ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Miami (ACC/Big Ten Challenge) Game Thread

Man, I hope you're wrong. I feel the same but want so much more. I just want to believe we can consistently be a MSU type of winning program. I don't want to be a dirty program but to win and have teams fear us.

It's better than that.

We have their respect. And, as the winningest program in the B1G, that means something.

I understand your perspective....it's frustrating to watch at times. Maybe CMP's thinking for the long haul that these guys need to figure some things out themselves and play through adversity...I don't know.....would be interesting to hear his post-game comments on that. When they got it back to 15 up after Miami's initial burst in the second half, I thought they had weathered it. Wrong.
I would buy that way more if it had not happened as many times as it has...it has happened multiple times though, to the point that it is genuinely concerning.

I can even buy in somewhat to the idea of letting guys play through some things and play through adversity, but, it is the wrong guys that are being allowed to play...guys that have been there and allegedly done that already but still are playing (and failing) should not be the guys playing...Stefanovic and Wheeler in particular simply can't play the minutes that they did today with the complete ineptitude with which they did...neither of those guys should be starting, much less playing the minutes that they are, and, no way either should be "playing through adversity"...especially in that they largely created the adversity. Williams has not been good at all to date, and, disappointed again today. Those guys have had time to learn and play through tough times, etc., and, they still are not capable of overcoming it...to the point that they should not be on the floor during those times, and, should be sacrificing minutes at this point to the guys that are legitimately part of the future of this program. Those guys (at least in Sasha's and Trevion's case) can still contribute in roles, but, neither guy is a guy that should be getting minutes at this point ahead of the guys that they are...there is no bigger joke than the idea of Trevion entertaining leaving early...and, Sasha is as one-dimensional a player as there is, and that is only in games at Mackey (yet, that is one dimension more than Wheeler). How Wheeler plays is beyond me...how he starts is mind boggling.

It is what it is...another debacle...but, if it truly was a learning experience (yet another one in that there have been many in the last year and thus far this year...I thought the Clemson loss was a learning lesson/opportunity...or the near awful loss to Valpo just a few days ago), let the lesson learned be that some guys that are playing a lot (and way too much) and that are supposed to be cornerstones, are simply NOT...and, move on from it in that they have had three years now and still can't do what they are supposed to...move on to the younger guys, treat this season as they seemingly have alleged in it being a "different" year, a year in which nobody is losing eligibility, and, play the young guys, take some lumps, but, truly learn and gain and be better a year from now and moving forward.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
I know nothing about basketball . however, I was a math major and I know a lot about stats. I know a zero when I see one. Purdue had 2 starters with zero points having not made a single shot or free throw. You don't win games if your starters don't score points. Purdue had three players foul out. usually that means they were playing out of position or they lost control of their emotions. i read somebody say Miami was not playing with it's best players.

Somebody a couple of weeks ago asked if the non-conference games were important. My answer was yes because every conference game will be a battle this year, and if the Boilers have any hopes of making the dance, or even finishing above .500, they must find wins in their non-conference games.

We almost lost to Valpo. And we lost to mediocre teams Clemson and Miami. This is not a good sign. Yes, we're experimenting with player combos. but so is our opposition. and they found the right one.

I believe in painter, but i never believed in his motion offense. We have too many guys looking to pass to somebody who then misses. We DONT have that floor general on the court, and with the motion offense, we never will. Playing SLOW ball allows the other team to stay close and make end of game runs.

before the game there was discussion about IT and Morton. I'm not sure where either player was tonight.

Wheeler put in another typical Wheeler night. I cannot for the life of me understand what anybody on this board sees in him and continues to defend him. His best games came when we went to China. several years ago. I honestly believe the move of the 3 point line last year has affected his shooting ability.

I believe a certain player read too many press clippings, and forgot what got him those pre-season accolades. maybe he misses Haarms more than we know.

But most of all, like many have said, I am not seeing a go to guy that you can depend on to put the team on their back or stop the run, or make the clutch shot. it looks like they all want to support somebody else too much, and nobody wants to be the selfish alpha dog. we have too many support and role players and no chief.

and when I make a comment, I don't use the small data of 4-5 games. I'm including the play of these players from last year as well.

and yes, I'm sick of people using the we're a young, inexperienced team as an excuse. Other teams are starting and have started freshmen and have been very successful. In basketball, talent usually beats experience. There are exceptions . and those exceptions are when your experienced players are also talented. I doubt that will be the case for Sasha, IT or Wheeler. I hope, I'm wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT