ADVERTISEMENT

Could only 4 Big Ten teams make the NCAA Tournament?

As of this morning, "Bracketologists" has only 4 Big Ten teams in with Nebraska in the first four out! Both Nebraska and Northwestern are predicated to go 11-9 in conference play. The problem is not the quality wins they have had at home, it will be the bad losses up coming!
RPI has our boilers going 18-2, Wisconsin 15-5 and Illinois going 14-6 in conference play!
Realize that the bracketologists site is going strictly by the rankings to determine "their" bracket.

Yep. A terrible way to do it. Nebraska and NW would both be in if the season ends today. They just need to avoid bad losses down the stretch.
I don't think it's all that terrible as long as you know that that's what they're doing.

This morning’s Joey Brackets on ESPN.com has 6 B1G team in. Sparty a 7 (somehow) and the Wildcats and Cornhuskers 9’s.

Yep. A terrible way to do it. Nebraska and NW would both be in if the season ends today. They just need to avoid bad losses down the stretch.
Thats the problem, the season does not end today and most sites are predicting NW & NE
will have bad losses coming to these two bubble teams. ACC and the BT are both very top heavy conferences and weak on the bottom! SEC and Big 12 could get up to 8 or 9 teams each! Even the Mountain West could get 5! BT could get 6, but the bubble line is getting crowded!

This morning’s Joey Brackets on ESPN.com has 6 B1G team in. Sparty a 7 (somehow) and the Wildcats and Cornhuskers 9’s.
The metrics love MSU. It has to do with the strength of their schedule and the fact that even though they have lost to most of the good teams on their schedule, they have never really been blown out much (outside of a couple of exceptions). They are 22nd in the NET but are the only team in the top 35 with only 14 wins.

Go to the bracket matrix and follow some of the links to the individual bracketologists. You will find sites that project a "if the tourney started today" bracket and others that project what will happen the rest of the season before making a bracket.

I think there is value in both approaches but it is important to know what approach is being taken

Thats the problem, the season does not end today and most sites are predicting NW & NE
will have bad losses coming to these two bubble teams. ACC and the BT are both very top heavy conferences and weak on the bottom! SEC and Big 12 could get up to 8 or 9 teams each! Even the Mountain West could get 5! BT could get 6, but the bubble line is getting crowded!
The bubble is the same every year.

Metrics make Sparty look better than what we have seen so far on court. They could be z hard out for whoever they face.

Northwestern will be a tough draw. Nebraska probably in but think they have work to do. They are Jekyll and Hyde on the road.

Go to the bracket matrix and follow some of the links to the individual bracketologists. You will find sites that project a "if the tourney started today" bracket and others that project what will happen the rest of the season before making a bracket.

I think there is value in both approaches but it is important to know what approach is being taken
And some are straight up using metrics and no thought whatsoever.

Metrics make Sparty look better than what we have seen so far on court. They could be z hard out for whoever they face.

Northwestern will be a tough draw. Nebraska probably in but think they have work to do. They are Jekyll and Hyde on the road.
No way would I want to meet Sparty in the first two rounds if I am an opposing coach

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
No way would I want to meet Sparty in the first two rounds if I am an opposing coach
Marquette:

Charlize Theron Oscars GIF by Budweiser

• Haha
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
As I noted above, Maryland. After seeing Rutgers only score 46 at home vs. PSU, I no longer think that Maryland will drop that one. So they could reasonably be 21-10 (13-7) going into the BTT. Their biggest problem was some really bad non-con losses that is killing their NET ranking (79 currently). Their Kenpom is better at 52.
So they have work to do, but I could see them pulling it off.
Nevermind. Maryland just dropped their home game to Rutgers. They would essentially have to win out to even get back on the bubble.

Nevermind. Maryland just dropped their home game to Rutgers. They would essentially have to win out to even get back on the bubble.

Another classic rock fight.....though these are two of the better defenses in the conference. Young - 16 points on 3/17 shooting (8/8 FT's).....yikes. Omoruyi in foul trouble all night, too.

Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan St. are in right now! Ohio State, who I think is going to fold, is currently 5th in the conference with a Net of 46, 12 of its current 13 wins are Quad 3 & 4 and has SOS of 155 on Bracketolgists. They have already lost to IU, Michigan and Penn St.. Their best win in Conference is Minnesota at home? Iowa, the 6th rated Net of 49, has played a tough schedule, but 0-6 in Quad 1 games, but has a Quad 3 loss at home to Michigan. At 11-7 and 2 home losses, can't afford to have any more bad losses! Nebraska 7th in the Net, might have the best chance if they can hold serve at home, but can they win any road games(0-4BT)? Their Out-of-conf SOS is 321, OUCH! Northwestern is 8th in the Net at 78, but has a Quad 4 loss! Ouch! The problem with the Big Ten is you have about 4 teams that are consider as Quad 1 wins, so it will be real hard for these bubble teams to find quality wins. Ohio St. has to pick a win up at home against either Illinois or Purdue, but does not play either on the road, They already have been pounded at home bye Wisconsin and still have to play their. Iowa has to beat Illinois or Wisconsin at home, or Illinois on the road. Nebraska has to beat Wisconsin at home, but can they win on the road? Northwestern has to beat Illinois at home, or try to steal one at Purdue! When was the last time only 4 teams from the BT made the tournament?
I just laugh thinking of Michigan as a Quad 3 loss.

Samford is a Quad 2 win. Indiana State is better than Indiana, Butler or Notre Dame.

What has this world come to?

Another classic rock fight.....though these are two of the better defenses in the conference. Young - 16 points on 3/17 shooting (8/8 FT's).....yikes. Omoruyi in foul trouble all night, too.
Yet another mid-winter B1G battle.....gotta love it (no I don't have to). 56-53 good lord that is just embarrassing.

Welp, Michigan bucked the trend.....they have been something like the second worst second half team in the major conferences to DePaul....held on to a 4-pt half-time lead and took down Bucky.

f64f1ffa-a6ea-4bb3-becd-801853a57df2_text.gif
Wisconsin has one chance to tie Purdue, run the table(won't happen)! I believe Illinois will slide, tough games coming! Nebraska is outside, has to pickup some road wins or no NCAA! Michigan State might be heading the wrong way, computers like them, but can Izzo get them there? Tough road. Northwestern is in but have some major pot holes coming! 3 teams safe, 2 bubble teams, 1 on the outside!

Wisconsin has one chance to tie Purdue, run the table(won't happen)! I believe Illinois will slide, tough games coming! Nebraska is outside, has to pickup some road wins or no NCAA! Michigan State might be heading the wrong way, computers like them, but can Izzo get them there? Tough road. Northwestern is in but have some major pot holes coming! 3 teams safe, 2 bubble teams, 1 on the outside!
Wisconsin now needs more than winning out to tie Purdue.

And again, 68 teams have to make the tournament. All 3 of NE, NW and MS are in virtually all brackets on the matrix right now. If they falter, they will be doing it with another team jumping up presumably.

Wisconsin now needs more than winning out to tie Purdue.

And again, 68 teams have to make the tournament. All 3 of NE, NW and MS are in virtually all brackets on the matrix right now. If they falter, they will be doing it with another team jumping up presumably.
But only 36 are invited, 32 get automatic bids!

Yes I know that.
You know if the BIG TEN Tournament would start today Nebraska would be seeded 9th! IU would be 8th, PS 7th, MS 6th, and Minn would be 5th! Ya I know things will change, but the team you have in is currently setting 9th in the conference and can't win a road game! BUBBLE

You know if the BIG TEN Tournament would start today Nebraska would be seeded 9th! IU would be 8th, PS 7th, MS 6th, and Minn would be 5th! Ya I know things will change, but the team you have in is currently setting 9th in the conference and can't win a road game! BUBBLE
I also know that at least before yesterday, 1 game separated 4th from 11th.

He’s not the only one that has them comfortably in. Conference standings are irrelevant. It’s about who you beat and who beat you.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Palm is one of the worst bracketologists out there.

Bracket matrix has him rated, based in his bracket projections of the last 5 years, 142 out of 174 bracketologists.

Seems odd that someone whose JOB it is to predict the bracket is so bad at it. Almost as bad as the Sport Illustrated and Yahoo Sports guys.

Meanwhile all these other people doing it just because are crushing it.

As of this morning, CBS has Nebraska the last of the last 4 in and Michigan St. the first one out. Neither team can win on the road. That being said, GO SPARTANS!
Michigan St. is headed in the wrong direction( headed to the bubble) 2 bad losses and some tough games upcoming, could IU hold the fate of a couple teams?

Michigan St. is headed in the wrong direction( headed to the bubble) 2 bad losses and some tough games upcoming, could IU hold the fate of a couple teams?
That was a bad loss. I think they still find a way to make it.

Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan St. are in right now! Ohio State, who I think is going to fold, is currently 5th in the conference with a Net of 46, 12 of its current 13 wins are Quad 3 & 4 and has SOS of 155 on Bracketolgists. They have already lost to IU, Michigan and Penn St.. Their best win in Conference is Minnesota at home? Iowa, the 6th rated Net of 49, has played a tough schedule, but 0-6 in Quad 1 games, but has a Quad 3 loss at home to Michigan. At 11-7 and 2 home losses, can't afford to have any more bad losses! Nebraska 7th in the Net, might have the best chance if they can hold serve at home, but can they win any road games(0-4BT)? Their Out-of-conf SOS is 321, OUCH! Northwestern is 8th in the Net at 78, but has a Quad 4 loss! Ouch! The problem with the Big Ten is you have about 4 teams that are consider as Quad 1 wins, so it will be real hard for these bubble teams to find quality wins. Ohio St. has to pick a win up at home against either Illinois or Purdue, but does not play either on the road, They already have been pounded at home bye Wisconsin and still have to play their. Iowa has to beat Illinois or Wisconsin at home, or Illinois on the road. Nebraska has to beat Wisconsin at home, but can they win on the road? Northwestern has to beat Illinois at home, or try to steal one at Purdue! When was the last time only 4 teams from the BT made the tournament?
Will usc and ucla make any difference in the conference

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT