ADVERTISEMENT

ILL looking strong, how do you see it going down at Mackey on Friday?

Just like I said, Rodgers is a PG. If Edey is guarding him, something is wrong. I think HD meant Gurrier.
He's listed as the "PG" and usually brings the ball up. But Illinois can run offense through Hawkins or Domask as well. If Rodgers isn't effective, they may play Harmon more to get another shooter on the court.

IL is tough; they have wins over Kansas (exhibition) plus FAU & Missouri. They are worthy of a top 10 ranking even without Shannon. Big Guards that like to backdown the opponents (regardless of size). Anticipate both teams shooting a lot of FTs. If we make ours and own the glass, Purdue should win.

Missouri sucks lol. And FAU has also lost, at home, to Bryant and FGCU. It took career performances from both Shannon and Damask to win that game.

Illinois is a good team, even without Shannon, but Vegas isn't expecting this game to be particularly close with a 10pt spread.

Purdue can play poorly enough to lose but I don't see Illinois playing well enough to win if Purdue plays well

They beat Northwestern by 30 ad looked more than ok, but hoping they cool off.
Understood. They shot 63% from the field and 56% from three against NU. Not sure how that has anything to do with Shannon not playing or how it's in any way sustainable. Certainly a dangerous team with or without Shannon but if they get better overall after losing a guy playing at a first team AA level that would incredibly unusual.

Understood. They shot 63% from the field and 56% from three against NU. Not sure how that has anything to do with Shannon not playing or how it's in any way sustainable. Certainly a dangerous team with or without Shannon but if they get better overall after losing a guy playing at a first team AA level that would incredibly unusual.

IU sucks but they aren't lose to Nebraska by 20 bad. Teams play significantly better at home than the road and it shows up all the time. Arizona lost to a bad Stanford team at Stanford then smoked a solid Colorado, at home, by 50.

Utah beat BYU at home, loses to a bad ASU by 12 on the road.

Purdue loses to Northwestern, at Northwestern, then the next game is up 30+ against Iowa at home.

Just like I said, Rodgers is a PG. If Edey is guarding him, something is wrong. I think HD meant Gurrier.
Why is something wrong if Edey is guarding him? The guy is 0-1 career from three over two seasons, 46 games and 887 minutes played. That's not to say that he can't hit from three if left open but Edey has stayed in front of better players if he doesn't have to stay close to them from deep.

I'm not saying MP will take that approach but he's done it before (not sure if it was Edey or Haas) where he essentially plays his big as a one man zone sagging off of a non-shooter. Should be interesting.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
IU sucks but they aren't lose to Nebraska by 20 bad. Teams play significantly better at home than the road and it shows up all the time. Arizona lost to a bad Stanford team at Stanford then smoked a solid Colorado, at home, by 50.

Purdue loses to Northwestern, at Northwestern, then the next game is up 30+ against Iowa at home.
Agree. If there are Big Ten teams that Purdue can't lose to if they play poorly and the other team gets hot the number is very limited, but assuming one hot game equates to a team being world beaters is faulty logic. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be shocked if Purdue gets a great game from IL tonight and it's certainly possible that they lose if they don't play well. I'm just not hyping up IL based on one game.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

IU is out of sorts due to the offense Woodson is running. It doesn’t generate enough 3s to keep up with what basketball is these days. So, when a team gets hot from 3 or is good at shooting 3s, it puts a lot of pressure on their offense to try and generate those to keep up. However, their offense is designed as more one on one and creating your own shot. They don’t have the playmakers to do that in the backcourt and Mgbako has not been what they all thought he was going to be. Their defensive scheme isn’t great either, as it requires a lot of recovery by the guards by helping over and getting back, but they don’t have the quickness or IQ to be able to figure it out (yet). Ware and Reneau carry them, but ware backs down a lot to more physical comp. However, when he wants to, is the absolute best player on the court—I’ve read comments on where it seems he plays with no emotion, and since he’s tall he figured he should play basketball. Reneau is decent, a lot better than last year, but can’t figure out how to play defense without fouling. He is shooting a whooping 50% from 3 on low volume, due to teams leaving him wiiiide open. Similar to Galloway last year. Once a hand is in his face he can’t get his shot off/doesn’t think about shooting it. They have the talent to be decent but nothing is clicking. I’d say they are at least double digits loss worse than Nebraska. With Minnesota winning at Michigan, they have no good wins so far. Im sure they’ll find a way to shoot like Stanford did vs zona when they play us.

I was shocked how Zona dominated Colorado, but I did see Colorado was missing its projected lotto pick and other top scorer, and their 3rd best player went down with an injury during the game.

Why is something wrong if Edey is guarding him? The guy is 0-1 career from three over two seasons, 46 games and 887 minutes played. That's not to say that he can't hit from three if left open but Edey has stayed in front of better players if he doesn't have to stay close to them from deep.

I'm not saying MP will take that approach but he's done it before (not sure if it was Edey or Haas) where he essentially plays his big as a one man zone sagging off of a non-shooter. Should be interesting.
Even if he's not shooting 3s he's still dribble driving and moving around the perimeter. Why would we want Edey guarding that and then being out of position for the defensive glass?

Even if he's not shooting 3s he's still dribble driving and moving around the perimeter. Why would we want Edey guarding that and then being out of position for the defensive glass?
Why does Edey have to chase him?

Why does Edey have to chase him?

Good call Northside and others! Edey is basically playing a one-man zone.

Reactions: northside100
Great Purdue win against a quality ILL team.

Purdue's bench needs more time playing together so they play better defense when in the game.

There is a natural "energy" that ebbs and flows throughout the game, but Purdue had better figure out to play Defense for a full game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT