ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Decision

Just saw MH’s mothers post on Twitter and noticed once agin the P is in the middle of his commitment date tweet. That a sign. P has been in the middle every time. Right?

Just saw MH’s mothers post on Twitter and noticed once agin the P is in the middle of his commitment date tweet. That a sign. P has been in the middle every time. Right?
Maybe but I believe Xavier Tillman and JJJ has Purdue front and center.....

This would be incredibly tough for a coach to keep secret for a few days even though I'm sure the only people who would know are his asst coaches. I just think it would somehow get leaked. But then again, out of respect for the other coach who has spent a lot of time, money and emotion on recruiting him, I do think it's the right thing for the recruit to do when he's made his decision. I also would think it's hard for the recruit himself to keep secret because he's undoubtedly told his family, maybe a friend or two, etc. Just really tough to keep it a secret I would think.

I agree with you about it being tough keeping things a secret, but I will try to show what I was trying to say. Example:

JJJ told Izzo that he was coming to MSU before officially announcing it publicly. I believe (and I could be wrong about the day of the week) he told Izzo on Sunday, and CMP went to see JJJ on Monday I believe. Matt knew then what had happened.

Brian knew beforehand of the commitment as he posted the "rumor " of JJJ going to MSU holdings a lot of sense.

Well from a graphic design perspective since the other 2 are green logos it probably looks the best to keep the gold one in the middle... Or He's definitely going to Purdue!

Brian Snow just released an article with some Malik info it seems. Too bad I can't read it. Though judging from him not switching his prediction as of yet, it must be pretty positive for us.

Reactions: Boilermaker24

Brian Snow just released an article with some Malik info it seems. Too bad I can't read it. Though judging from him not switching his prediction as of yet, it must be pretty positive for us.
The latest I have is that the Spartans seem to have the edge. Michigan State has done a good job over the past month or so of making up ground and building a relationship with Hall, and he might prefer the Spartans over the Boilermakers as it gets down to decision time.

That's the snippet on what he is hearing.

The latest I have is that the Spartans seem to have the edge. Michigan State has done a good job over the past month or so of making up ground and building a relationship with Hall, and he might prefer the Spartans over the Boilermakers as it gets down to decision time.

That's the snippet on what he is hearing.[

Well... Not the news I was looking for. Guess it's Zeke time now.

That's the snippet on what he is hearing.
That would be about right. M$U always seems to come in and pluck recruits from us at the last second. There used to be at least some professional courtesy between schools on recruits, but that no longer seems to be the case anymore. Especially with whizzo.

Also, the new mod is liable to get tested if we don't land him. Not just from outside trolls but our own peeps that lose their mind when something negative happens to Purdue and make countless FIRE PAINTER threads.

That would be about right. M$U always seems to come in and pluck recruits from us at the last second. There used to be at least some professional courtesy between schools on recruits, but that no longer seems to be the case anymore. Especially with whizzo.

Also, the new mod is liable to get tested if we don't land him. Not just from outside trolls but our own peeps that lose their mind when something negative happens to Purdue and make countless FIRE PAINTER threads.

The professional courtesy begins at commitment. In other words, I don't hold it against other schools to recruit a player Painter's recruiting.

I think countless "Fire Painter" threads are perfectly acceptable. What's not acceptable is the crap we've had on here over the last couple weeks.

The less the moderator moderates, the better.

Idk that Izzo recruiting an uncommitted player shows a lack of professional courtesy. If the player was committed to Purdue and Izzo continued to recruit the player, then that would be breaking the unwritten rule.

I think countless "Fire Painter" threads are perfectly acceptable.
I disagree to an extent because they are usually filled with nonsense and nothing constructive.

As far as your other comments I can agree to a certain point if it wasn't M$U that was involved. I don't think they are dirty or cheat mind you, but they sure are ethically challenged.

Reactions: bonefish1
If he's doing all he can on the recruiting trail and not getting results, then he probably needs to get to a final 4. Unfortunately until his teams make that leap on the court, it's going to be used against him.

There's a reasonably easy solution to this...

Hire a recruiter who can close the deal that's what all the best leaders do. It's not like they could do everything themselves. Painter can remain as our coach as he is a good coach and we get some of these recruits that we've been missing on. We finally reach a final 4 under CMP and everyone is happy. Rinse and repeat.

Hire a recruiter who can close the deal that's what all the best leaders do. It's not like they could do everything themselves. Painter can remain as our coach as he is a good coach and we get some of these recruits that we've been missing on. We finally reach a final 4 under CMP and everyone is happy. Rinse and repeat.
You assume that we don't have one. I mean do you know for a fact why some recruits don't pick us? What is the silver bullet that is being missed?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, it's just that your comment rubs me the wrong way because it makes it sound like everything is in a vacuum and without knowing the real reason people pick someone else over us, just throwing a different recruiter at it may not be necessarily what is missing.

Reactions: BBG and ChoiceBeef
It worries me how Mich. St. has come out of nowhere all of a sudden.

It happened because MSU is going to miss on all their top targets so they put the press on him. Whether that includes shadyness or improper interactions, I have no clue. Painter and staff gave him a visit a few days ago. So they certainly didn’t give up. I just hope he has reviewed the recent history. JJJ and Biggie would be the most recent and best examples of the two head to head battles for recruits. JJJ was misused and sat on the bench at the end of their early exit for a guy that had no business playing ahead of him. Meanwhile, Biggie got runner up to NPOTY and his development between freshman and sophomore was obvious. Painters development of his players vs MSU over the last 4 years has been so much in favor of Purdue it’s almost laughable. MSU squandered the most talent they have ever had (arguably). They are loaded at his position. Coach has got to close. It’s all there to where if it is purely a basketball decision, it should be Purdue. If it isn’t, then there isn’t anything Painter could have done differently. Izzo rolled out the red carpet recently due to misses and likely misses. Purdue laid out the red carpet a long time ago and has made him a top priority from jump.

It happened because MSU is going to miss on all their top targets so they put the press on him. Whether that includes shadyness or improper interactions, I have no clue. Painter and staff gave him a visit a few days ago. So they certainly didn’t give up. I just hope he has reviewed the recent history. JJJ and Biggie would be the most recent and best examples of the two head to head battles for recruits. JJJ was misused and sat on the bench at the end of their early exit for a guy that had no business playing ahead of him. Meanwhile, Biggie got runner up to NPOTY and his development between freshman and sophomore was obvious. Painters development of his players vs MSU over the last 4 years has been so much in favor of Purdue it’s almost laughable. MSU squandered the most talent they have ever had (arguably). They are loaded at his position. Coach has got to close. It’s all there to where if it is purely a basketball decision, it should be Purdue. If it isn’t, then there isn’t anything Painter could have done differently. Izzo rolled out the red carpet recently due to misses and likely misses. Purdue laid out the red carpet a long time ago and has made him a top priority from jump.
well stated. It is a strong argument that holds to good logic. Let's hope Izzo is all out of tears, and this kids thinks about this decision carefully. MSU is not the right spot for him.

You know your statement makes me wonder if Painter doesn't sling the "slime" as I would call it and point out those flaws in other schools enough. While I don't want him to be known for it, maybe he needs to be "meaner" in that regard.

Then again, not like I know what goes on when he talks to recruits.

That's what drives me nuts about recruiting. I don't understand how or why a recruit would go to a place that is loaded in said position when you could go somewhere else and actually be the main attraction. I guess we will wait and see. Does he want to be #1 or maybe #4,5,6?

Reactions: Futureboiler

Agree 100%. You need a recruiter who is an absolute killer. I don't care if he even gets off the bench during games. As long as he's able to close the deal with a good % of your top targets, that's what you need.
Now...I didn't say 'cheater', I said 'recruiter'. There's something about the PU program and/or Painter that is getting us in a lot of guy's top 2-3, but not being able to seal the deal.

what I don't understand is we keep talking about painter doing all of the recruiting. at other schools, their assistants do a lot of the recruiting and the head coach is the closer. it just seems to me our assistants are not reeling in these recruits like other assistants do.

admittedly, at many schools, it's the assistants who give out the money under the table.

what I don't understand is we keep talking about painter doing all of the recruiting. at other schools, their assistants do a lot of the recruiting and the head coach is the closer. it just seems to me our assistants are not reeling in these recruits like other assistants do.

admittedly, at many schools, it's the assistants who give out the money under the table.

Part of it is about recruiting your #1 choice assistants. Easy to bad mouth him now but Dane Fife was Painter's #1 choice and Izzo came in and snapped him up and we had to settle for choice B. I do wonder who is the recruiting ace in the staff... I don' t think there is one.

I would argue that the familiarity he has with us has actually worked negatively. I know that sounds pretty ironic. But these big schools like M$U and Oregon offered him something fresh and exciting. I think that’s the effect we might have with us getting Zeke’s final visit. We might be able to flip the table on his recruitment much like M$U has done with Malik.

If it was reasonably easy, I have to believe everyone would have been doing it. And don't forget, a lot of these leaders are under investigation or, over the years, were put on probation for how they closed the deal. I guarantee that if Purdue does this to get to a final four, not everyone is going to be happy.

In the past we had many discussions about who would replace Painter if the AD dumped him. Now that the issue is dead, maybe the discussion should focus on who should be the assistant coach to be head of recruiting. A few years back, Painter tried to hire Dane Fife who, not-so-coincidentally, is the lead MSU recruiter for Malik Hall. Because Cordova did not see the value in athletics, MSU easily outbid Purdue for his services.

Reactions: tjreese and BBG
The only assistant you ever hear about on the recruiting trail is Brantley. Has Lutz ever gotten a recruit? When was the last time Gary got a recruit? Dakota Mathias?

Maybe Gary decided to stop recruiting after the last one he got married his daughter...

Jack Owens and Paul Lusk were 2 of painters best recruiters. It does make you wonder who Lutz and Gary have been after lately.

Jack Owens and Paul Lusk were 2 of painters best recruiters. It does make you wonder who Lutz and Gary have been after lately.
According to 247:
Brantley recruited Newman
Gary recruited Gillis
I would give Thompson credit for recruiting Thompson.
They don't say who the lead recruiters are for Hall and Nnaji. Didn't Lutz recruit Haarms? If so, it would make sense that he was on Hall.

Ummmmmm…...Lutz recruited Carson Edwards on behalf of Creighton. I'm sure he is at PU because Lutz was involved early. Getting one of the front runners for POY to come to PU is not bad...…..come on fellas

According to 247:
Brantley recruited Newman
Gary recruited Gillis
I would give Thompson credit for recruiting Thompson.
They don't say who the lead recruiters are for Hall and Nnaji. Didn't Lutz recruit Haarms? If so, it would make sense that he was on Hall.
Lutz was at Creighton when Haarms committed.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Part of it is about recruiting your #1 choice assistants. Easy to bad mouth him now but Dane Fife was Painter's #1 choice and Izzo came in and snapped him up and we had to settle for choice B. I do wonder who is the recruiting ace in the staff... I don' t think there is one.
I think the biggest thing against Purdue is the perception that they are a slow paced, plodding team, which is definitely not the truth. Coach has said other teams use it against him in recruiting. He's like "What am I going to do? Not give the ball to Caleb Swanigan?"Painter doesn't mind early shots as long as it's a good one. He wants to create turnovers and get out in transition. Purdue has been one of the B1G highest scoring teams under Painter
I think we're starting to see the roster shift to more athletic players and getting away from traditional post man. Teams will still negative recruit that Purdue only plays slow and through bigs

I think the biggest thing against Purdue is the perception that they are a slow paced, plodding team, which is definitely not the truth. Coach has said other teams use it against him in recruiting. He's like "What am I going to do? Not give the ball to Caleb Swanigan?"Painter doesn't mind early shots as long as it's a good one. He wants to create turnovers and get out in transition. Purdue has been one of the B1G highest scoring teams under Painter
I think we're starting to see the roster shift to more athletic players and getting away from traditional post man. Teams will still negative recruit that Purdue only plays slow and through bigs

Interesting point. Another thing I wish we had to help recruit is a current NBA player who is a household name or All Star. Sure E’twaun is a solid starter on a decent team, but he isn’t that well known. Vincent is gonna be G Leaguer most of the year and Biggie never gets the minutes he deserves.We have Brees for football, but no current NBA player that make recruits say “Dang. That dude went to Purdue. They can produce stars over there.” I’ve seen the effect Oladipo’s recent stardom has had on IU. Just wish we could get a piece of the pie to help recruit.

Lutz wasnt at Purdue when Carsen committed...
Yep, my fault. I knew he was in on Carson from past articles, just while he was at Creighton. Lutz recruited Drew Timme for Creighton as well, but may have more to do with him getting to PU than with Carson. The Texas connection is what Lutz brings.

Interesting point. Another thing I wish we had to help recruit is a current NBA player who is a household name or All Star. Sure E’twaun is a solid starter on a decent team, but he isn’t that well known. Vincent is gonna be G Leaguer most of the year and Biggie never gets the minutes he deserves.We have Brees for football, but no current NBA player that make recruits say “Dang. That dude went to Purdue. They can produce stars over there.” I’ve seen the effect Oladipo’s recent stardom has had on IU. Just wish we could get a piece of the pie to help recruit.
I agree. If JuJuan Johnson would have stuck in NBA it would have definitely helped. He had that athletic build and game that would translate to pros more so than an Isaac Haas does. A consensus All American from one one of Painters first classes would have been huge.

Reactions: Boiler Barracuda
I agree. If JuJuan Johnson would have stuck in NBA it would have definitely helped. He had that athletic build and game that would translate to pros more so than an Isaac Haas does. A consensus All American from one one of Painters first classes would have been huge.
I feel like if JJ was 3-5 years younger he would have been a coveted mobile 4/5 in today’s game.

I feel like if JJ was 3-5 years younger he would have been a coveted mobile 4/5 in today’s game.
possibly, but it not like he missed the shift completely. Not really sure what happened there. It almost seemed like he had some early adversity and didn't fight thru it like E'twaun did. No reason he shouldn't have had a longer career.

ADVERTISEMENT