ADVERTISEMENT

<NCAA Tourney First Round> Purdue vs. ODU: Predictions & Game Thread

Lucky we played ODU and not Villanova tonight. It’s rarely easy for this team and no easier watching.

Wrap Nojel's ankle tight and hope he has the lateral quickness to play his D.
just rebuild him...……
bionicman2.gif

Reactions: Zaphod_B
We got a double-digit win in the first round of the tournament without our best defensive player. We held our opponent to, like, 25% shooting. Cline had the worst shooting game of his life.

It's going to be OK.

This^^. We were up by 15 to 20 most of the second half until that @sshole ref decided to call a T on Haarms. Wouldn't have been close without that call.

I feel like these type of games will happen in the tourney, rough shooting, poor execution in some spots, but in the end you have to win them. Solid job by the team, time to prep for nova (who I think we match up well with, assuming nojel is good to go).

Boiler Up!!

If i executed the sports-reference search correctly, tonight Carsen became first Purdue player to put up 25+ points, 7+ rebounds, and 4+ assists in an NCAA tournament game.

Others who came close:

Go6QteW.jpg

Reactions: TX4GB
This^^. We were up by 15 to 20 most of the second half until that @sshole ref decided to call a T on Haarms. Wouldn't have been close without that call.

Things got a little slow for us on offense for a while - I'm thankful ODU couldn't hit anything. Haarms' T seemed like complete BS.

However, Haarms also needs to just cool it a bit in those situations. That was a 4 point swing for ODU - could you imagine if things got dicier?

Carsen did a better job of running offense tonight - but if one thing doesn't go as planned, he seems to just immediately give up and shoot it - even if 15-20 seconds left on the shot clock. 30% aint gonna do it against Villanova.

Couple of questionable decisions. But all in all, he played well.

When you miss 16 shots in a game, there's more than a couple questionable decisions - you've just really lowered expectations. He needs to clean it up against Villanova. If he shoots 24 times against Villanova and makes 30% of them - 1% chance we win. Same with Cline, but at least his shot numbers are half of what Carsen is shooting.

We shot 37% tonight. Without Carsen's 30% shooting on 23 shots, the rest of the team (including Cline) was 43%. Without Cline's 16% shooting on 12 shots, the team (even with Carsen's 30%) shot 42%. That's how big of a factor the shot volume is.

Carsen ran more offense tonight, but easily gave up on running it when a challenge presented itself. That's what typically led to a missed shot by him - instead of continuing to run the offense, he just shot it or drove into a wall of defenders (he was 3/11 from inside the arc....those should be 45%+ numbers).

That being said, his teammates have to get more involved. We need to go inside more against Villanova. Villanova doesn't have depth - we have to just go at them.

I feel like these type of games will happen in the tourney, rough shooting, poor execution in some spots, but in the end you have to win them. Solid job by the team, time to prep for nova (who I think we match up well with, assuming nojel is good to go).

Boiler Up!!

First off, ODU plays this style of game - it's a slow pace, defensive game like UVA plays (their coach is from the UVA pedigree). While ODU played tight defense, we played it tighter.

Secondly, the first game in an NCAA Tournament is often not a barometer for a team's success. We've seen teams squeak by in the first round that end up in the Final Four. And we've seen teams blow out their first round game, then find themselves in a pickle the next game.

I'd certainly prefer for us to get the "crap" out of our system tonight (I noticed even during pre-game warm ups that they weren't shooting it terribly well). But we certainly have some major room for improvement if we want to walk away with a win Saturday.

When you miss 16 shots in a game, there's more than a couple questionable decisions - you've just really lowered expectations. He needs to clean it up against Villanova. If he shoots 24 times against Villanova and makes 30% of them - 1% chance we win. Same with Cline, but at least his shot numbers are half of what Carsen is shooting.

We shot 37% tonight. Without Carsen's 30% shooting on 23 shots, the rest of the team (including Cline) was 43%. Without Cline's 16% shooting on 12 shots, the team (even with Carsen's 30%) shot 42%. That's how big of a factor the shot volume is.

Carsen ran more offense tonight, but easily gave up on running it when a challenge presented itself. That's what typically led to a missed shot by him - instead of continuing to run the offense, he just shot it or drove into a wall of defenders (he was 3/11 from inside the arc....those should be 45%+ numbers).

That being said, his teammates have to get more involved. We need to go inside more against Villanova. Villanova doesn't have depth - we have to just go at them.

No argument on any of this. But the thing to also remember is ODU holds their opponents to a lower than average field goal percentage.

If i executed the sports-reference search correctly, tonight Carsen became first Purdue player to put up 25+ points, 7+ rebounds, and 4+ assists in an NCAA tournament game.

Others who came close:

Go6QteW.jpg

That is a great team right there. Younger folks may not remember Edmondson, but he played in the NBA. Russell Cross was a monster, but had knee issues.

That is a great team right there. Younger folks may not remember Edmondson, but he played in the NBA. Russell Cross was a monster, but had knee issues.

Keith Edmonson was Mr. Smooth....loved watching him play. Russell Cross left a year early and was the 6th pick in the draft (Golden State), but unfortunately, his career never really panned out.....he was a beast though as you stated - Chicago Manley, IIRC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT