ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Targets for 2023-2024 Season

I can see the benefits of Zach during most mismatched teams. We did win the B1G, B1G tournament and beat Duke and Zags early. He's the biggest mismatch of any player in college basketball. I'm starting to think it was the utilization in the tournament or how we had him play defense. Yes, a TKR and Furst lineup is more fluid, but is that a mismatch?

Bring in Myles, Heide and another active, gritty PG that can score. That roster is a solid front runner to win it all. IMO
You’re leaving out a major piece of winning it all

I know it won’t happen but I’d like to see Painter get 2 staring quality guards from the portal and make Smith and Loyer backups.

Agree on Loyer. Great player, but Purdue will be better with a strong athletic 2. I hope Colvin is so good he is that guy.

Smith just needs a guy to help him minute wise, stay fresh. He is plenty athletic, shoots well and will make better decisions as he gets experience.

Perhaps Loyer becomes the back up at the 1 & 2 gets plenty of minutes.

I know it won’t happen but I’d like to see Painter get 2 staring quality guards from the portal and make Smith and Loyer backups.
I agree that it won’t happen, but isn’t out of the question to get one starter who can play with either Smith or Loyer and plays close to 30 minutes a game, split between the 1 and the 2. I also think that Smith and Loyer will be much better with another year of experience. It’s hard to say which of the two would come off of the bench as it depends on their improvement, but it might not matter if they play the same number of minutes.

Colvin might see time at the 2 as well as there will likely be a logjam at the 3.

You’re leaving out a major piece of winning it all
What's that?

No, I told you what took place all year. Then, when it counted our young fellas couldn't hit a shot. Zach was the biggest mismatch all year and it provided wins, the most efficient player and a top offensive efficiency team in the nation....plus player of the year.

I get we need more athletic players, but none of this was Zach's fault. Get more athletic guards/wings that have grit. Our young fellas took a soft approach to this game and weren't ready for the fight.

But, please tell me... your poor me thoughts.

Last edited:
What's that?

No, I told you what took place all year. Then, when it counted our young fellas couldn't hit a shot. Zach was the biggest mismatch all year and it provided wins, the most efficient player and a top offensive efficiency team in the nation....plus player of the year.

I get we need more athletic players, but none of this was Zach's fault. Get more athletic guards/wings that have grit. Our young fellas took a soft approach to this game and weren't ready for the fight.

But, please tell me... your poor me thoughts.
Welll, to begin and end with, Painter.

But, since you asked, players that want to drive and attack the rim can’t do that when you run the offense through the low post because your 5 is usually camped out in the lane attracting 2-3 defenders that clog the middle and take away the driving lanes.
Then, you rely on swinging the ball around the perimeter hunting for shots or another entry pass. And when you’re a poor outside shooting team, like Purdue.
So yeh, it’s fun seeing a 7 footer on the court but the reality is, that’s an antiquated offense that doesn’t work any longer and players that want to create and attack the rim won’t want to play in Painters offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: titaniumbolt
Welll, to begin and end with, Painter.

But, since you asked, players that want to drive and attack the rim can’t do that when you run the offense through the low post because your 5 is usually camped out in the lane attracting 2-3 defenders that clog the middle and take away the driving lanes.
Then, you rely on swinging the ball around the perimeter hunting for shots or another entry pass. And when you’re a poor outside shooting team, like Purdue.
So yeh, it’s fun seeing a 7 footer on the court but the reality is, that’s an antiquated offense that doesn’t work any longer and players that want to create and attack the rim won’t want to play in Painters offense.
Agree on the fluidity of the offense, but this can work with a 7' footer that can dominate like Zach. The problem was our guys were to soft and weren't offensive creator's. Could this change... possibly.

This has more to do with Painter not flexing his system? Or maybe because he knew we didn't have that type of athlete on the roster. To me this is on Painter(whom is a really good coach) than Zach. Zach last year to this year became a more fluid defender. The problem was our guards/wings never could stay in front of their man. So, it left Zach defending the drive, pass and/or shot. Our team let Zach down more than Zach let this team down.

On offense he created so many opportunities for the guards/wings and they benefited early in the year. Teams realized those guys were avg. Freshmen and they could get them to make mistakes and it worked. It was good coaching and Paint didn't change or adjust.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Tell us all who those 2 guys are so we can up our NIL contributions and point the alliance toward them. If NIL isn't there, we won't get either of the 2 great guards you want.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Agree on the fluidity of the offense, but this can work with a 7' footer that can dominate like Zach. The problem was our guys were to soft and weren't offensive creator's. Could this change... possibly.

This has more to do with Painter not flexing his system? Or maybe because he knew we didn't have that type of athlete on the roster. To me this is on Painter(whom is a really good coach) than Zach. Zach last year to this year became a more fluid defender. The problem was our guards/wings never could stay in front of their man. So, it left Zach defending the drive, pass and/or shot. Our team let Zach down more than Zach let this team down.

On offense he created so many opportunities for the guards/wings and they benefited early in the year. Teams realized those guys were avg. Freshmen and they could get them to make mistakes and it worked. It was good coaching and Paint didn't change or adjust.
I agree with everything you said, but Smith isn’t going to grow 5 inches and Loyer isn’t going to suddenly become quicker and more athletic so he can create his own shot. These are system players that are built around a low post offense centered around getting the ball to your 5. This is Painters entire offensive coaching philosophy.

Tell us all who those 2 guys are so we can up our NIL contributions and point the alliance toward them. If NIL isn't there, we won't get either of the 2 great guards you want.
Not my job to determine who those players are. But I do know who they’re not.

I agree with everything you said, but Smith isn’t going to grow 5 inches and Loyer isn’t going to suddenly become quicker and more athletic so he can create his own shot. These are system players that are built around a low post offense centered around getting the ball to your 5. This is Painters entire offensive coaching philosophy.
Who would have thought it. He has the player of the year and he actually gets the ball to him. What a terrible thing????

Reactions: Schnelk
Remember this babble, in the next few years, Smith and Loyer are going to make you like someone who has no idea of what he's talking about! Those two are going to be GOOD!

I’ll go ahead and say it, as much as I appreciate all Zach did this year and during his time, but our potential for a deep run in March will be limited because of him. A combo of TKR and Furst in the front court is better to deal with small ball lineups who want to pick up the pace and tempo.

Some people point to 0 Purdue guys in the portal as positive but is it? We got torched by a school who was in the tournament by a fluke situation. We need dudes who can ball and go get a basket and not be afraid. This off-season should be addition by subtraction.
Ok, we got beat, but let's not make it sound as if they were a defensive juggernaut and shot 65% from the field en route to a 20+ pt victory

Yes the turnovers were a product of some of the pressure but we missed wide-open shots.

We don't need a complete and total overhaul of a team that won nearly 30 games

Remember this babble, in the next few years, Smith and Loyer are going to make you like someone who has no idea of what he's talking about! Those two are going to be GOOD!
Smith definitely exceeded expectations this year. But, in 3 years, he’s still going to be a 5’11 point guard who struggles against longer athletes.
Loyer would be a good player off the bench to bust a zone or take advantage of a team giving up open looks, but he’ll never be a player who creates and gets his own shot against good D.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Ok, we got beat, but let's not make it sound as if they were a defensive juggernaut and shot 65% from the field en route to a 20+ pt victory

Yes the turnovers were a product of some of the pressure but we missed wide-open shots.

We don't need a complete and total overhaul of a team that won nearly 30 games
Problem is, it’s a trend under Painter., not an unusual occurrence.

Agree. Lack of any consistent scoring from guards killed Purdue. For a stats guy Painter sure ignored the numbers. Newman, Morton, Loyer, Jenkins and to a lesser degree Smith just couldn’t hit wide open shots. Add Furst to the list and too many minutes with players that can’t shoot.

I agree that it won’t happen, but isn’t out of the question to get one starter who can play with either Smith or Loyer and plays close to 30 minutes a game, split between the 1 and the 2. I also think that Smith and Loyer will be much better with another year of experience. It’s hard to say which of the two would come off of the bench as it depends on their improvement, but it might not matter if they play the same number of minutes.

Colvin might see time at the 2 as well as there will likely be a logjam at the 3.
Who is the log jam at the 3. Morton, Newman and Waddell?

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Jameer Nelson Jr to TCU
NOOO!

Purdue could have really used Nelson's ability to score at the rim along with his ball handling. With him plus another starting transfer, Purdue was a serious national champ contender. Without him it's much more difficult.

I guess Taran Armstrong is one of the last top transfer guards left that could be penciled in as starter.

The remaining guards regardless if PG,SG or CG would probably come off the bench.

Oh well...there's always 2025

Last edited:
Reactions: bonefish1
NOOO!

Purdue could have really used Nelson's ability to score at the rim along with his ball handling. With him plus another starting transfer, Purdue was a serious national champ contender. Without him it's much more difficult.

I guess Taran Armstrong is one of the last top transfer guards left that could be penciled in as starter.

The remaining guards regardless if PG,SG or CG would probably come off the bench.

Oh well...there's always 2025

Given his history, did you honestly believe CMP would land any of the better transfers?

I am sure he gets a transfer eventually, but you have to wait until all the aggressive coaches get their guy first. He always has been pretty far down the pecking order. Just seems to have no clue on the quick sell.......and also scared it will cause transfers of his own guys.

But to his credit he has shown some ability as a long term relationship recruiter though. Colvin, Catchings, Benter welcome aboard.

Just because you have a lot of guys at the three, doesn't mean there is a "log jam" . I'd give up Newman, Morton, Waddell and Heidi for 1 guy who could score 10 points a game and shoot 40% from 3.

And by the way, that's not really a big ask. Purdue's had someone like that for the last 10 years prior to this year. Sasha, Cline, Mathias, V Edwards. All these guys scored between 9 to 12 points per game and shot around 40% from 3. I don't see anyone on our roster who is capable of matching that except maybe Heidi, who none of us have seen play a college game.

I also recognize that Zach has also been recognized as quite a player and wins all his 5 match ups and so even though that style isn’t my favorite, it was highly effective. While other teams are taking long 2s and hopeful to get a few buckets at the rim…Purdue always gets that. While other teams are driving the ball and provide more movement than Purdue, they end up taking harder shots typically and rarely get as many good looks behind the arc that Purdue does.

So, although the offense is stagnant with Zach to the eyes, his mere presence creates a LOT of good looks for a lot of players. Tall defenders that threaten a dig, but close enough to recover on a Purdue player may give that player hesitation, but is there reason why the Purdue player cannot drive the ball and score other than his own ability? Does the physical and skill limitations of the Purdue players make it hard for them to score…or does Zach make it hard for them to score? The 4s need to grow in the game to become more versatile on O and become threats
Agree with you here. Does Purdue lose because they don't have guards that can get to the rim or is because the "shooters" can't shoot?

Here are Purdue's 3 point percentages in games they lost:
33.3%

We had 4 other B1G games in which we shot under 25% from 3 and we won those by an average pf 2.5 points.

With Zach around there is no mystery here. If you can shoot even a reasonable percentage from 3 you win, if you don't you're in trouble.

Agree with you here. Does Purdue lose because they don't have guards that can get to the rim or is because the "shooters" can't shoot?

33.3%

We had 4 other B1G games in which we shot under 25% from 3 and we won those by an average pf 2.5 points.

With Zach around there is no mystery here. If you can shoot even a reasonable percentage from 3 you win, if you don't you're in trouble.
That's why Zach obviously was/is so important. It's not necessarily playing through him. You have to have a good mix of perimeter shooters with slashers. This team proved it early in the season and it won a ton of games. You get a couple of guys that could equate their early season shooting....we go far in the tournament.

This team was broken from their own missed opportunities. Once they saw shots were not going in. They crumbled and that wasn't just freshmen, it was guys that weren't ready. That's on Paint and the coaching staff.

33.3%

It wasn't the guards that couldn't get to the rim...look at the 3 and 4 spots. Who at the 3 or 4 could take the ball to the basket as well as the 1 & 2? Shooting is another concern. I do NOT believe most players are destined to be poor shooters. I believe the shooting got worse as the season went on. I do NOT know that to be true and there are a LOT of reasons why it could be true...with many lying inside and outside the individual shooting. That is a whole another thread though. ;)

Reactions: Do Dah Day
LJ Cryer in the portal. Wanted to commit to Purdue but lost his spot to Ivey.

43% 3 pt shooter on 6 attempts a game. I sure hope this is Painter's top target.
Beat me to it. Said he wanted to be a Boilermaker before Ivey took his spot. Time to bring him home.

Max Abams from Oral Roberts is in the portal...Guy can score but takes a lot of shots

LJ Cryer in the portal. Wanted to commit to Purdue but lost his spot to Ivey.

43% 3 pt shooter on 6 attempts a game. I sure hope this is Painter's top target.

Anybody that can score consistently would be welcomed. Given CMP's history, I would be shocked if he added a top tier transfer. Even though many of them played in the S16 and above, not sure he gets it....or if he does, even has the ability to land a great transfer.

Who would have thought it. He has the player of the year and he actually gets the ball to him. What a terrible thing????
And where did the player of the year get us in the tourney?
And where did having a top 5 lottery pick get us last year?

Are you asking about LJ Cryer?

If so, he's this years Nijel Pack. If you watched any Baylor games you would want him immediately. 15ppg and can handle the ball. Physical guard that we don't currently have. He would start day 1.
Yeah Cryer. I noticed he's listed at 6-1 185 not a lot different from Loyer. So he's that physical guy everybody is clamoring for? I did not see any Baylor games this season so I'll have to take your viewpoint of it.
And if he's this year's Pack he won't last long so we better get our offer in asap.

Yeah Cryer. I noticed he's listed at 6-1 185 not a lot different from Loyer. So he's that physical guy everybody is clamoring for? I did not see any Baylor games this season so I'll have to take your viewpoint of it.
And if he's this year's Pack he won't last long so we better get our offer in asap.
Just google him. You'll see his stats and pictures of him. That body is nothing like Loyer. More of a Carsen Edwards body vs Loyer. Plus his stats were put up against some of the best guards in the country in the B12. 15ppg and 41% from 3 on 6 attempts per game. He will have his choice of schools, I only dream it will be PU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT