ADVERTISEMENT

Hummell

Big George avg 30pts and 14.7 rebounds .....a 6'8" forward......And 2.8 assists in his only year at iu.
As a freshman
Let that sink in..............
George was an outstanding player. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves because his prime years were with the Pacers before the merger. I loved the Pacers when I was a kid. My most prized possession when I was little was my Red, White and Blue ball signed by Darnell Hillman of the pacers.

George was an outstanding player. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves because his prime years were with the Pacers before the merger. I loved the Pacers when I was a kid. My most prized possession when I was little was my Red, White and Blue ball signed by Darnell Hillman of the pacers.

Loved the Pacers too. A lot of the guys would come out to my Grandpa's horse sale barn we used to own in Crawfordsville as a couple of them had horses. As a kid I marveled at just how big these dudes were. Most were down to earth and loved my Grandpa's stories as most did. Was great when they won the ABA championship, we were rooting up a storm.

If given a choice of what player from the past would make this current team better, my first choice would be BiG Dog. He played the 4 at Purdue and the 3 in the pros! Just think of what Big Dog could do if he played the three in college. My second choice would be Mount to play the 3 or the 2!

My third choice would be a surprise to many: Kyle Macy. He walked away because of the overcrowding created when Parkinson returned and sichting and Parker at guards.

Just think how good this team wound be with MAcy at shooting guard and Mount at the 3 and big dog at the 3/4.

Throw in JJ to back up Edey and Big Dog! And add Cardinal to the bench.

Reactions: BoilerJS
Sorry Ivey, Edwards and Hummel fans, but when talking about bringing back players from the past, I choose to go back farther than the past 10 years! And you don’t even make my top 10.

Noel was awesome! He just couldn’t shoot straight and couldn’t make a free throw and became a liability in the last minute of close games. Those are kind of things you need from a starting PG.

I wonder if Noel would have accepted a role as a defensive stopper coming off the bench like Morton is providing? Given a choice of Noel coming off the bench or Morton, I’d choose Noel.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
If given a choice of what player from the past would make this current team better, my first choice would be BiG Dog. He played the 4 at Purdue and the 3 in the pros! Just think of what Big Dog could do if he played the three in college. My second choice would be Mount to play the 3 or the 2!

My third choice would be a surprise to many: Kyle Macy. He walked away because of the overcrowding created when Parkinson returned and sichting and Parker at guards.

Just think how good this team wound be with MAcy at shooting guard and Mount at the 3 and big dog at the 3/4.

Throw in JJ to back up Edey and Big Dog! And add Cardinal to the bench.
JBC in instead of JJ.

Noel was awesome! He just couldn’t shoot straight and couldn’t make a free throw and became a liability in the last minute of close games. Those are kind of things you need from a starting PG.

I wonder if Noel would have accepted a role as a defensive stopper coming off the bench like Morton is providing? Given a choice of Noel coming off the bench or Morton, I’d choose Noel.
He can shoot it a bit better now that he has switched shooting hands.

I agree Easten isn't what this team needs as he'd be replacing a guy who is set to get about 10 to 15 minutes a game, but Eastern was a much better defender (2 time All-B1G defensive team) and (I never thought I'd say this) more skilled offensively. He averaged 7.5 points per game his sophomore year and shot nearly 50% from the field the year we won the B1G and got to the elite 8.

My guess is what these guys were talking about is what guy from Purdue's past would fill a need missing from this year's team? For my money it would be Dakota Mathias. A true glue guy who could do a little of everything. Defend, shoot and play within the system. Start him at the 3 and mix in Smith, Loyer and Jones at the 1 and 2 and I think you'd really have something special.
Agree with everything you said regarding Nojel/Morton. That’s why I said “basically”, as Nojel is definitely a better version of Morton. At the end of the day both guys are know for their defense and limited offensive capabilities. Or in Morton’s case, nonexistent offense. If I could choose a player to put on this team I would take Hummel all day. I’m surprised so many people said Vince, as I think he’s basically a worse version of Hummel.

Loved the Pacers too. A lot of the guys would come out to my Grandpa's horse sale barn we used to own in Crawfordsville as a couple of them had horses. As a kid I marveled at just how big these dudes were. Most were down to earth and loved my Grandpa's stories as most did. Was great when they won the ABA championship, we were rooting up a storm.
Crawfordsville? did you know Charlie Ford or Jeff Jones?

Agree with everything you said regarding Nojel/Morton. That’s why I said “basically”, as Nojel is definitely a better version of Morton. At the end of the day both guys are know for their defense and limited offensive capabilities. Or in Morton’s case, nonexistent offense. If I could choose a player to put on this team I would take Hummel all day. I’m surprised so many people said Vince, as I think he’s basically a worse version of Hummel.
I was looking at it from a need basis and not thinking about it as an historic all-star team. If you looked at it that way you'd just keep Zach and fill out the rest of the team with Purdue legends.

I guess I was thinking we're fine at the 4. Certainly, Hummel or Edwards would be an upgrade but adding someone in the backcourt who could guard and shoot the 3 would really help this team. Mathias wasn't an all-decade type player, but he'd be a great fit.

I was looking at it from a need basis and not thinking about it as an historic all-star team. If you looked at it that way you'd just keep Zach and fill out the rest of the team with Purdue legends.

I guess I was thinking we're fine at the 4. Certainly, Hummel or Edwards would be an upgrade but adding someone in the backcourt who could guard and shoot the 3 would really help this team. Mathias wasn't an all-decade type player, but he'd be a great fit.
Just adding one player from the painter era I actually think etwaun would fit extremely well on this team too. A do it all guard on defense and offense. Then we could have loyer come off the bench as well. I personally wouldn’t pick Mathias, but I see where you’re coming from.

Midwestern Cowboy.....as would Smooge.....

Reactions: SKYDOG
Just adding one player from the painter era I actually think etwaun would fit extremely well on this team too. A do it all guard on defense and offense. Then we could have loyer come off the bench as well. I personally wouldn’t pick Mathias, but I see where you’re coming from.
I would take either. But yeah, Moore would fill all the gaps and then expose opponent's gaps.

Sometimes you overlook the need when the alternative choice is so superior. As a Portland GM was once told, play Jordan at center.

Very saddened to hear George McGinnis just passed this morning at the age of 73 due to a heart condition. As others have posted, not fully appreciated for how good he really was. Rest in Peace, and prayers to his family.

George_McGinnis.png

Pretty hard to compare players from different eras as their skill set was not where players skill set is now. I understand why Wooden wouldn’t be mentioned as one of the best ever today.

Most definitely. I'd have to believe Edey would dominate George Mikan, a player who made the 25th, 50th, and 75th anniversary all-NBA teams

I don't think people are taking Edey's defensive impact into account, which easily puts him above Mount. Robinson was the not best defender but was decent and could impact the game defensively when he cared to. The only thing holding Edey behind Big Dog for me is the lack of tournament success

Most definitely. I'd have to believe Edey would dominate George Mikan, a player who made the 25th, 50th, and 75th anniversary all-NBA teams

I don't think people are taking Edey's defensive impact into account, which easily puts him above Mount. Robinson was the not best defender but was decent and could impact the game defensively when he cared to. The only thing holding Edey behind Big Dog for me is the lack of tournament success
Ppl will get to see Edeys defensive impact this weekend vs the number 1 team!

He's the lefty we couldn't stop
His high school coach Gerald vandeventer told me about him when he was a .sophomore. Gerald was a Purdue grad and took him to Purdue and at the end of the day he got in the car and said he wasn’t going there. I believe there was something concerning Bruce Weber, but yeah he was really good

His high school coach Gerald vandeventer told me about him when he was a .sophomore. Gerald was a Purdue grad and took him to Purdue and at the end of the day he got in the car and said he wasn’t going there. I believe there was something concerning Bruce Weber, but yeah he was really good
Yup played at Harrison in Evansville and averaged over 22ppg before he got hurt his senior year.

Reactions: tjreese
My neighbor took me to see them when they played in the fairgrounds…Lewis, Harkness,”Roga” Brown,Daniel’s or Hillman and Neto it seems. Bobby Leonard had a house in Center just outside of Kokomo. I think it was their first or second year. It seemed like people smoked in the gym and we had folding chairs a few feet from the court. They were good

From this century I’d take Chris Kramer or Etwaun Moore if they could magically add a difference making player. Kramer could guard anybody (take him over Nojel) & Etwaun was as good an all around guard as we’ve had in recent memory. He didn’t quite have Ivey’s burst, but he had a lot of things (e.g. decision-making, emotional control) Ivey didn’t have in college.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I agree Nojel over Morton all day any day. Defensive stopper we need and was good around the rim and had better handles. Just couldn’t shoot

My neighbor took me to see them when they played in the fairgrounds…Lewis, Harkness,”Roga” Brown,Daniel’s or Hillman and Neto it seems. Bobby Leonard had a house in Center just outside of Kokomo. I think it was their first or second year. It seemed like people smoked in the gym and we had folding chairs a few feet from the court. They were good
They were REALLY good. Bob Netolicky (sp), haven't thought of that name in decades.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and tjreese
From this century I’d take Chris Kramer or Etwaun Moore if they could magically add a difference making player. Kramer could guard anybody (take him over Nojel) & Etwaun was as good an all around guard as we’ve had in recent memory. He didn’t quite have Ivey’s burst, but he had a lot of things (e.g. decision-making, emotional control) Ivey didn’t have in college.
Etwaun was a quiet beast.

This is why you should never say all time. I believe guys like Mount and Big dog and wooden would have been able to adapt. On the other hand, We no longer play Joe Barry’s type of game! Would painter change his coaching style to incorporate Their skills? Could guys like Joe Barry and Edey form a twin towers? Or would one get 30 minutes and the other get 10 backup minutes. Would big dog play the 3 or the 4? If Kramer or Moore played, who would come off the bench? If Mount played, Would our offense be centered around him? Or would we continue our stupid motion offense? Would we eliminate our 3 hard offense and use a true small forward at the 3? Would we be able to utilize all of our talent? Or would players bolt to the portal and leave much like Kyle Macy left to get more playing time?

Looking at Kyle Macy, would he have become the player he was or would he have become an afterthought playing behind Parker and Schichting?

It’s sort of like asking would Jeff George have led Purdue to the Rose Bowl if he had stayed! What if that injury and his mom racing on the field had never happened?

The only guy from the past that I can see helping the current Boilers is a guy like Cardinal who could start or come off the bench and do any role assigned. Because if you bring in a star like big dog or Mount or Joe Barry, somebody’s ego is going to be hurt and they will leave much like Macy and Hummel’s friend left!

This is why you should never say all time. I believe guys like Mount and Big dog and wooden would have been able to adapt. On the other hand, We no longer play Joe Barry’s type of game! Would painter change his coaching style to incorporate Their skills? Could guys like Joe Barry and Edey form a twin towers? Or would one get 30 minutes and the other get 10 backup minutes. Would big dog play the 3 or the 4? If Kramer or Moore played, who would come off the bench? If Mount played, Would our offense be centered around him? Or would we continue our stupid motion offense? Would we eliminate our 3 hard offense and use a true small forward at the 3? Would we be able to utilize all of our talent? Or would players bolt to the portal and leave much like Kyle Macy left to get more playing time?

Looking at Kyle Macy, would he have become the player he was or would he have become an afterthought playing behind Parker and Schichting?

It’s sort of like asking would Jeff George have led Purdue to the Rose Bowl if he had stayed! What if that injury and his mom racing on the field had never happened?

The only guy from the past that I can see helping the current Boilers is a guy like Cardinal who could start or come off the bench and do any role assigned. Because if you bring in a star like big dog or Mount or Joe Barry, somebody’s ego is going to be hurt and they will leave much like Macy and Hummel’s friend left!
JBC was excellent. Athletic and an NBA All Rookie and All Star I believe. He would play in any era. Role might be different but it's not like you wouldn't offer him.

JBC was excellent. Athletic and an NBA All Rookie and All Star I believe. He would play in any era. Role might be different but it's not like you wouldn't offer him.
I believe. The question that posed was if you could go back in time and bring back somebody to make this team better, who would you choose?

If that was truly the question, Joe Barry would not be the player I would choose to add to this team to make it better. I would add Mount and play him at the 3 or I’d add Big Dog and play him at the 3 or I’d add Wooden and add him to the backcourt. Or Cardinal and add him to be that scrappy guy off the bench.

A tough question of who’d I’d rather start. Joe Barry Carrol or Edey! I’ve seen both play. I believe I’d start Carroll and bring in Edey off the bench to get a little physical when needed! remember when UCLA had Sven Nator and he was their backup off their bench! That guy was awesome and proved his worth in the ABA and NBA. But he wasn’t good enough to start at UCLA.

I would include wooden. Wasn’t he a 2 time all American? We tend to forget about the players we never saw play
3-time. But it was different back then they didn’t have first or second team some rankings had like 15 players and they had 6 on the concensus team.

I agree with Robbie. Not only will zack be two time all American he will be two time player of the year. Hasn’t been done in 40 years. And it’s not even close.

no, doesn't work that way ;)
In this scenario, though, it probably does. Not only will he basically be the man who finally got it done for Purdue, it will be the one piece that all the other Boilermaker greats didn’t have (you can make the case for Wooden in 1932, but we all know we’re talking modern era NCAA tournament champs). Additionally playing all the games to get to the NC would mean he’ll probably break the all time scoring record for Purdue and he’s probably going to be the best rebounder (he’s already at number 2 on that list). It would most likely mean he was a back to back NPOY. Hard to argue that resume even with emotional ties to guys from our eras.

Reactions: tjreese
In this scenario, though, it probably does. Not only will he basically be the man who finally got it done for Purdue, it will be the one piece that all the other Boilermaker greats didn’t have (you can make the case for Wooden in 1932, but we all know we’re talking modern era NCAA tournament champs). Additionally playing all the games to get to the NC would mean he’ll probably break the all time scoring record for Purdue and he’s probably going to be the best rebounder (he’s already at number 2 on that list). It would most likely mean he was a back to back NPOY. Hard to argue that resume even with emotional ties to guys from our eras.
Zach's accomplishments are incredible...they truly are. We have been blessed to see the performances the last three years and yes there were time I wanted him playing 3 years ago over Trevion at certain times in certain games. All that said, Zach depends on others due to his position much more than Big Dog did. Glenn could take over a game with little help from others. He was that athletic and versatile as a player where he could shoot from 20+ or dunk on you and so anywhere within 20+ feet of the rim Glenn was a threat to score. I would pick Glenn over Zach, but Zach is incredible in what he has done as well. Personally, they play at different times and different positions and are both great and leave it at that...

Not when you've SEEN the other guy (Glenn) and he was CLEARLY the most talented player of my lifetime of purdue watching. And put up enormous numbers AND NPOY of the year in 2 years. Zach is a tremendously talented big man. Who's also bigger than everyone else......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT