ADVERTISEMENT

looks like iu will land mcgumba

That's true with TJD's tournament record. One caveat is that there were only three tournaments available for him to compete. Probably goes without saying that he would have felt more complete had one of his teams won a B1G title or at least a BTT title. Those others on your list...

The point I was discussing before I allowed myself to digress, was that I think Purdue still lacks the difference maker who can get them over that tournament hump. If someone turns out to be Carson Edwards then they will be dangerous. Someone who can take over like that offensively. Someone both athletic and tough as nails. I really believe they're going to miss Newman.
Newman did some nice things, but wasn’t consistent and Purdue is adding other athletes. If Edey returns, Purdue is going to be very good and I don’t think anyone is going to be worrying about the players who are no longer with the program. IU won’t be Purdue’s major concern;, but consistent execution will be. If Purdue doesn’t beat itself, they will be very tough for anyone else to beat.

Reactions: Roeder and Schnelk
Newman did some nice things, but wasn’t consistent and Purdue is adding other athletes. If Edey returns, Purdue is going to be very good and I don’t think anyone is going to be worrying about the players who are no longer with the program. IU won’t be Purdue’s major concern;, but consistent execution will be. If Purdue doesn’t beat itself, they will be very tough for anyone else to beat.

Little iu hasn't been our concern in a over a decade, save a season or or two. Just another weak team in a weak B10 conference where, with Edey, we will lose on occasion, but mostly steam role them.

With or without Edey, I 100% agree our real concern is consistent play and offensive execution. Not only offensive efficiency BUT ppg. Just can't play in the 60s, and expect much in March.

Little iu hasn't been our concern in a over a decade, save a season or or two. Just another weak team in a weak B10 conference where, with Edey, we will lose on occasion, but mostly steam role them.

With or without Edey, I 100% agree our real concern is consistent play and offensive execution. Not only offensive efficiency BUT ppg. Just can't play in the 60s, and expect much in March.
Purdue was 21-1 when averaging 1.1 points per possession last season, with the one exception being the game where JHS was ridiculously good for IU and even in that game they weren’t exceptional. This team has the talent to score very efficiently and if they do, I really like their chances against anyone.

Reactions: Schnelk
I'm glad you stated "directly". This is where the NCAA has always been laughable. I can guarantee that he has influential money that's not funneled through the NIL. These are the typical backdoor deals that will happen behind closed doors.

Once again, this will continue to be a pay for play environment. People are just naive.
This is what I meant. Campus ink. It’s a company backed by different people. I think it was on shark tank and Cuban backed it. What campus ink does is help market merchandise of the student athletes. Think of it as if you went to a person who makes t shirts and mugs for you to sell but they also market for you. It’s open to all athletes I believe. Illinois was first to offer it. Purdue is one also. Cuban can’t directly do anything.

Ducati

Agree. I really liked Brandon but after four years he wasn't going to be featured offensively and had some real limitations playing a supporting role. There are a bunch of returning players who will have a chance to take on larger roles in their second or third year (Smith, Loyer, TKR, Furst) and Colvin, Heide and maybe Waddell will be pushing for playing time. Brandon is a great kid, I'm excited to see how he does at WKU.

Amazing how the off season IU trolls rarely show up here once the season starts. This year will probably be different though. ;)

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
Our primary rival in the BIG is Michigan State, and has been so for the last 10 years or more. I don't think there is any question about that. We chase the same recruits, flaunt with the same regions of the BIG pecking order, and challenge each other for post season success. MSU leads us in several of those categories, but we have bested them occasionally. As for IU... not sure we can call it a rivalry anymore. Just MHO.

Our primary rival in the BIG is Michigan State, and has been so for the last 10 years or more. I don't think there is any question about that. We chase the same recruits, flaunt with the same regions of the BIG pecking order, and challenge each other for post season success. MSU leads us in several of those categories, but we have bested them occasionally. As for IU... not sure we can call it a rivalry anymore. Just MHO.
When your students start chanting "MSU sucks" at non-MSU games, then you may have a point.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
It's totally trojan's new handle for the off-season troll posts. IU landed a new 5 star and it's time to hang another summer banner. I could tell after reading two posts.
Gawd, no sh*t. Look at them crawling out of the woodwork over getting a recruit to try to patch that leaking toy boat. Go home loosiers, your mom is calling you.

Reactions: Schnelk
That's true with TJD's tournament record. One caveat is that there were only three tournaments available for him to compete. Probably goes without saying that he would have felt more complete had one of his teams won a B1G title or at least a BTT title. Those others on your list...

The point I was discussing before I allowed myself to digress, was that I think Purdue still lacks the difference maker who can get them over that tournament hump. If someone turns out to be Carson Edwards then they will be dangerous. Someone who can take over like that offensively. Someone both athletic and tough as nails. I really believe they're going to miss Newman.

I think Purdue will miss the idea of what we all wanted Newman to become. Unfortunately it never really worked out here for him and I wish him nothing but the best at WKU.

To me the straw that broke the camel's back against FDU (you could probably argue many plays), was when Newman had a ball go through his hands and off his face that FDU took the other way for an And 1. I'm never rewatching that game, but I'm pretty sure Purdue had started to finally get momentum in 2nd half and that play swung it back to FDU and it never came back.

Now that was a team loss and you could point to multiple things, but I think he had his opportunities there and other big games to deliver and just could never turn the corner.

It's time to see what Jones, Colvin, and Heide can do with those minutes he was getting IMO (Morton's too).

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
Comical article in the IU Star today about the wonderous visit by Mgbako to clown town, and how they really 'care' about him and his family as a person - so much so that there was no mention of the NIL deal, as if it wasn't a factor.

Of course, slimy CCP-apologist Cuban could not have had anything to do with it.

Comical article in the IU Star today about the wonderous visit by Mgbako to clown town, and how they really 'care' about him and his family as a person - so much so that there was no mention of the NIL deal, as if it wasn't a factor.

Of course, slimy CCP-apologist Cuban could not have had anything to do with it.

that's just sour grapes on your part, Woodson has lost more recruiting battles than he has won. probably the biggest overriding factor in this recruitment was the obvious opportunity to step right into the starting line up at a blueblood. he decommited from Duke because Filipkowski came back unexpectedly.

that's just sour grapes on your part, Woodson has lost more recruiting battles than he has won. probably the biggest overriding factor in this recruitment was the obvious opportunity to step right into the starting line up at a blueblood. he decommited from Duke because Filipkowski came back unexpectedly.
Not that I would expect someone who loves clown pants to know, but 'blueblood' is racist term. Look it up.

Not that I would expect someone who loves clown pants to know, but 'blueblood' is racist term. Look it up.
it's not a racist term in the context of traditional basketball powers. I'm not looking it up because it's a waste of time the term is used all the time on tv and other types of media. to describe IU UK UNC UCLA Kansas

it's not a racist term in the context of traditional basketball powers. I'm not looking it up because it's a waste of time the term is used all the time on tv and other types of media. to describe IU UK UNC UCLA Kansas
Based on your list, it looks like the term has morphed from being 'racist' to meaning 'cheater.'

Reactions: PurdueDave
I’m going to have to come out and acknowledge that Woodson bringing Calvert Cheaney back into the fold for player development is likely a really good idea. JMO…

But boilers player development has been strong for years and is hard to beat

I’m going to have to come out and acknowledge that Woodson bringing Calvert Cheaney back into the fold for player development is likely a really good idea. JMO…

But boilers player development has been strong for years and is hard to beat
Thanks for coming out.

think Purdue will miss the idea of what we all wanted Newman to become. Unfortunately it never really worked out here for him and I wish him nothing but the best at WKU.

To me the straw that broke the camel's back against FDU (you could probably argue many plays), was when Newman had a ball go through his hands and off his face that FDU took the other way for an And 1. I'm never rewatching that game, but I'm pretty sure Purdue had started to finally get momentum in 2nd half and that play swung it back to FDU and it never came back.

Now that was a team loss and you could point to multiple things, but I think he had his opportunities there and other big games to deliver and just could never turn the corner.

It's time to see what Jones, Colvin, and Heide can do with those minutes he was getting IMO (Morton's too).
This. He always had the potential to be an impact player. But even when he started working hard and defending he always had a bonehead pass or two it seemed. Could he still have blossomed? Sure.
Killer moment for me was him not wanting the ball at crunch time as we went down. Yikes.
We have "talent" sitting on the bench this year that will have potentially 4 years ahead of them.
It was time to see what they can bring (and not bring) to the table regardless of his being here.

Last edited:
Agree. I really liked Brandon but after four years he wasn't going to be featured offensively and had some real limitations playing a supporting role. There are a bunch of returning players who will have a chance to take on larger roles in their second or third year (Smith, Loyer, TKR, Furst) and Colvin, Heide and maybe Waddell will be pushing for playing time. Brandon is a great kid, I'm excited to see how he does at WKU.

Amazing how the off season IU trolls rarely show up here once the season starts. This year will probably be different though. ;)
Well they ARE pre-season national champs according to every loosier here.
Maybe undefeated too..................................................................

Reactions: northside100
This. He always had the potential to be an impact player. But even when he started working hard and defending he always had a bonehead pass or two it seemed. Could he still have blossomed? Sure.
But we have "potential talent" sitting on the bench this year that will have potentially 4 years ahead of them.
It was time to see what they can bring (and not bring) to the table regardless of his being here.
I remember thinking during his 29 point game as a RS freshman, “man this kid is the next Troy Lewis!” But unfortunately he was not. But excited to see what he can do at WKU.

I think Purdue will miss the idea of what we all wanted Newman to become. Unfortunately it never really worked out here for him and I wish him nothing but the best at WKU.

I agree with you on Newman's turning point. It is unusual that we can point to the very moment when a kid lost his momentum, his chance, or what ever you want to call it. Newman just dropped the ball, literally and figuratively, right then. He had the chance to become the hero he wanted so badly to be, but failed. I find that very sad, and I hope he finds better things where he will play next year.

I agree with you on Newman's turning point. It is unusual that we can point to the very moment when a kid lost his momentum, his chance, or what ever you want to call it. Newman just dropped the ball, literally and figuratively, right then. He had the chance to become the hero he wanted so badly to be, but failed. I find that very sad, and I hope he finds better things where he will play next year.
can't recall who the player was but Newman wanted to come to IU but Archie at the time was only going to take 1 shooting guard it may have been Franklin. and who ever committed 1st got the spot. Remember thinking at the time Purdue ended up with the better player after seeing him as a freshman. surprised his career didn't turn out better.

can't recall who the player was but Newman wanted to come to IU but Archie at the time was only going to take 1 shooting guard it may have been Franklin. and who ever committed 1st got the spot. Remember thinking at the time Purdue ended up with the better player after seeing him as a freshman. surprised his career didn't turn out better.
You are correct in that it was Newman and Franklin and both IU and Purdue were involved with both but badly mis-remembering (or mis-informed) as to how it played out.

Franklin and Newman visited Purdue at the same time. I recall seeing pictures with them with the rest of the then team taken at a football game. Franklin committed to IU first, then Newman soon after to Purdue.

Franklin has proven the more steady player. Had a pretty good freshman year for IU and was probably the most costly of their transfer losses when he went to Virginia.

Newman was Big 10 freshman of the week (joining Edey, who won it several times that year) after his big-scoring game, but never seemed able to put things together after. You'd see flashes, then he'd seem to lose confidence, focus ... something.

Hope things work better for him at WKU.

You are correct in that it was Newman and Franklin and both IU and Purdue were involved with both but badly mis-remembering (or mis-informed) as to how it played out.
how did it play out? playing the same position, I doubt they had any interest in going to the same school? if Newman would have committed to IU first Franklin would have ended up at Purdue.

how did it play out? playing the same position, I doubt they had any interest in going to the same school? if Newman would have committed to IU first Franklin would have ended up at Purdue.
What you just stated is correct in that they didn't want to attend the same school and had Newman committed to IU then Franklin would have ended up at Purdue.

Painter would have taken them both (not sure about lil Archie) and both were looking to commit around the same time. MP made Newman the priority and let Franklin know that he very much wanted him but couldn't take a commit until he heard from Brandon while letting Brandon know that he was the top priority and they needed a decision. Franklin may have been headed to IU anyway but his conversation with Painter sealed the deal and he committed to IU. Brandon was likely always coming to Purdue (he certainly didn't want to go to IU and got left in the cold).

What you just stated is correct in that they didn't want to attend the same school and had Newman committed to IU then Franklin would have ended up at Purdue.

Painter would have taken them both (not sure about lil Archie) and both were looking to commit around the same time. MP made Newman the priority and let Franklin know that he very much wanted him but couldn't take a commit until he heard from Brandon while letting Brandon know that he was the top priority and they needed a decision. Franklin may have been headed to IU anyway but his conversation with Painter sealed the deal and he committed to IU. Brandon was likely always coming to Purdue (he certainly didn't want to go to IU and got left in the cold).
who knows the iu perspective at the time was that arch told the 2 who ever commits 1st gets the spot, and franklin beat Newman to the punch.

who knows the iu perspective at the time was that arch told the 2 who ever commits 1st gets the spot, and franklin beat Newman to the punch.
Right, that's because Peegs will always report information that makes IU look good and appease the fans. Speaking to folks around both players at the time it was clear that that was never close to being true.

In any case, I agree that it was surprising and unfortunate for both programs that neither really worked out for them.

Right, that's because Peegs will always report information that makes IU look good and appease the fans. Speaking to folks around both players at the time it was clear that that was never close to being true.

In any case, I agree that it was surprising and unfortunate for both programs that neither really worked out for them.
may have worked better if they flip flopped schools. IU could certainly could have used Newmans shooting the last couple of years. and Franklin looked like a Purdue player.

It is interesting to observe that you have decided that you yourself have the authority to determine the meaning and accuracy of words, even if dictionaries define those words differently. You might explain to us exactly who granted you the right to determine the meaning and use of language for all of us.

As I have posted: the term "blueblood" originated in reference to European noblility. By means of family genetics, they were supposed to be better than everyone else. Because of inbreeding, they became deformed, congenitally diseased, mentally unstable and impaired.

Also, given your list and the recent NCAA Tournament, the members did not do so well. So much for inherited excellence.

Reactions: Riveting-
It is interesting to observe that you have decided that you yourself have the authority to determine the meaning and accuracy of words, even if dictionaries define those words differently. You might explain to us exactly who granted you the right to determine the meaning and use of language for all of us.

As I have posted: the term "blueblood" originated in reference to European noblility. By means of family genetics, they were supposed to be better than everyone else. Because of inbreeding, they became deformed, congenitally diseased, mentally unstable and impaired.

Also, given your list and the recent NCAA Tournament, the members did not do so well. So much for inherited excellence.
I granted it to myself. if I was the only one calling the historically great programs of college basketball bluebloods maybe you would have a point. I attached an article that a nationally recognized journalist used the term. you're just trying to make at issue out of something where one really doesn't exist. as far as inbreeding Europeans that's unfortunate.

I granted it to myself. if I was the only one calling the historically great programs of college basketball bluebloods maybe you would have a point. I attached an article that a nationally recognized journalist used the term. you're just trying to make at issue out of something where one really doesn't exist. as far as inbreeding Europeans that's unfortunate.
You assume that the journalist even knows the origin of the term. Who says that is true? Also, as was pointed out, the programs that you identified all have a recognized history of cheating. How can a program be considered great when it has a long history of cheating? The supposed "greatness" was earned improperly, so therefore how can it be considered worthy of note? That makes no sense.

You assume that the journalist even knows the origin of the term. Who says that is true? Also, as was pointed out, the programs that you identified all have a recognized history of cheating. How can a program be considered great when it has a long history of cheating? The supposed "greatness" was earned improperly, so therefore how can it be considered worthy of note? That makes no sense.
Indiana has run a clean program for years. except for making too many phone calls, which they self-reported and basically got the death penalty to lump them in with the rest is disingenuous.

Indiana has run a clean program for years. except for making too many phone calls, which they self-reported and basically got the death penalty to lump them in with the rest is disingenuous.
As far as I know, Bobby was clean and a straight shooter, as was his immediate heir. With Sampson, the phone calls were just the tip of the iceberg. That guy was crooked as all hell. Crean was just an idiot and screwed over some of the kids that came to play for him. I will grant you that Archie apparently ran a clean program, although he was associated with his brother's program a bit, and that was reputed to be very dirty. Woodson seems to be on the right track and has a reputation of running it cleanly.

Again, you are dodging the point and being inconsistent.

You acknowledge that IU "...has run a clean program for years..." while acknowledging Crean's improper visits and Sampson's calls. However, you implicitly acknowledge what happened before that. It is been recognized that IU paid players in the past when not allowed to do so.

Kansas, UNC, UK, UCLA all have a history of cheating and have been disciplined for it.

Soif the good record was earned improperly, why should it be celebrated? It was obtained falsely, and thus has no worth.

If you cheated on your tests in school and get put on the Dean's List and they then find out what you did, they remove you from it as to not reward a falsely earned recognition.

Again, you are dodging the point and being inconsistent.

You acknowledge that IU "...has run a clean program for years..." while acknowledging Crean's improper visits and Sampson's calls. However, you implicitly acknowledge what happened before that. It is been recognized that IU paid players in the past when not allowed to do so.

Kansas, UNC, UK, UCLA all have a history of cheating and have been disciplined for it.

Soif the good record was earned improperly, why should it be celebrated? It was obtained falsely, and thus has no worth.

If you cheated on your tests in school and get put on the Dean's List and they then find out what you did, they remove you from it as to not reward a falsely earned recognition.
there are levels, do you throw someone who commits a petty theft in the same jail with a mass murderer. IUs violations were trivial at best and they self-reported . and where in the hell has it been recognized IU paid players you just made that one up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT