ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Penn State (Game Thread)

Newman has portal written all over him. It's a shame because I really like Newman and thought he'd be more than a solid contributor by now.
I said this a few weeks ago, and most jumped up and down that it would not happen. But it seems inevitable as what Matt wants from Newman, he is consistently not getting.

Reactions: rjmpu82
I understand CMPs issues/frustrations with Newman, but to stick with IT/Hunter out there over him is just ridiculous...Newman has much higher ceiling than them.

I think railroading him off the roster is a bad move.
he's our 3rd best all around guard. All of the guards have defensive lapses, take ill advised shots, make lazy passes. Newman was part of the reason were better at the starting of the season

I understand CMPs issues/frustrations with Newman, but to stick with IT/Hunter out there over him is just ridiculous...Newman has much higher ceiling than them.

I think railroading him off the roster is a bad move.
Hunter’s minutes were down today as well, but I think that Painter is letting Hunter play through his slump because he believes that he will be needed this year. There was a stretch last year when Hunter was playing well, but he seemed to go into a slump in the latter part of the season that he still hasn’t come out of. That said, he has shown that he can be an excellent defender and a threat on offense.

Reactions: Schnelk
Cliff notes version of it ?

"Why no Brandon Newman today?"

CMP response:

"I just stayed with the other guys....more than anything, when you have ten, and we've kind of talked about it....with it.....I just stayed with Sasha more minutes.....and JI more minutes [nodding]."

Candid, as always, but it did seem to cause him a slight pause.

Just hope Brandon Newman stays with it - he'll get his opportunity if he still wants it. Be productive when you're in. CMP sometimes defers to guys that have been in the system longer - whether we agree with it or not.

Last edited:
"Why no Brandon Newman today?"

CMP response:

"I just stayed with the other guys....more than anything, when you have ten, and we've kind of talked about it....with it.....I just stayed with Sasha more minutes.....and JI more minutes [nodding]."

Candid, as always, but it did seem to cause him a slight pause.

Just hope Brandon Newman stays with it - he'll get his opportunity if he still wants it. Be productive when you're in. CMP sometimes defers to guys that have been in the system longer - whether we agree with it or not.
My follow-up would be "Okay, you have ten; why is Hunter one of the ten and not Newman? Is Eric really outplaying Brandon that much in practice?"

From the armchair, playing Hunter significant minutes seems indefensible. He is still too casual with the basketball, seems to be a liability on defense, and the offense stagnates when he is running point.

I am as big a CMP fan/apologist as there is, but this just doesn't compute.

My follow-up would be "Okay, you have ten; why is Hunter one of the ten and not Newman? Is Eric really outplaying Brandon that much in practice?"

From the armchair, playing Hunter significant minutes seems indefensible. He is still too casual with the basketball, seems to be a liability on defense, and the offense stagnates when he is running point.

I am as big a CMP fan/apologist as there is, but this just doesn't compute.
When IT and Hunter combine for 3 points and 2 assists, I don’t understand not giving Newman a shot.

Hunter should be getting 0 min. there is no O from him and opposing guard easily post up and shoot over him. One can argue he's actually a negative on results. At least Micah let his shooters play out of their funks which Newman is in. You got to let him play. I just hope he sticks around because next year we lose Sasha and Ivey and at this rate Newman is not getting any valuable PT which will hurt next years transition.
Don't forget we will lose Tre as well. Got some amazing players on the bench and more on the way. Losing those 3 are going to hurt though.

Hunter’s minutes were down today as well, but I think that Painter is letting Hunter play through his slump because he believes that he will be needed this year. There was a stretch last year when Hunter was playing well, but he seemed to go into a slump in the latter part of the season that he still hasn’t come out of. That said, he has shown that he can be an excellent defender and a threat on offense.
Hunters been playing thru a 2 year slump. When is it time to pull the plug on that experiment?

I’d distribute minutes as follows: Williams, Gillis, Sasha 25; Edey, Furst, Newman 15…..onto ball handlers: Ivey 30; Morton, IT, Hunter (in that order) 10 each. Adjust as necessary re fouls, matchups, hot, etc.

I hope this motivates Newman when he gets the chance. He will get a chance at some point. He hasn’t been the same since Sasha came back from Covid last year.

Reactions: Roeder
His slump? You mean the slump that has lasted for nearly two years now? That’s no slump.

Reactions: DAG10
he's our 3rd best all around guard. All of the guards have defensive lapses, take ill advised shots, make lazy passes. Newman was part of the reason were better at the starting of the season
A discernible double-standard if there is some sort of attempted justification for his not seeing the floor, as, it was seemingly crazy that he got 6 minutes only on Monday...to not even get off the bench just does not add up in any way at all...way more so when some guys continue to get them despite far worse transgressions or subpar performances.

No way. There were some good awful calls that impacted Purdue in a huge way. There are always bad calls that could affect a couple points here and there but some of these calls completely changed how Purdue could play. You are in denial if you disagree. Edey had two phantom calls and took him out of the game. The foul on Hunter where he didn’t get within 6” of the guy was terrible. Farrah probably had 4 moving picks that got you open. The blocking foul on sasha was a big swing. And Pickett pushed off several times.
My frustration is you almost expect these at home in the big ten but against wisconsin it was the opposite.
Says the person who is a fan of the team. You can find fans from either side saying the same exact things about the refs.

I have no comment on them, but there are people on the PSU boards complaining about the refs from the Penn State side.

It's called having a bias - we are all fans and inevitably hold a bias when it comes to officiating a game they are involved in... Even if it's a subconscious bias.

Complaining about the refs, claiming that one side got a lopsided number of bad calls against them is a loser's game.

They were bad on BOTH sides

@psu guy how would you rate your teams performance vs P? Did they play better vs IU and NW? Curious to know cuz I thought they played pretty well.

What claim have I made with goggles on? I said that the refs were bad on - both - sides
Making a general statement like this is completely overstated and your judgement clouded with your bias. The refs were not bad on both sides. Could they have called a foul on the late three and maybe a few other 50/50 calls? Probably but there are 50/50 calls every game and not calling them one teams way every time does not make them bad refs. The play you mention was also irrelevant to the outcome of the game. Some of the calls made against Purdue were (in footballs terms) incorrect beyond a reasonable doubt. They were not 50/50 calls and had a huge impact on how the game was played. I don’t blame the refs, In fact said I expect this at home but would like them to be consistent. But missed 50/50 calls are part of the game and I won’t blame it, but I sure will call out someone on this board who comes here with your nonsensical debate.

Reactions: Schnelk
@psu guy how would you rate your teams performance vs P? Did they play better vs IU and NW? Curious to know cuz I thought they played pretty well.
Overall, I thought that Micah had them ready and had a good game plan that they executed pretty well. The shots weren't falling from outside until the end, but I thought that PSU had a pretty solid performance - we have come a LONG way from when we were blown out by UMass at the beginning of the season. The in-season improvement that Jalanni White has shown is very encouraging for this staff. They have this team playing very well together for a program that lost 7(?) players to the portal.

I have seen enough Jaheem Cornwall for this season - he was a sniper at Gardner-Webb but can't hit the broadside of a barn at this level. Split his minutes between Sessoms and Dallion Johnson going forward.

Reactions: tenwest
I truly hate the extra years and considering PSU wasn’t making the tourney. No reason for him to get another year.
Sorry, but in 2020 PSU was ranked as high as #9, a shoe-in for the tournament. Possibly looking at 5 seed. That was Lamar Stevens senior year

Yeah not after losing 3 consecutive at the end. And either way the Super Senior shit is ruining sports.
There was 0 chance PSU wouldn't dance. The end isn't factored in any more important than any other time in the season. But anyway, water under the bridge. It is what it is. Harrar plays damn hard, which I can see why it could annoy other fanbases

There was 0 chance PSU wouldn't dance. The end isn't factored in any more important than any other time in the season. But anyway, water under the bridge. It is what it is. Harrar plays damn hard, which I can see why it could annoy other fanbases
Well hell only took him 5 years to matter. Jesus Christ. Trent Frazier too. Good good that was a terrible decision by the NCAA. How much longer before this goes away? After the class of 2025 is done?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT