ADVERTISEMENT

How Painter stays

One of many factors, yes. When he’s recruiting top talent in state and competing against Izzo/Painter, he can share his experiences playing in the league and what it took to not only get there but stay for a while.
interesting take as none of the kids were probably born when he was playing

Reactions: Schnelk
Brandon dunks with ease at "maybe" 6'.
That's elite. LewJack (one of my all time favs) didn't dunk more than a couple of times during his career, but mostly because his foot problems.
He was never, ever 100% and played hurt ALL the time. One of the toughest kids ever.
Jaden Ivey dunks with ease. Zach edey dunks with ease. Braden smith does not dunk with ease during games. His zero dunks last year support that. Even Sasha had a couple while at Purdue.

Yes.....in the old days, Ricky Hall would give them a run.
Willie Deane and Ronnie Johnson were really fast with the ball, as well.

I know that Ronnie came with way too much baggage, but he sure could go coast to coast in a hurry. Still, his speed was a lot more impressive than his lateral quickness and he wasn’t half the defender that LewJack was.

Agree with this. But those that do should see the value in newcomers Jones, Heide & Colvin. Although some think Smith isn't athletic, I guess his rebounding shows me he sure is. So that is 4 guys on next year's team. None of them freakishly athletic......but hopefully this team has enough athleticism to make a difference. Still I think 1 great guard away from a NC....but perhaps an E8 team, maybe with breaks the first Painter FF team??
I read a lot of concerns on the 1&2, but were the 1&2 less productive than the 3&4?

I read a lot of concerns on the 1&2, but were the 1&2 less productive than the 3&4?

In the end everyone had us figured out. And that lowered productivity of all.

The 4 is what surprises me given both a Mr BBall & a GPOTY reside there. It amazes me that is not one of our very consistent production points.

Reactions: tjreese
In the end everyone had us figured out. And that lowered productivity of all.

The 4 is what surprises me given both a Mr BBall & a GPOTY reside there. It amazes me that is not one of our very consistent production points.
Yes, but Purdue got very little out of the 3 as well. So without looking at stats and trying to ignore what might be expected out of the 4…was the 3&4 less productive than the 1&2? I ask this to everyone since some have a lot of concern for the 1&2 and rarely see comments of the 3&4 being a concern LAST year

Jaden Ivey dunks with ease. Zach edey dunks with ease. Braden smith does not dunk with ease during games. His zero dunks last year support that. Even Sasha had a couple while at Purdue.
You are truly clueless. Congratulations on your non contribution to the stupidest thread on the internet.

Reactions: mathboy
You are truly clueless. Congratulations on your non contribution to the stupidest thread on the internet.
Couldn’t dispute what I said so you resort to personal attacks. Typical. It’s interesting you say I don’t contribute when literally all of your posts are telling other people how stupid and wrong they are. You contribute absolute nothing other than toxicity.

Last edited:
Spot on. Besides having the best 5 in college basketball, the backcourt is the strength of the team going into the season. There is plenty of talent at the 3 and 4, but a lot of question marks as well.

Spot on. Besides having the best 5 in college basketball, the backcourt is the strength of the team going into the season. There is plenty of talent at the 3 and 4, but a lot of question marks as well.
I think the 3 has the skill set to be an improvement, but I need the 4 to show some face up game...an ability to put it on the floor adequately and score facing the basket instead of only post up moves or in Caleb's place...in addition to running the court. I'm hopeful that the 4 increases their skills this year...and trey drop a few pounds to make him a bit quicker

Reactions: northside100
Yes, but Purdue got very little out of the 3 as well. So without looking at stats and trying to ignore what might be expected out of the 4…was the 3&4 less productive than the 1&2? I ask this to everyone since some have a lot of concern for the 1&2 and rarely see comments of the 3&4 being a concern LAST year

Well with Morton @ the 3, the 3 might have been the least offensive in the country. Newman not much better. So yes not looking at stats but perhaps the 3&4 were worst than 1&2 last year.... maybe by alot??

played in the nba scares you?
Isaiah Thomas, Patrick Ewing and such say hello. Bill Russell had his own help & veteran savvy teammates. Phil Jackson was an NBA role player who paired talent & egos -- Shaq & Kobe, Jordan & Pippin ... U-M alum Juwan Howard has big bucks, a tradition & name behind him. Knife cuts a lot of ways.

Moderate to unsuccessful pro coaches rarely do well in the college game. Trying to impress any of us by saying Woodson was an NBA coach isn’t going to do much. College coaching involves significantly different skills. You may as well use Woodson’s shoe size as an indicator of how he will do. He is now short real college coaching support with both Beilein and the other weasel leaving. Frankly, I don’t expect much from IU this year.
:cool:

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Moderate to unsuccessful pro coaches rarely do well in the college game. Trying to impress any of us by saying Woodson was an NBA coach isn’t going to do much. College coaching involves significantly different skills. You may as well use Woodson’s shoe size as an indicator of how he will do. He is now short real college coaching support with both Beilein and the other weasel leaving. Frankly, I don’t expect much from IU this year.
:cool:

What? Oh, another simpleton. Let me help.

Cal, Pittino, Larry Brown, Huebert Davis and even Juan Howard (E8 in 4 years) (off top of my head) have had the same and more success in NCAA than Matt, and Matt has 19 years at the same school. I forgot mentioning anything IU triggers everyone because our fanbase is so sensitive and defensive.

Instead, let’s not hold our own coach accountable for the 43 year drought. Instead, we make up false achievements when all that matters is the NCAA at this point. A 43 year old plateau would make most fan bases want more.

It’s no surprise we can’t out recruit UM, MSU, IL, and IU. Next, Shrews will steal some of our kids from our own backyard. Just wait. It’s coming. Don’t forget Matt went 5-7 down the stretch (outside of the B10T). It’s not like we progressed last year. We caught lightening in a bottle and escaped Marquette at home, beat non coach K Duke team and beat a down Gonzaga team. We road that momentum til Feb, then it all went on a downhill slide. Just lucky we play in a suck B10.

If you expect different results than our past with Matt, I wish you all the best with that insanity. I prefer to expect more. Unfortunately, people on this board would rather be triggered by IU related items than the failures of Matt. The playbook is always deflect and hide head in sand when it comes to backing Paint.

Reactions: bonefish1
What? Oh, another simpleton. Let me help.

Cal, Pittino, Larry Brown, Huebert Davis and even Juan Howard (E8 in 4 years) (off top of my head) have had the same and more success in NCAA than Matt, and Matt has 19 years at the same school. I forgot mentioning anything IU triggers everyone because our fanbase is so sensitive and defensive.

Instead, let’s not hold our own coach accountable for the 43 year drought. Instead, we make up false achievements when all that matters is the NCAA at this point. A 43 year old plateau would make most fan bases want more.

It’s no surprise we can’t out recruit UM, MSU, IL, and IU. Next, Shrews will steal some of our kids from our own backyard. Just wait. It’s coming. Don’t forget Matt went 5-7 down the stretch (outside of the B10T). It’s not like we progressed last year. We caught lightening in a bottle and escaped Marquette at home, beat non coach K Duke team and beat a down Gonzaga team. We road that momentum til Feb, then it all went on a downhill slide. Just lucky we play in a suck B10.

If you expect different results than our past with Matt, I wish you all the best with that insanity. I prefer to expect more. Unfortunately, people on this board would rather be triggered by IU related items than the failures of Matt. The playbook is always deflect and hide head in sand when it comes to backing Paint.
Almost all your examples of successful pro-to-college coaches coached in college first, and were successful in college before moving onto a pro career. I think you missed my point. Coaches that go directly from the pros to college struggle. Most are fired within 4 years or so.

Furthermore the fact that you included Juan Howard in your list of "successful" college coaches coming directly from the pro ranks kind of illustrates how shaky argument is. Two top 15 draft choices and an All American center and he couldn't get out of his own way.

True for sure ....but Lew Jack, Grant, Kramer, Octeus, Cline, T. Johnson, R. Smith, K. Barlow, R. Davis, PJT were all quality guards that any team would have been glad to have. So it's not like we have had scrubs there just because they were not 3rd team or above, like Carsen, Ivey & Moore were.

I think eventually with experience, Smith & Loyer might make 3rd team+. And I am happy with the speed and athleticism Jones adds.
Ryne Smith and PJ Thompson are not the types of guards you need to win in March.

Nice role players? Sure. But the answer is not more Ryne Smiths and PJ Thompsons.

Almost all your examples of successful pro-to-college coaches coached in college first, and were successful in college before moving onto a pro career. I think you missed my point. Coaches that go directly from the pros to college struggle. Most are fired within 4 years or so.

Furthermore the fact that you included Juan Howard in your list of "successful" college coaches coming directly from the pro ranks kind of illustrates how shaky argument is. Two top 15 draft choices and an All American center and he couldn't get out of his own way.
Lost all three -- his son, Bufkin and Dickerson -- to the League or portal, capping an 18-16 season & no Dance bid, plus transfer decommit Caleb Love to replace them but snared U.S, #17-ranked guard HS guard George Washington III out of Dayton. Can he still interest Nojel Eastern?

So Howard can’t miss an NCAA dance after 4 years? Despite losing a ton of talent from the year before and his guards were injured most of the season. He’s still been to an E-8 after 4 years.

Matt in years 8 & 9 missed the NCAA. What was Matt’s excuse? Took Matt 14 years to finally achieve an E-8. Give Juan 10 more years, and there is a chance he has a F4 or 2. Why was Matt not ridiculed for missing the dance back to back years, almost 10 years in. My guess, it will happen again under Matt’s lead and deflections and excuses will be made here per par.

Ryne Smith and PJ Thompson are not the types of guards you need to win in March.

Nice role players? Sure. But the answer is not more Ryne Smiths and PJ Thompsons.

Either of them on last year's team & we advance. Both were solid shooters when open.

But true we still need more athletic guards to get to E8 and beyond. Hopefully, Heide, Colvin & Jones provide that.

Well with Morton @ the 3, the 3 might have been the least offensive in the country. Newman not much better. So yes not looking at stats but perhaps the 3&4 were worst than 1&2 last year.... maybe by alot??
Well, I don't know how much is a lot, but do think the 3&4 were not as productive as the 1&2. I look for 1,2,3 & 4 to improve this year. I believe the 3 spot will offer some scoring versatility and provide a threat running the court, shooting and driving the ball. I hope to see improvement in the same versatility for the 4

Neither Smith or PJ would have helped as a true freshman. Smith and Loyer were much better at the same stage.

Never said a true frosh. But you know an upper class version of the so called "meh" guards I listed would have.

Either way irrelevant. Just conjunction.

Next year we have an athletic upgrade @ 3 & 1 backup & more experienced 1,2,&4 we will see if that works?

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Well, I don't know how much is a lot, but do think the 3&4 were not as productive as the 1&2. I look for 1,2,3 & 4 to improve this year. I believe the 3 spot will offer some scoring versatility and provide a threat running the court, shooting and driving the ball. I hope to see improvement in the same versatility for the 4
If we get more scoring from the 3, that will certainly help our 4 position....furst, Gillis, and renn are not bucket getters but play off other players well....rebounding, spot up shooting, posting....our 3's need to be more of a triple threat...I'm hoping heide and Colvin really help there....Morton is a good defender but can't finish around the rim and has a poor shooting stroke...as we found out in the tourney, that really stagnated our offense...not worried really about Smith, loyer, jones...and hopeful about the new wings...that position should transform our already really good team into something great...

Reactions: tjreese
So Howard can’t miss an NCAA dance after 4 years? Despite losing a ton of talent from the year before and his guards were injured most of the season. He’s still been to an E-8 after 4 years.

Matt in years 8 & 9 missed the NCAA. What was Matt’s excuse? Took Matt 14 years to finally achieve an E-8. Give Juan 10 more years, and there is a chance he has a F4 or 2. Why was Matt not ridiculed for missing the dance back to back years, almost 10 years in. My guess, it will happen again under Matt’s lead and deflections and excuses will be made here per par.
Juwan is expected to have a drop-off this year which would make 2 straight years of missing the tourney....Woodson will struggle too...iu was supposed to win the big ten last year and that didn't happen....so we've seen how Woodson struggles to coach...with the massive losses they had and poorly constructed roster, iu will most likely not make the tourney.....they better hope they reel in a top 5 class the next year or they may miss the tourney twice in a row...that's archie Miller territory....

If we get more scoring from the 3, that will certainly help our 4 position....furst, Gillis, and renn are not bucket getters but play off other players well....rebounding, spot up shooting, posting....our 3's need to be more of a triple threat...I'm hoping heide and Colvin really help there....Morton is a good defender but can't finish around the rim and has a poor shooting stroke...as we found out in the tourney, that really stagnated our offense...not worried really about Smith, loyer, jones...and hopeful about the new wings...that position should transform our already really good team into something great...
Yeah, I think the 3 will be okay. That said, the 4 needs to improve. Sure ,if four players are a threat to score...it helps the remaining person...or 4. However, every player should improve every year and the 4 needs to improve enough to be more versatile in scoring. Then, you have an even better team...and we know the potential in Caleb/Trey and Mason is there...although Mason is closer to a finished product. Mason can improve and has a bit last year putting the ball on the court..

Reactions: northside100
Couldn’t dispute what I said so you resort to personal attacks. Typical. It’s interesting you say I don’t contribute when literally all of your posts are telling other people how stupid and wrong they are. You contribute absolute nothing other than toxicity.
only to fans of other teams that are so f'ing lame that they live their weblife on their opponents board. If that applies to you then you will get pissed off. Kind of the intent ;)

Last edited:
I think the 3 has the skill set to be an improvement, but I need the 4 to show some face up game...an ability to put it on the floor adequately and score facing the basket instead of only post up moves or in Caleb's place...in addition to running the court. I'm hopeful that the 4 increases their skills this year...and trey drop a few pounds to make him a bit quicker

agree AND be more consistent from long-range when needed. The potential is there, but that was a huge disappointment down the stretch (among others).....seems like all the water was shut off after Mason Gillis' record-breaking game against Penn State.

agree AND be more consistent from long-range when needed. The potential is there, but that was a huge disappointment down the stretch (among others).....seems like all the water was shut off after Mason Gillis' record-breaking game against Penn State.
It did feel like Mason lost his confidence against FDU. He was being left almost unguarded and it seemed like it got in his head. I don’t want to put this on one player because there was plenty of blame to go around, but had he been able to just relax and shoot like he is capable of, I think that would have made the difference. When he is shooting confidently from 3, he’s a very effective player at the 4.

Furst also seemed to lose confidence, particularly in his shot, as the season progressed. I feel like he has all the tools to be a great compliment to Edey, but I feel like he just has to believe in himself.

TKR is clearly talented as well, but I am hopeful that he can develop more of a perimeter game to complement his post game. It’s hard to say who has more upside between him and Furst, but I would love to see either one of them step up at the 4 to give Purdue the best 4/5 combo in college basketball.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
When the team heads to Europe I'm hoping we can see a difference in TKR and his weight. Hopefully he has been trying to lose some weight since April and it will show next month. For sure he needs to be leaner by November. Those slow, heavy legs aren't going to cut it.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
It would be great if the 4 was accurate from behind the arc. However, if the 2 & 3 are a threat and I look for Braden to look to score a bit more...it won't be as important. I think you need at a minimum 2 threats and prefer 3 behind the arc. IMO you really want the 2 & 3 to be the main threat and then the 1 & 4 to keep the D honest, but if the 4 provides what I expect the 2 and 3 to provide...Purdue should be in great shape.

Purdue needs to win early and work out some kinks in the sets or motion, but ever so slightly behind that is the players being in tough spots to show them what they need to work on and so I hope Matt balances out improving as a team...with enough freedom and encouragement for that freedom to show the players where they are individually as well...but you still have to win as the first goal...AND improve as a team which seems a bit contradictory to individual growth. Being down there in Texas it is holding the reins with your left (off) hand and lassoing the individual when needed with your strong hand...all the while careful not to hold the reins too tight to create tender mouth. ;)

If you like Howard, you can keep him. I prefer Painter. Nothing like fist fighting and slapping opposing coaches to tell the world how classy and superior you are, eh? He‘s all yours, 89. I think you are in for a real treat next year.

:cool:.

Cal, Pittino, Larry Brown, Huebert Davis and even Juan Howard (E8 in 4 years) (off top of my head) have had the same and more success in NCAA than Matt, and Matt has 19 years at the same school.
Incredibly ignorant paragraph. OP said that mediocre NBA coaches tend not be successful in college. You responded with five examples none of which are remotely relevant. Cal and Rick were both big time college coaches before moving to the NBA. Larry Brown was very successful in both leagues. Davis and Howard walked into elite jobs, and the jury is still out on both.

If you like Howard, you can keep him. I prefer Painter. Nothing like fist fighting and slapping opposing coaches to tell the world how classy and superior you are, eh? He‘s all yours, 89. I think you are in for a real treat next year.

:cool:.
Aside from the behavioral stuff, Michigan has every resource you could ask for and is considered a borderline elite job and by any objective measure Howard has just been OK there.

There’s a chance that JaJuan gets things back on track and the reality is he should, but there’s also significant chance that he is encouraged to head back to the NBA in the next couple of seasons. Fans who think that success at Purdue should look the same at success of Michigan are delusional, which is probably why they’re so ****ing miserable.

When the team heads to Europe I'm hoping we can see a difference in TKR and his weight. Hopefully he has been trying to lose some weight since April and it will show next month. For sure he needs to be leaner by November. Those slow, heavy legs aren't going to cut it.
I agree and disagree here. If Painter's ultimate plan is for him to play in the post and back up Edey, having a strong base isn't a bad thing, I could see him taking over the role post role next year as well. He's pretty effective at backing down guys n the post. I could see him being a double digit scorer in the post if he started.

Prior to last year, I thought he would be more athletic and be able to play out on the floor more. I just don't see it unless he transforms his body.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT