ADVERTISEMENT

Sasha Didn't Lose this Game

Without SS and IT, this team isn't sitting a 3 seed and doesn't have the wins they do.
Very possibly true but doesn’t mean that sometimes players are limited by matchups or simply not making the needed contributions and maybe someone else can step up. That’s not to say sit them for a month like Newman but nobody should be playing now based on past performances.

Early in the season maybe, but both have regressed as the season has gone on. They have been more of a liability than luxury of late.
The team as a whole has regressed. SS shot has stopped falling. IT has disappeared. Ivey has decided almost every possession goes through him first. Tre and Edey have been losing touches and confidence. I'd like to see us return to Tre and Edey always touching the ball. The entire offense seems to run more smooth and effectively that way.

You know I'll be ready for this season to be over so we all take a break from one another. We argue about some really weird things on here.

It's due in large part to the phenomenon of Boilerepherine osmosis.....and unfortunately, there are numerous catalysts present in a non-sterile environment, which can lead to "unintended" results.

54d41c62e6d15_-_esq-jerry-pp.jpg

It is always amazing that it is only one player that has caused all our woes. If we could just figure out which kid it is, then we could sit him on the bench and win… no doubt more than 20 games, right?
No one thinks its one player. Sasha is hurt and needs to give up minutes and shot until he is healthy. IT is being eaten up by 6' 190lb guards. Ivey dribbles too much, goes airborn with no plan and tries to do to much (as is also the best player on the court). Not one player. Throw in lazy passes and missed FTs for good measure.

The team as a whole has regressed. SS shot has stopped falling. IT has disappeared. Ivey has decided almost every possession goes through him first. Tre and Edey have been losing touches and confidence. I'd like to see us return to Tre and Edey always touching the ball. The entire offense seems to run more smooth and effectively that way.
I agree with many of the points on this, but I do also think the Big Ten refs got together on a team-call with videos and said it was hurting the game to call every foul on the Edey defenders. They signed a pack to let 70% of the constant muggings go, but then the related association was, almost like to call touchy fouls or bumping offensive fouls on him as part of the plan. If he got one charge and a touch foul in the first half, he was sitting. Then you can add on the legit fouls he makes. This let teams start paying more attention to others. I saw a correlation with lesser 3 point percentages and Edey's treatment. It did change many of the games for us and how we played. I do also think that it wasn't a mystery that this was happening, and the make-up of our team is what we are now. This is what we evolved into. Not bad, but not what we saw early on. Can't believe I am blaming the season on the refs, but that's how I feel.

That said, I am still happy with the year as it has been an overall good intriguing season. I get it, as one of many high expectation fans, we all are hungry for even more, especially with the early hype. Though I am never satisfied, this may be just a really good year, but not that special year. On the brighter side, with the NCAA tournament, I see different refs for our games and it's like a new season. We may just surprise people. I think we can, I think we can.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
Not going to dump on anybody, that's why I started a separate thread. But if you look at our box score today and think TO's were the only reason we lost, then you have a much simpler view of basketball then I do.
Since Sasha isn’t an offensive threat now and is a defensive liability, we need our best athletic option(s). Newman and Morton

Reactions: SwingAndSwear
He would get doubled and ran off of his screen which is what everybody started doing to him. His defense was very good yesterday where newman was lost and hence why he played.

As someone else said, we lost because of turnovers which has cost us all season long. You can, incorrectly, focus fire on Sasha all you want but the numbers don't lie.
If he was doubled, that means a wide open Edey, Gillis, Hunter, or Ivey. Should have been able to put up 90 with that going on.

Reactions: purduepat1969
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT