ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Targets for 2023-2024 Season

Not my job to determine who those players are. But I do know who they’re not.
Yes it is. With your level of coaching and player talent expertice, you must know who the players are. Just pay them and bring them into the fold. Stop relying on other people for your happiness.

Agree on Loyer. Great player, but Purdue will be better with a strong athletic 2. I hope Colvin is so good he is that guy.

Smith just needs a guy to help him minute wise, stay fresh. He is plenty athletic, shoots well and will make better decisions as he gets experience.

Perhaps Loyer becomes the back up at the 1 & 2 gets plenty of minutes.
Naw... Boney already told us Smith is so unathletic that he can't even dunk the ball. And he's not a 5-star, so he's not worthy of a Purdue scholarship. lol

Naw... Boney already told us Smith is so unathletic that he can't even dunk the ball. And he's not a 5-star, so he's not worthy of a Purdue scholarship. lol
Smith is good I guess but he also had a horrible performance against a #16 seed team.

7 turnovers negative plus minus and getting blocked by 5'9 players over and over again

So yes he's Power 5 quality but he also blew it in the greatest upset of all time so how good is he really

Reactions: bonefish1
Smith is good I guess but he also had a horrible performance against a #16 seed team.

7 turnovers negative plus minus and getting blocked by 5'9 players over and over again

So yes he's Power 5 quality but he also blew it in the greatest upset of all time so how good is he really

Lol you guys are awesome.

Dude doesn't have an off-season because he was in a boot, looks really good in Portland against 3 tournament teams, gets the shit kicked out of him in the B1G season because the B1G is retarded. Still has arguably the best season for a PG under Matt Painter averaging 10/4/4 shooting almost 40% from 3 and 90% from the stripe. Then after 23 games against B1G teams, has probably his worst game of the season after being on the All-B1G freshman team... but he might not be good.

Both he and Loyer will be much better prepared next season, physically, for the B1G. The guard play that increasingly became an issue as the season wore on... gee I wonder?.. won't be close to the same issue next year. This is why freshman guards don't win in March, most aren't able to physically handle a full season.

Dude doesn't have an off-season because he was in a boot, looks really good in Portland against 3 tournament teams, gets the shit kicked out of him in the B1G season because the B1G is retarded. Still has arguably the best season for a PG under Matt Painter averaging 10/4/4 shooting almost 40% from 3 and 90% from the stripe. Then after 23 games against B1G teams, has probably his worst game of the season after being on the All-B1G freshman team... but he might not be good.

Both he and Loyer will be much better prepared next season, physically, for the B1G. The guard play that increasingly became an issue as the season wore on... gee I wonder?.. won't be close to the same issue next year. This is why freshman guards don't win in March, most aren't able to physically handle a full season.

Agree, Smith is the best Purdue pg since LewJack. He had a few bad games this year. He had far more great ones. But incredibly athletic, has a nose for the ball, goes after rebounds, has good instincts. I love how he wants to push the ball up the floor. Just needs a guy to keep him fresh.

Loyer is just is too frail now. Not sure there is enough strength training in 1 year to help him finish in the lane? Maybe after a couple years as 6-4 & 185 is pretty lean. Long way to go there.

Agree, Smith is the best Purdue pg since LewJack. He had a few bad games this year. He had far more great ones. But incredibly athletic, has a nose for the ball, goes after rebounds, has good instincts. I love how he wants to push the ball up the floor. Just needs a guy to keep him fresh.

Loyer is just is too frail now. Not sure there is enough strength training in 1 year to help him finish in the lane? Maybe after a couple years as 6-4 & 185 is pretty lean. Long way to go there.
Umm ever heard of steroids? Seriously, I have always questioned our strength training especially when I see our guys against other programs.

• Haha
Reactions: Boiler Buck
Watc
Yes it is. With your level of coaching and player talent expertice, you must know who the players are. Just pay them and bring them into the fold. Stop relying on other people for your happiness.
Listening to you cry provides me plenty of enjoyment

I’d be very much in favor of recruiting over Smith if Painter can find a 6’4 ball handler who can get their own shot. You’ll just have to pay for him in the portal.

I like Loyer but he’s not going to have some magical transformation into a high end athlete. I think he’ll be very much similar to Sasha where he’ll need help getting open but will hopefully hit those open shots in the future.

Reactions: GemstateBoiler
I think Smith and Loyer both have that heightened internal, competitive drive to make themselves better next year, dwelling on their shortcomings. I guess you can say that about all Freshmen, but the crush slap of the last game will not go away for awhile. Fans feel it, so players must feel it much more, like everyday until next season.

Reactions: Schnelk
Looks like Cryer wants to stay in the Big 12, so cross him off the list.

I think Smith and Loyer both have that heightened internal, competitive drive to make themselves better next year, dwelling on their shortcomings. I guess you can say that about all Freshmen, but the crush slap of the last game will not go away for awhile. Fans feel it, so players must feel it much more, like everyday until next season.
Guys don't become more athletic or quicker. The game might slow down for them and they have better recognition, but they're still going to athletically challenged until they're 80 years old.

Reactions: GemstateBoiler
Guys don't become more athletic or quicker. The game might slow down for them and they have better recognition, but they're still going to athletically challenged until they're 80 years old.
I agree somewhat. I think they can get stronger with more stamina with the right conditioning program. I was thinking more about shooting and decision-making though.

I agree that they will be challenged as they near 80, but teens and low twenties can become more athletic from drills and conditioning.

I agree that they will be challenged as they near 80, but teens and low twenties can become more athletic from drills and conditioning.
I think marginally, yes, very marginally. It's like a football RB or WR who runs a 4.6 40 as a Sr in high school. With all the work/training, etc, he does in a big time program, he might shave a .10 off that time in college. But he's not going from 4.6 to 4.3 (maybe in very rare circumstances).
You either have athleticism or you don't. Look at Morton....

I think marginally, yes, very marginally. It's like a football RB or WR who runs a 4.6 40 as a Sr in high school. With all the work/training, etc, he does in a big time program, he might shave a .10 off that time in college. But he's not going from 4.6 to 4.3 (maybe in very rare circumstances).
You either have athleticism or you don't. Look at Morton....
Look at TKR. I expect him to come back next year at a lower weight and be more athletic.

What do you think strength training improves? Just strength??
you both are right. Teams wouldn't be using strength training if it were not improving more than just strength. That said, genetics has a limiting factor where you can only gain so much which differs from each person. The desire is to get the sweet spot where you are good enough athletically and yet skillful as well...and then there is court savvy the is the spice to both. Not enough in one or the other and the limitations increase.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I said it a year ago when the Pack bombshell hit: we need to go big or go home.

If we’re not able to compete financially against freaking Miami…
Purdue University can not be an official part of NIL..it must be 3rd party money and in theory can't be used to recruit players....Purdue doesn't have the individual financial partners to match the extreme high roller that many other programs employ....In football USC got Jordan Addison from Pitt for 3 million....he is a 1st round WR...not fair but it is the NCAA TODAY

Purdue University can not be an official part of NIL..it must be 3rd party money and in theory can't be used to recruit players....Purdue doesn't have the individual financial partners to match the extreme high roller that many other programs employ....In football USC got Jordan Addison from Pitt for 3 million....he is a 1st round WR...not fair but it is the NCAA TODAY
I understand. But there can be unofficial “coordination” between various parties involved.

Reactions: bonefish1
I do read there is a PG just in the system who is truly a PG , has played at bigtime level and would be better than Smith. Nemhardt(sp?) from Creighton has entered transfer pool according to twitter, but rumored to be going to Arizona. He is the real deal, if you watched the NCAA tourney. I am sure he will get big time $$$.

The second one is sophomore year Crejghtpn guard, his freshman numbers not as good

The first set of stats…….Mr Smith …..freshman

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT