ADVERTISEMENT

How Painter stays

dumpsterFyre

Senior
Aug 17, 2012
I dont believe an impulsive firing of CMP is appropriate, but his seat is red hot and performance must be scrutinized over the next season. I would release him if we don't see progress mid season. Here's how he keeps his job:

1. Convince Zach to return next season. Period.

2. Stop hampering his development and let him shoot a mid range jumper from time to time.

3. Implement a zone alternative on defense.

4. Implement a second small-ball offensive look that can win the transition game.

5. For the love of God hire a Press Breaker consultant. Take responsibility for your failure in this area.

6. Secure a top scoring grad transfer(s). Release existing players as needed.

7. Make sure Berg develops an outside game like the Euro big man he is.

8. Recruit a pure PG in the 2023 class.

9. Stay in contention for Big Regular Season Title.

10. E8 or bye bye.

Did I miss anything?

I dont believe an impulsive firing of CMP is appropriate, but his seat is red hot and performance must be scrutinized over the next season. I would release him if we don't see progress mid season. Here's how he keeps his job:

2. Stop hampering his development and let him shoot a mid range jumper from time to time.

4. Implement a second small-ball offensive look that can win the transition game.

5. For the love of God hire a Press Breaker consultant. Take responsibility for your failure in this area.

10. E8 or bye bye.

Did I miss anything?
Very well put 👏 but number 1 is a problem , I think he gone...

Reactions: dumpsterFyre

10. E8 or bye bye.

Did I miss anything?

Pipe dream.
CMP isn't going anywhere. I would imagine him here next 7-10 years.

Just curious but why do you think that?

Why would I not think that?

He has given NO indication to think otherwise.

He turned down job to stay here and his school. He will likely coach until he decides not to and one of his assistants will be the next guy.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
Purdue won't fire Painter...They have never been aggressive with fire/hires with the sport teams...The only way he leaves if some other school comes at him with a ton of money

Why would I not think that?

He has given NO indication to think otherwise.

He turned down job to stay here and his school. He will likely coach until he decides not to and one of his assistants will be the next guy.
You don’t think the athletic department will feel the heat from the national media and donors pulling their money? I thought that was business 101 (hence why people get cancelled / silenced now)

Have you seen some of the articles the national news outlets have written about our program in the last 24 hours or so? (USA today for example)

I saw an online petition going around calling for his firing, i feel that is a good enough clue, don’t you?

You don’t think the athletic department will feel the heat from the national media and donors pulling their money? I thought that was business 101 (hence why people get cancelled / silenced now)

Have you seen some of the articles the national news outlets have written about our program in the last 24 hours or so? (USA today for example)

I saw an online petition going around calling for his firing, i feel that is a good enough clue, don’t you?

Idiot fans can do/say what they want. Meaningless.

Press. Ha, they are just columum fillers. They will find a new story in a day or two. Meaningless.

Your donor theory has some merit. Do you know hundreds of donors pulling their money? Do you know mega donors pulling their $. I doubt it....but I guess it is possible?

Idiot fans can do/say what they want. Meaningless.

Your donor theory has some merit. Do you know hundreds of donors pulling their money? Do you know mega donors pulling their $. I doubt it....but I guess it is possible?
I don’t think it’s fair to call fans idiots just for being unhappy for the lack of performance come March.

It’s been almost two decades of mediocrity. We had a window when IU had that cheating scandal with Sampson but somehow they still attract noticeably superior (raw) talent compared to us as a program.

Why is that? Our academics are superior, we are closer to Chicago, and our facilities (IIRC but I could be wrong) are now better.

Why aren’t recruits coming here?

I don’t think it’s fair to call fans idiots just for being unhappy for the lack of performance come March.

It’s been almost two decades of mediocrity. We had a window when IU had that cheating scandal with Sampson but somehow they still attract noticeably superior (raw) talent compared to us as a program.

Why is that? Our academics are superior, we are closer to Chicago, and our facilities (IIRC but I could be wrong) are now better.

Painter.

I am very happy with the 23 & 24 class. If you are not, perhaps you should look into it more. Recruits are coming here & have been for awhile. We are in on 4 quality players to fill the last spot... hopefully Harris. But if not it will be a good one.

We have several Mr Bball and runner-ups on the roster now. Add to that Colvin & Catchings. & Benter I believe another B10 championship is coming. Apparently,that is meaningless to many of you, but I am proud of Purdue and their championships.

10. E8 or bye bye.

Did I miss anything?
TLDR.

NIL. Portal. That’s all.

10. E8 or bye bye.

Did I miss anything?

10. E8 or bye bye.

Did I miss anything?
Yep,
Matt stays if he WANTS to. He has earned that, does not need any ultimatums. He will adjust.

Reactions: GregJM24
I am very happy with the 23 & 24 class. If you are not, perhaps you should look into it more. Recruits are coming here & have been for awhile. We are in on 4 quality players to fill the last spot... hopefully Harris. But if not it will be a good one.

We have several Mr Bball and runner-ups on the roster now. Add to that Colvin & Catchings. & Benter I believe another B10 championship is coming. Apparently,that is meaningless to many of you, but I am proud of Purdue and their championships.
This is a trend. It's always that future class and how awesome it will be. They will always be great. Sounds like a Trump speech. LOL.

Purdue won't fire Painter...They have never been aggressive with fire/hires with the sport teams...The only way he leaves if some other school comes at him with a ton of money
Which could happen, he is very well thought of nationally, even though most on here think otherwise.

I would say we end up with our third or fourth choice.

Outside of swanigan when was the last time we won an actual recruiting battle?

I would guess probably less times than even the rate our prior commits… decommit (DGL from very recent memory for example)

I would guess probably less times than even the rate our prior commits… decommit (DGL from very recent memory for example)
Seriously? Don't follow recruiting? Furst was a high priority for MSU and IU. TKR was down to North Carolina, IU, and Purdue.

Reactions: AAE09

You are greatly misinformed.

Seriously? Don't follow recruiting? Furst was a high priority for MSU and IU. TKR was down to North Carolina, IU, and Purdue.

Hmm, I would go on about how they probably chose Purdue due to perceived lack of playing time at a program like UNC or MSU but won’t open that can of worms. (Would furst or renn see major playing time for any of those programs today?)

I will say this though: were they “high profile” grabs?

Were they, for example, players of the calibers below?

Chasson Randle
Gary Harris
Glen Robinson III
Cody Zeller
Tyler Zeller
Branden Dawson
Kyle Guy

Who wants to flame out in the tourney? That’s why…

Oh really? Okay, then please inform us.

Oh really? Okay, then please inform us.

Furst for example.. .
Offers from MSU, VA, Butler, Cal.

TKR....
Offers from NC, iu & several others.

Morton....
Purdue, iu Stnaford & Butler

I could go on but your argument is without merit. Thus, Google is your friend...start by looking up Ivey, Catchings, Benter, Colvin, Loyer, Williams just to name a few. All had other schools interested.

Sure CMP has missed out on some players....but with the players he has brought in he had been competitive almost every year and won 4 B10 titles & 2 B10 tourney titles. That is tremendous.

Reactions: Schnelk
Furst for example.. .

TKR....

Morton....

I could go on but your argument is without merit. Thus, Google is your friend...start by looking up Ivey, Catchings, Benter, Colvin, Loyer, Williams just to name a few. All had other schools interested.

Sure CMP has missed out on some players....but with the players he has brought in he had been competitive almost every year and won 4 B10 titles & 2 B10 tourney titles. That is tremendous.
I’m talking about top recruits (ie Gary Harris, Swanigan (only recruiting real recruiting win), Mitch McGary, chasson randle, seller just to name a few)

Hmm, I would go on about how they probably chose Purdue due to perceived lack of playing time at a program like UNC or MSU but won’t open that can of worms. (Would furst or renn see major playing time for any of those programs today?)

I will say this though: were they “high profile” grabs?

Were they, for example, players of the calibers below?

Chasson Randle
Gary Harris
Glen Robinson III
Cody Zeller
Tyler Zeller
Branden Dawson
Kyle Guy
MSU, IU, and UNC thought so. But yes, you could go on and make more uninformed comments.

I doubt all those guys sign. They want to win in March, Not feed the post and stand around the perimeter.
The 80s style of basketball doesn’t win in March.

Furst for example.. .

TKR....

Morton....

Painter is not a good recruiter. Look at his class rankings.

Reactions: clankhan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT