ADVERTISEMENT

ILL looking strong, how do you see it going down at Mackey on Friday?

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
I've not seen much of ILL play so I don't know what to expect from them other than a good game. I expect the fans to be loud and proud of their #1 Boilers. ILL will use their quick guards to make plays but I think Purdue's D and O are too much. Purdue by 9.

What say you?

--Lots of offense.
-- An 80-90 pt pace.
--Edey fouling guys out.
--Our guards having some trouble with the size of their guards....but adjusting to it.
---BS & Edey having fun in the P& R.
--Purdue raining 3s.
--A Purdue victory.

Reactions: Woodsa and rgarlitz
I've not seen much of ILL play so I don't know what to expect from them other than a good game. I expect the fans to be loud and proud of their #1 Boilers. ILL will use their quick guards to make plays but I think Purdue's D and O are too much. Purdue by 9.

What say you?
I could be wrong but I think IL is just ok without Shannon. Purdue rolls at home.

Reactions: 02BoilerUp
--Lots of offense.
-- An 80-90 pt pace.
--Edey fouling guys out.
--Our guards having some trouble with the size of their guards....but adjusting to it.
---BS & Edey having fun in the P& R.
--Purdue raining 3s.
--A Purdue victory.
Definitely expecting some points. Both teams put up around 85 per game.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Students are back, should be rocking and loud environment. Need the greatest 6th man for this one!

I'm curious to see if Dainja starts and how much he plays. In the games I've seen, it seems like he hasn't played as much as last year. Only other choice I'm aware of would be to put Hawkins on Edey, which seems like a difficult matchup for Hawkins (as it is for most opponents). IL is long though and is a particularly good rebounding team (maybe not as much without TSJ).

Ah, sold out either way. Hope non-students fans know their role on Friday.

Reactions: Schnelk
ILL is really good. If Purdue overlooks them for not having Shannon they could be in trouble. However, if Purdue is focused and brings their A plus effort they should take care of businesses at home.

I'm still taking a wait and see approach on Domask and Gurrier to see if they can keep this up against B1G competition with their alpha out. It's one thing to do it for a stretch, but consistently carrying a team through the grind of the B1G schedule is not easy to do. Hawkins has never been consistent in his career either and always sprinkles in a few boneheaded games. Not saying they can't, but need to see more....and a win for them in Mackey would definitely be the statement win of thr year to date.

Last edited:
Reactions: rgarlitz
He’s just stating the facts. They were better than just OK! Not sure they’ll reproduce that effort game in and game out but they looked pretty good playing without Shannon in this one.
What's the purpose of 'stating a fact' in that context unless you're trying to drive a narrative?

I stated that IMO IL is just ok and he responded that they weren't just ok against NU. We all saw that IL smoked NU, the question is 'what does that mean for them going forward?'. I don't think it means much, other than the fact that the bottom seems unlikely to completely drop out without Shannon. Others are welcome to their opinion.

Last edited:
What's the purpose of 'stating a fact' in that context unless you're trying to drive a narrative?

I stated that IMO IL is just ok and he responded that they weren't just ok against NU. We all saw that IL smoked NU, the question is 'what does that mean for them going forward?'. I don't think it means much, other than the fact that the bottom seems unlikely to completely drop out without Shannon. Others are welcome to their opinion.
Why does there have to be a narrative coming out of a 6-word post? Methinks you're reading too much into this.

I'm curious to see if Dainja starts and how much he plays. In the games I've seen, it seems like he hasn't played as much as last year. Only other choice I'm aware of would be to put Hawkins on Edey, which seems like a difficult matchup for Hawkins (as it is for most opponents). IL is long though and is a particularly good rebounding team (maybe not as much without TSJ).
Dainja will not start. He may go in when Edey sits in order to give Hawkins a blow. Or if Coleman gets in foul trouble (ha!).

Based on advanced metrics - this should be a close game. I know Illinois has 1 game under their belts without Shannon so will be curious how they look on their second game and on the road.

I would expect this to be uptempo and will be a game we have to limit turnovers and control the boards. Think it stays close until late in the second and we pull away for 8-12 pt win.

Turnovers are the key as they are in every game we play. We are one of the most efficient offenses in the country. Just don't turn it over more than 10 times and we win going away.

Based on advanced metrics - this should be a close game. I know Illinois has 1 game under their belts without Shannon so will be curious how they look on their second game and on the road.

I would expect this to be uptempo and will be a game we have to limit turnovers and control the boards. Think it stays close until late in the second and we pull away for 8-12 pt win.
2 games...they've beaten the last 2 teams to have beaten Purdue. 🤣

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Yeah, saw that on the Illini board that it is a weird coincidence that Illinois has beaten two of the last teams to beat Purdue (NW, FDU) and Purdue has beaten the last two teams to beat the Illini (Marquette, TN).
Stuart comes to mind…
look what i can do mad tv GIF

IL is tough; they have wins over Kansas (exhibition) plus FAU & Missouri. They are worthy of a top 10 ranking even without Shannon. Big Guards that like to backdown the opponents (regardless of size). Anticipate both teams shooting a lot of FTs. If we make ours and own the glass, Purdue should win.

That settles it. We're doomed.
Yeah, I had some hope until reading that. What if those teams that beat Purdue had the same players and played as well against Illinois as they did Purdue...that just leaves me even less hopeful. I wonder if it is too late to sell my tickets and not make the drive? Until then I was looking forward to the game thinking the tougher game would be at West Mackey where Purdue doesn't win quite as often as at home...somewhat like South Mackey

Didn’t Purdue beat the last two teams, (Tenn, Marquette) to beat Illinois as well?

I really like Brad Underwood and the program he is building but I think the Illini are going to run into a buzzsaw tonight. Purdue by 12. That being said, if we played in Illinois tonight I think we'd lose by 3. Conference play is ROUGH on the road.

From there I wish Illinois luck. I pull for B1G teams in all games we're not playing against them.... except IU. Screw you IU. lolololol

He’s just stating the facts. They were better than just OK! Not sure they’ll reproduce that effort game in and game out but they looked pretty good playing without Shannon in this one.
They can't maintain that level. Domask was 11 for 15 from the field and 9 for 10 from the foul line. That isn't going to happen every night. The biggest player on their team is 6'10" so we should have two guys on the floor at all times bigger than everyone on the team. Our defense is too good to allow 70+ % FG shooting.

Domask was 1 for 6 from 3pt the game before against FDU. They will play fast, they will play hard, it won't be a rout by any means but they won't shoot 67% as a team like they did against Northwestern for sure.

This game will be all about rebounds and fouls. Illinois is a better rebounding team than we are, but we have better size. I still think Purdue wins because we are at Mackey. I'm not sure that is the case in Champaign.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Illinois is playing well without TSJ, I expect a difficult game. IMO it will come down to how we decide to guard the Coleman-Hawkins, if they are able to stretch out our defense it could be a difficult night, if we can get Coleman-Hawkins off the court with fouls we should be able to dictate play (I honestly think Edey will guard Rodgers with TKR on Coleman-Hawkins initially). Their guards do not concern me as I believe we have played multiple teams with strong physical guards and our guys have come out ready for it.

If we can limit turnovers and shoot our averages I feel comfortable saying this will be a win.

Boiler up my friends!

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT