ADVERTISEMENT

B1G SEC

Dec 14, 2023
What kind of things would this “alliance“ accomplish?

Correct me if I am wrong. In the SEC, for the Spring transfer portal, SEC players can not transfer to another SEC school. Which would not be a big deal, since they can transfer to B1G, ACC, Big 12 and other non SEC conference schools.

But if B1G and SEC would come up with an agreement that in Spring portal, B1G and SEC transfers could not transfer to another B1G or SEC schools, this would be a big deal. Would help its schools keep its roster in tact. Thoughts?

Correct me if I am wrong. In the SEC, for the Spring transfer portal, SEC players can not transfer to another SEC school. Which would not be a big deal, since they can transfer to B1G, ACC, Big 12 and other non SEC conference schools.

But if B1G and SEC would come up with an agreement that in Spring portal, B1G and SEC transfers could not transfer to another B1G or SEC schools, this would be a big deal. Would help its schools keep its roster in tact. Thoughts?
Even with the loss of guys like Scourton and Burks, over the years the portal has been kinder to us than it has been crude in my opinion. Any rule created to halt free transfers will ultimately be repealed I feel.

I think a rule like this would help the big boys and we’d only lose guys to the portal instead of gain.

The portal taketh…but it’s also giveth! It’s also allowed us to cycle guys off the roster who ended up not being P5 recruits and had allowed us to take in guys who could at least be contributors. I think MOST fans would agree the portal has been a net positive for us and can continue to be with solid recruiting and better on field coaching.

Even with the loss of guys like Scourton and Burks, over the years the portal has been kinder to us than it has been crude in my opinion. Any rule created to halt free transfers will ultimately be repealed I feel.

I think a rule like this would help the big boys and we’d only lose guys to the portal instead of gain.

The portal taketh…but it’s also giveth! It’s also allowed us to cycle guys off the roster who ended up not being P5 recruits and had allowed us to take in guys who could at least be contributors. I think MOST fans would agree the portal has been a net positive for us and can continue to be with solid recruiting and better on field coaching.
I agree that the portal has been a net positive for Purdue. While we've lost a couple of key contributors, we've been able to fortify ourselves in other ways (and to cut ties with players who were unlikely to contribute).

I also like that the portal protects player freedom. It's *their* work that makes college sports what it is, and they deserve the right to cash in while they can.

I think that would get smashed in court.

I agree that the portal has been a net positive for Purdue. While we've lost a couple of key contributors, we've been able to fortify ourselves in other ways (and to cut ties with players who were unlikely to contribute).

I also like that the portal protects player freedom. It's *their* work that makes college sports what it is, and they deserve the right to cash in while they can.
One long term issue I see, is that there is now much less incentive to develop players. Why invest 2+ years in a player when the 2 most likely results are :

a) they never develop into a good player

B) they do develop and then transfer after 1 year of contributing

…when you can just poach a proven player from a lower tier program?

I think that would get smashed in court.
Maybe you are right. I do not know all of the intricacies of Antitrust law.

Spring portal policy already exist in the SEC. And the policy is governed by conferences and not the NCAA. And since there are other conferences, how could the court smash this using Antitrust law.

In one hand conferences wants the NCAA as a shield from liabilities, but as a conference, SEC and B1G can set their own policies.

Curious where this leads in terms of B1G and SEC.

Agree with you. C Walters brought in good players through the portal and they should contribute this coming year.

And the portal distributes the talent and prevents the big boys from hoarding players in their depth.

Maybe you are right. I do not know all of the intricacies of Antitrust law.

Spring portal policy already exist in the SEC. And the policy is governed by conferences and not the NCAA. And since there are other conferences, how could the court smash this using Antitrust law.

In one hand conferences wants the NCAA as a shield from liabilities, but as a conference, SEC and B1G can set their own policies.

Curious where this leads in terms of B1G and SEC.
There are quite a few lawsuits floating around, some class action, related to restrictions on NIL. You could argue this is an unlawful restriction on NIL. I'm not a lawyer, but I could see athletes challenging it.

One long term issue I see, is that there is now much less incentive to develop players. Why invest 2+ years in a player when the 2 most likely results are :

a) they never develop into a good player

B) they do develop and then transfer after 1 year of contributing

…when you can just poach a proven player from a lower tier program?
You have to do it all... develop HS players, poach proven players from lower tiers, plus develop non contributors from high level programs.

I'm not envious of that job, tbh.

You have to do it all... develop HS players, poach proven players from lower tiers, plus develop non contributors from high level programs.

I'm not envious of that job, tbh.
I’d mostly scrap the development of raw prospects, and just recruit ready-made college and HS players. With a few exceptions made for legacy type kids of course.

It seems the only way to prevent players from going to the portal would be some sort of contract between a player and the school. No idea what that would look like.

It seems the only way to prevent players from going to the portal would be some sort of contract between a player and the school. No idea what that would look like.
That would be Interesting…we’ll pay you X to stick around for Y years. Or we’ll only offer you if you stay this long.

Would likely get struck down too but I do think schools need some protection here. The kids are the labor but these schools have invested tons to make sure that labor is well taken care of AND educated (theoretically)

I must be in the minority that I think it has hurt us more than helped. Losing our two best playmakers and gaining guys to fill holes mostly opens up by others leaving is a net loss IMO. I don’t expect any of the guys we picked up will reach the abilities of the guys we lost. I think the OLine, backup RB, and secondary got better but every other position group was a net loss. Think about it like baseball and WAR. You lose two guys with 5.0 WAR and replacing with some 0.0 and maybe a couple 1.0s.

I must be in the minority that I think it has hurt us more than helped. Losing our two best playmakers and gaining guys to fill holes mostly opens up by others leaving is a net loss IMO. I don’t expect any of the guys we picked up will reach the abilities of the guys we lost. I think the OLine, backup RB, and secondary got better but every other position group was a net loss. Think about it like baseball and WAR. You lose two guys with 5.0 WAR and replacing with some 0.0 and maybe a couple 1.0s.
I think WR, DB, OL and RB got better. Hopefully QB gets better because of those improvements.

OLB got worse. Cant replace Scourton easily.

TE and DL are a wash. I wish we had a healthy Miller, but the young guys are good.

Deion was fast but too short for the outside and didn't enough wiggle for the slot. Yaseen was solid but hurt all the time. Sheffield committed to MSU but didn't make the roster there and hasn't committed anywhere else. Maybe off field issues?

Overall, we got better on paper. However, the coaches still need to do something with the talent. I do have confidence in that though.

I’d mostly scrap the development of raw prospects, and just recruit ready-made college and HS players. With a few exceptions made for legacy type kids of course.
I'm fine with that. The Mockobees and the O'Connell would have to cut their teeth in the lower levels then transfer up.

If the B1G-SEC League (AFC and NFC parallels anyone?) gets big enough, they can just cut ties with the NCAA and change the rules themselves. NIL caps, transfer limits and conditions could all be on the table.

That would be Interesting…we’ll pay you X to stick around for Y years. Or we’ll only offer you if you stay this long.

Would likely get struck down too but I do think schools need some protection here. The kids are the labor but these schools have invested tons to make sure that labor is well taken care of AND educated (theoretically)
if they want to be pros… professional football players sign contracts. Then if TAMU wants a player under contract, the player has to agree, and TAMU pays Purdue a transfer fee, just like Soccer.

I think WR, DB, OL and RB got better. Hopefully QB gets better because of those improvements.

OLB got worse. Cant replace Scourton easily.

TE and DL are a wash. I wish we had a healthy Miller, but the young guys are good.

Deion was fast but too short for the outside and didn't enough wiggle for the slot. Yaseen was solid but hurt all the time. Sheffield committed to MSU but didn't make the roster there and hasn't committed anywhere else. Maybe off field issues?

Overall, we got better on paper. However, the coaches still need to do something with the talent. I do have confidence in that though.
Te we didn’t get anyone and lost Miller?

WR we brought in potential but very little productivity. Bunch of lottery tickets.

Te we didn’t get anyone and lost Miller?

WR we brought in potential but very little productivity. Bunch of lottery tickets.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

But the concensus out there is talent has been upgraded across the board. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone with a credible platform that agrees with your assessment that the entire transfer portal season was a net loss for Purdue.

You are.

Madden from UGA is the perfect fit for what the coach wants out of our OLBs. He’s not the prospect that Scourton is but he fits the scheme better and is a very good player in his own right. I know plenty of ppl involved in HS football here in GA and everybody was sad to see him leave the state but also said they are glad he will play and he’ll be very good.

Nyland Green is maybe the best CB prospect we’ve ever had on campus. Lots of untapped potential there.

The 2 WRs form UGA should play a lot too.

And that’s just 4 kids we got from 1 school.

I’ll say it…Walters did a hell of a job getting these guys here. Guys who fit the philosophy on both sides of the ball, are high caliber athletes and students and guys who know football.

Now, what does he do with them on the field? That’s where he has to earn his keep. Another bad year and the fans will turn, the stands will empty and we’ll lose the opportunity to sell progress to kids like this.

You are.

Madden from UGA is the perfect fit for what the coach wants out of our OLBs. He’s not the prospect that Scourton is but he fits the scheme better and is a very good player in his own right. I know plenty of ppl involved in HS football here in GA and everybody was sad to see him leave the state but also said they are glad he will play and he’ll be very good.

Nyland Green is maybe the best CB prospect we’ve ever had on campus. Lots of untapped potential there.

I’ll say it…Walters did a hell of a job getting these guys here. Guys who fit the philosophy on both sides of the ball, are high caliber athletes and students and guys who know football.

Now, what does he do with them on the field? That’s where he has to earn his keep. Another bad year and the fans will turn, the stands will empty and we’ll lose the opportunity to sell progress to kids like this.
Rare time I actually agree with pboiler18.

Reactions: pboiler18
You are.

Agree. it's not just about talent but also fit. It's time to see what Walters can do with players that fit his system.

Scourton is probably the only player I think we'll miss.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Agree. it's not just about talent but also fit. It's time to see what Walters can do with players that fit his system.

Scourton is a hell of a pro prospect and a likely first rounder wherever he goes.

That said, he’ll miss being in a 5 man front where his sole job was to go inflict chaos in the backfield.

Scourton and Jenkins production drastically improved under C Walters than they did Brohm‘s last year. (Same could be said of Burks)

Stands to reason other players will step up and show growth under C Walters.

As pboiler18 said, CJ Madden might play the OLB position better than Scourton in C Walters scheme.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT