ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Decision

possibly, but it not like he missed the shift completely. Not really sure what happened there. It almost seemed like he had some early adversity and didn't fight thru it like E'twaun did. No reason he shouldn't have had a longer career.

I’m hoping Carsen can become that NBA player that gets recruits excited about us. Let’s face it. No matter the ranking, every recruit sees themselves playing in the NBA one day. If we can show these kids that we can develop players into professional stars, maybe they’ll start seeing us in a better light. I don’t think most kids these days will settle on the fact that we can send guys to be pros overseas. We need someone along with E’twaun to show we can make Boilermakers into starter caliber NBA players.

Malik follows Isaiah, Newman, Haarms, Hunter, Tre and Kyle King.

It has to be a sign!

He also started following MSUs social/creative person - ugh

In all seriousness, do you think he has already called the coaches and informed them of his decision or is he going to do that day of?
gut feel...coaches know

Lutz recruited against Purdue and landed Epperson for Creighton and Purdue ended up with Haarms . Lutz supposedly had big connections with La Lum players. We saw how that went. He also had a great relationship with a guard from Oklahoma who loved Purdue and then signed elsewhere. He's supposedly really big in Texas. Odd, we have zero commits from there since he arrived. Since his arrival, as a recruiter, he has struck out. I sure hope he adds something as a coach.

possibly, but it not like he missed the shift completely. Not really sure what happened there. It almost seemed like he had some early adversity and didn't fight thru it like E'twaun did. No reason he shouldn't have had a longer career.

JJ played basketball because he was tall. He didn’t have that same passion like Biggie or Moore. I worked with somebody that married into JJs family. JJ struggled with confidence (believe it or not) and although I thought Boston was going to be a good fit, it wasn’t. He didn’t demand the ball and was too timid. Boston crippled his growth and he never recovered. G league is an awful place to develop because of the selfish play to try and get a shot at the next level. JJ was an incredible college player. It is a shame he never was fully developed after college.

Reactions: Futureboiler
Why don't you do yourself a favor and pull your lip over your head an swallow.

What a Putz.

ezgif-1-4706e46874da.gif

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Lutz recruited against Purdue and landed Epperson for Creighton and Purdue ended up with Haarms . Lutz supposedly had big connections with La Lum players. We saw how that went. He also had a great relationship with a guard from Oklahoma who loved Purdue and then signed elsewhere. He's supposedly really big in Texas. Odd, we have zero commits from there since he arrived. Since his arrival, as a recruiter, he has struck out. I sure hope he adds something as a coach.
I really, truly, honest-to-goodness hope that the difference between recruiting at Creighton and recruiting at Purdue is NOT that one plays loose with the rules.

Ah, thanks for the correction.

So basically Lutz recruited Carsen but drove him away from the school he was recruiting him for. I guess we should thank Lutz for Carsen coming to Purdue. If not for Lutz recruiting him to Creighton, he may have actually signed there. Thank you Lutz for scaring away Carsen and encouraging him to sign elsewhere. Creighton' loss was our gain.

JJ played basketball because he was tall. He didn’t have that same passion like Biggie or Moore. I worked with somebody that married into JJs family. JJ struggled with confidence (believe it or not) and although I thought Boston was going to be a good fit, it wasn’t. He didn’t demand the ball and was too timid. Boston crippled his growth and he never recovered. G league is an awful place to develop because of the selfish play to try and get a shot at the next level. JJ was an incredible college player. It is a shame he never was fully developed after college.
Doesn’t he make over a million a year playing in Grease? I pretty sure he has made more money than most of us on the board have made in a lifetime playing basketball.

His stats are good enough that he could get a deal with an NBA team. He apparently prefers being the best or second best player on the team and playing a lot of minutes instead of being the 12th best player and barely seeing playing time.

Part of it is about recruiting your #1 choice assistants. Easy to bad mouth him now but Dane Fife was Painter's #1 choice and Izzo came in and snapped him up and we had to settle for choice B. I do wonder who is the recruiting ace in the staff... I don' t think there is one.

I know this is my personal opinion, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about an iu guy on Purdue's staff, especially as the lead recruiter. I know it's a job and it's all business, but it's hard to imagine a former iu player, taught to hate Purdue, being willing to give everything he's got to make Purdue better, potentially at the expense of his alma mater.

Lutz wasnt at Purdue when Carsen committed...

I don't remember where Carsen was rated as a recruit or how many stars. He's absolutely turned into a special player, possible POTY, but we're talking about landing 4 and 5 stars out of hs, not guys who blossomed while in college.

I know this is my personal opinion, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about an iu guy on Purdue's staff, especially as the lead recruiter. I know it's a job and it's all business, but it's hard to imagine a former iu player, taught to hate Purdue, being willing to give everything he's got to make Purdue better, potentially at the expense of his alma mater.

Think that element is lost when it becomes a career. There's plenty of guys who went to one school and then coach at a rival school. Mark Richt is a Miami U grad who was the OC at Florida State forever. Kirby Smart is a Georgia grad who coached at Alabama. Jeremy Pruitt is an Alabama grad coaching at Tennessee. Hell, Fife has had no problem recruiting against his alma mater while at MSU.

I hope I am wrong but I think he ends up at M$U. It's the same old thing, CMP gets in on a recruit and then whizzo comes in and sways him and sometimes I think it's on purpose or at least it wouldn't surprise me if there were times that it was.

One thing is starting to become clear, CMP is whizzo's best recruiter.

Agree 100%. You need a recruiter who is an absolute killer. I don't care if he even gets off the bench during games. As long as he's able to close the deal with a good % of your top targets, that's what you need.
Now...I didn't say 'cheater', I said 'recruiter'. There's something about the PU program and/or Painter that is getting us in a lot of guy's top 2-3, but not being able to seal the deal.

The answer is not far off. Other than the $$ recruits, for many others, Purdue and Painter are just not the "sexy" option. They keep us in the top 2 or 3 just out of loyalty to the coach that often recruited them first and hardest. But once push comes to shove, and it's time to choose sexy vs Purdue, we lose out.

Well Painter grew up a die hard IU fan and was best friends with Pat Knight.....he turned out okay for our program o_O

The answer is not far off. Other than the $$ recruits, for many others, Purdue and Painter are just not the "sexy" option. They keep us in the top 2 or 3 just out of loyalty to the coach that often recruited them first and hardest. But once push comes to shove, and it's time to choose sexy vs Purdue, we lose out.

This. Even Biggie acknowledged this in his goodbye post on Instagram. He said “we made Purdue look sexy.” Because usually we are the furthest thing from it.

The funny thing is we have been a fast paced high scoring offense the past few years. The challenge is Painter isn't willing to sling some mud at his competition.

The odd thing about him picking MSU is the log jam for playing time ahead of him at the 3 or 4. All reports that Aaron Henry is the most game ready of their freshman at the 3. At the 4 you have Bingham who is raw and Kithner.

Whatever, I am over it already and he hasn't even announced yet.

Think that element is lost when it becomes a career. There's plenty of guys who went to one school and then coach at a rival school. Mark Richt is a Miami U grad who was the OC at Florida State forever. Kirby Smart is a Georgia grad who coached at Alabama. Jeremy Pruitt is an Alabama grad coaching at Tennessee. Hell, Fife has had no problem recruiting against his alma mater while at MSU.

Agree here.....and if the "rivalry" is too much to contend with, you don't accept the position in the first place. A smart innovative person could turn it into an advantage should they choose that route. JMO

The funny thing is we have been a fast paced high scoring offense the past few years. The challenge is Painter isn't willing to sling some mud at his competition.

The odd thing about him picking MSU is the log jam for playing time ahead of him at the 3 or 4. All reports that Aaron Henry is the most game ready of their freshman at the 3. At the 4 you have Bingham who is raw and Kithner.

Whatever, I am over it already and he hasn't even announced yet.

Same. This kid is dead to me now as far as I’m concerned. Guess he didn’t want to be the man. Regardless, hopefully this is a wake up call for the coaches that they need to go full force into trying to get Zeke.

When Carsen was first being recruited, he was a 3 star guard. he was not Purdue's first option. he was our third or fourth option at guard. However, our other options committed elsewhere. When he committed, he was still a 3 star. However, like Joe Barry Carrol, his ranking continued to climb during his senior year as the season progressed, and he led his team in the play-offs. At the end of the year he was a very sought after player, maybe close to 4 star ranking, but he was already in the fold.

It has gotten to this: Looking for a snake charmer and salesman on the recruiting front. Background in dealing with shoe company executives required. Acting skills with crocodile tears on cue required. Stretching the truth necessary. Someone willing to get in the mud and rip the competition when things get desperate good to have. Basketball x’s and o’s knowledge is optional but a plus.

It has gotten to this: Looking for a snake charmer and salesman on the recruiting front. Background in dealing with shoe company executives required. Acting skills with crocodile tears on cue required. Stretching the truth necessary. Someone willing to get in the mud and rip the competition when things get desperate good to have. Basketball x’s and o’s knowledge is optional but a plus.

Pretty sickening. I$ it even about ba$ketball anymore? For the love of the game? LOL

Reactions: TX4GB
Kinda sounds like similar skills needed to run for office.

Hall would obviously be a key piece in this class; almost the perfect piece when you look at the potential for playing time and what we've done with Hummel and Vince at the same position. Izzo just comes off a dramatic goofy dude. The biggest punch in the nuts is not only potentially missing on him, having to face him twice a year for the next 3-4 years against a team that decided to swoop in at the last minute.

Towel already been thrown in on this one?
While nothing has come as official, we've simply seen this dance all too often. It's something we are going to have to live with when we have a coach with integrity.

I know Painter will catch hate for missing out, but he and the coaches were in on Hall from the jump so there is literally nothing more they could of done. It just boggles my mind how we evidently were the leader and it was all but wrapped up and then whizzo comes in at the last second and not only takes him from us, but Oregon as well.

Hope I'm wrong though and we are surprised tomorrow!

Last edited:
When Carsen was first being recruited, he was a 3 star guard. he was not Purdue's first option. he was our third or fourth option at guard. However, our other options committed elsewhere. When he committed, he was still a 3 star. However, like Joe Barry Carrol, his ranking continued to climb during his senior year as the season progressed, and he led his team in the play-offs. At the end of the year he was a very sought after player, maybe close to 4 star ranking, but he was already in the fold.
I think one of the reasons he was rated lower early on was that he played AAU with DeAaron Fox and didn't have the ball in is hands a lot and it seems rankings come more from AAU than High School ball.
He wasn't first option and we had CJ Walker committed. It was late in the process when he decomitted and they weren't recruiting anyone else so CMP said they had to start looking through top 150 ranked guys to see who they could get. I think he said Owens found Carsen. I'd say the decommit was a blessing and we were lucky to get Edwards

while all those are conference rivals, non of them are blood rivals like iu/Purdue. If it were UF/FSU, Auburn/Bama, MSU/UM, then it would carry more weight, but coaching for an another team in your conference is not the same as your most hated rival. I'm sure there are examples but like I said, personally, I don't like it.

What's sexy about msu? I think it's very similar to Purdue. You're not talking about a program known for it's wide open, fun and gun style. MSU is known for hard nosed D, rebounding, grind it out winning. There's nothing sexy about it.
PU has awesome facilities, great fan support. Plays on TV a lot. Puts up a lot of points, shoots a lot of 3s, etc.

Reactions: Futureboiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT