ADVERTISEMENT

Possible Academic Casualties?

Maybe. Maybe not. But the facts stated in my earlier reply are just that — facts.

The only way to know if this is a reach or not is to know the specific situation of the particular player that was mentioned, and none of us know that.
The context in which the poster stated it wasn’t as if the kid was mentally impaired, it was that he just never learned to read well. It was a jab at schools who let these kinds of players in. Keep up.

Just to weigh in my step brother was an athletic tutor for Ohio State, and there were football players who were for all purposes illiterate.

Reactions: pboiler18
There are many schools that have the philosophy that an athlete who flunks out is still eligible to play in all Bowl games because they believe he doesn’t lose his eligibility until the first day of the next semester.

Just to weigh in my step brother was an athletic tutor for Ohio State, and there were football players who were for all purposes illiterate.

During the Tiller era there was a juco recruit. He showed up in the summer and was gone, to an east coast school, before the semester started because he was illiterate. He couldn't read, but he had a juca degree!

• Wow
Reactions: Tommaker
The context in which the poster stated it wasn’t as if the kid was mentally impaired, it was that he just never learned to read well. It was a jab at schools who let these kinds of players in. Keep up.
The lead post mentioned only academic casualties and struggling in the classroom. Pretty certain there were no "topic diversion violations," just an inability for some to actually see the entire picture for full context and/or think outside of a narrow line of reasoning. Keep up, indeed.

Last edited:
The lead post mentioned only academic casualties and struggling in the classroom. Pretty certain there were no "topic diversion violations," just an inability for some to actually see the entire picture for full context and/or think outside of a narrow line of reasoning. Keep up, indeed.
Tell me anywhere in Tomakers post that you believe he implied he was referencing a kid with a mental disorder rather than a kid who didn’t take academics seriously. Again, I can tell you what he meant and how he meant it, I can’t help you understand it though. Keep up.

Last edited:
Katzenmoyer flunked out of "walking" & "AIDS awareness" and Reggie Germany finishing with a 0.0 GPA his last semester there are the ones that stick out in my mind.
Purdue had a 0.0 in the last 5 years

Purdue had a 0.0 in the last 5 years
Ugh. Not saying we're Saints, but you'd be hard-pressed to find another program that has flunked out two of it's top players in FB and basketball prior to the start of the season. And I assume the individual you're talking about wasn't playing long after that GPA revelation?

Tell me anywhere in Tomakers post that you believe he implied he was referencing a kid with a mental disorder rather than a kid who didn’t take academics seriously. Again, I can tell you what he meant and how he meant it, I can’t help you understand it though. Keep up.
Actually, KentuckyBoiler’s was the first post in this thread. If you go to the very top of the first page you will find it (intentional sarcasm). And if you reread my prior comment, you may be able to understand that it is that post that I was referencing.

Tunnel vision will get you nowhere on this board or in life in general. If you are unable of thinking outside of a single line of thought, then I, and likely others in your life, am wasting my time trying to educate you. And time is the most valuable resource that any of us have.

Thus, I have leveraged the ignore function to add you to the list with boileruprobert, bcfanatic, coach geez, et al. Not a group whose reputations on this board and among this community are viewed favorably.

I have found that thie ignore function allows me to focus my limited time on posts that actually are enjoyable, informed, valuable, insightful, etc. Yours don’t meet these low threshold qualifications.

I do wish you well. Much joy is available in life if we simply allow it to enter our lives with open minds and hearts.

Last edited:
Ugh. Not saying we're Saints, but you'd be hard-pressed to find another program that has flunked out two of it's top players in FB and basketball prior to the start of the season. And I assume the individual you're talking about wasn't playing long after that GPA revelation?
I don’t think any team has flunked out a starting center midway through his senior season before Purdue dumped Booker. That he was the leading scorer and rebounder on a top 20 team makes that one of the most unique and heavy handed “we take our academics seriously and no athlete is above the rules” smack downs in NCAA history.

That we followed it up within a year by not allowing a returning 1,000 yard rusher to remain eligible puts us in pretty rarified air for academic integrity no matter how much one of you think a player got a break on a grade one time.

Actually, KentuckyBoiler’s was the first post in this thread. If you go to the very top of the first page you will find it (intentional sarcasm). And if you reread my prior comment, you may be able to understand that it is that post that I was referencing.

Tunnel vision will get you nowhere on this board or in life in general. If you are unable of thinking outside of a single line of thought, then I, and likely others in your life, am wasting my time trying to educate you. And time is the most valuable resource that any of us have.

Thus, I have leveraged the ignore function to add you to the list with boileruprobert, bcfanatic, coach geez, et al. Not a group whose reputations on this board and among this community are viewed favorably.

I have found that thie ignore function allows me to focus my limited time on posts that actually are enjoyable, informed, valuable, insightful, etc. Yours don’t meet these low threshold qualifications.

I do wish you well. Much joy is available in life if we simply allow it to enter our lives with open minds and hearts.
Wow. Thanks for the novel. Keep in mind, more words, when most are wrong, irrelevant or meaningless, do nothing for your debate. Also MY comment ( which you chose to comment on) was not to the OP but to another poster. Like I said, keep up. As for as ignoring me, quite alright. You seem to be a snowflake that doesn’t like others opinions. That, won’t serve you well in life.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
My Neighbor was Tony Rice's tutor at Notre Dame. For the younger guys, Tony was their QB on a National championship team. Tony was in their introductory freshman accounting class, call it 101 or whatever, the first class. Talking to my friend he had no business being in college, he really didn't have the capacity to learn or understand the material. He showed up, worked hard, nice kid, applied himself but just couldn't grasp the course material. Amazingly got a C on the final which my friend said was impossible. He believes there was a few at most major programs prior to prop 48. I was told our Jimmy Smith fell into this category.

WD
Jimmy Smith lived on my floor at Tarkington during his brief stay at Purdue. I had one interaction with him and he seemed like a nice enough guy. Got the impression academics may not have been for him. Great athlete. Still remember his kickoff return for a TD.

Jimmy Smith lived on my floor at Tarkington during his brief stay at Purdue. I had one interaction with him and he seemed like a nice enough guy. Got the impression academics may not have been for him. Great athlete. Still remember his kickoff return for a TD.

If I remember correctly that was against Stanford when John Elway was playing?

Reactions: Purdue85
Amazingly got a C on the final which my friend said was impossible.
I'd credit that to grade inflation as much as anything (something else Purdue has resisted). The idea "If you can get into this University, you'll never get below a C" mentality for academic side of the house. For ND and some of the other schools, it's getting them in.

Reactions: ChuckJr
"Stunner!" We'll know more tommorrow regarding academic casualties. Sounds like a few might get caught in the ringer this time around. I cannot understand if you are a performer on the field how you cannot be a performer in the classroom to keep your elgibility.
The same type of discipline that is required to get on the field and play is necessary in the classroom to maintain eligibility and progressing towards a degree. Show up, do your work, ask for tutor assistance and you'll find ways to pass properly.

Sounds like another "Chris Booker moment" is upon Purdue's doorstep.

Last edited:
So I guess we're not going to find out if there are acdemic casualties until the game? Would think Brohm would know by now.

Probably should just be happy if both sides can field a team. Getting pretty dicey with omicron.
I saw Michigan went and got boosted as a team. If it actually prevents infection, that’ll be a hell of a way to win a natty by default. Lol

Probably should just be happy if both sides can field a team. Getting pretty dicey with omicron.
OMG

Omicron.

iu

Yup. Just saw that. Bummer. Hopefully, Wright gets it together for the spring and obviously for the fall.
With injuries, we will be thin at the one position we've been thick at WR. We'll have several holes to fill at other positions as well. Will get a chance to see some of the new guys, maybe the next star emerges at this game?

not looking forward to guys who haven't played much, stepping in at a Bowl game. Hope I am wrong but things don't look good at Wide Receiver for this game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT