ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Penn State (Game Thread)

Hard faught game. There were bad calls for both teams - Lundy was fouled on the 3 point attempt down 5 with a minute left, but no call... For example.

Refs did not play a part in this one. It was just a hard faught game. Congrats on the win.
What are you smoking? They were absolutely terrible

Foul #2 on Edey was horrendous and should have the official terminated for cause. Period
We could go back and forth about this all day. For example, there should have been a foul called on Travion when he got an offensive rebound off of a missed free throw towards the end. He shoved Harrar in the back to get to the ball. Missed calls happen often, on both sides, but our goggles typically only allow us to see bad calls against our team.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just saying these refs were not one-sided in this one and we're a moot point bc of it

Ivey should have been an and 1 on his drive. They were not calling little touch fouls against PSu. Nice try though
On the possession right before that a foul should have been called on Lundy's three, but it was not called. As I said, this stuff happens on both sides. It's not a big deal

They are like 5/6 on threes this half. What happened to our defense? First half we played great defense. They can't miss right now. Which is how we always lose.
Not sure they didn't have better looks the first half and just missed them. They hit some last second defended shots the second half and they don't hit those and it isn't so close

Not sure they didn't have better looks the first half and just missed them. They hit some last second defended shots the second half and they don't hit those and it isn't so close
No. Most of the shots in the first half were well defended. They made so many shot clock buzzer beaters. It was ridiculous.

We could go back and forth about this all day. For example, there should have been a foul called on Travion when he got an offensive rebound off of a missed free throw towards the end. He shoved Harrar in the back to get to the ball. Missed calls happen often, on both sides, but our goggles typically only allow us to see bad calls against our team.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just saying these refs were not one-sided in this one and we're a moot point bc of it
Harrar was flopping all day. It’s was sickening and gross.

No. Most of the shots in the first half were well defended. They made so many shot clock buzzer beaters. It was ridiculous.
They went 1/9 first half. I doubt Micah wanted them shooting 9 contested shots. They had some open looks that Micah even noticed and commented on at half to "keep shooting they will start to fall". In the second half out of their hotstreak they hit maybe 5/6 at one point and at least two of those were last second contested shots. Still, if you thought the 3 ball defense was better in the first half...that is fine...I have no particular interest in this and you could be correct

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Pretty meh win. We really haven't looked great in a while. Trying to put my finger on it, but not really getting anything offensively out of the trio of Hunter/Thompson/Newman is probably a likely cause.
Newman didn’t even get a chance to give anything offensively today. Something going on there and it doesn’t seem good.

I think Penn State got the usual B1G home court officiating advantage, no better or worse than what we normally get at Mackey.

Still plenty to work on (including getting back to having control of the glass), but the defense was definitely better than Monday night. I liked Jaden Ivey's composure today - much more under control on both ends - a couple of ill-advised three's perhaps, but you live with some of those. 37 minutes for him, and 39 for Sasha Stefanovic.

Next five:

@ Michigan
Nebraska
@ Illinois
@ IU
Northwestern

All can be won, but any of them can be dropped as well.....need to get some more consistency......loved seeing Mason Gillis get selectively aggressive and knock down some shots - that will open things up. Also hoping Brandon Newman can find his way back to the line-up.....still need that production in some of these tough times.

It's an early afternoon game on the road, this Saturday as the #3-ranked Purdue Boilermakers travel to Happy Valley to take on the Penn State Nittany Lions in another key conference game. Tip coming up @ noon (Eastern) with television coverage on the Big Ten Network. The Boilers, who will drop in the rankings come Monday, are coming off a home loss to Wisconsin earlier this week and stand at a disappointing 1-2 in conference play. Penn State is 2-2, having won its last two after a three-game cancellation stretch due to COVID concerns.

If the Boilers are going to get back in the thick of the conference race, they'll need to get back on track with playing better/smarter basketball, starting today. During conference play, Purdue's shooting has been down, and the defense has been inconsistent at best. Former Purdue assistant, Micah Shrewsberry, coaches Penn State, and you can expect that he'll have part of his strategy ready to probe/exploit Purdue's shortcomings. On the court, the Niitany Lions have been anchored by Seth Lundy and John Harrar, who have combined to score 25.6 points per contest. Harrar can be a force on the glass if the Boilers aren't focused on him.

I expect this to be another spirited and competitive game - Penn State will battle, and the Boilers better be ready to match that intensity on both ends of the floor. I'd like to see Jaden Ivey get back to what he was doing earlier in the season with decision making in transition. Can Sasha Stefanovic have a break-out game away from Mackey? Can the Boilers get better production from the bench other than from the center position? Can Purdue get some momentum from its defensive effort today? Will Ethan Morton continue to get more playing time? A lot of questions, and hopefully the Boilers have some good answers.

It's still early January, but another loss today, and the season starts to unravel a little bit. Now, Purdue has won the last three games played at the Bryce Jordan Center. Can the Boilers make it four straight and get back to .500 in conference play? We shall see......

Boiler up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i
What I particularly liked about this game was the start.
1) Purdue didn't have teh jitters to quickly shoot...everything was smoother and the shots were better.
2) You can't give up wide open 3's to start a game, but I really liked it not being the focus. There were some post feeds and drives before Sasha took his first wide open 3
3) I think Purdue played harder on D overall for a longer period of time. There was much more effort and intensity on D
4) The athletic ability that Jaden has is the sword that cuts both ways in that he depends too much on his athletic ability and not enough on position since he gets out of position more than he should. He also leaves his feet too much trying to block things rather than using position or jumping up and then deciding what he is going to do as far as passing. Give him credit on a good swipe off lundy there at the end. An elite athlete that could use a bit more fundamentals...as could many athletes.
5) I think Purdue played with some grit today and so I saw improvement in intensity, effort and alertness. Purdue took a step forward as well as a few hard punches by PSU.

I'm sure I hold a philosopical difference that most, if not all on the forum hold. I DO NOT want Purdue playing the best at this time. I want Purdue to win and I would like those being 10 pt wins, but I want this team stressed, uncomfortable and winning on grit and grind for now. I do not know as does anyone else why Brandon did not play, but a poster said he seemed okay on the bench. This team is evolving and players are evolving...Ethan being one that is getting a lot more minutes. Many would like to see Jaden handling the ball more with shooters at the 2 and 3 spot. The season is not over, this just might something getting some time in practice that finds the court later in the season. I also suspect that Matt has some minutes with Trevion and Zach together. I don't think Purdue will see this in most games, but it may be an option for a special situation outside of Trevion passing to Zach. There are times it may be needed and hopefully Matt has that as an option going forward.

Whereas fans see what they think is the best "now" lineup, Matt may be taking a longer range approach. I feel pretty good about this win. I saw some improvement discipline, desire, determination and dedication that has been missing for a long while. Let's hope the next step is another big forward step...unless Michigan cancels the game . I know last year they were cancelling a lot of games it seemed...

Yeah something has to be going on there. Hunter gives us nothing. At least IT can makes 3's. Hunters minutes needs to go to Morton.
Everyone else not named Gillis was 6-20 from 3 and Hunter, Thompson, and Morton were a combined 1-8 from the field (IT 1-4 from 3). Sasha was 5-12. Most nights in the big ten, that’s just not going to cut it.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Still plenty to work on (including getting back to having control of the glass), but the defense was definitely better than Monday night. I liked Jaden Ivey's composure today - much more under control on both ends - a couple of ill-advised three's perhaps, but you live with some of those. 37 minutes for him, and 39 for Sasha Stefanovic.

Next five:

@ Michigan
Nebraska
@ Illinois
@ IU
Northwestern

All can be won, but any of them can be dropped as well.....need to get some more consistency......loved seeing Mason Gillis get selectively aggressive and knock down some shots - that will open things up. Also hoping Brandon Newman can find his way back to the line-up.....still need that production in some of these tough times.
Jaden still has some fundamental lapses where he loses focus on his man and jumps up and then looks to pass. He is an elite athlete though...

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I think Penn State got the usual B1G home court officiating advantage, no better or worse than what we normally get at Mackey.
I don't think it was a lot of differences as you suggest, but that the huge difference was in Trevion and Zach. In the 40 or so games they have played together can you recall both being in foul trouble early. If those fouls are given to someone else, the game spread is probably much larger and so the concentration of fouls on the bigs that rarely are in foul trouble was huge.

Everyone else not named Gillis was 6-20 from 3 and Hunter, Thompson, and Morton were a combined 1-8 from the field (IT 1-4 from 3). Sasha was 5-12. Most nights in the big ten, that’s just not going to cut it.
I think that this is the wrong thing to complain about. If Purdue hits 37.5% from 3 on an off day, that’s saying something.

I think that this is the wrong thing to complain about. If Purdue hits 37.5% from 3 on an off day, that’s saying something.
The point I’m trying to make is that the guards (if not able to drive and create apparently) have to at least be a threat or able to knock down open looks otherwise the opponent will help off of them or leave them open to crash the boards. It’s not just been an off day, seems like it’s been more of an off month on the perimeter.

Newman didn’t even get a chance to give anything offensively today. Something going on there and it doesn’t seem good.
I think it’s about earning Painter’s trust. What is hard to see is how Painter instructs the team to guard specific situations and if one player is not following the instructions, I think it makes everyone look bad.

A player who takes a lot of heat on this board is IT and most here would rather Newman get minutes than IT, but IT clearly has Painter’s trust. It is easy to see the plays where IT looks overmatched, but Purdue plays better as a team when IT is on the court and I think it’s largely because he does what he is coached to do. He has been great in +- all year including +30 in the two games this week. I don’t think that’s by accident.

The point I’m trying to make is that the guards (if not able to drive and create apparently) have to at least be a threat or able to knock down open looks otherwise the opponent will help off of them or leave them open to crash the boards. It’s not just been an off day, seems like it’s been more of an off month on the perimeter.
I agree with that, but Hunter is really the only one that defenses are not treating as a threat. Newman isn’t playing. IT and Sasha are guarded very closely all the time and it opens up the offense for others.

They were bad, but on both sides. They were consistent in their bad calls
No way. There were some good awful calls that impacted Purdue in a huge way. There are always bad calls that could affect a couple points here and there but some of these calls completely changed how Purdue could play. You are in denial if you disagree. Edey had two phantom calls and took him out of the game. The foul on Hunter where he didn’t get within 6” of the guy was terrible. Farrah probably had 4 moving picks that got you open. The blocking foul on sasha was a big swing. And Pickett pushed off several times.
My frustration is you almost expect these at home in the big ten but against wisconsin it was the opposite.

Yeah something has to be going on there. Hunter gives us nothing. At least IT can makes 3's. Hunters minutes needs to go to Morton.
Hunter should be getting 0 min. there is no O from him and opposing guard easily post up and shoot over him. One can argue he's actually a negative on results. At least Micah let his shooters play out of their funks which Newman is in. You got to let him play. I just hope he sticks around because next year we lose Sasha and Ivey and at this rate Newman is not getting any valuable PT which will hurt next years transition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT