ADVERTISEMENT

Faster Game B1G Basketball & Beyond Stats

Flot

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
If you are not watching this show on B1G Network, you should. Love the analyst and the addition of John Beilein out of retirement.

Why we are seeing faster D1 games?

DEEP DIGITS D-I OFFENSE THIS SEASON

-68.8 POSSESSIONS PER GAME (MOST SINCE 2020-21)

- 104.7 PTS PER 100 POSS (HIGHEST THIS CENTURY)

- 50.3% 2-PT FG (HIGHEST THIS CENTURY)

- 17.5% TO RATE (LOWEST THIS CENTURY)

Why?

Changes to the charge rule (so little called)
Changes to the travel rule (so little called)
Changes to the 3 second rule (so little called)
More athletic 4’s that can rebound and shoot.

Things that they didn't discuss is the parity between teams because of the NIL/transfer portal. Would Kansas be ranked as high without adding a doofus guy from Michigan? Where would we be without the addition of Lance Jones? Would be a crime he doesn’t win B1G player of the week…..

This is why the games are either more enjoyable or less enjoyable for fans (I’m a half-full type of guy so I’m liking the rule change but the NIL/transfer portal will make it harder and more nail-biting for me as we wind up conference play heading to March.

Thoughts?

Reactions: BoilerAndy
If you are not watching this show on B1G Network, you should. Love the analyst and the addition of John Beilein out of retirement.

Why?

Things that they didn't discuss is the parity between teams because of the NIL/transfer portal. Would Kansas be ranked as high without adding a doofus guy from Michigan? Where would we be without the addition of Lance Jones? Would be a crime he doesn’t win B1G player of the week…..

This is why the games are either more enjoyable or less enjoyable for fans (I’m a half-full type of guy so I’m liking the rule change but the NIL/transfer portal will make it harder and more nail-biting for me as we wind up conference play heading to March.

Thoughts?

I still appreciate good D, but I am generally for things that make scoring higher. Purdue is normally so good on offense, the 34 pt first half vs Wisky was really pedestrian average play, for them, as I commented on yesterday. 41 in H2 was quite a bit more normal, for Purdue.

However, some of these quick spin moves combined with an additional step or two to shoot around the basket are travels and should be called as such.

While charge calls still happen, I think officials now call a block when close.

And yes, had not considered it really, but would love to see Jones as B10 player of the week!

Reactions: Flot

Why?

Thoughts?
Wasn't Jones a Grad Transfer.
Painter has gotten a lot of those guys.
NIL hurt us last year with the dude that went to Miami.
We shall see how Painter uses the portal going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT