ADVERTISEMENT

IU

True, but 3 of the top 4 projections are Villanova, Marquette and Providence. V is looking bad so far, Providence has list to Wichita and is presently losing by 20 to Michigan. Marquette has 0 good wins. Why would anyone consider this good? The B1G was considered bad last year and they did better than this.
A lot of good teams have 0 good wins at this point.

IU fan here and i just sit back and laugh at some id these arguments. Edwards is definately a NPOY candidate no if and or nuts about it. Langford is one of the better freshmen in the country(there is a reason for the rankings of recruits and yes they are not always right). It is early in the year and there are a lot of questions about both programs and chances are how each team looks now will ve drastically different come February/March. We will see how everything pans out but anyone who says Edwards isnt a candidate or Langford isnt one of the better freshmen just hasnt watched or is just an outright homer. Painter is a good coach and runs a good program and has had some bad breaks in the tourney but what program cant say that. I would hope that we can all agree that the BIG is better when our rivalry is good and ee consistently have Indiana kids on the roster. I enjoy watching and root for the Boilers most of the time and am looking forward to this year. I dont post often so wishing everyone a happy and safe holiday season.
Chief, nice post. Would you as an IU fan rather have Morgan or Langford?

IU fan here and i just sit back and laugh at some id these arguments. Edwards is definately a NPOY candidate no if and or nuts about it. Langford is one of the better freshmen in the country(there is a reason for the rankings of recruits and yes they are not always right). It is early in the year and there are a lot of questions about both programs and chances are how each team looks now will ve drastically different come February/March. We will see how everything pans out but anyone who says Edwards isnt a candidate or Langford isnt one of the better freshmen just hasnt watched or is just an outright homer. Painter is a good coach and runs a good program and has had some bad breaks in the tourney but what program cant say that. I would hope that we can all agree that the BIG is better when our rivalry is good and ee consistently have Indiana kids on the roster. I enjoy watching and root for the Boilers most of the time and am looking forward to this year. I dont post often so wishing everyone a happy and safe holiday season.
Chief, nice post. Would you as an IU fan rather have Morgan or Langford?

You know what you are going to get out of Morgan, Langford is tbd but in my eyes you always take the one with the higher ceiling and that is clear.

I looked it up. Arkansas is rated as the 11th of 14 teams in the SEC. That is not exactly a strong team. They are predicted as a bubble for the NIT. Admittedly they sre at home.

I looked it up. Arkansas is rated as the 11th of 14 teams in the SEC. That is not exactly a strong team. They are predicted as a bubble for the NIT. Admittedly they sre at home.
Top 50 kenpom and have a lottery pick on their team. And as you said they are home.

His form? I think it's actually pretty good. I think @tjreese has critiqued shooting forms here in the past, so I'm curious what his input would be.
just caught a lot of the first half. You can notice a difference between his Fts and his FGs. On the perimeter you will notice his "left" hand (guild hand) going forward and won't see it on his Fts...or at least I never. So, you can say he shoots somewhat two handed. Somewhere I posted some picks of showing the guide hand not going forward in Sasha and Evan. My guess...romeo has made a living out of handling the ball well enough with his size and athleticism that he never needed to develop his stroke as well as some.

Reactions: Bluegrass Boiler
You do reaize that the creator of the ranking system that you cite has said that his own system is meaningless at this point in the season. I am therefore puzzled why anyone would cite it.

His form? I think it's actually pretty good. I think @tjreese has critiqued shooting forms here in the past, so I'm curious what his input would be.
just caught a lot of the first half. You can notice a difference between his Fts and his FGs. On the perimeter you will notice his "left" hand (guild hand) going forward and won't see it on his Fts...or at least I never. So, you can say he shoots somewhat two handed. Somewhere I posted some picks of showing the guide hand not going forward in Sasha and Evan. My guess...romeo has made a living out of handling the ball well enough with his size and athleticism that he never needed to develop his stroke as well as some.

He is more of a rhythm shooter if yiu watch in my opinion smooth and fluent off of the bounce not nearly as much when he is set. My father and i habe discussed the appearance of him thumbing the ball but that isnt the case. When you thumb the ball it effects your rotation of the ball drastically and Romeo has good rotation on his shot. A good follow through has more impact than your guide hand if a player can not thumb the ball. I spent a couple summers with the rocket and that is always what he preached and i am an iu fan and that man can still shoot better than most. Hell i would probably take that guy in a wheelchair in a game of horse against most college players

The announcers have mentioned a number of times that RL is getting away with a number of walks. Where are the refs from?

He is more of a rhythm shooter if yiu watch in my opinion smooth and fluent off of the bounce not nearly as much when he is set. My father and i habe discussed the appearance of him thumbing the ball but that isnt the case. When you thumb the ball it effects your rotation of the ball drastically and Romeo has good rotation on his shot. A good follow through has more impact than your guide hand if a player can not thumb the ball. I spent a couple summers with the rocket and that is always what he preached and i am an iu fan and that man can still shoot better than most. Hell i would probably take that guy in a wheelchair in a game of horse against most college players
Don't know if he was thumbing it or not, but his guide hand goes forward like a youngster with a parallel grip. You can be effective and not look pretty with enough practice and good hand eye coordination. Rocket was a hell of a shooter but I liked baumgardner and ernie hobbie's teaching
s

Last edited:
I disagree, they ran into the Ark player after he got the rebound. Refs should call the last minute the same as the first.

Last edited:
Reactions: boilers-seminoles
Don't know if he was thumbing it or not, but his guide hand goes forward like a youngster with a parallel grip. You can be effective and not look pretty with enough practice and good hand eye coordination. Rocket was a hell of a shooter but I liked baumgardner and ernie hobbie's teaching
s

I think its more of a thumbing "appearance" he has a good stroke as was evident in his last few jumpers. But to me as a shooter growing up it was alot to me of the rotation was good cause if you are doing something wrong you dont have proper rotation. Juat my 2 cents. But on another level it is nice to have a conversation on a different board wothout stats equations etc just basketball. Most of us are from Indiana and we know more about basketball in our thumbs than the rest of the country in there whole body lol

Reactions: tjreese
s

I think its more of a thumbing "appearance" he has a good stroke as was evident in his last few jumpers. But to me as a shooter growing up it was alot to me of the rotation was good cause if you are doing something wrong you dont have proper rotation. Juat my 2 cents. But on another level it is nice to have a conversation on a different board wothout stats equations etc just basketball. Most of us are from Indiana and we know more about basketball in our thumbs than the rest of the country in there whole body lol

Abd a question reese as i suspect wr feel the same how many "extra ranking spots does a high school kid get in your opinion when he is from Indiana and benefits from the coaching they get from the time they are in kindergarten?"

Do some of these players actually take the shot doctor’s advise? Some of the most broken shots I have seen in the college ranks here recently. With the teaching available this seems like it shouldn’t be an issue anymore. Maybe should do some underhand free throws.

Lol 4 players out and Morgan played 2 minutes in the first half.
Greene would've probably hurt them since he is TO prone, McRoberts might have helped a little with composure, Hunter and Race are unknowns. The rotation isn't going to spread that far anyways. It was one game and one game only. The road may hurt your young guards.

Greene would've probably hurt them since he is TO prone, McRoberts might have helped a little with composure, Hunter and Race are unknowns. The rotation isn't going to spread that far anyways. It was one game and one game only. The road may hurt your young guards.
Green would have been a better option against the press than Andersen and Dueham. When those guys are back Andersen probably doesnt get any playing time. Regardless, if Morgan or Phinisee arent in foul trouble we probably dont lose that game.

Luckily no one in the big ten presses, so shouldn't be an issue moving forward.

Do some of these players actually take the shot doctor’s advise? Some of the most broken shots I have seen in the college ranks here recently. With the teaching available this seems like it shouldn’t be an issue anymore. Maybe should do some underhand free throws.[/QUOTE

Edited

Last edited:
Do some of these players actually take the shot doctor’s advise? Some of the most broken shots I have seen in the college ranks here recently. With the teaching available this seems like it shouldn’t be an issue anymore. Maybe should do some underhand free throws.[/QUOTE

I dont think any really listen to "shot doctors" i think this is just a coupke guys talking about shooting. But as is typical someone has to have a comment and attempt to make it something that it isn't. My guess is that you are just trying to cause an argument about nothing which is why alot of people complain about these boards. Reese and i where just shooting the shit about shooting even though he is a boiler and i am a hoosier. I didnt realize we where playing this week and had to hate each other.

I dont think any really listen to "shot doctors" i think this is just a coupke guys talking about shooting. But as is typical someone has to have a comment and attempt to make it something that it isn't. My guess is that you are just trying to cause an argument about nothing which is why alot of people complain about these boards. Reese and i where just shooting the shit about shooting even though he is a boiler and i am a hoosier. I didnt realize we where playing this week and had to hate each other

Green would have been a better option against the press than Andersen and Dueham. When those guys are back Andersen probably doesnt get any playing time. Regardless, if Morgan or Phinisee arent in foul trouble we probably dont lose that game.

Luckily no one in the big ten presses, so shouldn't be an issue moving forward.
Not going to argue about your players but let me get this straight. Green against zero press is a 1/1 guy. I think Durham is like 4/1 are you sure you want Green against the press.

Not going to argue about your players but let me get this straight. Green against zero press is a 1/1 guy. I think Durham is like 4/1 are you sure you want Green against the press.
Having a really good assist to turnover ratio doesnt necessarily mean a player is a great ball handler. Ryan Cline isnt the best ball handler, but his assist to turnover ratio is really good. Eastern is a good ball handler, but his assist to turnover ratio isnt great.

As I said though, Andersen killed us in breaking the press.

Abd a question reese as i suspect wr feel the same how many "extra ranking spots does a high school kid get in your opinion when he is from Indiana and benefits from the coaching they get from the time they are in kindergarten?"
I have no idea, but Norm Sloan liked his Indiana players...would say they know the game and can shoot. I used to have property down in Florida and when I would get away from the beach I would go to the YMCA because I was told that was where the people went to play ball. I went and watched and there were some really athletic people there, but conceptually they had little understanding of the game or fundamentals. I do think with all the coaching clinics going around that better coaching is available outside of Indiana than there used to be...and in some cases I must say the some Indiana coaches don't work the fundamentals either

I dont think any really listen to "shot doctors" i think this is just a coupke guys talking about shooting. But as is typical someone has to have a comment and attempt to make it something that it isn't. My guess is that you are just trying to cause an argument about nothing which is why alot of people complain about these boards. Reese and i where just shooting the shit about shooting even though he is a boiler and i am a hoosier. I didnt realize we where playing this week and had to hate each other
The Shot Doctor was a real person. Keady used him, Hurley used him, coach K used him. There have been others than called themselves teh "shot doctor", but I believe the original was Ernie Hobbie

Do some of these players actually take the shot doctor’s advise? Some of the most broken shots I have seen in the college ranks here recently. With the teaching available this seems like it shouldn’t be an issue anymore. Maybe should do some underhand free throws.
Ernie died a few years ago, but no...many players just want to play adn continue to do what they do and many coaches are busy trying to put players together and nto teaching the fundamentals maybe as much as they should. Just because a person coaches high school doesn't mean they teach shooting... :(

Reactions: Purdue85
I would hope that we can all agree that the BIG is better when our rivalry is good and ee consistently have Indiana kids on the roster.
I'd agree that my favorite time watching hoops was when Gene and Bobby were top 20'fighting for big ten supremacy. So yes, I don't really cheer against IU cause I want our battles to actually mean something.

Hate me if you want Boiler fans

Reactions: herrli and mathboy
Not trying to cause an argument here chief. Has nothing to do with you or anything Hoosier/Boiler specific as I wasn’t really paying attention directly to your conversation. I’m speaking in general although a couple players of both teams come to mind here. Just think in this day and age, you shouldn’t see a high level player with such a bad technique in their shot since there are so many experts that should be able to correct that. Those “shot doctors” as those experts are called do exist as has been pointed out.

Kwame Brown, Greg Oden, Sam Bowie and Anthony Bennet say hello.

For the record, I did not write that he would not be successful as a professional. I did write that drafting him high was risky. High risk can pay off on occasion. Someone does win the lottery though the probability is very slim.

Brother, you're messing with fire.

Criticizing dear Romeo is like heresy. If you were a part of the cult, you would be put in shackles in the public square . . . then flogged.

Ernie died a few years ago, but no...many players just want to play adn continue to do what they do and many coaches are busy trying to put players together and nto teaching the fundamentals maybe as much as they should. Just because a person coaches high school doesn't mean they teach shooting... :(

I want to be careful how I say this, because I don't want this to come off as pure criticism.

Prefacing my comments: Yes, there are some wonderful youth coaches in all sports, at all age levels, club/travel, organized, HS, etc.

With that said, my experience has been that there are very few true "coaches" at the high school level. I can't speak to historical comparisons, but there are all to many HS coaches with the "bring me your game" attitude/approach. It seems there's very little "investment" and development. TRUE development. And I'm not talking about HS coaches who have a summer camp. Or those who take a "select" team (younger ages) and play in tournaments in the offseason. I'm talking TRUE development.

By the way, my "bring me your game" comment was an actual quote from an actual (former) High School head coach. That was this person's attitude: "bring me your game."

What a disappointment.

That person had moderate success when the truly talented classes arrived, but had no ability to develop individuals nor a TEAM.

To be fair, some do exist. Not enough.

Reactions: 13thman and tjreese
I never once said IU would make more 3s than Purdue. My claim was that IU would be a better 3pt shooting team. My definition of the better 3pt shooting team would be the team with the higher 3pt percentage.

Either way it's obvious you and I disagree on it, so there is no point in continuing to debate it at this point.
Aj hammons shot something like 70% from 3 his senior year. Therefore he is an elite 3 pt shooter.

Aj hammons shot something like 70% from 3 his senior year. Therefore he is an elite 3 pt shooter.
Hammons was 6/11 his senior year. Surely you see a difference between 11 attempts and 300+ attempts.

Purdue will attempt more 3pt shots this year, but IU will attempt a whole helluva lot more 3s than 11. Their percentage at the end of the year will have little to do with volume.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT