ADVERTISEMENT

The 2022 class is going to be true juniors next year

Who's fault was it when Brohm went 4-8 in year 3? And worse the year after? Did you raise hell about that?
Brohm won more B1G games in his first season than his predecessor won in 4 seasons, and won a bowl game. Then went to another bowl in year 2. That buys you a lot of goodwill.

Walters hasn’t earned that yet.

Brohm won more B1G games in his first season than his predecessor won in 4 seasons, and won a bowl game. Then went to another bowl in year 2. That buys you a lot of goodwill.

Sure it did and he was paid well for it. Brohm had two quarterbacks to start with as well. Something you refuse to acknowledge. You don't think that Walters could have won a couple more games if he had started with two decent quarterbacks? Brohm always had his sights set southward. His long term focus was never on Purdue. He could have turned Purdue into another Clemson(a school with similar fanbase and resources) if he had his focus on doing so. So we end up with his tenure 2 games over .500. If that is all you wanted that is all you got. Thank him for his service and move on. He didn't give us all he had and anyone that thinks he did is wearing rose colored glasses.

Correct. 13-13 when his predecessor was awful. Then 4-8 losing your QB and All American. It was ugly but you can be afford to be patient.

2020 was concerning at 2-4 BUT we got screwed at Minnesota and Covid ILs took away a lot of our depth.

2021 was a prove it year and Brohm did. 2022 was solid as well. It was an easier schedule…but we also won.

Also winning a lot of games vs ranked teams bought Brohm a lot of goodwill.

Bottom line, I want Purdue to be successful. I also understand we likely have a ceiling because of the level of talent we just won’t get not being a blue blood or playing the NIl game.

That said, I’m going to say something when I see the staff not getting the most out of what it does have.

Reactions: WarrenCoBoiler
Sure it did and he was paid well for it. Brohm had two quarterbacks to start with as well. Something you refuse to acknowledge. You don't think that Walters could have won a couple more games if he had started with two decent quarterbacks? Brohm always had his sights set southward. His long term focus was never on Purdue. He could have turned Purdue into another Clemson(a school with similar fanbase and resources) if he had his focus on doing so. So we end up with his tenure 2 games over .500. If that is all you wanted that is all you got. Thank him for his service and move on. He didn't give us all he had and anyone that thinks he did is wearing rose colored glasses.
This is all BS.

1. Brohm was not always 1 foot out the door. If he was, why didn’t he go to Tennessee after year 1? Why didn’t he go to UL when they called the first time? This narrative is BS.
2. Walters brought in a good enough to win with. Just like Brohm would have if he were still here.
3. Purdue would never have turned into a Clemson. You severely underestimate the alumni base and resources they have. Sure, they have less alumni but it’s a pro sports wasteland there and the alumni base are rabid football supporters. Purdue just doesn’t have that. Have to remember that Clemson has had big time nationally relevant stretches pretty much each decade and won NCs in the past as well. We also don’t have the recruiting ground they do.

Brohm leaving didn’t keep us from becoming a Giant. Brohm left because he could go to his Alma mater that’s better supported for NIL. Can’t fault him for that

Correct. 13-13 when his predecessor was awful. Then 4-8 losing your QB and All American. It was ugly but you can be afford to be patient.

2020 was concerning at 2-4 BUT we got screwed at Minnesota and Covid ILs took away a lot of our depth.

2021 was a prove it year and Brohm did. 2022 was solid as well. It was an easier schedule…but we also won.

Also winning a lot of games vs ranked teams bought Brohm a lot of goodwill.

Bottom line, I want Purdue to be successful. I also understand we likely have a ceiling because of the level of talent we just won’t get not being a blue blood or playing the NIl game.

That said, I’m going to say something when I see the staff not getting the most out of what it does have
It's still your opinion and trashing Walters at every turn when many times it is obvious that you don't know what the hell you are talking about is childish. And some of us on here are going to call YOU out on it.

This is all BS.

1. Brohm was not always 1 foot out the door. If he was, why didn’t he go to Tennessee after year 1? Why didn’t he go to UL when they called the first time? This narrative is BS.
2. Walters brought in a good enough to win with. Just like Brohm would have if he were still here.
3. Purdue would never have turned into a Clemson. You severely underestimate the alumni base and resources they have. Sure, they have less alumni but it’s a pro sports wasteland there and the alumni base are rabid football supporters. Purdue just doesn’t have that. Have to remember that Clemson has had big time nationally relevant stretches pretty much each decade and won NCs in the past as well. We also don’t have the recruiting ground they do.

Brohm leaving didn’t keep us from becoming a Giant. Brohm left because he could go to his Alma mater that’s better supported for NIL. Can’t fault him for that
Brohm was ALWAYS one foot out the door. That you didn't see that shows you don't know shit from shinola about anything. The guy is smart. It's all about timing. As to Clemson, half of my family members graduated from Clemson. My uncle played quarterback for Clemson( He's 91 now and can still throw a better spiral than our backup quarterback as evidenced by NW). You don't know anything about Clemson. Do you know anything about Purdue? Doesn't seem like you know much of anything except how to bitch about Walters.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
He had 2 quarterbacks who won a total of 1 B1G game between them the year before. Let’s not pretend otherwise.

And he didn’t have a portal to go fill holes with, like Walters did.

Bottom line: Walters and Walters only, is responsible for his performance here, or lack thereof.

Please. All of y’all are blaming Brohm’s recruiting for Walters’s performance this year. Just wondering how much longer you’re gonna do that.
If Walters got enough money to keep the players he kept and go get 4-5 guys you pay for along the lines of McCulley (2 OL, 1 mlb and 1 receiver) he needs to show improvement in year two. Brohm schmohm.

I’m not one of those people who is gonna make excuses for Scott frost in year 5. Because that’s the comparison that scares me, not Darrell hazell. I think it was excusable this year. I think next year If he goes 4-8 again against a TOUGH schedule, but we see improvement while he does it, fine. By year 3 he needs to be doing whatever it is that he’s gonna be known as.

He deserves the benefit of the doubt going into year 2. But with the support it looks like he has, he needs to show it

If Walters got enough money to keep the players he kept and go get 4-5 guys you pay for along the lines of McCulley (2 OL, 1 mlb and 1 receiver) he needs to show improvement in year two. Brohm schmohm.

I’m not one of those people who is gonna make excuses for Scott frost in year 5. Because that’s the comparison that scares me, not Darrell hazell. I think it was excusable this year. I think next year If he goes 4-8 again against a TOUGH schedule, but we see improvement while he does it, fine. By year 3 he needs to be doing whatever it is that he’s gonna be known as.

He deserves the benefit of the doubt going into year 2. But with the support it looks like he has, he needs to show it
Fair.

Let me try this one out on you

I like Walters for one reason. At least he was willing to come here. My theory on the Purdue job when it opened was this. Established good coaches like the ones people wanted instead of Walt looked at the job and said “why?”

> program historically at the bottom of a tough conference looking up
> who started scheduling a ridiculously tough OOC for no good reason
> who is perceived to have very very little NIL support

It was always going to be about Bobinski trying to buy low and win a risk. Todd monken wasn’t coming here even if he got no good offers.

I think Walters became disliked when he went public last summer about lack of NIL. The old guard at Purdue probably didn’t like that at all and it became okay to act like this guy was lovie smith in his last year by game 3.

Ironically, Walters being willing to say the uncomfortable thing has brought the support that is going to make it easy to hire the kind of coach people probably wanted this time if he ends up not working out.

I’m a fan of the guy. But the brohm era is over. He has to go out and do it now

Let me try this one out on you

I like Walters for one reason. At least he was willing to come here. My theory on the Purdue job when it opened was this. Established good coaches like the ones people wanted instead of Walt looked at the job and said “why?”

> program historically at the bottom of a tough conference looking up
> who started scheduling a ridiculously tough OOC for no good reason
> who is perceived to have very very little NIL support

It was always going to be about Bobinski trying to buy low and win a risk. Todd monken wasn’t coming here even if he got no good offers.

I think Walters became disliked when he went public last summer about lack of NIL. The old guard at Purdue probably didn’t like that at all and it became okay to act like this guy was lovie smith in his last year by game 3.

Ironically, Walters being willing to say the uncomfortable thing has brought the support that is going to make it easy to hire the kind of coach people probably wanted this time if he ends up not working out.

I’m a fan of the guy. But the brohm era is over. He has to go out and do it now
A good chunk of my issue with the Walters hire was he’s not an offensive mind, and never been a head coach before. He doesn’t fit what has worked here in the past. But we’ll see. Always a first time for everything.

A good chunk of my issue with the Walters hire was he’s not an offensive mind, and never been a head coach before. He doesn’t fit what has worked here in the past. But we’ll see. Always a first time for everything.
Yeah I think NIL changed who we can get though. I don’t think Walters was a top choice if Bobinski just had his pick. But we will see

He had 2 quarterbacks who won a total of 1 B1G game between them the year before. Let’s not pretend otherwise.

And he didn’t have a portal to go fill holes with, like Walters did.

Bottom line: Walters and Walters only, is responsible for his performance here, or lack thereof.
We are never going to agree on this one. There is no question that Blough and Sindelar had more ability than what was left for Walters to work with. Possibly better than Card is, or at least has shown. Your argument is that Brohm MADE Blough and Sindelar. While some of that I will agree with, his slightly better than .500 record and spotty development of his own quarterback recruits leads to questions. The possibility of improving a team in the portal is definitely there. We will see if Walters has the ability and support to take advantage of it.

Yeah I think NIL changed who we can get though. I don’t think Walters was a top choice if Bobinski just had his pick. But we will see
I think Bobinski did what he thought was the best he could do in the limited time he had to do it. Was it right? We'll know in a year or two.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
I think Bobinski did what he thought was the best he could do in the limited time he had to do it. Was it right? We'll know in a year or two.
Yep. But I do think Walters being the guy was word from the coaches on what they think they’ll get (or rather won’t get) in support at Purdue.

Your argument is that Brohm MADE Blough and Sindelar. While some of that I will agree with, his slightly better than .500 record and spotty development of his own quarterback recruits leads to questions
If you don’t think Blough, Sindelar and AOC improved greatly under Brohm, we will have to agree to disagree.

Or Jack Plummer for that matter.

If you don’t think Blough, Sindelar and AOC improved greatly under Brohm, we will have to agree to disagree.

You’re familiar with Jeff Christensen and throw it deep or no? Oconnell got private instruction from the same guy who worked with some dude named mahomes.

Not a little odd to you that players like sindelar and plummer had problems processing Brohm’s offense but Oconnell comes in off the bench and just starts leading comeback victories on what was otherwise a 2-8 team?

Reactions: z_one

Plummer was terrible. Simply a game manager. Seems he has seasoned. Still looked like a deer in the headlights during that UK game. AOC was good from the get go. Of course they all improved. They all were playing. Hazel was a disaster. He didn't know how to use what he had. Blough and Sindelar were better by a mile than Meredith or Brown. Brown at least has game. With some play time he might become decent.

You’re familiar with Jeff Christensen and throw it deep or no? Oconnell got private instruction from the same guy who worked with some dude named mahomes.

Not a little odd to you that players like sindelar and plummer had problems processing Brohm’s offense but Oconnell comes in off the bench and just starts leading comeback victories on what was otherwise a 2-8 team?
You’re arguing Brohm had no impact on the guy once he played him and had his as a starter for 2.5 seasons? Cmon.

I don’t disagree that it was boneheaded to not start him as our QB in 2021 but we adjusted a lot quicker than most teams do when they had a dud QB and it ended up not costing us.

Christensen is great. It’s silly to argue Brohm had no impact with him though when he developed all the other guys well who played for him.

You’re arguing Brohm had no impact on the guy once he played him and had his as a starter for 2.5 seasons? Cmon.

I don’t disagree that it was boneheaded to not start him as our QB in 2021 but we adjusted a lot quicker than most teams do when they had a dud QB and it ended up not costing us.

Christensen is great. It’s silly to argue Brohm had no impact with him though when he developed all the other guys well who played for him.
Did I say zero? Big difference between zero and everyone else seems to struggle with Brohm’s complex offense and here comes a new QB launching comebacks in game 1.

The next time one of Brohm’s recruits who isn’t in a program like throw it deep.. comes in and just hits the ground running and doesn’t look back.. will be the first

Did I say zero? Big difference between zero and everyone else seems to struggle with Brohm’s complex offense and here comes a new QB launching comebacks in game 1.

The next time one of Brohm’s recruits who isn’t in a program like throw it deep.. comes in and just hits the ground running and doesn’t look back.. will be the first
for a change of pace here, what do you think of iu's hiring of Cignetti?

We get it. You hate him.

I don’t think it’s controversial to say he didn’t recruit QBs well. Plummer sucked. He also didn’t really get to recruit a guy early on because he had Sindelar and Blough and people knew they were good enough to play from the jump and had that spot locked down through 2019.

Of course he “lucked” out with O’Connel. Just like we did with Mockobee. Just like every program does with walk ons and “under” recruited guys. It’s football. It happens. If Brohm sucked, he wouldn’t have been sent O’Connell and the QB Guru wouldn’t have sent him his kid. It’s obvious kids come from his offense and are ready for the pros. No better training than that vs running these simple, 2 read, one side of the field offenses that most schools use…and some to a lot of success just because of the athletes they have.

We don’t have that luxury here and will be bad until we find another offensive mind that can recruit, develop and polish QB play on gamedays. Card is a guy you can win with. Harrell is not, IMo.

We get it. You hate him.

I don’t think it’s controversial to say he didn’t recruit QBs well. Plummer sucked. He also didn’t really get to recruit a guy early on because he had Sindelar and Blough and people knew they were good enough to play from the jump and had that spot locked down through 2019.

Of course he “lucked” out with O’Connel. Just like we did with Mockobee. Just like every program does with walk ons and “under” recruited guys. It’s football. It happens. If Brohm sucked, he wouldn’t have been sent O’Connell and the QB Guru wouldn’t have sent him his kid. It’s obvious kids come from his offense and are ready for the pros. No better training than that vs running these simple, 2 read, one side of the field offenses that most schools use…and some to a lot of success just because of the athletes they have.

We don’t have that luxury here and will be bad until we find another offensive mind that can recruit, develop and polish QB play on gamedays. Card is a guy you can win with. Harrell is not, IMo.
I don’t hate him. I think he’s a good coach. But he knew he was going home and stopped building the roster. Joe tiller had difficulties in the back half of his Purdue tenure. It happens.

He did luck out. Programs luck out. But when they luck out, you don’t act like that was their plan. I can find the Illinois 2021 game thread for you. I can assure you brohm wasn’t as beloved in the second quarter of that game as he is by revisionists now.

I don’t hate him. I think he’s a good coach. But he knew he was going home and stopped building the roster. Joe tiller had difficulties in the back half of his Purdue tenure. It happens.

He did luck out. Programs luck out. But when they luck out, you don’t act like that was their plan. I can find the Illinois 2021 game thread for you. I can assure you brohm wasn’t as beloved in the second quarter of that game as he is by revisionists now.
I was in the stands. I heard and lived it.

No one said Brohm sucks lol what folks said is EVEN Brohm could only get two winning seasons his first four years here and EVEN Brohm had a four win season here and that's AFTER he had several years here with his system and all his players.

So maybe wait a couple of seasons before throwing in the towel.
I will wager ZERO winning seasons after year four. Easy money!

Quit making this factual shit up when you can create your own paradigm with computer generated numbers.........Moron.....tic

I was not at all happy with the Walters hire. I wanted an offensive guru to lead our team. I agree that is what has worked in the past, Tiller, Young, Brohm. So when I first heard the announcement I was WTF? I decided that I would give it time as I really had no other choice in the matter. That is still where I am. I'm not going to rip the guy until he has had a full chance to get his guys and plans in place.

Look, you’re obviously no fool. Can you just give the guy till the fall? If there’s no progress I’ll be right there with you man
Here’s a thing I think most people should see eye to eye on but for some reason we don’t…

My biggest concern was the defense. They pretty much stunk as a unit all year. But why? Especially when most players individually were better. We of course had some weak links but whereas the Defense in the past tried to hide those…we just rode it hard all year into the ground.

Recruit as we want, get NIL as we want do you realistically think Purdue will ever or has ever had the talent to run this defense? I say emphatically no. We could get better…but this defense has already shown it’s as good as its weakest link and not rising to a sum of its parts. It’s got a long way to go to even be average IMo. We had 3 INts and still gave up 31 points and buckets of yards on Saturday. That was the story of the year.

We could get stops early but 3rd and long was the money down for opposing offenses.

We could get turnovers but couldnt stop long sustained drives, made worse by the fact we could force lots of 3rd and longs but never stop the other team.

Took us 8 games to figure out we have to account for the QB on option reads. How long does it take us next year.

The guys going to get AT LEAST 3 years…my argument is that more talent, less talent…relative to the talent we had and we can get we are getting less out of more where the only successful coaches Purdue has ever had get more out of less. My thoughts on this don’t matter. He’ll likely even get 4 years to win something. I’m not confident from what I’ve seen…even with marked individual improvement that this coach can put an offense together that’s consistent or a defense that can run his scheme. He should have adjusted this year and next year WILL be worse if he doesn’t again.

And yes I know we had big holes. So why rely on those guys to play to a level the staff knew they couldn’t?

Why not help them instead of further accentuate weaknesses?

The play where Michigan motioned out Donovan Edward’s and Thineman had the choice to cover him or let Moon stay on him on the outside was the entire season in a microcosm. Run man beaters and motion to get favorable matchups all you want on us. We won’t adjust. We won’t do anything different, even if it means putting a guy who runs a 4.7on his best day on the fastest guy on the #2 team in the country.

Even from my couch I know better than that.

ADJUST!

And yes I know we had big holes. So why rely on those guys to play to a level the staff knew they couldn’t?

Why not help them instead of further accentuate weaknesses?

The play where Michigan motioned out Donovan Edward’s and Thineman had the choice to cover him or let Moon stay on him on the outside was the entire season in a microcosm. Run man beaters and motion to get favorable matchups all you want on us. We won’t adjust. We won’t do anything different, even if it means putting a guy who runs a 4.7on his best day on the fastest guy on the #2 team in the country.

Even from my couch I know better than that.

ADJUST!
adjustment, the Moon has set in the portal

Blough and Sindelar under Brohm were better by a mile than Meredith or Brown under Walters.
FIFY

Again, if you don’t think Blough, Sindelar and AOC improved greatly under Brohm, we will have to agree to disagree.

And last i checked, Plummer is in the ACC championship game.

Here’s a thing I think most people should see eye to eye on but for some reason we don’t…

My biggest concern was the defense. They pretty much stunk as a unit all year. But why? Especially when most players individually were better. We of course had some weak links but whereas the Defense in the past tried to hide those…we just rode it hard all year into the ground.

Recruit as we want, get NIL as we want do you realistically think Purdue will ever or has ever had the talent to run this defense? I say emphatically no. We could get better…but this defense has already shown it’s as good as its weakest link and not rising to a sum of its parts. It’s got a long way to go to even be average IMo. We had 3 INts and still gave up 31 points and buckets of yards on Saturday. That was the story of the year.

We could get stops early but 3rd and long was the money down for opposing offenses.

We could get turnovers but couldnt stop long sustained drives, made worse by the fact we could force lots of 3rd and longs but never stop the other team.

Took us 8 games to figure out we have to account for the QB on option reads. How long does it take us next year.

The guys going to get AT LEAST 3 years…my argument is that more talent, less talent…relative to the talent we had and we can get we are getting less out of more where the only successful coaches Purdue has ever had get more out of less. My thoughts on this don’t matter. He’ll likely even get 4 years to win something. I’m not confident from what I’ve seen…even with marked individual improvement that this coach can put an offense together nthat’s consistent or a defense that can run his scheme. He should have adjusted this year and next year WILL be worse if he doesn’t again.

Amen. A successful Purdue Coach has to be resousful, strong in their given scheme and coaching philosophy, but most of all, they can't beat themselves.
I really didn't care if the new hire was an offensive coach or from a defensive background,but I did want whatever was promised and a Defensive Savant was never delivered to Ross Ade Stadium.
10 tackles for loss and 6 sacks Means nothing if you give up 9 plays that total 300 yards and 4 of them were. TDs.
I'm a Purdue fan and pray that CRW finds success, but I'm concerned.......

Amen. A successful Purdue Coach has to be resousful, strong in their given scheme and coaching philosophy, but most of all, they can't beat themselves.
I really didn't care if the new hire was an offensive coach or from a defensive background,but I did want whatever was promised and a Defensive Savant was never delivered to Ross Ade Stadium.
10 tackles for loss and 6 sacks Means nothing if you give up 9 plays that total 300 yards and 4 of them were. TDs.
I'm a Purdue fan and pray that CRW finds success, but I'm concerned.......
Bingo. Great coaches don’t force players to fit into their scheme. They fit the scheme to the players.

FIFY

Again, if you don’t think Blough, Sindelar and AOC improved greatly under Brohm, we will have to agree to disagree.

And last i checked, Plummer is in the ACC championship game.
Are you saying Plummer was good here? After a stop in California he's looked better. Looked like his old self against KY. Are you now saying Blough and Sindelar were good?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT