ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Targets for 2023-2024 Season

Purdue won't get many looks from transfers until the dominoes start falling at Purdue. Guys that are transferring are generally looking for minutes.

Purdue loses Jenkins and adds Berg, Colvin and Heide. In the current state, I would think a guy would need to be clearly better than what Purdue currently has before he would come to Purdue. Guys don't transfer to be the 8th or 9th man.

Perfect fit for Purdue may not align with the perfect fit for the transfer.
I’d argue that the minutes are there to be had at the guard position. Purdue only has one point guard and is thin at the 2 with Loyer and Colvin, (and Colvin is more of an athletic wing than the type of combo guard that Painter appears to be targeting). Not only do there appear to be minutes available to a dynamic ball handler, but I definitely think that the right guard would have an opportunity to compete for a starting position, most likely at the 2. As much as I like Loyer, he has left the door open. It will be interesting to see what happens.

From what I can see, Purdue’s logjam is at the three. This is where I would think a transfer out is most likely to come from, but I don’t see where it helps much when recruiting a combo guard.

I’d argue that the minutes are there to be had at the guard position. Purdue only has one point guard and is thin at the 2 with Loyer and Colvin, (and Colvin is more of an athletic wing than the type of combo guard that Painter appears to be targeting). Not only do there appear to be minutes available to a dynamic ball handler, but I definitely think that the right guard would have an opportunity to compete for a starting position, most likely at the 2. As much as I like Loyer, he has left the door open. It will be interesting to see what happens.

From what I can see, Purdue’s logjam is at the three. This is where I would think a transfer out is most likely to come from, but I don’t see where it helps much when recruiting a combo guard.
I think a "guard" will be taken...not sure if two will be taken since there are potential pieces that could be moving. Limited viewing I think Myles is a 3, but could play some 2 if he plays a lot as a freshman. I don't know what to expect out of Camden...3?...4? Brandon is a 3 that could play some at the 2 as well with no difference in his issues. Brian is a 3 or was...not sure how his body goes over the summer. He has to get more leg and get under his shot a bit more...right now more of a push. What does Trey/Caleb do as far as ball handing and shooting before next season. Will Mason improve his ball handling and continue to work on pull ups as well as coming off screens and getting feet set quicker behind the arc? Berg is a 5 and will he command minutes. So many potential moving pieces that I understand one guard...but not knowing so many other variables if Matt goes after two...and all these may change a bit depending on what Zach does. If Zach stays, would love to see him hit wide open out to 15 AND work on an ability to dribble two dribbles quickly without losing it when his defender hedges really hard and up high...

Purdue won't get many looks from transfers until the dominoes start falling at Purdue. Guys that are transferring are generally looking for minutes.

Purdue loses Jenkins and adds Berg, Colvin and Heide. In the current state, I would think a guy would need to be clearly better than what Purdue currently has before he would come to Purdue. Guys don't transfer to be the 8th or 9th man.

Perfect fit for Purdue may not align with the perfect fit for the transfer.
A combo guard transfer that can play both spots can get 20-25 minutes per game I think. Smith shouldn’t be playing 30 minutes a night, maybe 26, same with Loyer.

In the new world of NIL, you should believe you have at least 12 scholarships open each year. That is the new reality where loyalty means nothing

Lots of 3 and 4 guard lineups were successful in the NCAA.

Reactions: clbndgm and Schnelk
Pitino cleaning house at SJU. Basically their entire roster in the portal. Storr and Alexander will be prime candidates for a lot of high major schools.

Massoud from K State is in the portal, he was huge for K State in a few tourney games.

I think Colvin is going to play and with a year on the weights i'm confident Loyer comes in a different player next year. And I think the position will be much improved.
With them plus Heide and Newman I sure don't see any minutes at 2 and few at 3 (adds Waddell and maybe Gillis) for anyone new unless they are really good.
Some minutes at the 1 but you'd have to be awfully good to displace more than 5-10 minutes a game from Smith, again No Longer a Freshman! :)

I think Colvin is going to play and with a year on the weights i'm confident Loyer comes in a different player next year. And I think the position will be much improved.
With them plus Heide and Newman I sure don't see any minutes at 2 and few at 3 (adds Waddell and maybe Gillis) for anyone new unless they are really good.
Some minutes at the 1 but you'd have to be awfully good to displace more than 5-10 minutes a game from Smith, again No Longer a Freshman! :)
Smith at 25 minutes a game works for me, 31 is to much, so 15 can be had just backing up the spot, maybe another 5-7 playing at the two or alongside Smith and Loyer. Would Tamar Bates be awful to look at? Painter looked at him before, he had some good games, maybe he’d be good here? Can he play some PG?

Ryan Langborg who averaged 18 for Princeton in the tourney is taking a grad transfer year elsewhere. 6-4 guard who looked great in the tourney would seemingly be someone to look into.

When did Hunter enter the portal last time? I'd assume that the timing would be the same.

Newman and TKR are the most likely.

Even Morton is a possibility based on the math of minutes but I doubt it because of his personality.
Thought I remember Sasha and Hunter stating they weren't coming back for their Covid year even before the season started.

With all of these guys getting contacted it's pretty clear Purdue is going to have guys leave, It looks like guys getting contacted are primarily guards.

Guys that aren't in the 10 man rotation won't see the floor from day one of the season and by the end of the season the rotation will be down to 8 or 9. If Purdue brings in anybody in the backcourt, we could see two backcourt guys leave. Could be just one if Waddell and either Morton, Colvin or Heide are willing to accept less than 10 minutes per game.

I think Loyer and Smith are locks for the rotation at the 1, 2 and 3. Now choose three of the following:

Transfer 1
Morton
Newman
Colvin
Heide
Waddell

That leaves three guys without minutes playing for Purdue next fall.
I said in another thread that as much as I love Newman, he won't get much time. Morton turns into a bench cheerleader. Waddell stays as he wants to be a Boiler. I think Newman stays, but he does have his degree. Colvin and Heide are studs, but not PGs. We still need a major minutes PG - but probably not a starter. So ... not an easy find.

Reactions: Boiler8285

Agree

I said in another thread that as much as I love Newman, he won't get much time. Morton turns into a bench cheerleader. Waddell stays as he wants to be a Boiler. I think Newman stays, but he does have his degree. Colvin and Heide are studs, but not PGs. We still need a major minutes PG - but probably not a starter. So ... not an easy find.
Waddell may want to be a Boiler, but that doesn’t necessarily guarantee him a scholarship IMO.

Regarding our guards, I would take the Smith and Loyer we saw at the beginning of the season over almost any other combination mentioned here. Those guys, when fresh, were terrific . I think as freshmen, they simply got worn down and lost some of their juice over the season. Loyer is known to be deadly from three but couldn't hit shots by the end of the year. Let's give these two a year in the weight room and some time to recuperate. Add someone (maybe 2) to give them both some relief, and I think we will be more than okay.

Both Khaliff Battle and Nicolas Timberlake are off the table now.
Predictions to UCF & UNC

Only two impact guards left in Armstrong & Nelson that could both start and significantly improve Purdue.

The rest are likely backup options

Smith at 25 minutes a game works for me, 31 is to much, so 15 can be had just backing up the spot, maybe another 5-7 playing at the two or alongside Smith and Loyer. Would Tamar Bates be awful to look at? Painter looked at him before, he had some good games, maybe he’d be good here? Can he play some PG?
"displace" meaning take any of his actual playing time. Not counting the minutes he needs to sit for rest.
If he plays 25 next season someone will have displaced him for 6 minutes. That's what I meant by the 5-10 if they are good.

Last edited:
Only two impact guards left in Armstrong & Nelson that could both start and significantly improve Purdue.

The rest are likely backup options

I will be surprised to the max if CMP lands either. He likely would like the players, per contact, just doesn't know how to land them. Not good @ short term recruiting.

Although I think there are a few other like Ryan Langborg, mentioned above who could be an impact guy.

Likely land a backup though like last year. Hopefully, as good.

You do know Matt played WITH his dad right?
Guaranteed ;)
Yes, I was at Purdue when Waddell was there. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 2 Matts had an honest discussion 2 years ago when the offer was made, regarding the possibility of it not working out.

I don’t think it’s a guarantee at all that he’s here 3 more years…

I will be surprised to the max if CMP lands either. He likely would like the players, per contact, just doesn't know how to land them. Not good @ short term recruiting.

Although I think there are a few other like Ryan Langborg, mentioned above who could be an impact guy.

Yep, I could see a guy like Kennedy from Loyola coming. He’s actually not bad, was a bit disappointing this year but was a pretty good player for them in their tourney years.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Yes, I was at Purdue when Waddell was there. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 2 Matts had an honest discussion 2 years ago when the offer was made, regarding the possibility of it not working out.

I don’t think it’s a guarantee at all that he’s here 3 more years…
Agreed, guessing he’ll be here next year, if he wants the Purdue degree two more. Who knows, maybe he becomes a player that contributes, with him it might be a numbers game.

If we land a back-up, which I agree with you is most likely (unfortunately) I can only hope he can contribute more that Jenkins. I'm sure there are many on here that are tired of hearing it, but we need a huge jump from Smith and Loyer if we have any chance of a championship run. Not getting at least a significant contributor from the portal will be disappointing.

I’ll go ahead and say it, as much as I appreciate all Zach did this year and during his time, but our potential for a deep run in March will be limited because of him. A combo of TKR and Furst in the front court is better to deal with small ball lineups who want to pick up the pace and tempo.

Some people point to 0 Purdue guys in the portal as positive but is it? We got torched by a school who was in the tournament by a fluke situation. We need dudes who can ball and go get a basket and not be afraid. This off-season should be addition by subtraction.

I’ll go ahead and say it, as much as I appreciate all Zach did this year and during his time, but our potential for a deep run in March will be limited because of him. A combo of TKR and Furst in the front court is better to deal with small ball lineups who want to pick up the pace and tempo.

Some people point to 0 Purdue guys in the portal as positive but is it? We got torched by a school who was in the tournament by a fluke situation. We need dudes who can ball and go get a basket and not be afraid. This off-season should be addition by subtraction.
I can see the benefits of Zach during most mismatched teams. We did win the B1G, B1G tournament and beat Duke and Zags early. He's the biggest mismatch of any player in college basketball. I'm starting to think it was the utilization in the tournament or how we had him play defense. Yes, a TKR and Furst lineup is more fluid, but is that a mismatch?

Bring in Myles, Heide and another active, gritty PG that can score. That roster is a solid front runner to win it all. IMO

I do think playing exclusively through a big man handicaps Purdue in the tourney, but plenty of teams that dis well in the tournament have old school centers. Both SDSU and Creighton have traditional big men, and Gonzaga of course has Timme. Tennessee also played an inside out game, and may've been a FF team with a healthy Ziegler.
It's insane to think we get better next year without Edey. I just think Painter can do more to get the 4s involved as offensive threats, and not just run back cuts and grab rebounds.

I do think playing exclusively through a big man handicaps Purdue in the tourney, but plenty of teams that dis well in the tournament have old school centers. Both SDSU and Creighton have traditional big men, and Gonzaga of course has Timme. Tennessee also played an inside out game, and may've been a FF team with a healthy Ziegler.
It's insane to think we get better next year without Edey. I just think Painter can do more to get the 4s involved as offensive threats, and not just run back cuts and grab rebounds.
Better without Edey? What if we are a mid tier B1G team and get to the S16....is that really overall better? Zach gave plenty of passes to young men that were open and couldn't hit anything. Those teams you say had guards/wings that were hitting shots. Ours failed Zach more than Zach failed us.

Tennessee's Nkamhoua - A 6-foot-9 and 236 pounds, Nkamhoua emerged as one of the SEC’s best forwards

I also recognize that Zach has also been recognized as quite a player and wins all his 5 match ups and so even though that style isn’t my favorite, it was highly effective. While other teams are taking long 2s and hopeful to get a few buckets at the rim…Purdue always gets that. While other teams are driving the ball and provide more movement than Purdue, they end up taking harder shots typically and rarely get as many good looks behind the arc that Purdue does.

So, although the offense is stagnant with Zach to the eyes, his mere presence creates a LOT of good looks for a lot of players. Tall defenders that threaten a dig, but close enough to recover on a Purdue player may give that player hesitation, but is there reason why the Purdue player cannot drive the ball and score other than his own ability? Does the physical and skill limitations of the Purdue players make it hard for them to score…or does Zach make it hard for them to score? The 4s need to grow in the game to become more versatile on O and become threats

If we land a back-up, which I agree with you is most likely (unfortunately) I can only hope he can contribute more that Jenkins. I'm sure there are many on here that are tired of hearing it, but we need a huge jump from Smith and Loyer if we have any chance of a championship run. Not getting at least a significant contributor from the portal will be disappointing.
I know it won’t happen but I’d like to see Painter get 2 staring quality guards from the portal and make Smith and Loyer backups.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT