ADVERTISEMENT

looks like iu will land mcgumba

I think your bar for "athletic" is not set too high. Purdue needs an Ivey or an Edwards.

Furst strikes me as the typical Indiana class 2A "star". Furst= Derek Elston.
I'll bite

You don't become the 67th ranked player off of "2A" stats". That's like saying JHS=EM because they both lacked athletic ability...do you get it???

Come on B1G or Trojan...you can do better.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
I'll bite

You don't become the 67th ranked player off of "2A" stats". That's like saying JHS=EM because they both lacked athletic ability...do you get it???

Who is EM? I can't imagine it's Morton that you're comparing to JHS in terms of athleticism. What is B1G or Trojan?

At least TJD never had to deal with being part of the most historic embarrassment of a loss in NCAAT history.

Anyway, that's exactly what I was saying. As flawed as IU's backcourt was last year, it was still superior to Purdue's.

As far as the two guys you referenced.... Colvin, we'll see. Heide, a 6'5" version of Furst.
No he doesn’t have to live down that loss cause he was never part of anything good enough to get him in that position in the first place 😅! I expect Heidi to surprise some folks, we’ll see.

Reactions: Boilerupone
I can’t wait for the IU faithful to turn on this kid like they do all the others that don’t pan out.
He’d probably go top 15 in this years draft if he was eligible. Barring a complete meltdown, that won’t change. NBA teams don’t pass on 6’8” forwards with length that are 3-level scorers.

Reactions: smb2808
Etwaun Moore… And he’s calling you a troll.
Troll? Seriously, I've posted here maybe a half dozen times in the last five or six years. I used to come to this board quite a bit but it seems as though most of the folks interacted with aren't around anymore. I used to be SBend but I lost track of passwords and such so.... Not familiar with the posters he's referring to.

Troll? Seriously, I've posted here maybe a half dozen times in the last five or six years. I used to come to this board quite a bit but it seems as though most of the folks interacted with aren't around anymore. I used to be SBend but I lost track of passwords and such so.... Not familiar with the posters he's referring to.

They’re just a couple of asshats that used to pop up from time to time. I don’t post here nearly as much as I used to (or on the IU boards for that matter), but PopRudy has been a regular on this board for years.

No he doesn’t have to live down that loss cause he was never part of anything good enough to get him in that position in the first place 😅! I expect Heidi to surprise some folks, we’ll see.
Correct, he was never on a team successful enough to draw a seventeen seed in the NCAAT Tourney.

Yep, we'll see. I do think maybe you'll see a jump out of Kauffman this season. He may actually be healthy now. I just think overall, Purdue will be kind of meh in terms of athleticism.

They’re just a couple of asshats that used to pop up from time to time. I don’t post here nearly as much as I used to (or on the IU boards for that matter), but PopRudy has been a regular on this board for years.
I used to interact with Heller quite a bit. There was BBG, Boiler Express, a few others. The IU guys here were Mike41703, IUBtown Chicago, and a couple others. Doesn't look like they're around here anymore.

Same with the IU board. I mostly lurk, don't post there too often.

He’d probably go top 15 in this years draft if he was eligible. Barring a complete meltdown, that won’t change. NBA teams don’t pass on 6’8” forwards with length that are 3-level scorers.
Yes, IU should be the most athletic team in the B1G next year. If, Woody gets them to play together. They should be very, very good. I don't think anyone can dispute that.

Yes, IU should be the most athletic team in the B1G next year. If, Woody gets them to play together. They should be very, very good. I don't think anyone can dispute that.

Ehh, I have my concerns. Guard play is a big question mark for me. XJ is a coin toss on any given night (I’m putting it nicely; he makes me want to punch my TV). I think Cupps will be a good 4-year player for IU but not an immediate impact type of guy. Jakai Newton could be a stud but he’ll be a freshman that’s coming off an injury. CJ Gunn showed potential in HS but there’s nothing to evaluate because he was nowhere near ready from a physical standpoint last year. And I love the way Galloway plays but his ceiling is evident.

I do think we’ll be good at the wing/forward positions. I expect this new commit to be a lottery pick next year and I’ll be shocked if Kaleb Banks doesn’t make some waves. He impressed me, albeit with a limited sample size as a freshman. Reneau is in that same boat; very high ceiling if he puts in the work. Ware is an unknown. Clearly scouts saw something when they rated him but he didn’t get the run Id expect for a 5* prospect, especially in that conference.

Ultimately, I think IU’s starting 5 will be XJ, Galloway (possibly Newton), Mgbako, Reneau, and Ware with Banks as the sixth man. The potential is there, as is the potential for a lot of depth. But it’s all hypothetical at this point because XJ and Galloway are the only two that can really be assessed.

I used to interact with Heller quite a bit. There was BBG, Boiler Express, a few others. The IU guys here were Mike41703, IUBtown Chicago, and a couple others. Doesn't look like they're around here anymore.

Same with the IU board. I mostly lurk, don't post there too often.
Yeahhhh…Heller and BBG weren’t favorites of mine. Not sure if they quit posting or blocked me, but they were two of the posters that drove me away. Hard to talk basketball when the other party’s counterpoint is some form of infantile trailer park or McDonalds reference… Mathboy was one I used to like to go back and forth with.

Ehh, I have my concerns. Guard play is a big question mark for me. XJ is a coin toss on any given night (I’m putting it nicely; he makes me want to punch my TV). I think Cupps will be a good 4-year player for IU but not an immediate impact type of guy. Jakai Newton could be a stud but he’ll be a freshman that’s coming off an injury. CJ Gunn showed potential in HS but there’s nothing to evaluate because he was nowhere near ready from a physical standpoint last year. And I love the way Galloway plays but his ceiling is evident.

I do think we’ll be good at the wing/forward positions. I expect this new commit to be a lottery pick next year and I’ll be shocked if Kaleb Banks doesn’t make some waves. He impressed me, albeit with a limited sample size as a freshman. Reneau is in that same boat; very high ceiling if he puts in the work. Ware is an unknown. Clearly scouts saw something when they rated him but he didn’t get the run Id expect for a 5* prospect, especially in that conference.

Ultimately, I think IU’s starting 5 will be XJ, Galloway (possibly Newton), Mgbako, Reneau, and Ware with Banks as the sixth man. The potential is there, as is the potential for a lot of depth. But it’s all hypothetical at this point because XJ and Galloway are the only two that can really be assessed.
I agree. I also, think an added shooter in Gunn could/will help.

I'm not naive to think IU won't be good, but how good. That's where Woody should have zero excuses with this very talented team. What do you expect from this roster? I believe they're capable of an E8 or maybe even F4. Teams that win the tournament are usually a well aged team or talented teams. Purdue will have the aged part down and IU will have the top tier talent. If, Edey stays both should compete at a very high level.

Yeahhhh…Heller and BBG weren’t favorites of mine. Not sure if they quit posting or blocked me, but they were two of the posters that drove me away. Hard to talk basketball when the other party’s counterpoint is some form of infantile trailer park or McDonalds reference… Mathboy was one I used to like to go back and forth with.
I believe Heller passed away. If, I recall.

Reactions: Schnelk
At least TJD never had to deal with being part of the most historic embarrassment of a loss in NCAAT history.

Anyway, that's exactly what I was saying. As flawed as IU's backcourt was last year, it was still superior to Purdue's.

As far as the two guys you referenced.... Colvin, we'll see. Heide, a 6'5" version of Furst.
what a clueless twit thing to say.

I believe Heller passed away. If, I recall.

It's been awhile, South Bend.

Heller did pass on (as did Nage) going on a few years now. BBG posts on the other platform now.

Not that many will care, and I don't have any control or say, but I had appreciated Big Red and South Bend's (now Vern Pain) participation in the past.......good to have other perspectives.....IUBtown Chicago was the same in days gone by.

They can take some good-natured humor, too.....at least they used to....haha.

Reactions: Vern Pain
I agree. I also, think an added shooter in Gunn could/will help.

I'm not naive to think IU won't be good, but how good. That's where Woody should have zero excuses with this very talented team. What do you expect from this roster? I believe they're capable of an E8 or maybe even F4. Teams that win the tournament are usually a well aged team or talented teams. Purdue will have the aged part down and IU will have the top tier talent. If, Edey stays both should compete at a very high level.

I agree, if Gunn can make the leap I could easily see him starting at the 2.

Honestly, I’m not sure where to put my expectations. I’m not setting the bar at E8/F4 for the reasons I stated before, but I do believe it’s in the realm of possibility. This is the first year we’ve had a roster capable of running the system Woody had in mind when he arrived at IU. He was one of the first to do it in the NBA and it became the blueprint for a lot of teams. I just don’t know how well it’ll translate to the B1G. If the players put in the work and the system translates, the ceiling is high. If not, I’d say we’re looking at similar results as last season.

Edit: I hope to God Edey doesn’t stay. When he announced his return last year my response was a string of words I won’t post here lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poprudy

Heller did pass on (as did Nage) going on a few years now. BBG posts on the other platform now.

Not that many will care, and I don't have any control or say, but I had appreciated Big Red and South Bend's (now Vern Pain) participation in the past.......good to have other perspectives.....IUBtown Chicago was the same in days gone by.

I don’t mind some good-natured ribbing and I played along for a while because I do like posting on this board, it just became redundant after a while. People would overlook my posts and respond with “shouldn’t you be flipping burgers hardy-har-har,” and it got old.

I think I read somewhere that Heller passed away. I remember he and Courtsense" enjoyed taking threads hostage with their inane bickering.

Last edited:

Thanks. I'm not too easily triggered these days I probably spent too much time on Message Boards back in the day. I won't speak up that often, just know I'm watching 😂

I'll bite

It's totally trojan's new handle for the off-season troll posts. IU landed a new 5 star and it's time to hang another summer banner. I could tell after reading two posts.

I don’t mind some good-natured ribbing and I played along for a while because I do like posting on this board, it just became redundant after a while. People would overlook my posts and respond with “shouldn’t you be flipping burgers hardy-har-har,” and it got old.
Hey Big Red! How are you doing?

Yes, it gets pretty ugly if people suspect you are trolling or posting for reaction, but that's true of both boards. You've seen the clown that would post extended "Moooo's" through all the threads when anyone from Purdue would post over there. It has gotten better, and there are a couple Purdue posters over there that are accorded civility. Let's hope we can provide the same hospitality here.

As for IU next season, I think any team can catch fire with the right players and the right chemistry. Purdue's past season is proof of such. To some degree it is luck, but I think Painter has pursued the right guys to build teams. Not always the most athletic, but the right players to compliment each other. Painter's roster management is really at a high level. So far, I don't see that level of discrimination and planning happening at most other BIG schools, and that includes Indiana.

JHS took most of the season to find his stride in big games. He was the real deal, but inconsistent. The same could be said for TJD. Those two are gone, so all we have is some high school highlight films, and some two year-old statistics from returning injured players. To me, this is a pure crap shoot. Pretty much unpredictable.

Basketball is one of the few sports that is heavily influenced by the ability to play as a team and not by individual capabilities. Usually it takes most of the season for freshmen to find their rhythm, so I wouldn't count on Mcgumba to be an instant success. If he is, then IU gets the gold metal for falling in the pile and emerging smelling like roses. As for me, I'm still going to put a clothes pin on my nose for a bit.

:cool:

Overall good pickup for the B1G and boosts IUs outlook as they needed another offensive threat.

It will be really interesting to see their chemistry next year and how the pieces fit IMO. If they gel the talent is there for a top 4 B1G finish. It's also really hard to win without guys who have done it before. JHS, TJD, Kopp, and Race were a huge loss in the talent and experience department. I'd take those 4 all day over what was added this year. Time will tell......
Agree on both points. Great pickup for IU but he needs to shoot it well for them to compete at a high level. From The Athletic:

So while this is a huge addition for the Hoosiers and a big win to beat out Kansas for Mgbako’s services, the roster-building construction is still sort of puzzling. Because just like Jackson-Davis, the ideal scenario for a player like Reneau is to surround him with shooting. While Mgbako might be able to provide some of that, Woodson still has some work to do there.

I agree, if Gunn can make the leap I could easily see him starting at the 2.

Honestly, I’m not sure where to put my expectations. I’m not setting the bar at E8/F4 for the reasons I stated before, but I do believe it’s in the realm of possibility. This is the first year we’ve had a roster capable of running the system Woody had in mind when he arrived at IU. He was one of the first to do it in the NBA and it became the blueprint for a lot of teams. I just don’t know how well it’ll translate to the B1G. If the players put in the work and the system translates, the ceiling is high. If not, I’d say we’re looking at similar results as last season.

Edit: I hope to God Edey doesn’t stay. When he announced his return last year my response was a string of words I won’t post here lol.
Good post. Seems like a high ceiling / middling floor group to me. If Woodson has them near the top of the Big Ten and they make a deep NCAAT run then Woodson should be in the running for NCOY.

That wouldn’t shock me but neither would a second tier Big Ten and a bubble team NCAAT finish. Not without talent as usual, need a fair number of things to come together.

Lame post. FDU loss was horrific but TJD won nothing of consequence in four years and really was never close to doing so do. If he thinks that’s a fair trade off, it would say a lot about him.

IU’s frontcourt will be 3 5 star recruits, no doubt the talent is there. If players buy in rather than wanting to get there’s they’ll be a solid team, top 3-4 in the Big Ten, maybe a notch higher if Edey doesn’t return. IU’s problem will likely be shooting and depth, not sold on their backcourt.

Lame post. FDU loss was horrific but TJD won nothing of consequence in four years and really was never close to doing so do. If he thinks that’s a fair trade off, it would say a lot about him.
In 4 years TJD's teams accomplished:
Win 1 NCAA game
3-4 (?) against Purdue

In the same span Purdue was:
B1G Champ
BTT Champ
B1G Runner Up
BTT Runner Up
Ranked #1 2 consecutive seasons
Sweet 16
Wins over Duke, NC, Villanova, Gonzaga to win 2 pre-season tourneys.

I'd take the 2nd program all day even with the horrible losses to N Texas, St Pete, and FDU. Purdue's obviously got work to do in the tourney, but the overall state of the program is in a great place currently. Unfortunately the last few duds in the Tourney, have dampened the perception of where Painter has this program. Painter really needs to hit the next 2 or 3 NCAA tourneys.

In 4 years TJD's teams accomplished:
Win 1 NCAA game
3-4 (?) against Purdue

In the same span Purdue was:
B1G Champ
BTT Champ
B1G Runner Up
BTT Runner Up
Ranked #1 2 consecutive seasons
Sweet 16
Wins over Duke, NC, Villanova, Gonzaga to win 2 pre-season tourneys.

I'd take the 2nd program all day even with the horrible losses to N Texas, St Pete, and FDU. Purdue's obviously got work to do in the tourney, but the overall state of the program is in a great place currently. Unfortunately the last few duds in the Tourney, have dampened the perception of where Painter has this program. Painter really needs to hit the next 2 or 3 NCAA tourneys.
That's true with TJD's tournament record. One caveat is that there were only three tournaments available for him to compete. Probably goes without saying that he would have felt more complete had one of his teams won a B1G title or at least a BTT title. Those others on your list...

The point I was discussing before I allowed myself to digress, was that I think Purdue still lacks the difference maker who can get them over that tournament hump. If someone turns out to be Carson Edwards then they will be dangerous. Someone who can take over like that offensively. Someone both athletic and tough as nails. I really believe they're going to miss Newman.

Listen every one is talking about this guy iu got but let's talk about mules Colvin purdue has a great player in Colvin if purdue had Colvin last year there is no way in hell they would have lost in the first round Colvin Is a program changer and don't forget about heide who is 6 foot 7 and if berg can stay healthy that guy is going to be special at purdue as well

That's true with TJD's tournament record. One caveat is that there were only three tournaments available for him to compete. Probably goes without saying that he would have felt more complete had one of his teams won a B1G title or at least a BTT title. Those others on your list...

The point I was discussing before I allowed myself to digress, was that I think Purdue still lacks the difference maker who can get them over that tournament hump. If someone turns out to be Carson Edwards then they will be dangerous. Someone who can take over like that offensively. Someone both athletic and tough as nails. I really believe they're going to miss Newman.
Laughable to say that a team returning 97% of it's starts from a squad that started two true freshmen and a near unanimous NPOY who is only going to get better and won 29 games and the Big Ten by three games will 'be dangerous if someone turns out to be Carsen (with an e) Edwards)'.

If Zach returns and anyone comes close to playing at Carsen's level that team would be the runaway favorite to win the NC.

You have rarely posted a truthful post, so why should anyone trust you now? And how would you possibly know what Cuban does with his money or who is giving this kid money?
Cubans NBA ownership keeps him from directly influencing(sponsoring) a player. Now the Cook family is a different story. Does Cook give to Purdue? Since they have ties I always wondered. I know they give or partner but was wondering if they do with athletics.

Cubans NBA ownership keeps him from directly influencing(sponsoring) a player. Now the Cook family is a different story. Does Cook give to Purdue? Since they have ties I always wondered. I know they give or partner but was wondering if they do with athletics.
I'm glad you stated "directly". This is where the NCAA has always been laughable. I can guarantee that he has influential money that's not funneled through the NIL. These are the typical backdoor deals that will happen behind closed doors.

Once again, this will continue to be a pay for play environment. People are just naive.

You have rarely posted a truthful post, so why should anyone trust you now? And how would you possibly know what Cuban does with his money or who is giving this kid money?
what are you talking about? disagree with me all you want but what have I posted that was untruthful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT