ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Decision

It's been 14 years. He's had his chance to adapt his recruiting, whether that be his style, approach, and/or staff, and it clearly hasn't been good enough. This crap keeps happening.
Sir can I put my 2 cents in this comment. I went through the recruiting process from 8th year till my son committed. My son chose Purdue bcuz of many factors but mostly bcuz this team has made the NCAA Tournament and that was important for him and me definitely why some kids bypass home schools to go to a school that has been successful making the tournament why Evan is here. Kids are drawn to the name of a school name of a coach and yes most of those schools all have been successful in tournament play final 4 championship and natl Championship why those schools get those players. U no how many teams that are in power 4 conferences hasn’t made a tournament in years let alone 2 sweet 16 tournament births some of you act like is easy to just make the tournament year in and out look at my state school plenty of talent in Illinois and most of the kids in the state going elsewhere to at least give themselves an opportunity to play on a team that has a chance to make the tournament.
As a parent who went through the process it’s more to this recruitment than many of you might think unless you have gone through it dirty is politics it’s many things that go on that I can’t speak of. Loyola got to a final 4 right problematical will get some in state talented kids and some out of state kids bcuz they made it to the final 4 b4 that they were not getting no in state players or top 100 players they did this season bcuz they made it to a final 4. So did northwestern sometimes ur success attracts the kids to your program and that is what I see happening to Purdue.
This roster is full of players that people look as young and inexperienced but yet all had great season won state title was huge to their teams success. Put them all together this team has all the ingredients to be a final 4 team why bcuz they has youth size length athleticism more experienced players than they getting credit for to be serious contenders for big 10 title and make a deep run in the tournament this year yes I’m saying it bcuz I BELIEVE in this team I’m not delusional I’m a parent who knows basketball and seen it all not bcuz my son is a ball player but bcuz I played and I’m a license referees and I have a lot of over hype kids that get the attention that the 3/4 star players don’t but end up Turning out better than what a ranking guy say they are. My son is on this team I believe in his abilities and I believe in every player on this team all they need is a litttle time to find their identity which will be opposite of what years past team has been but a team that still has shooters not traditional bigs but now more play makers you need all that too to be successful too.
This team has what it takes to be very very good and has a mixture of pieces to be very dangerous by big 10 play let’s watch this team find there identity we all may be surprised at as season play out we all may have change of hearts of ur thinking of painter. Look at these pieces he’s put together take notice he’s rolling with what he’s got no grad transfer just Evan but trusting in his seniors his all American and his young talent he will mold them shape them he’ll get all he can out of them but gonna be fun to watch them grow and mature as a team and be a dangerous team as season play on. Painter got a team that could shock the college world just like Loyola and Kansas state who beat Kentucky did. I’m buying stock now.

Seems odd that Fife was still calling KB Sr. As of yesterday. Well, I guess MSU lands another recruit late in the game. Hopefully, there is a plan to end the 2019 class.

You assume that we don't have one. I mean do you know for a fact why some recruits don't pick us? What is the silver bullet that is being missed?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, it's just that your comment rubs me the wrong way because it makes it sound like everything is in a vacuum and without knowing the real reason people pick someone else over us, just throwing a different recruiter at it may not be necessarily what is missing.

I know we don't have one that can close. If my reasonable suggestion rub you the wrong way then you need to grow thicker skin.

Schilling and Fife are closers and the sad truth is we don't have one.

I know we don't have one that can close. If my reasonable suggestion rub you the wrong way then you need to grow thicker skin.

Telling McNut to grow some thicker skin? Hell here was me hoping he’d just grow a spine.

Oh so you're in on all of these recruiting meetings to know what is going on? Do tell!

And no, your responses don't rub me the wrong way. I would have to take you seriously first for that to happen dude.

Oh so you're in on all of these recruiting meetings to know what is going on? Do tell!

And no, your responses don't rub me the wrong way. I would have to take you seriously first for that to happen dude.

Doesn’t take genius to understand that Painter SUCKS at closing on top end talent?

"It's crazy how invested these fans are in my brothers decision...it's what's best for him. So talk all ya want his real fans care about him and wherever he chooses to go we will support him. Malik Hall is an amazing player with lots of potential."

This came from Hall's sisters twitter-

Sir can I put my 2 cents in this comment. I went through the recruiting process from 8th year till my son committed. My son chose Purdue bcuz of many factors but mostly bcuz this team has made the NCAA Tournament and that was important for him and me definitely why some kids bypass home schools to go to a school that has been successful making the tournament why Evan is here. Kids are drawn to the name of a school name of a coach and yes most of those schools all have been successful in tournament play final 4 championship and natl Championship why those schools get those players. U no how many teams that are in power 4 conferences hasn’t made a tournament in years let alone 2 sweet 16 tournament births some of you act like is easy to just make the tournament year in and out look at my state school plenty of talent in Illinois and most of the kids in the state going elsewhere to at least give themselves an opportunity to play on a team that has a chance to make the tournament.
As a parent who went through the process it’s more to this recruitment than many of you might think unless you have gone through it dirty is politics it’s many things that go on that I can’t speak of. Loyola got to a final 4 right problematical will get some in state talented kids and some out of state kids bcuz they made it to the final 4 b4 that they were not getting no in state players or top 100 players they did this season bcuz they made it to a final 4. So did northwestern sometimes ur success attracts the kids to your program and that is what I see happening to Purdue.
This roster is full of players that people look as young and inexperienced but yet all had great season won state title was huge to their teams success. Put them all together this team has all the ingredients to be a final 4 team why bcuz they has youth size length athleticism more experienced players than they getting credit for to be serious contenders for big 10 title and make a deep run in the tournament this year yes I’m saying it bcuz I BELIEVE in this team I’m not delusional I’m a parent who knows basketball and seen it all not bcuz my son is a ball player but bcuz I played and I’m a license referees and I have a lot of over hype kids that get the attention that the 3/4 star players don’t but end up Turning out better than what a ranking guy say they are. My son is on this team I believe in his abilities and I believe in every player on this team all they need is a litttle time to find their identity which will be opposite of what years past team has been but a team that still has shooters not traditional bigs but now more play makers you need all that too to be successful too.
This team has what it takes to be very very good and has a mixture of pieces to be very dangerous by big 10 play let’s watch this team find there identity we all may be surprised at as season play out we all may have change of hearts of ur thinking of painter. Look at these pieces he’s put together take notice he’s rolling with what he’s got no grad transfer just Evan but trusting in his seniors his all American and his young talent he will mold them shape them he’ll get all he can out of them but gonna be fun to watch them grow and mature as a team and be a dangerous team as season play on. Painter got a team that could shock the college world just like Loyola and Kansas state who beat Kentucky did. I’m buying stock now.
Thank you for this. It's wonderful to hear from someone that actually went through the process as opposed to forum speculators that never have.

Ah, yes, the classic "Biggie" argument. HE PICKED MSU FIRST! Purdue was fortunate to have Rosie Barnes on our side.
And all of what you posted here doesn't discount what I said. In fact it just makes you look more, out of touch. Sorry dude, you're statement was proven wrong, just move on.

Thank you for this. It's wonderful to hear from someone that actually went through the process as opposed to forum speculators that never have.

So you have to physically be present to understand that whatever Painter is preaching to top end talent isn’t working for it to be valid? How many top 50 recruits has he landed? But we can’t conclude his schtick ain’t working? Give me break.

I hope you are right! My main point was, I'm less concerned about THIS year's team, and more concerned about the future.

Not getting a kid like Malik Hall -- a kid who Purdue and Coach Painter recruited longer and prioritized more than any other school did -- is what concerns me.

The announcement hasn't even been made and the usual suspects are already throwing their tantrums. o_O

Yep and there’s Mother Hen here to hold our hands and tell us what a great coach Painter is, how he’ll eventually get better if we give him more time, recruiting is better yada, yada. 14 years. Sweet 16 ceiling. Can’t close on top targets. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Question have any of you been in the room with a recruit as a recruiter I was in those rooms with every recruiter and heard each pitch. I’m telling you it’s more to it than I will explain. Kids and parents makes those choices coaches cannot force a kid to come to a school yes Mich st was all over my son so was many others including our in state schools my son chose Purdue bcuz what he felt right to him opportunities of playing time etc. blaming the coaches for not landing certain players bcuz some of you think they can’t close boy you have no clue what is being said how it’s being said in those rooms or phone calls is more than any of you would no but yet some of you blame these coaches for not getting certain players bcuz some of you think they not doing enough land top 50 kids they are doing what all they can do to land that said kid but sir they cannot force a kid on a program or make them come to Purdue so many factors in play why they go elsewhere some are academics think about that that may play a role as well as other factors we are in that room or there hse gearing what is being said. I no what sold me and my son on Purdue and my son has the academics to get in wasn’t easy but he busted his but academically to get into Purdue. These coaches are all good dudes there doing their job and landing very good talent that is trending in the right direction that will have Purdue playing for big 10 championships and natl championships stop looking at rankings as a solution that changes ur program but rather look into the team chemistry that has to fit all together to make it work as a team.

Question have any of you been in the room with a recruit as a recruiter I was in those rooms with every recruiter and heard each pitch. I’m telling you it’s more to it than I will explain. Kids and parents makes those choices coaches cannot force a kid to come to a school yes Mich st was all over my son so was many others including our in state schools my son chose Purdue bcuz what he felt right to him opportunities of playing time etc. blaming the coaches for not landing certain players bcuz some of you think they can’t close boy you have no clue what is being said how it’s being said in those rooms or phone calls is more than any of you would no but yet some of you blame these coaches for not getting certain players bcuz some of you think they not doing enough land top 50 kids they are doing what all they can do to land that said kid but sir they cannot force a kid on a program or make them come to Purdue so many factors in play why they go elsewhere some are academics think about that that may play a role as well as other factors we are in that room or there hse gearing what is being said. I no what sold me and my son on Purdue and my son has the academics to get in wasn’t easy but he busted his but academically to get into Purdue. These coaches are all good dudes there doing their job and landing very good talent that is trending in the right direction that will have Purdue playing for big 10 championships and natl championships stop looking at rankings as a solution that changes ur program but rather look into the team chemistry that has to fit all together to make it work as a team.
Bravo. Just, bravo. Can your post be pinned or something at the top so everyone thinking they know what is going on can read it? Please mods?

lol okay, you're prerogative to continue looking foolish. Not gonna bother me any.

Dude, what do you not understand? Biggie chose MSU originally, because that's the school he actually wanted to go to, for many of the same reasons a lot of these kids are picking MSU over Purdue.

Fortunately, he had a resource of immense reason, knowledge, and maturity in his corner -- Barnes, who also just happened to have a strong, direct tie to Purdue.

If you can't acknowledge that Purdue had some good fortune with that, then you're the one who is delusional.

Yep and there’s Mother Hen here to hold our hands and tell us what a great coach Painter is, how he’ll eventually get better if we give him more time, recruiting is better yada, yada. 14 years. Sweet 16 ceiling. Can’t close on top targets. Rinse, wash, repeat.
lol. Some children hold their breath when they throw a tantrum. I recommend you try it. 10 minutes should do it... :D

"It's crazy how invested these fans are in my brothers decision...it's what's best for him. So talk all ya want his real fans care about him and wherever he chooses to go we will support him. Malik Hall is an amazing player with lots of potential."

This came from Hall's sisters twitter-

If she is talking about going to PU...…….then she is dead on!

So you have to physically be present to understand that whatever Painter is preaching to top end talent isn’t working for it to be valid? How many top 50 recruits has he landed? But we can’t conclude his schtick ain’t working? Give me break.
So what do you think he is suppose to do and if that is a problem not being mean why do you bother following Purdue basketball if painter isn’t getting it done I’m your personal opinion. Do you have a solution to fix it. Call Hall parents or any other top 25/50 recruit on twitter or Instagram ask them what is their criteria they want out of a school and see what they say. I see your passion maybe your frustration but sir real talk kids or top 50 players committing elsewhere has absolutely nothing to do with a coaches pitch but others things you or I have no idea why they go elsewhere I can only speak of my experience and others I no why and trust me it’s more than what you think you no why kids who are 17/19 choose others schools than Purdue. Jumping the gun on coaches who run a clean program and sell there program they doing what others are doing maybe not they way you think they are.

It's okay if you are an IU fan. You can tell them. What they dont like is when IU fans make Purdue named usernames and act like a Purdue fan while actually talking about how "Purdue sucks" and "iu is awesome ".
Ding ding ding. Something babs doesn't get.

Ah, yes, the classic "Biggie" argument. HE PICKED MSU FIRST! Purdue was fortunate to have Rosie Barnes on our side.

Painter put Biggie in a position to be runner up for NPOTY and get the numbers to get drafted even with all the knocks on athleticism and size. Biggie admitted he made the right choice and he didn’t pick Purdue because of Barnes wanting him to go to Purdue. He picked it because he could play PF with two 7 footers on the roster and he would have been a 5 at MSU. Biggie knew he would be a 4 in the NBA and wanted to play the 4.

JJJ didn’t say that on his way out. He was throwing shade. Izzo going hard on Hall because he is going to miss on all the other targets. If Hall picks MSU so be it. I hope he doesn’t get screwed over. I like Hall, I want him to be successful. Not a fan of MSU or their coach. I think Hall would be better served at Purdue. It is what it is.

Painter put Biggie in a position to be runner up for NPOTY and get the numbers to get drafted even with all the knocks on athleticism and size. Biggie admitted he made the right choice and he didn’t pick Purdue because of Barnes wanting him to go to Purdue. He picked it because he could play PF with two 7 footers on the roster and he would have been a 5 at MSU. Biggie knew he would be a 4 in the NBA and wanted to play the 4.

JJJ didn’t say that on his way out. He was throwing shade. Izzo going hard on Hall because he is going to miss on all the other targets. If Hall picks MSU so be it. I hope he doesn’t get screwed over. I like Hall, I want him to be successful. Not a fan of MSU or their coach. I think Hall would be better served at Purdue. It is what it is.

I agree -- I think Hall would be better off at Purdue. But, it's hard to expect an 18 year old to not pick the shiny toy that is MSU basketball.

Purdue and Painter absolutely put Biggie in a good position. But you've got to at least acknowledge the Barnes situation played a big role. If memory serves, days before he committed to MSU (or maybe it was when he committed) he announced his top 3 were MSU, Cal, and UK. Purdue was at best his #4. A month later, he's decommitted from MSU and picking Purdue. I also don't think it's any closely guarded secret that his initial plan was to go to Cal and Barnes put his foot down and wasn't going to sign the parental consent (or whatever it is parents have to sign in those situations).

So he most certainly did not do a focused evaluation of each school and conclude convincingly that Purdue was the best place for him. He actually had wanted to choose Cal, and did choose MSU, both over Purdue. The fact that he was incredibly successful at Purdue doesn't refute that. It worked out for both sides in the long run as Purdue got 2 years of really good play and national recognition out of him, and he got to be the focal point of the team in year 2 and got drafted after putting up big numbers. But for Biggie, ending up at Purdue was a fair amount more chance than choice, IMO. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Parents play a big role in school selection all the time, you just notice these circumstances more when its your team (and when the kid goes rogue and commits to a school said parent wasn't signing off on).

Reactions: BoilerDeac
I'm still holding out hope. I am not going to put 100% faith into what some recruiters say. They probably saw that he started to follow a few MS players recently on Twitter. Either way, we will know tomorrow morning. He is releasing his video at 10 am. If he wants to be a Boiler, I will welcome him to the family. If he decides to go elsewhere, I will wish him good luck. We all have to make decisions in life. He will do what he feels is best for him. This is not Painter's decision, the assistant coaches decision or the fans decision. This is Malik's decision.

I'm as disappointed as the next guy about not getting these guys for whatever reason but I do like Painter. Honestly, Purdue traditionally doesn't get the big time guys but they do win. Heck I believe Painter has more 25 win seasons than Keady and just came off a school record 30 wins. So he's getting it done with "lesser recruits " than many. He's changing the type of players he's getting and is finalist for guys we wouldn't have been before. Once you're in the tournament, getting to the final four is a crap shoot for the most part. And other than his first year and those 2 bad anomaly seasons, he's put us there with a chance.

Purdue and Painter absolutely put Biggie in a good position. But you've got to at least acknowledge the Barnes situation played a big role. If memory serves, days before he committed to MSU (or maybe it was when he committed) he announced his top 3 were MSU, Cal, and UK. Purdue was at best his #4. A month later, he's decommitted from MSU and picking Purdue. I also don't think it's any closely guarded secret that his initial plan was to go to Cal and Barnes put his foot down and wasn't going to sign the parental consent (or whatever it is parents have to sign in those situations).

So he most certainly did not do a focused evaluation of each school and conclude convincingly that Purdue was the best place for him. He actually had wanted to choose Cal, and did choose MSU, both over Purdue. The fact that he was incredibly successful at Purdue doesn't refute that. It worked out for both sides in the long run as Purdue got 2 years of really good play and national recognition out of him, and he got to be the focal point of the team in year 2 and got drafted after putting up big numbers. But for Biggie, ending up at Purdue was a fair amount more chance than choice, IMO. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Parents play a big role in school selection all the time, you just notice these circumstances more when its your team (and when the kid goes rogue and commits to a school said parent wasn't signing off on).
I believe that the most important factor was that Hammons and Haas were at Purdue, filling the center spot 2 deep. Had he gone to MSU, he would have played center, no matter what Izzo promised him. His development for the NBA would have been much slower. It would have been irresponsible for his guardian not to point that out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT