ADVERTISEMENT

Don't look now, but Wisky just lost.

It seems that way. But, it's been a double-edged sword. Every team that beat Purdue this year lost it's next game with the lone exception of Wisconsin's win at Mackey Arena.
That is an interesting factoid! I've told folks all season long, we finally got the press we haven't had, we had it all season and we were walking around with a target (one that said "Quad 1 tourney resume builder") on our backs since the start of the season. We got everybodies best game, and we weathered them all...losing 4 on last second Hail Mary's. With the grind the schedule became in February, I'll take that.

Badgers almost lost to Penn State at home earlier in the season. Boilers seem to bring out the best in everybody.

A little like '07/08.....Purdue beats Wisconsin twice and still loses out on the title....beats Illinois (who may get a share) twice and no cigar again. Purdue had some good runs after that until (*&^&%$# CENSORED!)......maybe there in for some good runs the next several years.

Yep - 'ol Tex is still grasping at straws. :)

That is an interesting factoid! I've told folks all season long, we finally got the press we haven't had, we had it all season and we were walking around with a target (one that said "Quad 1 tourney resume builder") on our backs since the start of the season. We got everybodies best game, and we weathered them all...losing 4 on last second Hail Mary's. With the grind the schedule became in February, I'll take that.
Oh, Purdue's been a tough out this year, no doubt. We can see that both in how teams have beaten Purdue (all the last second shots) and in the fact that five of the six went out and lost their next game.

It sucks that this team lost out on a B1G championship, but I still think it's a very good team. Need to clean up the sloppy turnovers, keep improving the second half defense, and refocus at the free throw line. This team could make a March run yet.

to the worst team in the BT. On their senior day. MAN, do they suck!!! FIRE THEIR COACH!!! :p
ha ha fire the coach of a team picked 6th that won the BIG and beat Purdue twice. Wisconsin is truly 6th based on talent, but over the long haul they got it done.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Definitely will be rooting for IL now tonight. Assuming the top seeds win their QF games in BTT, I'd rather face Wis in semi final (w/ or w/o a healthy Johnny Davis).

Does it really matter for NCAAT? Prob not, because we're likely a 3 seed no matter what. Just looking at our best path to the final in BTT. Winning BTT would take some of the regular season sting away and give a confidence boost this team prob needs right now going into dance.

Definitely will be rooting for IL now tonight. Assuming the top seeds win their QF games in BTT, I'd rather face Wis in semi final (w/ or w/o a healthy Johnny Davis).

Does it really matter for NCAAT? Prob not, because we're likely a 3 seed no matter what. Just looking at our best path to the final in BTT. Winning BTT would take some of the regular season sting away and give a confidence boost this team prob needs right now going into dance.
I don't think we're a 3-seed no matter what. For the NCAA T I mean.

Nebraska played without its lone star -- Bryce McGowens (17 ppg) -- but still led at the half, then had nine (9) fouls with two techs called before the first media timeout -- reversing the score and losing Trey McGowens (7 ppg) to a flagrant call -- and later lost top scorer for the day Alonso Verge (26 points) to fouls, including a split-second “look-back” at a ref, called a tech, but the Cornhuskers still won at Madison on Senior Day. Worst team in the league?

I don't think we're a 3-seed no matter what. For the NCAA T I mean.
IMO, that door only stays open if we win BTT and multiple teams that we need to jump lose to bad teams in theirs, but I just don't see it happening.

If we win BTT or even make it to BTT Final and committee "rewards" us with a 3 seed in Midwest, then I'll be happy with it.

IMO, that door only stays open if we win BTT and multiple teams that we need to jump lose to bad teams in theirs, but I just don't see it happening.

If we win BTT or even make it to BTT Final and committee "rewards" us with a 3 seed in Midwest, then I'll be happy with it.
Currently we are the 2nd 3-seed on the Matrix. Villanova and Wisconsin ahead of us. If we beat Wisconsin in Indy, hard to argue that we don't deserve the 2.

Currently we are the 2nd 3-seed on the Matrix. Villanova and Wisconsin ahead of us. If we beat Wisconsin in Indy, hard to argue that we don't deserve the 2.

Hopefully Illinois wins and Wisky is the 2 seed so we can freaking stomp them.

The question is, will Wisconsin be up front with the Davis injury prognosis?

Nebraska played without its lone star -- Bryce McGowens (17 ppg) -- but still led at the half, then had nine (9) fouls with two techs called before the first media timeout -- reversing the score and losing Trey McGowens (7 ppg) to a flagrant call -- and later lost top scorer for the day Alonso Verge (26 points) to fouls, including a split-second “look-back” at a ref, called a tech, but the Cornhuskers still won at Madison on Senior Day. Worst team in the league?
I turned the game of after that bizarre tech was called on a slight stare

Just a hunch - thinking Purdue ends up the (3) in the Midwest come next Sunday. I think the Boilers could play their way up to a (2) with two good wins.
I know we haven't been playing as well recently, but we're still two Hail Mary three pointers away from a 1 seed.

I'm desperately trying not to get my hopes up, but a nice little Final Four run would really hit the spot right now. :D

Hopefully Illinois wins and Wisky is the 2 seed so we can freaking stomp them.
Gotta get through the quarterfinal first. OSU looks likely, but I could see Penn State getting through. Purdue has at least two quarterfinal losses as a top-4 seed in recent years.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Looking at the standings on google and Wisky stands 15-6 while our record is 14-6. Why do we play a game less this year? That could've well cost us the regular season championship.

Did I miss something? Can someone fill me in?

Looking at the standings on google and Wisky stands 15-6 while our record is 14-6. Why do we play a game less this year? That could've well cost us the regular season championship.

A mistake.....Illinois and Wisconsin were both 15-5; Illinois won the only head-to-head meeting, so the Illini are the top seed.

Big 10 Standings

1. Illinois (15 - 5) Defeated Wisconsin based on head-to-head record (1-0).
2. Wisconsin (15 - 5) Lost to Illinois based on head-to-head record (0-1).
3. Purdue (14 - 6)
4. Rutgers (12 - 8)
Defeated Iowa and Ohio St based on round-robin record (2-0).
5. Iowa (12 - 8) Defeated Ohio St and lost to Rutgers based on round-robin record (1-1).
6. Ohio St (12 - 8) Lost to Rutgers and Iowa based on round-robin record (0-2).
7. Mich St (11 - 9) Defeated Michigan based on winning percentage against #1 teams [Illinois and Wisconsin] (1-3).
8. Michigan (11 - 9) Lost to Mich St based on winning percentage against #1 teams [Illinois and Wisconsin] (0-3).
9. Indiana (9 - 11)
10. Maryland (7 - 13)
With Penn St, defeated N'western based on round-robin record (2-1). Defeated Penn St based on winning percentage against #1 teams [Illinois and Wisconsin] (1-2).
11. Penn St (7 - 13) With Maryland, defeated N'western based on round-robin record (2-1). Lost to Maryland based on winning percentage against #1 teams [Illinois and Wisconsin] (0-2).
12. N'western (7 - 13) Lost to Maryland and Penn St based on round-robin record (1-3).
13. Nebraska (4 - 16) Defeated Minnesota based on head-to-head record (1-0).
14. Minnesota (4 - 16) Lost to Nebraska based on head-to-head record (0-1).

Wait, did I just see that one of the worst (almost the bottom) teams in the BIG just beat mighty Wisconsin, at Wisconsin? Holy cow! The BIG is just brutal this year.

:cool:

Reactions: Bethboilerfan

I saw that on CBS' app this afternoon as well. They've had a lot of factual mistakes like that in the last couple years.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
As for hangovers, it’s sad we’re reduced to taking credit for others beating people we couldn’t.

Purdue was Sparty’s only win inside six games, so let’s take the bows for Penn State, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan and Ohio State, because Sparty apparently only cared about us.

What the post-Purdue-losing really says is that no one who beat us was anything special. We had losses to two bubble teams, two also-rans and no one in the season’s final AP Top Ten.

You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken-wing buzz bombs. We needed to meet our hype.

As for hangovers, it’s sad we’re reduced to taking credit for others beating people we couldn’t.

Purdue was Sparty’s only win inside six games, so let’s take the bows for Penn State, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan and Ohio State, because Sparty apparently only cared about us.

What the post-Purdue-losing really says is that no one who beat us was anything special. We had losses to two bubble teams, two also-rans and no one in the season’s final AP Top Ten.

You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken-wing buzz bombs. We needed to meet our hype.
misery loves company

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT