ADVERTISEMENT

Sasha Didn't Lose this Game

He was asked about depth. He said the great thing about having a deep team is you can just tell a guy today isn't your day and sit him and play someone else big minutes.
It was turnovers that cost us not Sasha or IT and is what has cost us before.

It isnt rocket science... We don't turn the ball over, we win. It's as simple as that.

Early in the season we had many raining 3's. Hunter about it right now. Morton hit 1 today. We did not play well in an important game. Had we won, would it have changed our seed? Time to regroup and see what happens in Milwaukee.
the thing is Iowa was beatable today, before the late game garbage points, we had them in the 67 point range.

It was turnovers that cost us not Sasha or IT and is what has cost us before.

It isnt rocket science... We don't turn the ball over, we win. It's as simple as that.
Not going to dump on anybody, that's why I started a separate thread. But if you look at our box score today and think TO's were the only reason we lost, then you have a much simpler view of basketball then I do.

But if Painter doesn't make changes with him and IT in the tournament, don't expect any different results.

1-8 from the field today

Terrible stats the last few games.

Getting abused on D.
I’ve had issues with SS since big ten play started. I’ll bet since January he is shooting around 30% from 3 yet he is out there like he is a sniper. Shooting 28 footers at critical junctures. Fall alway, fading left and right. Plays the most minutes on the team.

I am sure painter feels he can count on him on the court but imo he really hasn’t played well. I hope he can get hot for 6 games cause it’s evident painter is going to roll with him.

It is always amazing that it is only one player that has caused all our woes. If we could just figure out which kid it is, then we could sit him on the bench and win… no doubt more than 20 games, right?

I guess my issue is if Sasha's gonna continue to get major minutes after shooting 3-17 in the BTT while clearly struggling the last 10 games, why did Newman sit for 2 months?
That's my point, thought our play was based on performance and SS and IT numbers are horrible, especially last month....they are not "assets" going into tournament, liabilities.

Not going to pile on anymore but I just wish Painter would make some adjustments sometimes. At least Newman is back in the rotation. What I can't stand is when people get upset with you for questioning the coach and some of his decisions; like he is a GOD and can do no wrong and should never be questioned. Why have a forum at all? I am sure I couldn't come close to coaching the x and o's as good as Painter but some of the in-game decisions being made are not based on rocket science. It is not like we have a history of awesome tournament success and until we do, I don't think it is wrong to raise some questions.

Not going to pile on anymore but I just wish Painter would make some adjustments sometimes. At least Newman is back in the rotation. What I can't stand is when people get upset with you for questioning the coach and some of his decisions; like he is a GOD and can do no wrong and should never be questioned. Why have a forum at all? I am sure I couldn't come close to coaching the x and o's as good as Painter but some of the in-game decisions being made are not based on rocket science. It is not like we have a history of awesome tournament success and until we do, I don't think it is wrong to raise some questions.
You're not wrong, but it's also frustrating to hear criticism on coaching decisions that are in the "no win" scenario. For example, coach decides to foul with 5 seconds left and up 3, but a fluke missed rebound and made shot causes team to lose. Poster calls Painter an idiot for fouling. Same scenario, but we don't foul resulting in an OT loss after a made 3 pointer. Same poster calls Painter an idiot for not fouling. If you've never seen these type of posts, you've not been here very long as these type of posts happen all the time.

Reactions: Russ Ford
You're not wrong, but it's also frustrating to hear criticism on coaching decisions that are in the "no win" scenario. For example, coach decides to foul with 5 seconds left and up 3, but a fluke missed rebound and made shot causes team to lose. Poster calls Painter an idiot for fouling. Same scenario, but we don't foul resulting in an OT loss after a made 3 pointer. Same poster calls Painter an idiot for not fouling. If you've never seen these type of posts, you've not been here very long as these type of posts happen all the time.
True. Although with the best defender in the Big Ten on him, I think we should have played Virginia straight up instead of fouling. Lol! I agree though questioning or criticizing those 50/50 decisions is pretty crazy. My only advice for Paint going forward is to stay with the hot hand and use your timeouts wisely! I was losing it when he pulled Newman right after he ended our scoring drought and tied the game at 51! Why?

Reactions: Schnelk
True. Although with the best defender in the Big Ten on him, I think we should have played Virginia straight up instead of fouling. Lol! I agree though questioning or criticizing those 50/50 decisions is pretty crazy. My only advice for Paint going forward is to stay with the hot hand and use your timeouts wisely! I was losing it when he pulled Newman right after he ended our scoring drought and tied the game at 51! Why?
Sasha was at the scorer's table waiting to come in before Newman made that basket. I felt bad he came out, but Paint had already decided.

Reactions: Purdue0023
But if Painter doesn't make changes with him and IT in the tournament, don't expect any different results.

1-8 from the field today

Getting abused on D.
Sasha was not set up for success by his coach.

Letting Sasha play 33 mins in this game greatly contributed to this predictable loss.

This is in NO WAY meant to be a comment critical of Painter or any other coach, but just to try and gain some perspective. One of my best friends just retired after 30+ years as the CFO for an NFL team. The one thing he has consistently said over all of that time is that most big time coaches at one time were PE majors in college so don't be surprised when their decisions don't always seem correct. He has story after story of not only head coaches but assistants as well making the wrong decision. Again, just food for thought. Not aimed at anyone in particular.

It is not like we have a history of awesome tournament success and until we do, I don't think it is wrong to raise some questions.
The ironic part is that we’re basically one Ryan Cline missed free throw from most of the disappointments being absolved. Yet, here we are with a team who seemingly has no one who can hit the front end of a 1-and-1.

This is in NO WAY meant to be a comment critical of Painter or any other coach, but just to try and gain some perspective. One of my best friends just retired after 30+ years as the CFO for an NFL team. The one thing he has consistently said over all of that time is that most big time coaches at one time were PE majors in college so don't be surprised when their decisions don't always seem correct. He has story after story of not only head coaches but assistants as well making the wrong decision. Again, just food for thought. Not aimed at anyone in particular.
no greater head scratcher than when Seattle didn't use Beastmode at least one time on the 1 yd line vs the Pates. Carroll got blamed but Beavell called the pass play,

Thing is Hunter can't play the whole game, so IT has to at least play some. SS I agree needs to play less unless he gets hot, but rarely does he stay hot.

Our offense is really struggling right now as a while any way you look at it.
Wait...someone will let you know that KenPom shows that they are elite offensively...despite the fact that they lost 7 games along the way, I don't believe scoring 70 in any of them.

This team played its best basketball in November...

Moving Hunter into the starting lineup did not generate better numbers offensively for that group...had nominal impact defensively...and, destroyed the second group, which, if it was not just pre-determined as someone else said as to when they all go in, would not matter as much.

Nobody else subs regardless of score/situation 4 minutes in to take 3 starters out...Purdue does it every single game.

Reactions: SKYDOG
no greater head scratcher than when Seattle didn't use Beastmode at least one time on the 1 yd line vs the Pates. Carroll got blamed but Beavell called the pass play,

giphy-downsized.gif

1-8 from the field today

Getting abused on D.
The Sasha matter presented some time ago and has gone ignored for weeks...

He was a disaster though this weekend...Hummel commented on Friday and Grant Hill did yesterday. His shot is off to a point that it never has been, unfortunately, and more unfortunate given the timing of it.

With what Newman showed this past weekend, no reason at all for those guys not to be splitting minutes moving forward...however long that may be.

I guess my issue is if Sasha's gonna continue to get major minutes after shooting 3-17 in the BTT while clearly struggling the last 10 games, why did Newman sit for 2 months?
Some lame answer about Newman needing more minutes than he could get to play well apparently...

Trust me, I have raised the same question...never made much sense.

If they're too small or slow to get out on somebody shooting a 3 while playing man how is zone going to make that better?
Sasha Stefanovic gives a solid effort...he deserves credit for that, but, he is slow and overmatched often, and, without question, is the absolute worst off-the-ball defender in the world...there are SO many times in games that he is literally doing absolutely nothing but standing in the lane watching some guy make a move in the post and 15-feet away from his guy standing wide open on the perimeter....it has happened time after time after time.

This team is not good at that end...Ivey chooses not to play defense most of the time, so, it makes it 4-on-5 in general...Sasha simply can't play it well, so, it is more like 3.5-on-5, and, leads to guys getting open shots and Purdue literally just hoping that someone will miss said open shot.

The Sasha matter presented some time ago and has gone ignored for weeks...

He was a disaster though this weekend...Hummel commented on Friday and Grant Hill did yesterday. His shot is off to a point that it never has been, unfortunately, and more unfortunate given the timing of it.

With what Newman showed this past weekend, no reason at all for those guys not to be splitting minutes moving forward...however long that may be.
I really don’t get the Sasha / Newman deal… at all. Newman looks much quicker at both ends of the floor right now.

ivey and sasha combined to go 2 for 14 on threes. that is a big reason we lost in addition to the 17 turnovers. very disappointing year for a team that has so much potential.
Ivey is not a shooter...everyone realizes that except the one person that needs to realize it unfortunately.

I really don’t get the Sasha / Newman deal… at all. Newman looks much quicker at both ends of the floor right now.
Because he has not played in like a month...no doubt he is fresh, and, never has been a question as to whether he was more athletic.

The sudden benching never made any sense....shortening the rotation...yes, some sense to it, but, never made any sense that Newman did not play at all...suddenly.

He should have been getting minutes from Sasha, and from Isaiah once they decided to move Isaiah out of the starting rotation.

Reactions: BoilerMaker P
Because he has not played in like a month...no doubt he is fresh, and, never has been a question as to whether he was more athletic.

The sudden benching never made any sense....shortening the rotation...yes, some sense to it, but, never made any sense that Newman did not play at all...suddenly.

He should have been getting minutes from Sasha, and from Isaiah once they decided to move Isaiah out of the starting rotation.
And I liked the lineup against Penn State with both of them in, as well as Ivey and Hunter. With Tre at the 5.

Would be nice if we had a coach that would have his back all season for that, but coach is to busy drinking his voss water to argue with the refs.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Have you ever sat near the court. Painter is working the refs. Just not acting like an ass which some on here want.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Have you ever sat near the court. Painter is working the refs. Just not acting like an ass which some on here want.
He always says stuff like that even though there is literal video evidence of Painter 'working' the refs. He's a tool, don't take him seriously.

we have seen this over and over again. When the level of competition goes up, Sasha disappears.
It's more like Sasha gets doubled, which is what happened yesterday and you have that when you play the same team over and over again. Maybe try understanding things before you talk out of your ass next time eh?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT