ADVERTISEMENT

Jacksonville v. Purdue Game Thread

Painter passes Lou Doo on all-time Big Ten wins list.....as Purdue defeats Jacksonville 100-57.

Congratulations, Matt Painter.

Matt-Painter-Purdue-Mens-Basketball-Coach-20230305_AS_005432-16x9-1.jpg

238561.jpg.0.jpg

Last edited:
Wanted to give a shout out the Jacksonville defensive plan. To their credit, they came out and utilized quite a few of Purdue's weaknesses today to try and slow down Purdue's mighty offense: Zone, hard hedge on the ball screen and full court trap.

Its great experience for Smith and the team to run through those scenarios as much as possible because you know its coming again from more difficult competition. And to the team's credit, when Zach is getting doubled and Braden is basically getting doubled on the hedge they stepped up and carried the load tonight.

TKR was awesome today. Fun game to watch!
I’ve said in the past that I thought that Gillis was a better fit with Edey than TKR, but I am starting to change my mind on that (and it has everything to with TKR, as I still am a big fan of what Gillis brings).

TKR is looking far more comfortable than I thought he did earlier in the season and is figuring out how to take advantage of playing next to Edey to put opposing defenses in a bind. He’s such a talented and versatile scorer, but he’s also rebounding, passing, and defending. I still am not sure about facing 4 guard line-ups with him, but even there he makes up for it as he creates his own mismatch on the other end.

It's interesting that a guy who averages 10 shots a game would end up taking two shots in 23 minutes. I wonder if this was planned, he took it upon himself to get others involved or it's what the defense dictated.

My guess is Smith just wanted to let other guys get some points. Might be another indication of the type of teammate Smith is.

It's interesting that a guy who averages 10 shots a game would end up taking two shots in 23 minutes. I wonder if this was planned, he took it upon himself to get others involved or it's what the defense dictated.

My guess is Smith just wanted to let other guys get some points. Might be another indication of the type of teammate Smith is.
He sure had a beautiful pass to Heide.

I’ve said in the past that I thought that Gillis was a better fit with Edey than TKR, but I am starting to change my mind on that (and it has everything to with TKR, as I still am a big fan of what Gillis brings).

TKR is looking far more comfortable than I thought he did earlier in the season and is figuring out how to take advantage of playing next to Edey to put opposing defenses in a bind. He’s such a talented and versatile scorer, but he’s also rebounding, passing, and defending. I still am not sure about facing 4 guard line-ups with him, but even there he makes up for it as he creates his own mismatch on the other end.
I agree. MP has some really good options, depending on match-ups.

Wanted to give a shout out the Jacksonville defensive plan. To their credit, they came out and utilized quite a few of Purdue's weaknesses today to try and slow down Purdue's mighty offense: Zone, hard hedge on the ball screen and full court trap.

Its great experience for Smith and the team to run through those scenarios as much as possible because you know its coming again from more difficult competition. And to the team's credit, when Zach is getting doubled and Braden is basically getting doubled on the hedge they stepped up and carried the load tonight.
for us older Boilers, glad they didn't have Artis Gilmore and Pembroke Burroughs underneath

• Haha
Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
for us older Boilers, glad they didn't have Artis Gilmore and Pembroke Burroughs underneath
my neighbor got a scholly to that team. Two went to Indiana players. Phil Carter (RIP) and I think the other was Flynn at maybe Jeffersonville. Artis 7'8" with the fro. They all had cars back then...

Reactions: BoilerAndy

It looked intentional from my viewpoint. I was happy to see Heidi and Colvin get those minutes.

I was thinking about that while the announcers were going on and on about IU with Knight. They never mentioned Gilmore or Burroughs, twin towers on the floor at the same time. 1972?

I was thinking about that while the announcers were going on and on about IU with Knight. They never mentioned Gilmore or Burroughs, twin towers on the floor at the same time. 1972?
I think their front line averaged 7 feet, but can't recall the other player. Rex Morgan (6'5"???) I think was Robin and Batman was Gilmore. Vaughn (sp???) Vedecking or something close was maybe 5'11"? Their coach was very unconventional I also seem to recall

It looked intentional from my viewpoint. I was happy to see Heidi and Colvin get those minutes.
I think he prefers assists to baskets and sometimes passes too much when he has a layup and passes for the 3 ball

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT