controversial for playing in more games to beat Babe Ruth with homeruns. Bonds for steroids. There are also records that will never be able to be broken like pitchers with 400+ wins. There isn't even a real comparison between men's and women's sports.

It's obvious to everyone involved that the game changes, the era changes. Records are what they are. Caitlyn Clark has been a great player that for better or for worse is going to have the most points in NCAA history. The team, the media, etc will all celebrate that. She could come back for a COVID year if she wanted and make a record that would probably be unbeatable forever because no other players would get 5 full seasons. Men are also more prone to try to the pro game before they even play their 4.

Pistol Pete may or may not have been even a good player in today's game. It's really impossible to speculate.

But it doesn't matter. Records are records and records get broken. It's really silly to compare eras and even men vs. women sports and get all upset because someone has a record.

Would the '96 Bulls beat the 2013 Warriors? You can play these games all day but no one really knows. Must have been fun to watch pistol pete. But your average viewer these days has probably seen about the same amount of Pete or Caitlyn playing basketball: Next to none. Let the girl have the spotlight for a while, who cares?

A few years ago we were talking about Pistol Petes record with a dude who played 5 years at like Detroit Mercy or whatever and they were trying to get a CBI invite so he could beat it.
Fun fact: that dude was former IU coach Mike Davis’ son, Antoine.

This is really no different than any other record. A few years ago we were talking about Pistol Petes record with a dude who played 5 years at like Detroit Mercy or whatever and they were trying to get a CBI invite so he could beat it. Roger Maris was controversial for playing in more games to beat Babe Ruth with homeruns. Bonds for steroids. There are also records that will never be able to be broken like pitchers with 400+ wins. There isn't even a real comparison between men's and women's sports.

It's obvious to everyone involved that the game changes, the era changes. Records are what they are. Caitlyn Clark has been a great player that for better or for worse is going to have the most points in NCAA history. The team, the media, etc will all celebrate that. She could come back for a COVID year if she wanted and make a record that would probably be unbeatable forever because no other players would get 5 full seasons. Men are also more prone to try to the pro game before they even play their 4.

Pistol Pete may or may not have been even a good player in today's game. It's really impossible to speculate.

But it doesn't matter. Records are records and records get broken. It's really silly to compare eras and even men vs. women sports and get all upset because someone has a record.

Would the '96 Bulls beat the 2013 Warriors? You can play these games all day but no one really knows. Must have been fun to watch pistol pete. But your average viewer these days has probably seen about the same amount of Pete or Caitlyn playing basketball: Next to none. Let the girl have the spotlight for a while, who cares?

Caitlyn … you mean Jenner? At least get her name right.

And, by the way, Maris topped the Babe in fewer at-bats but still got an asterisk for decades.

Let’s give credit where else credit is due.

Reactions: Lee3370
Saw PM. Just a wonderful player.

Saw CC. Just a wonderful player.

No question who was better. But not sure I am going to get all that worked up about it.

Not sure where the perceived rage appears on here, but this is about tipping caps to the guy who scored 44 per game, reinvented his sport, became its foremost symbol and literally died playing the game he loved.

That’s history that bears repeating, although no one else ever will.

Caitlyn … you mean Jenner? At least get her name right.

And, by the way, Maris topped the Babe in fewer at-bats but still got an asterisk for decades.

Let’s give credit where else credit is due.
Yes, got an * because of the same butthurt that you feel over this. Butthurt that is severely misplaced. And not knowing the exact spelling of her name goes back to my original point: I don't care, and neither do most people

Have fun being a living meme though "Old man yells at cloud"

Reactions: RDUBoiler
Yes, got an * because of the same butthurt that you feel over this. Butthurt that is severely misplaced. And not knowing the exact spelling of her name goes back to my original point: I don't care, and neither do most people

Have fun being a living meme though "Old man yells at cloud"

You don’t care, yet you ramble on and on. And again. Enjoy life in the fog. Rinse and repeat.

Just imagine if Caitlin’s dad was her coach and letting her squeeze off 38 shots a game!

You don’t care, yet you ramble on and on. And again. Enjoy life in the fog. Rinse and repeat.
LOL. My two posts, now three, combined are less than the rambling of your first post. A post you made on a Purdue message board, complaining about a female Iowa player getting a moment in spotlight instead of a long dead LSU Men's player.

But thanks for trying to give us young whipper-snappers a history lesson. They sure don't make them like they used to. Those were the good old days.

Reactions: Nappanee
LOL. My two posts, now three, combined are less than the rambling of your first post. A post you made on a Purdue message board, complaining about a female Iowa player getting a moment in spotlight instead of a long dead LSU Men's player.

But thanks for trying to give us young whipper-snappers a history lesson. They sure don't make them like they used to. Those were the good old days.

By golly, you’ve got it. Now go look up those four Boilermakers in the all-time top 40.

By golly, you’ve got it. Now go look up those four Boilermakers in the all-time top 40.
The year was 1969 see, and this cat named Pete "the Pistol" Maravich was dazzling the basketball world with his amazing run and gun offense on the sensational LSU Tigers basketball team, see. He set records the modern basketball world has never seen, I tells ya. Only for some sassy dame 55 years later come in and have the audacity to knock off the record and some news channels inexplicably cover it like the two are even comparable. I say we take the attention off little miss and give the old pistol his due, he didn't even get to play 4 years, see. Let's give the old boy his due and boycott BTN and Fox Sports for having the audacity to cover it. They don't make them like ole Petey anymore! Rabble Rabble.

Last edited:
The year was 1969 see, and this cat named Pete "the Pistol" Maravich was dazzling the basketball world with his amazing run and gun offense on the sensational LSU Tigers basketball team, see. He set records the modern basketball world has never seen, I tells ya. Only for some sassy female player 55 years later come in and have the audacity to knock off the record and some news channels inexplicably cover it like the two are even comparable. I say we take the attention off her and give the old pistol his due, he didn't even get to play 4 years, see. Let's give the old boy his due and boycott BTN and Fox Sports for having the audacity to cover it. They don't make like ole Petey anymore! Rabble Rabble.

The year was 1969 see, and this cat named Pete "the Pistol" Maravich was dazzling the basketball world with his amazing run and gun offense on the sensational LSU Tigers basketball team, see. He set records the modern basketball world has never seen, I tells ya. Only for some sassy female player 55 years later come in and have the audacity to knock off the record and some news channels inexplicably cover it like the two are even comparable. I say we take the attention off her and give the old pistol his due, he didn't even get to play 4 years, see. Let's give the old boy his due and boycott BTN and Fox Sports for having the audacity to cover it. They don't make like ole Petey anymore! Rabble Rabble.
If you had called her a "dame" this post would have been perfect.

Last edited:
Both would have been superior, but I'm sticking with dame. But thanks to both of you for the good laugh

There is nothing you can name
That is anything like a dame …

Inspired by Rodgers & Hammerstein? Or Notre’s Austin Carr? Good for you. Keep studying.

If you want to compare and contrast their accomplishments three points that should be added. First, if Pete didn’t play for his dad, he would have taken half of the shots he took. His dad wanted and encouraged him to take every shot possible. Second, if Pete had played for a coach and team actually interested in winning, he would have taken half of the shots he took. Third, take a close look at LSU’s team record. It’s one thing to score a lot of points. It’s another thing to score those points in the interest of winning games rather than just playing for individual scoring records! Look at Mount. He led Purdue to the Final 4 as did Clark. How close did LSU get? It should be noted Clark led Iowa to victory over OSU in her game that broke the record. OSU was ranked #2 in the nation and Iowa was ranked #6. It’s not like Iowa scheduled some podunk team to play. I believe winning is more important than points. Iowa could have back to back final 4 appearances. How many did Pete have?

There is nothing you can name
That is anything like a dame …

Inspired by Rodgers & Hammerstein? Or Notre’s Austin Carr? Good for you. Keep studying.
It was 19 dickety two. We had to say dickety, because that kaiser stole our word twenty. But the important thing was, I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. We didn't have white ones, because of the war, we had these big yellow ones. Back then nickels had bumble bees on them, give me 5 bees for a quarter they'd say. But the important thing was, I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time..........

Everybody understand the different eras caveat. Bringing it up every time a record is broken is silly IMO.

But I don't understand the men's to women's comparison. They are two different games. Well, let me correct. I do understand why it is done. It's a narrative presented by the likes of Disney ESPN.

Everybody understand the different eras caveat. Bringing it up every time a record is broken is silly IMO.

But I don't understand the men's to women's comparison. They are two different games. Well, let me correct. I do understand why it is done. It's a narrative presented by the likes of Disney ESPN.
I mean, I don't think they are really comparing it. It's just an NCAA basketball record. The average fan/viewer knows mens/womens are different and eras are different. Clark is extremely popular for a female player, she's on a big ten team, and she had already beaten the women's record. I don't see how giving her 15 mins a fame, before she heads off to the WNBA making 1/10th of the NIL money she's getting this year and giving her credit for making Iowa Hawkeyes women's basketball tickets (of all things) a hot commodity is a big deal.

If you wanna complain about the story of a german princess named snow white who had 7 dwarf companions being portrayed by an hispanic girl with random "mythical" friends, then yeah, I'm with on you on the silly Disney pandering. But I don't think this is it, in this particular circumstance.

And the OP is also acting like this somehow robs Pete Maravich of something. Someone who almost all basketball fans know the name of 55 years later, and several decades after his death. And probably will know for the foreseeable future. Does anyone wanna bet who remembers Caitlin Clark's name in 2079?

Reactions: rgarlitz
I would prefer they be separate records. I’m a track enthusiast. In track and every other sport you have separate records. The long jump pit and the high jump bars are exactly the same for both men and women. The technique for both jumps is very similar. Men and women compete at the same meets. However, their accomplishments are recorded separately. You have a woman’s champ and a men’s champ.

If you want to have just one record, than you need to do the same for all records.

I see this whole thing as just the media wanting to milk this and hype this basically for attention and ratings and revenue! The media got their ratings. Iowa and the NCAA. Sold a lot of tickets.

And the internet benefited with fans arguing and posting. And sportswriters Could write about something to fill their blogs And space requirements.

Remember all the hype Ann Meyers and Reggie Miller’s sister received? And when Ann Meyers was given an NBA contract? It was pure media hype.

I would prefer they be separate records. I’m a track enthusiast. In track and every other sport you have separate records. The long jump pit and the high jump bars are exactly the same for both men and women. The technique for both jumps is very similar. Men and women compete at the same meets. However, their accomplishments are recorded separately. You have a woman’s champ and a men’s champ.

If you want to have just one record, than you need to do the same for all records.

I see this whole thing as just the media wanting to milk this and hype this basically for attention and ratings and revenue! The media got their ratings. Iowa and the NCAA. Sold a lot of tickets.

And the internet benefited with fans arguing and posting. And sportswriters Could write about something to fill their blogs And space requirements.

Remember all the hype Ann Meyers and Reggie Miller’s sister received? And when Ann Meyers was given an NBA contract? It was pure media hype.
Anybody who says anything other than, "Caitlin Clark scored the most points in the history college basketball, good for her" is just talking out their @$$. She has the "record". It doesn't reflect on anything else. She made more points in college than Pete Maravich. Statement of fact. Just like all records, you have to consider the era, in this case, the gender, and numerous other factors. It's not like she gets some autobid to the NBA for this. I guess I just don't see the big deal.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Anybody who says anything other than, "Caitlin Clark scored the most points in the history college basketball, good for her" is just talking out their @$$. She has the "record". It doesn't reflect on anything else. She made more points in college than Pete Maravich. Statement of fact. Just like all records, you have to consider the era, in this case, the gender, and numerous other factors. It's not like she gets some autobid to the NBA for this. I guess I just don't see the big deal.
I believe she also received more NIL money than Edey did. If you value money, that’s a good thing.

Along the same lines:

Purdue Athletics is playing up that our Boilers are one win away from tying the B1G record of 59 conference wins in a 4-year span. It's a remarkable achievement under any circumstance.

But, BIG seasons were only 18 games when Indiana set the record in the mid-70s---and only 14 in 1973-4, when one of their two 59-win stretches started.

Both are amazing accomplishments, but Indiana went 18-0 in back-to-back seasons. That may never be repeated.

Also Clark had more than 500 points by way of 3 point shots! No 3 point goals in their day!

Comparing Clark to Pistol Pete is absolutely ridiculous.

Because there is none other than bashing women as inferior. For the XX time.......

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
People who make the argument that she has less points per game as a reason she isn't as good are really uneducated idiots.

Different eras blah blah blah. 3 years vs 4, he didn't have a 3 point shot....

What you can compare apples to apples is shot attempts per game for their career
Maravich: 38.1/game
Clark 19.9/game

For context Edey has shot 10.4/game
Image if Zach literally shot 4 times more than what he shoots now! People would be yelling from the top of buildings he's just a volume chucker.

Clark is doing this while taking almost HALF the shot attempts per game Pete took. She has taken almost exactly 500 less total shots than him even in 50 more total games. Yes she has the benefit of the 3 line which she has also made about 500 so it's fairly easy to see why her numbers have just passed his. She also has nearly 3% better total shooting numbers.

One thing people never talk about is while she is leading the country in scoring she is also leading the country in ASSISTS! How?
She is averaging almost 9 assists (8.7) per game which in itself is insane, but doing so while she also shots 20 times a game is nearly unbelievable.
I am not here to discredit Maravich. He was an incredible player, but just looking at points per game is an idiotic way to compare career stats. Especially when the players played in different lifetimes.

It's crazy people jump through hoops to say well she isn't as good as X player. Who cares. What she is doing is historic and awful fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT