ADVERTISEMENT

Lost to a team…

When their QB went 6/21. Nuff said.

Can we fast forward 2 years to the new coaching search? That will sadly be the next exciting Purdue moment. See you guys then.
Different QB and we would have won. His holding the ball way to long and turnovers have cost us. Terrible decision making.

Different QB and we would have won. His holding the ball way to long and turnovers have cost us. Terrible decision making.
Did not see the game. But I was telling my wife, if HC RW is good at portal stuff we could be an inviting place to play QB for a year or two. Card is a nice athlete at best; he ain’t the guy.

Reactions: pboiler18
Defense gave up one big play. Card has struggled, but who do you replace him with? I’m not going to throw away any hope in the coach because he walked into a situation where there were no QBs and the one he got in the portal didn’t pan out. If we have a capable qb today we win

Defense gave up one big play. Card has struggled, but who do you replace him with? I’m not going to throw away any hope in the coach because he walked into a situation where there were no QBs and the one he got in the portal didn’t pan out. If we have a capable qb today we win
The defense, beginning with the 2nd half of the wisky game, has played pretty well. The offense just seems to be missing something.

Right after he gave Mockobee a scholarship, he should have had a long talk with Brady Allen.

Can we fast forward 2 years to the new coaching search? That will sadly be the next exciting Purdue moment. See you guys then.
Wow. 2-4 and you’ve got him fired already. Maybe hold off on the gloom and doom until Walters has had a chance to recruit a couple more classes of his players. Personally, I think he’ll get things headed in the right direction. This ain’t Hazell 2.0.

The defense, beginning with the 2nd half of the wisky game, has played pretty well. The offense just seems to be missing something.
Yep. Defense is not our problem right now. We got lots of stops yesterday after they got great field position. This isn't something we have been able to say for a while. Card needs to get himself together or we need to figure out something fast.

Reactions: bonefish1
Wow. 2-4 and you’ve got him fired already. Maybe hold off on the gloom and doom until Walters has had a chance to recruit a couple more classes of his players. Personally, I think he’ll get things headed in the right direction. This ain’t Hazell 2.0.
Nope. Somewhere directly in between Hope and Hazell…which means no bowl games for us still!

If we had playmakers at WR today, we win. That wasn't all on Card.

ARY - 5 targets - 1 catch (2 deep balls dropped)
Burks - 9 targets - 4 catches (1 deep ball dropped)

This team has no WR's who can get separation and catch the ball...

If we had playmakers at WR today, we win. That wasn't all on Card.

ARY - 5 targets - 1 catch (2 deep balls dropped)
Burks - 9 targets - 4 catches (1 deep ball dropped)

This team has no WR's who can get separation and catch the ball...
Tend to agree with this. Sometimes your WR has to make a great catch. A catch that makes you jump up and yell. We didn’t have any of those yesterday. That’s probably what separates a 3 star and a 4 star recruit.

Tend to agree with this. Sometimes your WR has to make a great catch. A catch that makes you jump up and yell. We didn’t have any of those yesterday. That’s probably what separates a 3 star and a 4 star recruit.
Yaseen was a 4 star.

But more to your point. I was watching the astros yesterday. The momentum had shifted big time to the Twins. Then, Alvarez bangs his 2nd homer, and it's damn, "I'm glad we got that guy". Purdue doesn't have that guy this year.

Did not see the game. But I was telling my wife, if HC RW is good at portal stuff we could be an inviting place to play QB for a year or two. Card is a nice athlete at best; he ain’t the guy.
Card is good but his strengths and weaknesses are not equally distributed. Purdue has to use him correctly to get the most out of him.

If he has time he can throw an accurate ball and go through progressions. He can also create from broken plays get outside the pocket and make accurate throws on the run.

His weakness is being able to throw under pressure and pocket presence. He's not able to step and move comfortably in the pocket, many times actually stepping right into the rush instead of away from it.

He also seems to get frustrated if things aren't going well and make increasingly risky decisions cumulating in that nonsensical backwards pass (yes it's 4th down but the pass only 5-10 yards and could have been a pick six, there was enough time left) and the game ending interception.
He's suffering from mental fatigue basically.

Purdue needs to get him quick throws where the ball is out fast preferably in play action to keep the rush off. If they have to throw deep just run 3 routes and have a RB and a TE both blocking.

If it's an obvious blitz have him take the snap under center and make hot read

I am not giving up on this staff yet but without a doubt Card should have been benched after the 2nd int or after the third toss the ball over his head while taking a sack. Inexcusable play from a guy who has been in college 3 years.

I don’t care what you think you do or do not have on the bench, undisciplined (boneheaded) plays like that cannot go unpunished.

I am not giving up on this staff yet but without a doubt Card should have been benched after the 2nd int or after the third toss the ball over his head while taking a sack. Inexcusable play from a guy who has been in college 3 years.

I don’t care what you think you do or do not have on the bench, undisciplined (boneheaded) plays like that cannot go unpunished.
Bench him and then what?

I don't think they have a viable starter as a backup.

We did see him at least throw the ball away after that backwards overhead toss so apparently they said something.

Card really can't handle the rush and the OL isn't at the level to give him a clean pocket consistently.

The coaches have to give him more quick throws, play action, RPO and keep in RB and a TE to block on 3rd and long

Reactions: boilermaker75
Bench him and then what?

We did see him at least throw the ball away after that backwards overhead toss so apparently they said something.

Card really can't handle the rush and the OL isn't at the level to give him a clean pocket consistently.

The coaches have to give him more quick throws, play action, RPO and keep in RB and a TE to block on 3rd and long
I am not saying bench him forever but you also can’t allow a qb to make that many dumb decisions. He threw the ball up for grabs at least 3 times while being sacked and had 2 other ints. Plus at least 3 of the sacks he took were 100% on him. You can’t convince me the person behind him would have played any worse than that. And hopefully you teach Card an important lesson.

Or just keep letting him play like that and lose more games. Benching has always been the ultimate motivation for players.

And Card had many quick throws called and he didn’t pull the trigger. Way too much holding the ball. Felt like he had enough time to go through 4-5 options on several of the sacks. Imo there isn’t a qb on the planet that could have played worse than Card yesterday.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Bench him and then what?

For the record I am not completely letting the coaches off the hook. I agree with you that they need to coach him up and call plays to Cards strengths. But even with everything else remaining the same yesterday we win if Card is even average.

Reactions: pboiler18
this is why I thought Wright was a big loss and not getting Prather in the portal hurt, what about the OL? there were 12 TfL's yesterday

Last edited:
Reactions: purduepat1969
I am not saying bench him forever but you also can’t allow a qb to make that many dumb decisions. He threw the ball up for grabs at least 3 times while being sacked and had 2 other ints. Plus at least 3 of the sacks he took were 100% on him. You can’t convince me the person behind him would have played any worse than that. And hopefully you teach Card an important lesson.

Or just keep letting him play like that and lose more games. Benching has always been the ultimate motivation for players.

And Card had many quick throws called and he didn’t pull the trigger. Way too much holding the ball. Felt like he had enough time to go through 4-5 options on several of the sacks. Imo there isn’t a qb on the planet that could have played worse than Card yesterday.
There's 10 other players on the field. OL was allowing pressure and the receivers weren't getting separation. Card made mistakes but everyone has to play better it's not all on him.

There's 10 other players on the field. OL was allowing pressure and the receivers weren't getting separation. Card made mistakes but everyone has to play better it's not all on him.
Not gonna argue with you. What you say is also true. But the things Card did, under pressure or no was inexcusable for even a high school qb. Throwing the ball away, taking a sack, or trying to fit the ball into tight spots are all better options than throwing it up for grabs while getting sacked.

I bet if you looked at all 6 of the sacks Card took, at least half were because he held the ball too long.

Card has shown the ability to be good. I would have pulled him 100% after just tossing the ball over his head rather than throwing the ball downfield even into coverage before the pressure got home.

And they beat us by 30 if their qb was even avg.
Agree but I am not going to try to fix Iowa’s problems. Qb was the biggest issue we had yesterday. We need to try to fix that. And yes some of that can be fixed with coaching and play calling.

Agree but I am not going to try to fix Iowa’s problems. Qb was the biggest issue we had yesterday. We need to try to fix that. And yes some of that can be fixed with coaching and play calling.
just looked at iowa's schedule, they have a pretty easy one this year

the defense allowed johnson and williams to run for 208. that had a lot to do with the loss. six sacks due to poor line play, holding the ball too long or receivers not getting open, no one seems to agree on the failure of our passing game.

Silly talk in this thread.
Harrell needs to help Card and the line out and run more air raid style offense with quick passing. He has done it sparingly at best. We have run more RPO which takes more time. Card didn’t play well at all against Iowa. Holding the ball forever, running backwards for 10 or more yards to take a sack or throw an intentional grounding at the end is entirely on him. It’s all fixable but Harrell needs to adjust to help and coach better during practice.

What a crying ass baby. Who was ready to lose it on someone if they weren’t supportive enough of brohm

• Wow
Reactions: GolfHacker1
What a crying ass baby. Who was ready to lose it on someone if they weren’t supportive enough of brohm
lol. For a guy who spends all his spare time trolling other boards I’m glad youve spared the other fan bases to embarrass yourself here.

Football was never this bad while Brohm was here, all the While you spent all your time blasting kids that you think didn’t belong playing at this level. Even Hope was a better gameday coach than what we are seeing trotted out week after week here.

Not a crybaby. Just a realist.

lol. For a guy who spends all his spare time trolling other boards I’m glad youve spared the other fan bases to embarrass yourself here.

Football was never this bad while Brohm was here, all the While you spent all your time blasting kids that you think didn’t belong playing at this level. Even Hope was a better gameday coach than what we are seeing trotted out week after week here.

Welcome back. Good to see you. Has it been 2 years already?

actually Purdue had some bad games with Brohm, a couple i can remember is the Iowa game last year, the TCU game 2019, Illinois game 2019, to name a few, i think alot of people block those games out and want to see more games like the OSU or Tennessee game. While the team is shooting itself in the foot alot, lets see if the coaches and team can learn from these mistakes and start winning more .

Reactions: wallyboiler79

Brohm didn’t recruit his last two years you ****in idiot. Gfy

It was about depth. 1 OL out, 1 playing dinged. #1 TE out, 1 TE dinged. Safety / Cash playing dinged. #1 QB out. 2 DE out. 1 ST dinged. Over half of the starting 22 out or dinged, and over 33% of the 1-2 rotation out or dinged.

I posted it last winter on here when people wanted to argue, but Saturday's game was about depth, and depth is the game inside the game.

I said I'd come back to take credit or blame for all of my predictions. The only one I was incorrect about was Charlie Jones. Partially incorrect. Special teams is his role, but he did take snaps at WR, and that part I was incorrect about.

So almost 100% correct, notwithstanding those who ripped into me about my football knowledge. I'd like them to come back and break down Purdue's O Line play. That would be revealing.

I was especially correct about Purdue's offense, and not for the reasons people are bitching on this message board about.

At least you guys on here are mostly friendly. I don't have a dog in the fight, but both Indiana and Indiana State's (especially Indiana State) baseball fans are trash. There is a percentage of Indiana football fans who are also trash. The most arrogant fan base pre football game I've ever seen, and I've been to every B1G stadium, and almost every B1G team's football practices.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT