ADVERTISEMENT

How to Watch & Game Thread: #5 Purdue vs Rutgers

What is Andy Katz's problem with Purdue? I mean, he is speaking the truth about the press but he is always so negative about Purdue. Like, every time he speaks it "well they won again, but..."
I think he’s mad that after Purdue lost to Rutgers he went all in on the Rutgers bandwagon and they made him look bad.

This game reminded me of Wisconsin elite 8 in 2000 - Wisconsin just pushed, pulled jersey's, and fouled the shit out of you make the refs call it until the refs became desensitized to calling anything and allowing absolute garbage late in
Another maddenly, poorly officiated game. Wisconsin played thug ball.

I was a fan of his before this game, but he is ridiculously annoying.

I really like his game, but I will say he went down a slight notch with that stuff today.....trash talk all you want if you can back it up, but it's bush league then to whine on almost every call and then flop on the ZE technical. Granted, it worked - but that's really on the officials.

Caleb McConnell is a warrior. Game was physical and more consistently called then some - though Omoruyi is the one that got some breaks....Purdue did get a few as well.

Good to see the Boilers match it even with some mistakes. Also, although a technical could be a game-swinger, I have to like Zach Edey standing up for his guys.

Two things I enjoyed seeing late in the game. On McConnell's fifth foul he ended uo face to face with Painter who said something, McConnell seemed to answer back and they were both laughing. Good sportsmanship on both sides. Could not believe McConnell was laughing after just fouling out in such a close game. Kind of shows there is more to the game than just winning or losing.

And then to give the Devil his due, when Mulcahey was going thru the handshake line, he was swatting our guys and hugging them and doing anything but the cursory hand shake most guys give after a loss. Again, as irritating as he is in-game, it is always nice to see opposing players forgive and forget afterward.

Two things I enjoyed seeing late in the game. On McConnell's fifth foul he ended uo face to face with Painter who said something, McConnell seemed to answer back and they were both laughing. Good sportsmanship on both sides. Could not believe McConnell was laughing after just fouling out in such a close game. Kind of shows there is more to the game than just winning or losing.

And then to give the Devil his due, when Mulcahey was going thru the handshake line, he was swatting our guys and hugging them and doing anything but the cursory hand shake most guys give after a loss. Again, as irritating as he is in-game, it is always nice to see opposing players forgive and forget afterward.

I will say that there does appear to be some healthy respect among the players and coaches on both teams. I thought Rutgers could make a run last year - maybe it will be this year......they could be a tough out, and a high seed won't want to seem them in the second round.

I won't spam your board as a visitor today but two comments on this.

1 - Caleb and Painter - I was also surprised to see them both smiling and laughing in a key moment right after Caleb got whistled for #5. Matt probably said something along the lines of being glad Purdue won't be playing Caleb again.

2 - As much crap as PM gets from non-Rutgers fans, I think he's the kind of player that every team would LOVE to have on their team and hates when he is on the other team. He is passionate, no doubt about it, but I don't think he is dirty.

I think our programs (at least the coaching staffs and most of the players) have a ton of respect for one another.

1 - Caleb and Painter - I was also surprised to see them both smiling and laughing in a key moment right after Caleb got whistled for #5. Matt probably said something along the lines of being glad Purdue won't be playing Caleb again.

2 - As much crap as PM gets from non-Rutgers fans, I think he's the kind of player that every team would LOVE to have on their team and hates when he is on the other team. He is passionate, no doubt about it, but I don't think he is dirty.

I think our programs (at least the coaching staffs and most of the players) have a ton of respect for one another.

Wasn’t it Rutgers students who were chanting things about Haas’ special needs sister a few years ago. Yeah, you can forget respect when that sort of thing is going on.

Rutgers is the new number one on my hate list. More than IU. I have never hated a player more than paul mulcahy. I thought I was done hating opposing college basketball players at my age but I can't ignore mulcahy. He is the biggest flopper and whiner I have ever seen when compared to the physical style he plays. Hope Rutgers gets blown out in their first NCAA tournament game.

In the NBA, space has to be left for the shooter to come down for safety. I don’t know if college has that rule.
So he jumped forward and ended up sideways with his right leg even farther than the rest of his body went forward. Glad he missed 2???? , but can’t blame Brandon on that one although the refs shouldn’t have blown the whistle…particularly with all that was allowed earlier

Despite my earlier post complaining about him, I have seen that side of Mulcahey as well. Annoying on the court, but seems like a good kid off of it.

McConnell is the type that drives you crazy on the other team, but you love to have on your own.

Wasn’t it Rutgers students who were chanting things about Haas’ special needs sister a few years ago. Yeah, you can forget respect when that sort of thing is going on.
I don't remember Rutgers doing it. I know that the media got ahold of the written plan for the Crimson Guard, student section at IU, to use it.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin

Pickel told him to hug any Purdue player he was standing next to during the game. He forgot to tell him not to do that during the handshake line. 😎😂

Just an update on my grandson. Surgery at Riley this morning went very well. Opened at 9. Closed at 2. 5 hours for what could have been much longer. Tumor was removed and there was no brainstem involvement. Fingers crossed now for the biopsy results. Thanks for the many thoughts and prayers. I'll never understand why things like this happen to children. 9 years ago it was his cousin, another of my grandchildren, that was diagnosed at 3 years of age with leukemia. After two years of treatment through Children's Hospital of St Louis he was cancer free. Today he's a normal 11 year old. Hopefully Asher comes through this with as much success.

Just an update on my grandson. Surgery at Riley this morning went very well. Opened at 9. Closed at 2. 5 hours for what could have been much longer. Tumor was removed and there was no brainstem involvement. Fingers crossed now for the biopsy results. Thanks for the many thoughts and prayers. I'll never understand why things like this happen to children. 9 years ago it was his cousin, another of my grandchildren, that was diagnosed at 3 years of age with leukemia. After two years of treatment through Children's Hospital of St Louis he was cancer free. Today he's a normal 11 year old. Hopefully Asher comes through this with as much success.

Very good to hear, SIBoiler2.....continued thoughts and prayers during this difficult time and that you, Asher, and your family can find peace and comfort. Yes, life can throw so much at us that is difficult to understand in the grand scheme of things....have faith that it is all in life's plan.

Reactions: tjreese
Continued thoughts and prayers to your family.

Reactions: tjreese
Tough times for so many. I know a young man who had leukemia and he is fine now although it did stunt his growth some. Momm and dad weren't very tall either and so he had a couple things working against him. He is an engineer for Chyrsler today.

Disagree on PM. It's McConnell that everyone wants. Huge fan of him, and Painter told him he same thing at the end of the game. You can keep PM. I used to like PM, but soured on him with the unnecessary extracurriculars. He's good enough player not to have to do all that stuff. Tripping Gillis, sticking his butt out as people run by going for rebounds when he's out of position, that flop. It's not one specific thing, but this is all in just one game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT