ADVERTISEMENT

CMP's Explanation - I think Bernstein and Holmes should read this

Apr 1, 2019
I think CMP does a good job of explaining what happened during the game, and how Purdue got stuck throwing the ball inside.

Yeah, they were just going to let us play one on one in the post. You see the 25 attempts that Zach
had,'' Painter said. "For us, we're just going to throw him the basketball and keep going, just be able to keep going to the well. You hope through the game, with what you do, that we could loosen that and get him. For us to get them to change, we had to get the lead, get them on their heels, and then get in that 10-minute mark. We couldn't get there. We couldn't get rebounds. You can't go on runs if you can't get stops.

"They're a great defensive team. So they just made a decision, like, we can defend the perimeter and we can take this away from you, then you're just going to get the ball to your best player, he's going to be one on one, then that's that. They were going to live with that. If we could have rebounded the basketball better, we could have got them to change and do that, but we weren't able
to do that. Then they stayed in control of the game. Not everybody can do what they just did. You have to give credit to their defense and their coach and how they're wired.''

Reactions: RossMackey
I think CMP does a good job of explaining what happened during the game, and how Purdue got stuck throwing the ball inside.

Yeah, they were just going to let us play one on one in the post. You see the 25 attempts that Zach
had,'' Painter said. "For us, we're just going to throw him the basketball and keep going, just be able to keep going to the well. You hope through the game, with what you do, that we could loosen that and get him. For us to get them to change, we had to get the lead, get them on their heels, and then get in that 10-minute mark. We couldn't get there. We couldn't get rebounds. You can't go on runs if you can't get stops.

"They're a great defensive team. So they just made a decision, like, we can defend the perimeter and we can take this away from you, then you're just going to get the ball to your best player, he's going to be one on one, then that's that. They were going to live with that. If we could have rebounded the basketball better, we could have got them to change and do that, but we weren't able
to do that. Then they stayed in control of the game. Not everybody can do what they just did. You have to give credit to their defense and their coach and how they're wired.''
The problem is not having players that can get their own shot.

He went to Edey repeatedly because, what else was he gonna do? None of our guys could get open.

As I said in another thread, I really don't think there was much CMP could do. They just throttled everyone not named Edey, and there wasn't much we could do about it.

If you want to blame CMP for Monday (which I don't), then blame him for not having players that can get their own shot and can break down guys one on one. But to blame him for X's and O's in that game doesn't make sense.

Well thankfully you can explain all of this to them because they're very consequential opinions for Purdue basketball.

Reactions: pboiler18

UCONN was just a much better, more talented team. Simple as that.

No coach could have coached Purdue to a victory over UCONN.

UCONN was simply on a different level.

Reactions: RossMackey
As I said in another thread, I really don't think there was much CMP could do. They just throttled everyone not named Edey, and there wasn't much we could do about it.

If you want to blame CMP for Monday (which I don't), then blame him for not having players that can get their own shot and can break down guys one on one. But to blame him for X's and O's in that game doesn't make sense.
This is well said. I've criticized the roster construction for a few years now. But - that being said - CMP got the absolute max out of the players we did have. Maybe even 110%.

The problem is not having players that can get their own shot.

He went to Edey repeatedly because, what else was he gonna do? None of our guys could get open.
And on the extremely rare occasions where they had a look, they passed off or dumped it into the post…

My most minor of quibbles with Zach all year long was that he could have been faster in kicking it back out when he did not immediately have position ….

Yep — I know EVERY BIT as much as a two- time NPOY😎👍🏀

Zach had 37 points on 25 field goal attempts. The rest of the team had 23 points on 29 field goal attempts. Going to Zach was the right choice because of the way that UConn was defending. To win this game, Purdue was going to have to get Clingan in foul trouble and force UConn to double on Edey, but that didn’t happen until far too late.

I really felt that the biggest factor (along with Clingan staying out of foul trouble) in this game was UConn getting to rebounds and loose balls. Several times Purdue played excellent D for almost 30 seconds before giving up an offensive board that UConn converted to a bucket. On other cases, Purdue forced a deflection but gave up a bucket off of the ensuing scramble. Rebounding, in particular, has been one of Purdue’s biggest advantages all season, making losing the battle of the boards a huge issue for Purdue.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT