ADVERTISEMENT

Possible Academic Casualties?

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
I know that Brohm has mentioned that there possibly could be a couple of academic casualties in one of his recent conferences. Of course, that won't be known yet, because the semester does not end until Saturday.

I have been hearing some rumors, key word here is rumors, that Wright could possibly be one. Has anyone else heard that?

If that would be the case, does that mean that he would be out of the Bowl game too? I am assuming he would not be able to go through Spring practices either.

I am hoping this is just a rumor that is not true, because I am really expecting him to be our #1, or one of the top, WR options next year.

I'm concerned with this as well. I get it some guys struggle in the classroom. However, Wright would seem like the type of guy that wouldn't let bad grades get in the way of his dreams. Prime opportunity awaits.

Hopefully, just a rumor

Reactions: BSIT and tenwest
in the past , if players were having a difficult time academically, they could find a few classes to take online or during the semester break to beef up their academic standing and requirements. those that really wanted to be at purdue and play for purdue found a way. and unfortunately, there were many who just said F it and quit alltogether. I was once a college tutor at Auburn. and no, i didn't take any tests for students or write papers for them. But i helped many get a C, and they were happy.

as i said, if the player wants to maintain his academic standing, there are many ways and many people who can help him. But he must be willing to take the initiative. and either ask for help, or apply himself academically.

Reactions: Purdue85
Hope that’s not true. I haven’t seen or heard but wonder if there’s just speculation for us grabbing a couple transfer WRs. But if it’s going to be a starter I’d rather it be a WR where we have great depth.

I know that Brohm has mentioned that there possibly could be a couple of academic casualties in one of his recent conferences. Of course, that won't be known yet, because the semester does not end until Saturday.

I have been hearing some rumors, key word here is rumors, that Wright could possibly be one. Has anyone else heard that?

If that would be the case, does that mean that he would be out of the Bowl game too? I am assuming he would not be able to go through Spring practices either.

I am hoping this is just a rumor that is not true, because I am really expecting him to be our #1, or one of the top, WR options next year.
  • Been hearing hints as well. Not Wright per se, but academic casualties.
  • Hear another hint may happen today at 4:30 pm as well. Not saying cause I really don't know enough details and I'm not a KHC member. Could be a coup though...stay tuned!

I know Cooper is not signing until the Spring.

Do we still have a shot with getting him to switch over to us from IU?

Reactions: NEBoiler

Heard the same...and, Wright's name was notably absent in Brohm's speaking about WRs and the Bowl Game.

Reactions: pboiler18
in the past , if players were having a difficult time academically, they could find a few classes to take online or during the semester break to beef up their academic standing and requirements. those that really wanted to be at purdue and play for purdue found a way. and unfortunately, there were many who just said F it and quit alltogether. I was once a college tutor at Auburn. and no, i didn't take any tests for students or write papers for them. But i helped many get a C, and they were happy.

as i said, if the player wants to maintain his academic standing, there are many ways and many people who can help him. But he must be willing to take the initiative. and either ask for help, or apply himself academically.
folks, that last sentence right there is life, in a nutshell...

Reactions: DAG10 and Wolegib
There's no excuse for losing eligibility due to grades considering the resources at the kids' disposal. I had Anthony Spencer in a class I TA'd at Purdue. You could tell he made full use of the academic support the school gave athletes. The guy was obviously an NFL talent but he showed up to class, participated as much as anyone else, and did all of his work. As much as college football is the minor leagues for the NFL, it still takes a little "want to" to take care of responsibilities.

There's no excuse for losing eligibility due to grades considering the resources at the kids' disposal. I had Anthony Spencer in a class I TA'd at Purdue. You could tell he made full use of the academic support the school gave athletes. The guy was obviously an NFL talent but he showed up to class, participated as much as anyone else, and did all of his work. As much as college football is the minor leagues for the NFL, it still takes a little "want to" to take care of responsibilities.
Again don’t assume... he had personal issues this year going on that may have made it difficult or impossible to even use those resources.

let’s not jump to conclusions on Milton. It was reported earlier in the semester he was dealing with some personal off field issues.

Again don’t assume... he had personal issues this year going on that may have made it difficult or impossible to even use those resources.
Yup.

IF he has to sit out, let's support Milton on getting back on track. He's so close to the NFL imo. He just needs that 1 good last year of being the guy. Hell, with his speed he may even go higher than Bell...provided he has a spectacular year which he certainly will have the opportunity.

It’s safe to jump
omigosh... this came to mind:

iu

I love hearing that, but note this quote today during one of the bowl games about Coach Kelley: "Now he won't have some of the recruiting limitations that he's had." ND? Recruiting limitations? Really? That's code for only one thing; he can now recruit the highly gifted mouth breathers that would struggle with 5 grade courses that ND can still offer it's football players. It's hurts to hear that, but it lets you know there is a significant amount of athletes that can't do college work. Purdue, to it's credit, still says they have to, but if they don't have the drive, we are gonna lose them. If you've read "Not Your Average Joe" about Tiller, there's a great part in there about a guy who came in reading at a 5th grade level. They worked with him, but HE put in the extra time & effort, and to his credit, graduated. I would hope that's the kind of guy we look for, but I suspect it's kept some talented players out of the Old G9ld and Black as well.

Reactions: DAG10 and TMFT
I love hearing that, but note this quote today during one of the bowl games about Coach Kelley: "Now he won't have some of the recruiting limitations that he's had." ND? Recruiting limitations? Really? That's code for only one thing; he can now recruit the highly gifted mouth breathers that would struggle with 5 grade courses that ND can still offer it's football players. It's hurts to hear that, but it lets you know there is a significant amount of athletes that can't do college work. Purdue, to it's credit, still says they have to, but if they don't have the drive, we are gonna lose them. If you've read "Not Your Average Joe" about Tiller, there's a great part in there about a guy who came in reading at a 5th grade level. They worked with him, but HE put in the extra time & effort, and to his credit, graduated. I would hope that's the kind of guy we look for, but I suspect it's kept some talented players out of the Old G9ld and Black as well.
Im not sure you have to be able to read to get into LSU.

While you’re bashing other schools. …………“ came in reading at a 5th grade level” doesn’t speak well of our Admissions Dept.

While you’re bashing other schools. …………“ came in reading at a 5th grade level” doesn’t speak well of our Admissions Dept.
Perhaps he had a learning disorder. There are exceptions made for, and resources available to, students at most universities who have issues such as dyslexia, etc. The accessibility requirements that apply to people who may be blind, deaf, or have other physical limitations also apply to those with many learning disorders.

Perhaps he had a learning disorder. There are exceptions made for, and resources available to, students at most universities who have issues such as dyslexia, etc. The accessibility requirements that apply to people who may be blind, deaf, or have other physical limitations also apply to those with many learning disorders.
You’re reaching….

Purdue has always had a reputation of "You can get in, but there's no guarantee you'll stay." (heck, I'm probably living proof of that statement). It's one of the unique things about it. As for the example I used, he came in at that level, but he was never going to graduate. Hence the work by Tiller and staff to help him over the hump, and the young man's own drive to get there. If you read the book (and heard Tiller talk about it) the player had to put in one hour where a regular student could put in ten minutes. He sweated out his learning as much as he did his athletic career. Compare that to the Alabama DE a few years ago who couldn't play HS football because his grades didn't qualify under Alabama education requirements, yet he played 3 years for the Tide until they could no longer keep him eligible.

Exactly whom are you referencing?

My Neighbor was Tony Rice's tutor at Notre Dame. For the younger guys, Tony was their QB on a National championship team. Tony was in their introductory freshman accounting class, call it 101 or whatever, the first class. Talking to my friend he had no business being in college, he really didn't have the capacity to learn or understand the material. He showed up, worked hard, nice kid, applied himself but just couldn't grasp the course material. Amazingly got a C on the final which my friend said was impossible. He believes there was a few at most major programs prior to prop 48. I was told our Jimmy Smith fell into this category.

WD

Reactions: Tommaker
Someone who I knew that was an athlete at ND told me the tests would get dropped off at some of the athletes dorms the night before the exams as “study materials.”
My Neighbor was Tony Rice's tutor at Notre Dame. For the younger guys, Tony was their QB on a National championship team. Tony was in their introductory freshman accounting class, call it 101 or whatever, the first class. Talking to my friend he had no business being in college, he really didn't have the capacity to learn or understand the material. He showed up, worked hard, nice kid, applied himself but just couldn't grasp the course material. Amazingly got a C on the final which my friend said was impossible. He believes there was a few at most major programs prior to prop 48. I was told our Jimmy Smith fell into this category.

WD

Someone who I knew that was an athlete at ND told me the tests would get dropped off at some of the athletes dorms the night before the exams as “study materials.”
The impression I got was Tony could have the test for a month and wouldn't know what to do unless he found someone else to help.

WD

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT