ADVERTISEMENT

Sasha Didn't Lose this Game

But if Painter doesn't make changes with him and IT in the tournament, don't expect any different results.

1-8 from the field today

Terrible stats the last few games.

Getting abused on D.
Painters problem is he doesn’t make changes. anyone that watches Purdue can tell you who’s coming in the game at what time. It’s the same every game no matter how they play. Never plays zone and rotation at same time every game. We might as well have a robo coach on the sidelines.

This season feels like a slow motion train wreck, but the team is 27-7, and is underrated at #9. It's just that they're so much more capable than they have shown. Better PG play (really just taking care of the damn ball) would have gone a long way with this team.

I know they're all giving it everything, so it's not a matter of effort. It's just a matter of playing smarter and not trying to do too much.

Thing is Hunter can't play the whole game, so IT has to at least play some. SS I agree needs to play less unless he gets hot, but rarely does he stay hot.

Our offense is really struggling right now as a while any way you look at it.

Painters problem is he doesn’t make changes. anyone that watches Purdue can tell you who’s coming in the game at what time. It’s the same every game no matter how they play. Never plays zone and rotation at same time every game. We might as well have a robo coach on the sidelines.
You could have a drinking game on who is coming in and out, its pretty easy to determine, its what he wants to do but not about what is going on in the game usually.

This season feels like a slow motion train wreck, but the team is 27-7, and is underrated at #9. It's just that they're so much more capable than they have shown. Better PG play (really just taking care of the damn ball) would have gone a long way with this team.

I know they're all giving it everything, so it's not a matter of effort. It's just a matter of playing smarter and not trying to do too much.

A high ceiling but a lower floor because of the lack of consistent disciplined play.....saw it the entire conference run. We'll see what happens next week and beyond. I have no idea how they'll come out and play. They got a tremendous break with the BTT draw and couldn't cash in.....oh well.....life goes on.

50% shooting for a 7-4 guy that shoots 2 feet from the basket is not good

it is when he follows up half of his misses for our backs basically 75% shooting. He also drew a ton of fouls and on some of those misses he was absolutely man handled and no call. He played great. We got 25 rebounds from our center position and 25 points. Anyone who questions how they played didn’t watch the game.

Hunter will get plenty of minutes in March madness and it will be limited, the other guard position is so inconsistent not sure what to think.

Thing is Hunter can't play the whole game, so IT has to at least play some. SS I agree needs to play less unless he gets hot, but rarely does he stay hot.

Our offense is really struggling right now as a while any way you look at it.
It’s an option to have Morton run point when Hunter needs a rest. Don’t understand why people don’t realize that.

Well, if Stefanovic didn't lose the game, then Painter did! Why would you give the coldest player on the team for the entire game and the entire BT tournament the ball to shoot the most important shot of the game? With 4 plus minutes to go, I said Stefanovic won't score the rest of the game and Painter will leave him in the whole time. Which Painter did until the game was out of reach with about a minute to go. Newman ties the game at 51 after a long drought and Painter immediately takes him out of the game. Why? You hardly ever play the dude and so how many fouls he had is irrelevant! Newman got screwed by the refs too with two fouls that weren't! Morton was 1 for 1 from 3 and he is on the bench nearly the entire time while Stefanovic isn't scoring and is getting scorched on defense. Yes, IT was in much too long as well; dribbles right into the defense for a turn-over! When Williams went for the steal at the top of the key and didn't get it we looked tired and Painter should have called a time out as soon as possible after that! By the time he called the timeout it was much too late! Morton and Newman should be getting Stefanovic's minutes. I can't remember the last time I saw Stefanovic play well away from Mackey. (Probably the Minnesota game in early February). If Morton and Newman don't get at least half of Stefanovic's minutes we have zero chance of making the Final Four!

I've been saying the same thing. He's a robot in terms of in game decisions or lack there of.

SS and IT need to sit. Both are hurting the team. Time to shorten the rotation…. Edey really should play less also, seams to be just going through the motions. At 7-4 he should have dominated today.
but he went up against Rebraca , the Brit Blob, and whoever #44 is.

Reactions: *4purdue*
Well, if Stefanovic didn't lose the game, then Painter did! Why would you give the coldest player on the team for the entire game and the entire BT tournament the ball to shoot the most important shot of the game? With 4 plus minutes to go, I said Stefanovic won't score the rest of the game and Painter will leave him in the whole time. Which Painter did until the game was out of reach with about a minute to go. Newman ties the game at 51 after a long drought and Painter immediately takes him out of the game. Why? You hardly ever play the dude and so how many fouls he had is irrelevant! Newman got screwed by the refs too with two fouls that weren't! Morton was 1 for 1 from 3 and he is on the bench nearly the entire time while Stefanovic isn't scoring and is getting scorched on defense. Yes, IT was in much too long as well; dribbles right into the defense for a turn-over! When Williams went for the steal at the top of the key and didn't get it we looked tired and Painter should have called a time out as soon as possible after that! By the time he called the timeout it was much too late! Morton and Newman should be getting Stefanovic's minutes. I can't remember the last time I saw Stefanovic play well away from Mackey. (Probably the Minnesota game in early February). If Morton and Newman don't get at least half of Stefanovic's minutes we have zero chance of making the Final Four!
Coach seems loyal to Sr. but Newman made his first shot, then after the commercial he's on the bench and hr brings in #55

They never get 50/50 balls, which I believe is due to effort.

My humble opinion is that if SS and/or IT are on the floor, zone must be played at least some of the time to hide or mitigate their deficiencies. They get abused in man, particularly IT.

Hot take, I know...
If they're too small or slow to get out on somebody shooting a 3 while playing man how is zone going to make that better?

But if Painter doesn't make changes with him and IT in the tournament, don't expect any different results.

1-8 from the field today

Terrible stats the last few games.

Getting abused on D.
After our early exit last year we needed to add a physical guard or switch ss and newman. Unfortunately, newman couldn't earn more minutes. I love Matt and hope he retires as the purdue coach but this is one of his worst coaching seasons imo. He knew where our deficiencys were and we are literally right in the same boat with a very good team that accomplished nothing. Ss,, it, and turnovers will be our undoing.

On a positive note, Ivey was only down on the floor 4 times today. 🤡

SS and IT need to sit. Both are hurting the team. Time to shorten the rotation…. Edey really should play less also, seams to be just going through the motions. At 7-4 he should have dominated today.
He did shorten the rotation instead of Newman getting the DNP he gave it to Furst. Painter is not changing his line up now. SS is going to get 35 minutes regardless of performance.

ivey and sasha combined to go 2 for 14 on threes. that is a big reason we lost in addition to the 17 turnovers. very disappointing year for a team that has so much potential.
Early in the season we had many raining 3's. Hunter about it right now. Morton hit 1 today. We did not play well in an important game. Had we won, would it have changed our seed? Time to regroup and see what happens in Milwaukee.

Reactions: Schnelk
I really think Painter needs to adjust the lineup based on recent data. Especially if we are midway through a game and that data is holding true. Give SS a chance to break out of his slump but if it is late in the first half and his play is supporting the data that he is still in a slump; man, oh man you have got to make some freaking adjustments! Game today was winnable. Instead of substituting players for long stretches maybe some timely timeouts would be better! We had 3 timeouts remaining late in the game - not good!

Reactions: Schnelk
I started a separate thread to not dump on Sasha. Calipari had interesting comment that relates to this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT