ADVERTISEMENT

First, the sky hasn't fallen, hell hasn't frozen over...

TwinDegrees2

All-American
Aug 8, 2009
North Central Indiana
But Purdue did lose a game to OSU.
  1. Best point....PU came back to close within 1
  2. Second best point...PU hit a ton of Free throws which has been an Achilles heel before
  3. Edey still closed strong
  4. Lance had a horrible night. Forced a lot of bad shots, defense was off. Hard to win if he's not on his game.
  5. Loyer needs a confidence boost....his play hurt PU's chance.
  6. And here comes the disagreeable point...there was a ton of energy on the OSU bench. Those kids showed they want Diebler as their new coach, and he brought an enthusiasm and even discipline to the team. Diebler has a very solid coaching history and knows the game. He changed very little on offense of defense.
  7. OSU played better defense than PU played offense...they controlled the game on a very emotional evening.
  8. I thought PU should have continued with TKR and Edey on the floor together when they could. I might have even tossed Caleb in for a longer period too...he hasn't forgotten how to play, but needs more time.
  9. I would have found more scoring chances for TKR...I thought he played a very good game.
  10. The Colvin experiment is not working...it's time to try someone else off the bench in his minutes. Waddell?
  11. When you are the big dog in the fight, the little dog will bite you in the behind, which OSU did...they gave all they had to win.
  12. I think this might be one of those "good losses" in the sense that PU understands what happened.
  13. My guess...one more loss before the league tourney.

Reactions: Tommaker
Painter does not like playing TKR at the end of half and game when Purdue is in the bonus or will be next foul. Bonus + I think he might play him, but tough missing front end in a tight one. TKR was 2-2 against OSU but body of work on free throws is not good.

Emphatically disagree with point 10. Kid needs more opportunity and when he gets hot has proven he can drain buckets. His defense has improved and no worse then Loyer's. I'd like to see a run (much more than 2 minutes to give him time to "get into the game".) with Smith, Jones & Colvin. Points 6, 11, 12 - We were not prepared. These should never be a factor. Pont 13; if points 4 and 5 hold up, we will lose more than one and then the BIG Championship slips through our grasp.

I have not given up on Colvin. I don't think he is going have a major ongoing impact this year, but he may have a "moment" where his shooting could help win an important game. However, those who say not playing him is the reason we lost games are not paying attention.

Some good points around Lance and Loyer. On nights both don't produce, we are certainly going to struggle. A really big issue not mentioned was Edey leaving the game in foul trouble in the 1st half. This allowed OSU to take the lead and gain a ton of confidence. I don't agree with CMP on this. Why take Edey, our most dominant player, or anyone else out of the game to avoid possibly fouling out later in the game. Our guys almost never foul out and we're probably better off focusing on keeping or extending the lead. Feels like this was a mistake in this game as well as other games.

Another point about Colvin - compare his athletic ability to Loyer's, far more upside and I think he could be developed into a superior defensive player - Loyer, no.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
  2. Second best point...PU hit a ton of Free throws which has been an Achilles heel before
  4. Lance had a horrible night. Forced a lot of bad shots, defense was off. Hard to win if he's not on his game.
  6. And here comes the disagreeable point...there was a ton of energy on the OSU bench. Those kids showed they want Diebler as their new coach, and he brought an enthusiasm and even discipline to the team. Diebler has a very solid coaching history and knows the game. He changed very little on offense of defense.
  7. OSU played better defense than PU played offense...they controlled the game on a very emotional evening.
  8. I thought PU should have continued with TKR and Edey on the floor together when they could. I might have even tossed Caleb in for a longer period too...he hasn't forgotten how to play, but needs more time.
  9. I would have found more scoring chances for TKR...I thought he played a very good game.
  10. The Colvin experiment is not working...it's time to try someone else off the bench in his minutes. Waddell?
  11. When you are the big dog in the fight, the little dog will bite you in the behind, which OSU did...they gave all they had to win.
  12. I think this might be one of those "good losses" in the sense that PU understands what happened.
No, but I see an all too familiar pattern developing. If we clobber Rut by 20 + and score in the 80's, then no need for concern.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Another point about Colvin - compare his athletic ability to Loyer's, far more upside and I think he could be developed into a superior defensive player - Loyer, no.
Can Colvin produce at the level anyone else has at this time? No. Can he defend even a little bit at this time? He has done nothing to prove it. Point is, he is no where near ready for the big stage...maybe next year. Maybe. Painter has given him opportunities to prove himself and he's simply not produced at the level of anyone else. I don't believe he's adapted to the quickness of college, I don't think his basketball intelligence is any more than that of a high school shooter. Personally, I doubt there will be a time this year where it's worth the risk of having him in the game.

Last edited:
Colvin experiment??

Not sure he has been given a chance. Early yes, but he knew nothing. Now that he knows more, has not been given enough PT to draw any kind of conclusion.
For your experiment with playing Colvin, who's going to go to the bench? Who is he better than that starts, or comes off the bench now? Gillis....no way. Heide? Nope. Furst? Negative. Colvin is your typical HS stud who simply was allowed to run rampant with no repercussions and hasn't worked hard enough to adapt to the level he's at now. You can bet your behind that if he had done what he needs to do, he'd get big minutes. CMP plays the best players.

Not MY experiment.

Who to the bench......A 1-7 Loyer who doesn't play D any better than Colvin.
So your going to put 11 points on the bench to bring Colvin in? Your going to put a 2-1 assist ratio on the bench to bring in a player who has 2 X's the turnovers to assists? Loyer will get his stroke back...slumps happen. Colvin will not play defense and will be a liability to the entire team. He's simply not good enough right now.

• Haha
So your going to put 11 points on the bench to bring Colvin in? Your going to put a 2-1 assist ratio on the bench to bring in a player who has 2 X's the turnovers to assists? Loyer will get his stroke back...slumps happen. Colvin will not play defense and will be a liability to the entire team. He's simply not good enough right now.
When Loyer clearly doesn't have it on a certain day, like against OSU?

YES!

He has a hard on for Colvin for some reason. He's posted it 20 times. You don't like him. We got it. Nobody said he should replace anyone in the lineup permanently.

Can Colvin produce at the level anyone else has at this time? No. Can he defend even a little bit at this time? He has done nothing to prove it. Point is, he is no where near ready for the big stage...maybe next year. Maybe. Painter has given him opportunities to prove himself and he's simply not produced at the level of anyone else. I don't believe he's adapted to the quickness of college, I don't think his basketball intelligence is any more than that of a high school shooter. Personally, I doubt there will be a time this year where it's worth the risk of having him in the game.
Why do you think CMP keeps putting him in the game then?

In your experiment.....which in this case we have PLENTY of data on Loyer, unlike currently w/ Colvin.

When not scoring....you leave a player out there, in Loyer who can not play D and in this situation is not scoring. Woeful on both counts. Both make it harder on the other 4 players on the floor.

Some good points around Lance and Loyer. On nights both don't produce, we are certainly going to struggle. A really big issue not mentioned was Edey leaving the game in foul trouble in the 1st half. This allowed OSU to take the lead and gain a ton of confidence. I don't agree with CMP on this. Why take Edey, our most dominant player, or anyone else out of the game to avoid possibly fouling out later in the game. Our guys almost never foul out and we're probably better off focusing on keeping or extending the lead. Feels like this was a mistake in this game as well as other games.
I agree re: Edey and foul trouble. Edey finished the game with 2 fouls. Taking him out of the game for the rest of the half cost us the game. Instead of going into halftime up 6-10, we went into halftime down 5 and with OSU having all the momentum. At some point you have to trust you senior NPOY to avoid picking up another foul, which he managed to do for the entire second half.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
We have lost a total of 3 games this year…with Loyer. Complaints of lack of subs in large lead games…well let’s say painter subbed in those games - also “taking our foot off the gas” and large leads are gone, resulting in needlessly close games. Complaints there too? Coach to win the game.

I get it and actually don’t disagree, however, the record shows for itself thus far. My hope however is that there is a cushion towards end of season and games are meaningless (as it relates to conference) and Painter can play around more with line ups/subs.

how can you say the colvin experiment is not working when he only gets a few minutes a game at most? he needs more pt and for the team to look for him to score. so far, he has been ignored in the few moments he has been in. on the other hand, loyer gets loads of pt with no production. i say, let colvin get some more pt and see what happens.

His defense has improved and no worse then Loyer's.
I agree with wanting to continue to see Myles and to actually utilize him on offense, but your point above is just not objectively true. Loyer can get physically overmatched and he had some lapses against OSU but he generally knows what's going on and plays decent team defense. Unfortunately that's still not the case with Myles a significant portion of the time.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
I guess if you look at a game in a vacuum sure, but I think folks are looking at a series of games recently where we've played suboptimal and Loyer has really played poorly.

If Loyer snaps out of it, great. If not it makes it more of a problem. Since outside shooting and guard play are so critical to our success it definitely gives cause for concern

Purdue tied the game (1) at 65 thanks to a three-pointer by Jones (4) who was the only Purdue player with the balls to shoot and make a three all day. AGAIN. Remember Wisconsin? Jones was 3-for-5 on threes Sunday -- everyone else combined was 0-for-4 -- and Jones had only one of Purdue’s 14 turnovers. Purdue’s general lack of emotion exceeded any emotion by Ohio State (6), which came out so inspired it fell into an 8-0 hole. After Purdue’s deficit went from 41-38 to 50-38 and 54-44, Furst playing with Edey instead of Kaufman-Renn (8) immediately reversed the rebound deficit from the first half, taking permanent control of the boards and erasing the double-digit deficit on the scoreboard. Furst had five rebounds in his 9 minutes, as many as Kaufman-Renn and Gillis combined in their 37. Heide accepted a handout, but otherwise he and Colvin (10) did nothing at all. Still, the regulars need breathers from people with some semblance of athleticism.

Reactions: Gemini95
how can you say the colvin experiment is not working when he only gets a few minutes a game at most? he needs more pt and for the team to look for him to score. so far, he has been ignored in the few moments he has been in. on the other hand, loyer gets loads of pt with no production. i say, let colvin get some more pt and see what happens.
Games are determined by DEFENSE. Colvin hasn't played a lick of it this year....he's actually pathetic at it, thus he gives up more than he garners.

In your experiment.....which in this case we have PLENTY of data on Loyer, unlike currently w/ Colvin.

When not scoring....you leave a player out there, in Loyer who can not play D and in this situation is not scoring. Woeful on both counts. Both make it harder on the other 4 players on the floor.
Loyer plays defense much better than Myles. Facts don't lie. And if we need a defensive stopper, we have Morton who needs to shoot more.

He has a hard on for Colvin for some reason. He's posted it 20 times. You don't like him. We got it. Nobody said he should replace anyone in the lineup permanently.
Wrong....no hard on for anyone. And I don't dislike Myles. I only dislike the way he hasn't figured it out this late in the season. As a long time coach, I don't see the positives in playing him over Loyer this year and hope he gets "it" before next season, and I'll take a Loyer over Myles at this point.

Hell, if you want to experiment put Waddell in instead.

I hope Colvin gets it and turns up the intensity on defense. It would be nice to see him actually play the way CMP wants and EXPECTS him to play. My guess, he's not very good in practice either at this point.

I think Colvin has shown some improvement from terrible to below average in his on ball defense.
Off the ball and team ddefense not so good. His on ball defense is about like Loyer, the rest not as good.

Wrong....no hard on for anyone. And I don't dislike Myles. I only dislike the way he hasn't figured it out this late in the season. As a long time coach, I don't see the positives in playing him over Loyer this year and hope he gets "it" before next season, and I'll take a Loyer over Myles at this point.

Hell, if you want to experiment put Waddell in instead.

I hope Colvin gets it and turns up the intensity on defense. It would be nice to see him actually play the way CMP wants and EXPECTS him to play. My guess, he's not very good in practice either at this point.
Who do you coach?

Games are determined by DEFENSE. Colvin hasn't played a lick of it this year....he's actually pathetic at it, thus he gives up more than he garners.
i disagree. loyer has been awful at both ends of the court. time to see if colvin can score more than he gives up. cant win if you dont score even with great defense.

Retired. Two HS's Baseball, Legion baseball. Sent multiple players to the next level.
That doesn't count. Unless you've coached D1 basketball your opinion doesn't matter.

Just giving you shit, I've been told that many times over the years on here, so just taking a jab. I love HS baseball had a son that was a catcher and played small college ball. I miss watching him play. Thanks for being a coach, thankless job at that level most of the time.

That doesn't count. Unless you've coached D1 basketball your opinion doesn't matter.

Just giving you shit, I've been told that many times over the years on here, so just taking a jab. I love HS baseball had a son that was a catcher and played small college ball. I miss watching him play. Thanks for being a coach, thankless job at that level most of the time.
I miss the kids, but not so much the parents. Both of my sons were offered, one to Eastern Michigan for Baseball, the other Division 2 and 3 for FB. My grandson is the basketball player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT