ADVERTISEMENT

Sasha Didn't Lose this Game

It's more like Sasha gets doubled, which is what happened yesterday and you have that when you play the same team over and over again. Maybe try understanding things before you talk out of your ass next time eh?
Sasha didn't get doubled yesterday. What are you talking about?

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Sasha didn't get doubled yesterday. What are you talking about?
He would get doubled and ran off of his screen which is what everybody started doing to him. His defense was very good yesterday where newman was lost and hence why he played.

As someone else said, we lost because of turnovers which has cost us all season long. You can, incorrectly, focus fire on Sasha all you want but the numbers don't lie.

Would be nice if we had a coach that would have his back all season for that, but coach is to busy drinking his voss water to argue with the refs.
Were you at the game yesterday? Painter was all over the refs, thought he was close to tech at one point.

Reactions: Level 42
Early in the season we had many raining 3's. Hunter about it right now. Morton hit 1 today. We did not play well in an important game. Had we won, would it have changed our seed? Time to regroup and see what happens in Milwaukee.
Would not have effected seed at all , if we won.

He would get doubled and ran off of his screen which is what everybody started doing to him. His defense was very good yesterday where newman was lost and hence why he played.

As someone else said, we lost because of turnovers which has cost us all season long. You can, incorrectly, focus fire on Sasha all you want but the numbers don't lie.
I'm not bashing Sasha at all, I never do that. But let's be completely honest, when you look at that box score TO's were not the only reason we lost. That is one big factor but not the only one. That is over simplifying the game. If we limit the TO's we certainly would have won. However, had we gotten more production from the 44 minutes that SS and IT played we also would have won. To ignore either of those things is not being intellectually honest when discussing the game. We can discuss non productive playing time without bashing a player. That is what I'm trying to do.

But he had 6 assists and kept us in the game with scoring at the rim.
5 TOs and 1-8 from 3 pt line. That's not great. 2 things can be true at the same time. Charging through the lane out of control, turning the ball over and possibly getting hurt and the irresponsible deep 3s aren't good. Does he do great things? Of course. We could use him to clean some things up though.

Ok, so let's, for the sake of argument, assume you're argument is correct. And that's a BIG assumption based on what I saw yesterday. If he's getting doubled and run off his screen, and isn't being effective offensively, why is he getting that many minutes?

And his defense was not that great yesterday. He was getting eaten alive by Murray when he tried to guard him. And that's why Morton was brought into the ballgame. You and I must be watching 2 different ballgames...

Reactions: BoilerDeac
5 TOs and 1-8 from 3 pt line. That's not great. 2 things can be true at the same time. Charging through the lane out of control, turning the ball over and possibly getting hurt and the irresponsible deep 3s aren't good. Does he do great things? Of course. We could use him to clean some things up though.
And Brees threw lots of picks when he was here. Were you complaining about those?

Reactions: Level 42
That is one big factor but not the only one. That is over simplifying the game. If we limit the TO's we certainly would have won.
Well the reason we lost is because of turnovers so yeah, it is that simple. Iowa, I think, scored on every TO we had. We cut those even in half and we likely win and it has been our pain point all season long.

So yeah, that is why we lost. As I said focus fire on Sasha all you want and then subsequently someone new next season, but the fact remains we lost because of TOs.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Ok, so let's, for the sake of argument, assume you're argument is correct.
Easy assumption because I am.

He's getting minutes because Newman in general offers us little and as I said many times, I am a newman fan but his time is not until next year and often times yesterday got lost on defense where Sasha did just fine and was in position with some shots going in over him.

As I said, I get it, you would likely be fine if Sasha just quit now and never played again for us and will likely find someone else next year to do the same thing to. Too bad you have such an angst toward someone playing as hard as they can for Purdue.

Well the reason we lost is because of turnovers so yeah, it is that simple. Iowa, I think, scored on every TO we had. We cut those even in half and we likely win and it has been our pain point all season long.

So yeah, that is why we lost. As I said focus fire on Sasha all you want and then subsequently someone new next season, but the fact remains we lost because of TOs.
I would say TOs, AND 2 starters combining to go 1-12 from the floor. With a handful of missed front ends being a 3rd factor.

The FACT is we lost for several reasons, ONE of which was TO's. I'm not focusing fire on Sasha. If you think the 44 minutes that he and IT got were productive enough to not have been a factor in the loss, then you certainly can have that opinion. If you think the missed FT's including front end of 1 and 1's weren't a factor then you can also have that opinion. We obviously look at the game differently.

I would say TOs, AND 2 starters combining to go 1-12 from the floor. With a handful of missed front ends being a 3rd factor.
Mainly TOs since those directly led to Iowa points and it is what killed us against M$U when we played them at their place. It's simple solution, take care of the ball and we win.

Be the same formula in the tourney.

Easy assumption because I am.

He's getting minutes because Newman in general offers us little and as I said many times, I am a newman fan but his time is not until next year and often times yesterday got lost on defense where Sasha did just fine and was in position with some shots going in over him.

As I said, I get it, you would likely be fine if Sasha just quit now and never played again for us and will likely find someone else next year to do the same thing to. Too bad you have such an angst toward someone playing as hard as they can for Purdue.
Dude, you think you're correct. But you're not. Go back and look at Sasha's stats for the last dozen games. I guess in your estimation he's been "doubled" in just about every B1G game since mid-Feb? Puhlease.

And if you can't see the effectiveness Newman brought to the defense the last couple of games, you're being disingenuous. What I saw yesterday is Sasha getting abused under the basket trying to block our Murray, getting abused while Murray drove to the basket, etc. And all you're trying to do is blindly defend Painter for the minutes he gives to players that are being ineffective in games.

The FACT is we lost for several reasons, Mainly of which was TO's.
Corrected it for you. Those TO's led directly to Iowa points and as I said in another post, has been an issue for us for a while now and is even noted by GBI and other sports entities. Was part of the half time analysis of the game as well.

Cut the TO's in half and we win making everything else irrelevant.

Mainly TOs since those directly led to Iowa points and it is what killed us against M$U when we played them at their place. It's simple solution, take care of the ball and we win.

Be the same formula in the tourney.
Do you think 1-8 shooting might also have led to buckets for Iowa as well? Because that's literally the same as a turnover...

Reactions: DAG10
Na I am. But you have such a hatred for Sasha for some reason that you can't critique him objectively.
I critique him when he plays badly. He hasn't played well for the past 10 games or so. You can call it hate. Call it what you want. He's been a no show in big games this year. If you haven't figured that out yet, you're not being objective either...

You angrily focus on him no matter what he does. You've been doing it all season long. At least make an effort to be self-aware.
No. It’s that Newman is playing better basketball in the post season, by any objective measure, and that should result in more minutes for him. Nothing against Sasha.

Reactions: PaBoiler78
Corrected it for you. Those TO's led directly to Iowa points and as I said in another post, has been an issue for us for a while now and is even noted by GBI and other sports entities. Was part of the half time analysis of the game as well.

Cut the TO's in half and we win making everything else irrelevant.
You don't need to fix anything. What I wrote is correct. TO's were one of the reasons we lost. So were FT's and so were non productive minutes. You are way over simplifying the game to fit your agenda.

Reactions: DAG10
I critique him when he plays badly. He hasn't played well for the past 10 games or so. You can call it hate. Call it what you want. He's been a no show in big games this year. If you haven't figured that out yet, you're not being objective either...
But he has shown up in 'big games'. Nova as an example he had 10 points and that was a big game. He also played hurt it seems yesterday but still gave Purdue everything he had.

Not if we take care of the ball. Hell even GBI agrees with me:

We average 12 TOs a game. 17 isn’t a shocking number. We are who we are at this point. Jaden and Tre play high risk/high reward basketball.

Can’t have 2 guys playing 3/4 of the minutes and going 1-12 and expect to win against good teams.

And Brees threw lots of picks when he was here. Were you complaining about those?
Ivey had a team high 5 TOs. Went 1-8 from beyond the arc, some early in the clock and well beyond the line. That's not awesome in an important and tight game. Sometimes I think he's just a little beyond his capabilities, a little to risky and could use a little more self control when taking those deep 3s.

No. It’s that Newman is playing better basketball in the post season, by any objective measure, and that should result in more minutes for him. Nothing against Sasha.
Except that he isn't. He had 2 points yesterday to Sasha's 3 and Sasha also had 4 rebounds to Newman's 0. Those numbers alone don't show any indication he is playing better.

Michigan state game they split the minutes and Sasha had 6 points in that game.

All of this is just boxscore evidence as to why Sasha is playing the minutes he is.

We average 12 TOs a game. 17 isn’t a shocking number. We are who we are at this point. Jaden and Tre play high risk/high reward basketball.

Can’t have 2 guys playing 3/4 of the minutes and going 1-12 and expect to win against good teams.
Can't turn the ball over 17 times against a team like Iowa and expect to win.

Edit: I am not disagreeing with you, just saying we even just have our 'average' TO ratio we likely win and that is what I would consider low hanging fruit to fix.

Ivey had a team high 5 TOs. Went 1-8 from beyond the arc, some early in the clock and well beyond the line. That's not awesome in an important and tight game. Sometimes I think he's just a little beyond his capabilities, a little to risky and could use a little more self control when taking those deep 3s.
He was by far the best player on the floor. 9-18 from the floor, 20 points, 6 assists and 3 boards. You take the good with the bad.

5 TOs from the guy who has the ball all the time and makes most of the plays isn’t terrible. It’s the 12 TOs from the rest of the team that are the bigger issue IMO.

Except that he isn't. He had 2 points yesterday to Sasha's 3 and Sasha also had 4 rebounds to Newman's 0. Those numbers alone don't show any indication he is playing better.

All of this is just boxscore evidence as to why Sasha is playing the minutes he is.
Goodness sakes. Newman played 10 minutes to Sasha's 33. And you're going to argue Sasha had 4 more rebounds and one more point? Gee, shocker... You may want to take the blinders off a bit...

He was by far the best player on the floor. 9-18 from the floor, 20 points, 6 assists and 3 boards. You take the good with the bad.

5 TOs from the guy who has the ball all the time and makes most of the plays isn’t terrible. It’s the 12 TOs from the rest of the team that are the bigger issue IMO.
Of course he's the "best player". So, he was 8-10 everywhere but deep. 1-8 from deep behind the arc. That's not really smart. I also don't like the prospect of his constant risk through the lane, in traffic and landing hard on the court. 4 things can happen and 3 are bad. Make the shot, miss the shot, turn the ball over or get hurt.

In the BTT, Newman shot 5-11 from the floor and Sasha shot 3-17.

Painter likes to talk about going with the “hot hand”… one is hotter than the other at the moment. Just would like to see the 33-10 minutes differential evened out some, at least until Sasha gets it going again.

Of course he's the "best player". So, he was 8-10 everywhere but deep. 1-8 from deep behind the arc. That's not really smart. I also don't like the prospect of his constant risk through the lane, in traffic and landing hard on the court. 4 things can happen and 3 are bad. Make the shot, miss the shot, turn the ball over or get hurt.

There's also "draw a foul," although that may be illusory. Your point remains. Jaden Ivey was pretty somber in yesterday's post-game remarks.....took a lot of the blame for his decision-making......it's a team loss, though.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT