ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Decision

Well Painter grew up a die hard IU fan and was best friends with Pat Knight.....he turned out okay for our program o_O
growing up a fan and literally spending every minute of your 4-5 years in college with a team and program are two different things.

and that's what they say Izzo does. Izzo is a tremendous coach. However, he's also a snake oil salesman , much like Calipari, and Coach k's assistants.

As I look at ESPN, what do I see? I see the Final 4 they wanted to be played last year. Since the y didn't get it, they created it for the preseason with Duke, Kansas, MSU and UK. ESPN creates the hype for the blue bloods which is very hard to break. We may be able to beat them on the court, but we can't beat the media exposure and hype they receive for free.

Many have said Izzo and Calipari run a "legally" clean program , but not an ethically clean one. they both make a lot of promises they have no intention of keeping. and like today's voters, their recruits believe their stories and lies. if you turn out to be the star of their teams, everything works out great. However, if you are a 4/5 * on the bench, you begin to realize the lies were just that - lies.

I've listened to several of Calipari's speeches. he has an interesting philosophy. he tells his players they are coming to UK to get a degree in basketball. And rather than training them to be engineers or doctors or teachers, they are coming to UK to be educated and trained in basketball. and their future employer will be a pro basketball team. and some players wil l be ready to graduate and get a job after 1 year, while others may take 2-3 years. but they should all expect when they commit to Uk, that their future after leaving UK will be basketball. I haven't really researched it, but I'm very curious how close this is to being true. What is that center that de-committed from Purdue to play for UK doing these days? Are there former Uk players who are doing things in the world not related to basketball? I'm confident some of his players that stay for 4 years get a degree. But what are they doing with that degree? working for prominent donors and alumni? and what happens to the players who left school early for the pros? I know a couple made it big, but what happened to the others? like those twins? I'll be honest, I don't know.

Malik could be a star at MSU. he could also be an afterthought.
I know at Purdue, he'll also have a chance to be a star. but more importantly, he'll be part of a family. and he'll receive an education. I went to school and had many classes with Eugene Parker and Mike Needham. Eugene was a star player. Mike was not. Both players got a degree. and both players became very successful after they left Purdue. Eugene became a successful sports agent. Mike became an engineer. to me, that's what college athletics is all about.

my son is a track athlete. Sure, he'd love to be an Olympian. but more importantly, he's looking to use his athletic talents to pay for his degree. This is his Senior year. His goal is to get his Masters Degree, and become a college coach or trainer. He's working towards being a MVC champion in his event. but he's also thinking about his real future in life.

and sometimes, we say this athlete is only 18 and has no clue what they want to do with the rest of their life. and for some, that may be true. however, I've been to a few high school class re-unions. and the vast majority of my high school classmates knew exactly what they wanted to be in high school, and they pursued and accomplished those dreams.

sorry, this post is over 20 words long.

Reactions: FlintTown
growing up a fan and literally spending every minute of your 4-5 years in college with a team and program are two different things.
I know - just busting your chops.

Obviously Dane has been able to separate his IU past to become an amazing recruiter for MSU. I believe Painter missed on him and honestly not sure Lutz has shown he can close on kids.

It has gotten to this: Looking for a snake charmer and salesman on the recruiting front. Background in dealing with shoe company executives required. Acting skills with crocodile tears on cue required. Stretching the truth necessary. Someone willing to get in the mud and rip the competition when things get desperate good to have. Basketball x’s and o’s knowledge is optional but a plus.
Big time recruiting is a tough, hard nosed, nasty business. As long as you're not doing anything illegal or immoral, your top recruiter has to do what it takes. If he's going to be a nice guy and not play hardball, you'll continue to get good recruits, not the great recruits. Consequently, you'll end up with good (Sweet 16) teams, not great (Final Four) teams.

Reactions: BoilerInChiTown
Pretty sickening. I$ it even about ba$ketball anymore? For the love of the game? LOL

Not when the highest paid employees of the state are the basketball and football coaches at in-state schools. It's a business. Plan and simple. Guys get fired for not winning, period.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
and that's what they say Izzo does. Izzo is a tremendous coach. However, he's also a snake oil salesman , much like Calipari, and Coach k's assistants.

As I look at ESPN, what do I see? I see the Final 4 they wanted to be played last year. Since the y didn't get it, they created it for the preseason with Duke, Kansas, MSU and UK. ESPN creates the hype for the blue bloods which is very hard to break. We may be able to beat them on the court, but we can't beat the media exposure and hype they receive for free.

Many have said Izzo and Calipari run a "legally" clean program , but not an ethically clean one. they both make a lot of promises they have no intention of keeping. and like today's voters, their recruits believe their stories and lies. if you turn out to be the star of their teams, everything works out great. However, if you are a 4/5 * on the bench, you begin to realize the lies were just that - lies.

I've listened to several of Calipari's speeches. he has an interesting philosophy. he tells his players they are coming to UK to get a degree in basketball. And rather than training them to be engineers or doctors or teachers, they are coming to UK to be educated and trained in basketball. and their future employer will be a pro basketball team. and some players wil l be ready to graduate and get a job after 1 year, while others may take 2-3 years. but they should all expect when they commit to Uk, that their future after leaving UK will be basketball. I haven't really researched it, but I'm very curious how close this is to being true. What is that center that de-committed from Purdue to play for UK doing these days? Are there former Uk players who are doing things in the world not related to basketball? I'm confident some of his players that stay for 4 years get a degree. But what are they doing with that degree? working for prominent donors and alumni? and what happens to the players who left school early for the pros? I know a couple made it big, but what happened to the others? like those twins? I'll be honest, I don't know.

Malik could be a star at MSU. he could also be an afterthought.
I know at Purdue, he'll also have a chance to be a star. but more importantly, he'll be part of a family. and he'll receive an education. I went to school and had many classes with Eugene Parker and Mike Needham. Eugene was a star player. Mike was not. Both players got a degree. and both players became very successful after they left Purdue. Eugene became a successful sports agent. Mike became an engineer. to me, that's what college athletics is all about.

my son is a track athlete. Sure, he'd love to be an Olympian. but more importantly, he's looking to use his athletic talents to pay for his degree. This is his Senior year. His goal is to get his Masters Degree, and become a college coach or trainer. He's working towards being a MVC champion in his event. but he's also thinking about his real future in life.

and sometimes, we say this athlete is only 18 and has no clue what they want to do with the rest of their life. and for some, that may be true. however, I've been to a few high school class re-unions. and the vast majority of my high school classmates knew exactly what they wanted to be in high school, and they pursued and accomplished those dreams.

sorry, this post is over 20 words long.
Duke, MSU, Kansas, and UK have been meeting in the champions classic every year since 2011.

while all those are conference rivals, non of them are blood rivals like iu/Purdue. If it were UF/FSU, Auburn/Bama, MSU/UM, then it would carry more weight, but coaching for an another team in your conference is not the same as your most hated rival. I'm sure there are examples but like I said, personally, I don't like it.

Tennessee and Alabama are HUGE rivals.

Miami and Florida State are HUGE rivals.

All the examples I listed recruit and compete against one another every year. Fife recruits against his Alma Mater every year.

FYI - national experts are starting to flip to MSU on 247. Who didn’t see this coming?

At 9:50 am and 9:51 am today. One would assume they each heard something at the same time. It's possible that Jerry Meyer is simply going along with Brian Snow, but it's far more likely they know something definitive.

He’s gone. Just move on from Malik. I can’t even remember his last name anymore. He’s a nobody now. Zeke is the only person I care about.
It is starting to get old. What more can Purdue do outside of Final Four appearance? CMP shows he can win without landing 5 stars or really many 4 stars, is well respected, etc. The game atmosphere at Mackey is great and talked about nationally every year. Purdue has had players get a lot of national publicity under Painter like Baby Boilers, Biggie, Carsen, Hammons. The social media, marketing and promotions have improved significantly. Is it simply the name on the jersey that doesn't get them excited or perception or what? Assistants?

Tennessee and Alabama are HUGE rivals.

Miami and Florida State are HUGE rivals.

All the examples I listed recruit and compete against one another every year. Fife recruits against his Alma Mater every year.

In order to compare apples/apples, you would have to say Bama/Auburn, UF/FSU. No Bama fan is going to consider TN it's biggest rival, just as no FSU fan is going to say Miami is a bigger rival than UF. Just as no iu or PU fan is going to say any other school is a bigger rival.

It is starting to get old. What more can Purdue do outside of Final Four appearance? CMP shows he can win without landing 5 stars or really many 4 stars, is well respected, etc. The game atmosphere at Mackey is great and talked about nationally every year. Purdue has had players get a lot of national publicity under Painter like Baby Boilers, Biggie, Carsen, Hammons. The social media, marketing and promotions have improved significantly. Is it simply the name on the jersey that doesn't get them excited or perception or what? Assistants?
Chicken and the egg. Get a FF and they will come but you need those players to make it to a FF.

Or let your players literally get away with rape, there is that too I guess.

Like Keady, Painter has shown he can win in the B10 and regular season, not in the tourney, where it's counts nationally.

Get guys to stick in the NBA

Like Keady, Painter has shown he can win in the B10 and regular season, not in the tourney, where it's counts nationally.
Except that isn't really true. If you don't think that with a healthy Hummel or Haas we wouldn't of been to the FF, then I can't help you. Plus he routinely makes it to the S16 really so there has to be something else.

Except that isn't really true. If you don't think that with a healthy Hummel or Haas we wouldn't of been to the FF, then I can't help you. Plus he routinely makes it to the S16 really so there has to be something else.

A healthy Haas probably makes the losing margin against Villanova only 15 instead of 20. You see how Spellman played in the tournament?

In order to compare apples/apples, you would have to say Bama/Auburn, UF/FSU. No Bama fan is going to consider TN it's biggest rival, just as no FSU fan is going to say Miami is a bigger rival than UF. Just as no iu or PU fan is going to say any other school is a bigger rival.

Most IU fans, up until about 5 years ago are going to tell you their biggest basketball rival is Kentucky.

A healthy Haas probably makes the losing margin against Villanova only 15 instead of 20. You see how Spellman played in the tournament?
Yeah because there is zero chance that a healthy Haas wouldn't of impacted the game right? I mean it's not like it didn't happen all season....... oh wait.

Reactions: mathboy
Yeah because there is zero chance that a healthy Haas wouldn't of impacted the game right? I mean it's not like it didn't happen all season....... oh wait.

Impacting the game and your comment "if you don't think with a healthy Hummel or Haas we wouldn't have been in the F4" are two completely different things. Stop while you're ahead. Please.

...and I will add that our real rival in basketball is MSU and not IU. IU has not been relavant for years and does not chase the same recruits like MSU does.
IU has been just as relevant as Purdue during Painters career.

Since Archie was hired, we have gone head to head with the following recruits (recruits that held offers from both):

2018:
Romeo
Jerome Hunter
RP
Damezi Anderson

2019:

Newman
Franklin
TJD
Brooks

2020:

Ethan Morton

2021:

Lander
Furst

I've gone from anger to sympathy when it comes to Painter's recruiting. He did as much as humanly possible to land this kid and significantly more than our competition.

It's been 14 years. He's had his chance to adapt his recruiting, whether that be his style, approach, and/or staff, and it clearly hasn't been good enough. This crap keeps happening.

Not when the highest paid employees of the state are the basketball and football coaches at in-state schools. It's a business. Plan and simple. Guys get fired for not winning, period.

………...and down the shit hole it will slide

If I'm Painter and Malik just told me that he picked MSU - I would say, best of luck and tell him I get it.

Than text him this
a167e4a4-b75b-43c2-b04d-1f43321247e3.sized-1000x1000.jpg

IU has been just as relevant as Purdue during Painters career.

Since Archie was hired, we have gone head to head with the following recruits (recruits that held offers from both):

2018:
Romeo
Jerome Hunter
RP
Damezi Anderson

2019:

Newman
Franklin
TJD
Brooks

2020:

Ethan Morton

2021:

Lander
Furst
I tend to agree with this. IU was far more erratic for most of Painter’s time here, but each team’s best years (by however you define it - reg season vs tourney) were on par with one another. Purdue certainly more consistent, on an even trajectory, etc.

I think with Archie, IU and PU will have more overlap in their local targets than Crean and Painter did. On the one hand, Crean offered 90% of the top 100 every year, so you could argue that overlapped with Painter’s top recruits. But it clearly seems Painter is less about flash and more about substance, and it seems pretty reasonable to say Archie will be more like that than Crean ever was. I get the sense that we’ll see more battles like the 2018 and 19 recruits listed above over the coming years.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
...and I will add that our real rival in basketball is MSU and not IU. IU has not been relavant for years and does not chase the same recruits like MSU does.
Does this mean we need to alert the students that on Saturday the kick-offs need to change to “Spar-tans suck!”?

Yep, he gone. On to Zeke. Maybe this will work out similar to the Armaan/Newman situation.[/QUOTE

Lord I hope so, its still hard to fully believe all the time what 24/7 has to say. Maybe this is the great plot to lead Izzo into believing he stole another one, yet to get spurned at the last minute.

I know, wishful thinking but gotta hold a little hope.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT