ADVERTISEMENT

I normally don't find a lot of comments I like n Facebook. Some, but not a lot. However this one is right on!

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
Conversation between two basketball analysts (that are not Purdue or even Big 10 centric):
John Martin: “This is now 4 regular-season Big 10 championships in the last 7 or 8 seasons. That’s an impressive level of consistency. And I know if you pull someone over in the street, and say ‘Purdue basketball! What do you think?’ they’re going to say ‘They shit the bed every March.’ And that’s fair… but I’ve learned to appreciate what you do over 38 games, versus what might happen in one.”

Rob Dauster: “You are 100% correct, and this is something that really pisses me off about college basketball fans: the easiest thing to troll Purdue on right now, and I understand why rival fans do it, because they kick your ass every year during the actual season… the easiest thing to troll them on is that you stink in March. And 90% of casual college basketball fans don’t start watching until the month of March. So all these people who don’t really pay attention to the sport the way that we pay attention to the sport, sees Purdue lose to Fairleigh Dickinson and says ‘hahaha, see I told you Matt Painter is horrible.’ No, he’s not horrible. Right now, they are the best program, the healthiest program without a doubt, in that conference that has Indiana, that has Michigan State, that has Illinois.

Every single coach that has championships right now was once the best that couldn’t do it. Tony Bennett was that for awhile. We said that about Bill Self before he made the Final 4. Dan Hurley was a guy that was a choke artist when it got to March and now look what he’s doing. Mark Few, I know he hasn’t won the title yet, but he made two national title games in the span of 5 seasons. Matt Painter is going to get there and get it done. The whole point of the college basketball regular season is to, beyond winning the championships, is to get yourself in a position to where you have a chance to make a run in March. If you keep getting 1 and 2 seeds, eventually you’re going to make a run in March. And this idea that Purdue is a horrible basketball program because they’ve had a couple rough upsets in the NCAA tournament is just laughable to me… I think Purdue fans probably understand this, but what they are watching every single year with Matt Painter, what he’s able to put out, is a treasure you should enjoy. A lot of programs don’t get to see that level of consistency.”

I gave a talk at work recently about seeing the positive in what we do. I really appreciate the comments above. If success in the tournament happens, or doesn't, I will still appreciate the level of excellence we are seeing with Matt's program. I have and will continue to enjoy and appreciate what Matt Painter is doing at Purdue. As a fan, I find them exciting to watch and I am proud to cheer for them. There are so many positives to highlight, the winning is obvious, but our players also seem like good people. Yes, we get the occasional player that makes a mistake, as we all do, but for the most part Matt recruits character, work ethic, and substance. I am so proud to be a Boilermaker, hope you are too.

I gave a talk at work recently about seeing the positive in what we do. I really appreciate the comments above. If success in the tournament happens, or doesn't, I will still appreciate the level of excellence we are seeing with Matt's program. I have and will continue to enjoy and appreciate what Matt Painter is doing at Purdue. As a fan, I find them exciting to watch and I am proud to cheer for them. There are so many positives to highlight, the winning is obvious, but our players also seem like good people. Yes, we get the occasional player that makes a mistake, as we all do, but for the most part Matt recruits character, work ethic, and substance. I am so proud to be a Boilermaker, hope you are too.
This team is doing it against teams with multiple players playing with the extra year. What gets missed by "some" is that high character people not only are appreciated by the alumni AND fans, but that character can be worked with an explanation of what needs to happen, the reality of the situation and the ability to persevere...and most importantly face adversity better than many and "typically" has a better grasp on reality. You can win with those that make you wonder if they really took any classes and you can win with those that do not comprise the traits we appreciate, but as alumni winning with quality people is the best. That said, I think the Big has a lot of quality people

Reactions: mediaexpert
Painter has grit--passion and perseverance. He recruits players with grit and instills further grit in them.

Wooden was the same way. He got his players, and team, better each practice and each year. It took Wooden something like 16 years at UCLA before he won his first NCAA Championship.

I really liked these comments by Izzo after the MSU game, as reported on Upload:

"But that tournament is a miserable thing," Izzo goes on. "It really is. You know, matchups, time you play em, second team you play, there's so many things that play a factor in that. I just think one of my best teams, we got beat in Detroit by an average Syracuse team. I've been there and done that. But the way Matt has handled it. You're lucky you've got him. Better cherish him. Don't worry about how many final fours he gets. Wins a lot of games. Does it the right way. He's a hell of a coach."

I think what I might be happiest about the Purdue Men’s basketball program is that since I was a 19 year old sophomore Purdue has had 2 coaches. In 44 years. That’s very little stress, turmoil, controversy or scandal that can set a program back. Maybe for years. Maybe permanently. We’re fortunate.

I really liked these comments by Izzo after the MSU game, as reported on Upload:

"But that tournament is a miserable thing," Izzo goes on. "It really is. You know, matchups, time you play em, second team you play, there's so many things that play a factor in that. I just think one of my best teams, we got beat in Detroit by an average Syracuse team. I've been there and done that. But the way Matt has handled it. You're lucky you've got him. Better cherish him. Don't worry about how many final fours he gets. Wins a lot of games. Does it the right way. He's a hell of a coach."
I referenced that somewhere, but without the text you listed,

Painter has grit--passion and perseverance. He recruits players with grit and instills further grit in them.

Wooden was the same way. He got his players, and team, better each practice and each year. It took Wooden something like 16 years at UCLA before he won his first NCAA Championship.
I don't think you can compare Painter to Wooden. There has never been even a hint of impropriety with Matt, and there was and is with multiple Wooden teams.

This is spot on! Purdue fans who live in bitterness because they are not getting enough bragging rights from the NCAA Tournament are missing out. This program does it the right way year after year. Believe me, I have a lot of IU connections in my family and I see the frustration of being a fan of the rival program on a regular basis. They may fall back to the banners in an argument, but being a fan of that program brings a lot of frustration week in and week out, year in and year out. I think that as a fan you just have to appreciate the ride and view the NCAA Tournament another opportunity. If it never happens, it does not take away from all of the great seasons, moments, and players along the way.

Life has many real stresses and I see no reason as a fan to make rooting for any sports team another major stress. Sure, if you love the team, the season ending losses all sting. But, to me what stings the most is seeing the sadness in the players. That said, what I’ve seen over the years is that they all pick themselves up and go on with their lives, not living in self pity. I don’t need Purdue to make a Final Four this year to validate anything about myself. If they pull it off, I will love it and then life will continue. If they don’t, I’ll be a grouch for a day or two and then I will enjoy my summer and wait for next year.

This is spot on! Purdue fans who live in bitterness because they are not getting enough bragging rights from the NCAA Tournament are missing out. This program does it the right way year after year. Believe me, I have a lot of IU connections in my family and I see the frustration of being a fan of the rival program on a regular basis. They may fall back to the banners in an argument, but being a fan of that program brings a lot of frustration week in and week out, year in and year out. I think that as a fan you just have to appreciate the ride and view the NCAA Tournament another opportunity. If it never happens, it does not take away from all of the great seasons, moments, and players along the way.

Life has many real stresses and I see no reason as a fan to make rooting for any sports team another major stress. Sure, if you love the team, the season ending losses all sting. But, to me what stings the most is seeing the sadness in the players. That said, what I’ve seen over the years is that they all pick themselves up and go on with their lives, not living in self pity. I don’t need Purdue to make a Final Four this year to validate anything about myself. If they pull it off, I will love it and then life will continue. If they don’t, I’ll be a grouch for a day or two and then I will enjoy my summer and wait for next year.
Yep.

People tried to get under my skin after the loss last year and I brushed them off. If you let them get under your skin, it says more about you than Purdue.

I desperately want Purdue to make the Final Four and win a championship. But I want it a hell of a lot more for Coach Painter and these tremendous young men than I do myself. They are working a hell of a lot harder than I am.

Yep.

People tried to get under my skin after the loss last year and I brushed them off. If you let them get under your skin, it says more about you than Purdue.

I desperately want Purdue to make the Final Four and win a championship. But I want it a hell of a lot more for Coach Painter and these tremendous young men than I do myself. They are working a hell of a lot harder than I am.
This.

Gene Keady and every past Purdue player will joyfully share in the victory.

Keady and Painter are cut from the same cloth. They have both been upright and passionate coaches who selected and trained players with the same outlook. We have been blessed to have these two men lead our
basketball program for as long as they have. Go boilers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT