ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Decision

Oh so you're in on all of these recruiting meetings to know what is going on? Do tell!

And no, your responses don't rub me the wrong way. I would have to take you seriously first for that to happen dude.

You says "I'm not trying to pick a fight, it's just that your comment rubs me the wrong way", but I won't hold anything against someone that old and senile, knowing someday 30+ years from now I'll old and senile just like you.

Question have any of you been in the room with a recruit as a recruiter I was in those rooms with every recruiter and heard each pitch. I’m telling you it’s more to it than I will explain. Kids and parents makes those choices coaches cannot force a kid to come to a school yes Mich st was all over my son so was many others including our in state schools my son chose Purdue bcuz what he felt right to him opportunities of playing time etc. blaming the coaches for not landing certain players bcuz some of you think they can’t close boy you have no clue what is being said how it’s being said in those rooms or phone calls is more than any of you would no but yet some of you blame these coaches for not getting certain players bcuz some of you think they not doing enough land top 50 kids they are doing what all they can do to land that said kid but sir they cannot force a kid on a program or make them come to Purdue so many factors in play why they go elsewhere some are academics think about that that may play a role as well as other factors we are in that room or there hse gearing what is being said. I no what sold me and my son on Purdue and my son has the academics to get in wasn’t easy but he busted his but academically to get into Purdue. These coaches are all good dudes there doing their job and landing very good talent that is trending in the right direction that will have Purdue playing for big 10 championships and natl championships stop looking at rankings as a solution that changes ur program but rather look into the team chemistry that has to fit all together to make it work as a team.

Treed, we appreciate you and your son for choosing Purdue. He came from a great high school in Evanston and made the right decision.

But when someone like Hall chooses MSU over Purdue knowing the following facts it just does not make sense.

*Purdue will have greater playing time for him right from the beginning.
*Purdue better academically (not sure if that matters).
*Purdue closer to his home town Aurora, IL (2.5 vs 4 hrs)
*Is East Lansing better town? I've been to East Lansing and it's kind of a dump, so no.
*Does MSU have better facilities? Not really, I say we have similar facilities.

So the only logical explanation is MSU sold it better and close the deal better than us. What we need is a recruiter that can close like Fife and Schilling.

Reactions: bonefish1
I believe that the most important factor was that Hammons and Haas were at Purdue, filling the center spot 2 deep. Had he gone to MSU, he would have played center, no matter what Izzo promised him. His development for the NBA would have been much slower. It would have been irresponsible for his guardian not to point that out.
Again, Biggie benefited from those 7-footers, but it's hard to argue that they were the main reason he picked Purdue... I mean, those 2 were on the roster when Biggie tried to commit to Cal, and then when he did pick Mich St. It's not like Painter and/or others forgot to mention the dual 7-footers early on and just happened to think of it after he committed to MSU. Biggie was acutely aware.

Some in here want to discount Painter for the fact that Barnes helped guide Biggie toward Purdue rather than Biggie wanting Purdue straight out of the gate. Well guess what? Being a good recruiter and closing sometimes involves selling the parents too. And that's exactly what Painter did with Barnes. Barnes wasn't gonna guide Biggie to Purdue if he didn't think it was a good fit and good business decision. Painter convinced him it was, and that's what ultimately sealed the deal. Sometimes being a good recruiter means recruiting the people in the inner circle. I give him all the credit in the world for landing Biggie. And yes, it was a good recruiting win over MSU not some write-off win because Barnes attended Purdue.

You says "I'm not trying to pick a fight, it's just that your comment rubs me the wrong way", but I won't hold anything against someone that old and senile, knowing someday 30+ years from now I'll old and senile just like you.

Treed, we appreciate you and your son for choosing Purdue. He came from a great high school in Evanston and made the right decision.

But when someone like Hall chooses MSU over Purdue knowing the following facts it just does not make sense.

*Purdue will have greater playing time for him right from the beginning.
*Purdue better academically (not sure if that matters).
*Purdue closer to his home town Aurora, IL (2.5 vs 4 hrs)
*Is East Lansing better town? I've been to East Lansing and it's kind of a dump, so no.
*Does MSU have better facilities? Not really, I say we have similar facilities.

So the only logical explanation is MSU sold it better and close the deal better than us. What we need is a recruiter that can close like Fife and Schilling.
Rumor has it he wants to play with the “NBA type” talent on MSU rather than be the man at Purdue, and that’s the difference.

Except that isn't really true. If you don't think that with a healthy Hummel or Haas we wouldn't of been to the FF, then I can't help you. Plus he routinely makes it to the S16 really so there has to be something else.
Regardless of injuries, the fact remains we haven't been to a FF in 39 years and have only been to 2 Elite 8's in that time.
Neither was/is a good tourney coach (yet).

Regardless of injuries, the fact remains we haven't been to a FF in 39 years and have only been to 2 Elite 8's in that time.
Neither was/is a good tourney coach (yet).
Except that he is. He isn't elite sure, but you have to get there and get to those s16s first before you get a FF. That fact remains also.

And since you, me or none of us on here were part of the decision, we have no earthly idea what changed his mind. That is the cold hard truth.

Oh and I am not old and senile as I haven't even reached 40 yet, I'm just realistic and know that as much as you and others on here like to THINK you know about what goes on, you are no different than the rest of us in that we all have no clue other than Treed as we aren't part of any of it. That you can take the bank.

Except that he is. He isn't elite sure, but you have to get there and get to those s16s first before you get a FF. That fact remains also.
Painter is a good X/O coach. He's an OK/decent recruiter. He hasn't proven to be a good tourney coach and he hasn't proven to be a great recruiter.
Those are 'facts' (albeit somewhat subjective).
Sadly, since PU's last FF in 1980, I think every B10 team has been there other than NU, PSU and Neb.

So just one final four for Painter and only then he is a good tourney coach.

At least 1 FF. That would definitely get the monkey off his back.
How do you define a good tourney coach? Someone who just get's there?
I would define a good tourney coach as someone who gets there with regularity, someone who advances deep, someone who periodically beats higher seeds.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I hope Malik chooses who he wants to and it helps him achieve whatever it is he wants.

I hope it is Purdue...…if not no worries.

Either way we have Thompson, Newman and Gillis and possibly Zeke Nnaji to keep the future bright....great job Coach Painter and staff.

Boiler Up!

There's a reasonably easy solution to this...

Hire a recruiter who can close the deal that's what all the best leaders do. It's not like they could do everything themselves. Painter can remain as our coach as he is a good coach and we get some of these recruits that we've been missing on. We finally reach a final 4 under CMP and everyone is happy. Rinse and repeat.

And you have missed out on FBI probes and Asst. Coaches getting arrested for “ closing on big recruits” how???

Reactions: PU pit bull
JJ played basketball because he was tall. He didn’t have that same passion like Biggie or Moore. I worked with somebody that married into JJs family. JJ struggled with confidence (believe it or not) and although I thought Boston was going to be a good fit, it wasn’t. He didn’t demand the ball and was too timid. Boston crippled his growth and he never recovered. G league is an awful place to develop because of the selfish play to try and get a shot at the next level. JJ was an incredible college player. It is a shame he never was fully developed after college.

Jj’s Playing in Russia this year....

Painter is a good X/O coach. He's an OK/decent recruiter. He hasn't proven to be a good tourney coach and he hasn't proven to be a great recruiter.
Those are 'facts' (albeit somewhat subjective).
Sadly, since PU's last FF in 1980, I think every B10 team has been there other than NU, PSU and Neb.

and TMHR, Rutgers.....I think Minnesota's appearance was vacated ('97).

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Duke, MSU, Kansas, and UK have been meeting in the champions classic every year since 2011.

Not MSU.....their Final Fours have been falling off theses last several years...
Tommy’s getting old and his lack of moral compass is catching up to him.

And you have missed out on FBI probes and Asst. Coaches getting arrested for “ closing on big recruits” how???

Dude/dudette (wanted to be polically correct here), you really think EVERY great programs like Villanova cheated? Or Gonzaga or even MSU or IU cheated.
Don't be so naive. I can't wait for those programs to get busted like everyone here so we can recruit on a level playing field but not everyone cheated.

Again, Biggie benefited from those 7-footers, but it's hard to argue that they were the main reason he picked Purdue... I mean, those 2 were on the roster when Biggie tried to commit to Cal, and then when he did pick Mich St. It's not like Painter and/or others forgot to mention the dual 7-footers early on and just happened to think of it after he committed to MSU. Biggie was acutely aware.
Not really hard to argue at all. In fact, it's the best argument in the world. Why do you think his guardian convinced him it was the best place? Easy answer. Because it was.

I'm more inclined to believe he chose MSU because he couldn't see through the slick sales pitch. His guardian saw it, though.

I honestly don't know how Izzo even had any time for recruiting with all that work he was going to do for the "Survivors".

Not MSU.....their Final Fours have been falling off theses last several years...
Tommy’s getting old and his lack of moral compass is catching up to him.
What? MSU definitely plays in the champions classic that happens on the first day of college basketball every year.... they play Kansas this year.

Reactions: Rpmike333
Painters best ops in the past at making a final four run have been just hit with untimely injuries. Purdue was 3rd in the country late Feb when Rob when went down. That team wasn’t just beating people; but steam rolling everyone; at I believe they not only would have went that year but also hung a national championship.
I don’t know if Purdue would have beaten nova last year with a healthy Haas; but we’ll never know. They couldn’t hold him at Mackey and that game came down to the last possession.

Reactions: mathboy
Dude/dudette (wanted to be polically correct here), you really think EVERY great programs like Villanova cheated? Or Gonzaga or even MSU or IU cheated.
Don't be so naive. I can't wait for those programs to get busted like everyone here so we can recruit on a level playing field but not everyone cheated.

I was just taking in the list given in the statement.....And they have pretty much all been under investigation for one thing or another in the past few years. No everyone doesn’t cheat but when onementions finding an Assistant to “close” so Painter can keep out of it says all Pretty much says it all.

Said that we allow ourselves as a basketball school to be put on the same pedestal as Nebraska, Penn State, Northwestern, and Rutgers
It was a factually incorrect statement. Clearly something that doesn't stop you from pushing your own agenda, since you completely rely on them. So I see why pointing it out bothers you.

Anyone discounting Painter getting Biggie because of his dad need to realize that Hall was leaning Purdue but has several adults and relatives pushing him to M$U so you can’t blame Painter on that.

Also JJJ regrets choosing MSU. I don’t know if he would have picked Purdue but he wishes he would have gone somewhere that he could have played more and get past the round of 32. And anyone saying “well he was the 4th pick”, he could have gone to Ivy Tech and still would have been #4.

I’ve heard a lot of buzz around Malik Hall going to MSU.

One of my sources, someone who I trust a lot, shared this earlier today:

It’s not looking promising for Purdue.

Reactions: TroubleWSnap
Not really hard to argue at all. In fact, it's the best argument in the world. Why do you think his guardian convinced him it was the best place? Easy answer. Because it was.

I'm more inclined to believe he chose MSU because he couldn't see through the slick sales pitch. His guardian saw it, though.
Maybe so on the last part, I kind of tend to agree. But I think we're talking past each other. If it were the best argument and the one that BIGGIE valued the most, he wouldn't have came out with a top 3 that didn't have Purdue in it just a mere few weeks before he committed to Purdue. That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Yes, the roster made a lot practical sense and the complimentary pieces at Purdue worked to his advantage, but it obviously wasn't what mattered to HIM the most (unless of course you mean AFTER Barnes wouldn't approve/sign for him to go to his first choice or the school that he actually committed to first).

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I know we don't have one that can close. If my reasonable suggestion rub you the wrong way then you need to grow thicker skin.

Schilling and Fife are closers and the sad truth is we don't have one.

We have some great talent in Boogie, Eastern, Haarms, and maybe Wheeler. But we have no depth of talent. Thats what hurt last year. Based on what I saw on the super secret scrimmage post, Painter apparently started both Cline and Eifert, who both had a large number of minutes. You can see how that worked out in the results of the game, not that the game mattered. If that's his plan moving forward, then he's either not developing talent that sat on the bench/redshirted last year or he's not recruiting the right players, either of which I find disturbing. The fact that he's playing a walk on with marginal talent that kind of minutes in a scrimmage that's generally used to develop talent is mind boggling.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
Anyone discounting Painter getting Biggie because of his dad need to realize that Hall was leaning Purdue but has several adults and relatives pushing him to M$U so you can’t blame Painter on that.

Also JJJ regrets choosing MSU. I don’t know if he would have picked Purdue but he wishes he would have gone somewhere that he could have played more and get past the round of 32. And anyone saying “well he was the 4th pick”, he could have gone to Ivy Tech and still would have been #4.
Where did you see that he regrets choosing MSU?

I’ve heard a lot of buzz around Malik Hall going to MSU.

One of my sources, someone who I trust a lot, shared this earlier today:

It’s not looking promising for Purdue.
I believe we aren’t going to get him, but that reasoning makes no sense. Why would we have made his final 3 if he believes Purdue can’t win in March, and that’s his criteria?

Reactions: Schnelk
It was a factually incorrect statement. Clearly something that doesn't stop you from pushing your own agenda, since you completely rely on them. So I see why pointing it out bothers you.

That's what you got out of that? Because he forgot to put Iowa? Jesus so Purdue, Nebraska, Northwestern, Rutgers, Penn State AND Iowa haven't made a FF in 39 years. Good company to be in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT