ADVERTISEMENT

May 1 is looming

northside100

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2001
It would seem unlikely at this point to have a MBB player enter the portal before the May 1 cutoff. Are you surprised?

Without litigating, I think there were a number of folks here who were sure that we'd have a transfer. Do you think we'll get a last-minute surprise?

Reactions: oldboiler52
I’m still of the impression that some of these kids are finishing the semester to figure out grades and credits. Are they close to graduating? Can those credits transfer etc.

One other thing someone pointed out, most the earlier movers in the portal were mid majors. Now you are seeing kids from P5 conferences starting to enter and move around. Some people are waiting to see where the dust settles and I expect more surprises soon.

I’m still of the impression that some of these kids are finishing the semester to figure out grades and credits. Are they close to graduating? Can those credits transfer etc.

One other thing someone pointed out, most the earlier movers in the portal were mid majors. Now you are seeing kids from P5 conferences starting to enter and move around. Some people are waiting to see where the dust settles and I expect more surprises soon.

But the cutoff for everyone is now May 1, including grad transfers which wasn't the case prior to this year. I don't know what schools will have spring semester wrapped up before then, seems odd buts it's the NCAA.

It would seem unlikely at this point to have a MBB player enter the portal before the May 1 cutoff. Are you surprised?

Without litigating, I think there were a number of folks here who were sure that we'd have a transfer. Do you think we'll get a last-minute surprise?

Count me with slight surprise, but with overwhelming gratitude for the players who want to stick to a great program and tremendous coach.

Poachers were my only concern. Glad it hasn't happened.

Seems like a stretch given the timing but you could be right. I'll bet you a nickel as a side bet that we don't see any movement ;)

Last edited:
Seems like a stretch given the timing but you could be right. I'll bet you a nickel as a side bet that we don't see any movement ;)
eddie murphy sum GIF

But the cutoff for everyone is now May 1, including grad transfers which wasn't the case prior to this year. I don't know what schools will have spring semester wrapped up before then, seems odd buts it's the NCAA.
I know but and I’m purely speculating. Honestly just trying to make sense of it all.

Maybe Painter and Purdue are going to give the NCAA a big finger and sue them. Tie this issue up in courts and deal with it later 🤣

Reactions: jtanoos1

It also assumes someone giving up a scholarship or leaving the team does it by entering the portal.

People want the prep school route because it seems like we don't lose anyone that way and that's what people want.

Like I've said, it's certainly possible that one of the recruits wasn't honest with the folks here about not being told about prep school. They have no obligation to reveal that until ready.

What I don't believe and certainly hope Painter wouldn't do is wait til late summer and then spring on one frosh hey you're going to prep school.

Since I don't believe he's that kind of person then either someone is leaving via portal or voluntarily giving up their scholarship or quitting basketball or possibly playing overseas in the case if Berg or someone has already agreed to prep school.

Of course, since we are looking to oversign again next season, prep school means we still need someone to go. And again no I don't believe Painter is just going to assume it will all work out cuz "someone will leave."

That or anyone else that has a scholarship….any of the incoming Frosh…Furst….waddell…berg….
Correct. That seems like the most obvious to me unless one of the incoming freshmen is willing to go the prep school route, which isn't a bad deal if you're not a surefire NBA prospect. Take a year to work on your body and game and add on a year when you're 22 or 23 and more likely to get a big NIL payday.

I'll admit it if I'm wrong and there is a late portal entry, just like solid posters like @ChoiceBeef will if they're wrong and everyone stays. I'm sure that the posters who prefer hyperbole will ignore the fact that they proclaimed 'zero chance' that everyone stays and will move on to post ignorant nonsense on the next topic.

Correct. That seems like the most obvious to me unless one of the incoming freshmen is willing to go the prep school route, which isn't a bad deal if you're not a surefire NBA prospect. Take a year to work on your body and game and add on a year when you're 22 or 23 and more likely to get a big NIL payday.

I'll admit it if I'm wrong and there is a late portal entry, just like solid posters like @ChoiceBeef will if they're wrong and everyone stays. I'm sure that the posters who prefer hyperbole will ignore the fact that they proclaimed 'zero chance' that everyone stays and will move on to post ignorant nonsense on the next topic.
Appreciate the shout out.

Honestly, we are all twisting ourselves in knots trying to figure out this puzzle. Fact is, Painter and crew have it figured out. They have a few days to make it official and give us something else to gnaw on.

Appreciate the shout out.

Honestly, we are all twisting ourselves in knots trying to figure out this puzzle. Fact is, Painter and crew have it figured out. They have a few days to make it official and give us something else to gnaw on.
Well, I'm not in knots. We have the players we need ... one is not going to make much difference.

Reactions: SCBoiler1

Why are you so obsessed with who's wrong? If you're going to continue this calling folks out for being wrong or hyperbole, then stop with the passive aggressive and give examples so whomever it is you are trying to waste time calling out can respond.

I haven't seen anyone say anything has a "zero chance." So if you're worried about hyperbole maybe point us to who said "zero chance." I know I've said I don't believe Painter doesn't already know what the plan is because I believe him. I haven't said prep school was impossible or any other possibility. I haven't seen anyone else say it's impossible. But even if someone did so what?

Or, you know, quit wasting space complaining because someone was wrong about something sometime and not sufficiently apologetic for you.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
It's all speculation at this point. It's fun when there is nothing else to talk about but it really doesn't matter. We don't need 14 guys on the roster and my sole interest is Purdue putting the best team on the court next year.

Furst would be my biggest concern. While he hasn't lit the world on fire. We'd be pretty thin and inexperienced up front without him. TKR can score but I'm not sure we wouldn't need someone else on the floor with him to help rebound. I don't think it would be the difference between a B1G championship and a mediocre season but he would be a nice piece to keep in the fold.

Waddell staying, a guy going off scholarship or one of the freshmen going to prep school will literally have zero impact on Purdue's success next year and most likely little impact in future years.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
It's all speculation at this point. It's fun when there is nothing else to talk about but it really doesn't matter. We don't need 14 guys on the roster and my sole interest is Purdue putting the best team on the court next year.

Furst would be my biggest concern. While he hasn't lit the world on fire. We'd be pretty thin and inexperienced up front without him. TKR can score but I'm not sure we wouldn't need someone else on the floor with him to help rebound. I don't think it would be the difference between a B1G championship and a mediocre season but he would be a nice piece to keep in the fold.

Waddell staying, a guy going off scholarship or one of the freshmen going to prep school will literally have zero impact on Purdue's success next year and most likely little impact in future years.
You don’t think it has some impact as to recruiting / transfer portal next year? If we have an open scholarship(s) next year, Sisley or (doubtful but possible) Haralson can join the team. I’d say Haralson would have a bigger contribution right away, but if neither join, we would maybe be able to add a transfer that might have somewhat of a potential impact similar to Lance.

Or am I not understanding?

We had 2 players transfer out. Now if you meant others then I get what you are saying.

Why are you so obsessed with who's wrong? If you're going to continue this calling folks out for being wrong or hyperbole, then stop with the passive aggressive and give examples so whomever it is you are trying to waste time calling out can respond.

I haven't seen anyone say anything has a "zero chance." So if you're worried about hyperbole maybe point us to who said "zero chance." I know I've said I don't believe Painter doesn't already know what the plan is because I believe him. I haven't said prep school was impossible or any other possibility. I haven't seen anyone else say it's impossible. But even if someone did so what?

Or, you know, quit wasting space complaining because someone was wrong about something sometime and not sufficiently apologetic for you.
I don't care about being wrong and I certainly don't want anyone to apologize for it. The nature of these boards is that there will be differing opinions and some will be wrong (cue Ethan Morton's shooting ability for me). IMO that's different than the behavior I'm calling out. I think we are all are guilty of using hyperbole or absolutism at times in trying to convince others of our views rather than engaging in honest conversation. For those who don't act that way, please ignore, my comments are not targeted at you.

There are a few posters on this board like Beef, TJ, and Purvis whose opinions I respect and there are a few more like Wol and bone who have outlandish takes at times but are generally entertaining. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others but outside of those guys, I don't even try to keep track of who is saying what. For posters who are engaging in honest dialogue, I would hope that my comments don't bother them because they don't apply.

I don't care about being wrong and I certainly don't want anyone to apologize for it. The nature of these boards is that there will be differing opinions and some will be wrong (cue Ethan Morton's shooting ability for me). IMO that's different than the behavior I'm calling out. I think we are all are guilty of using hyperbole or absolutism at times in trying to convince others of our views rather than engaging in honest conversation. For those who don't act that way, please ignore, my comments are not targeted at you.

There are a few posters on this board like Beef, TJ, and Purvis whose opinions I respect and there are a few more like Wol and bone who have outlandish takes at times but are generally entertaining. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others but outside of those guys, I don't even try to keep track of who is saying what. For posters who are engaging in honest dialogue, I would hope that my comments don't bother them because they don't apply.
I really figured on someon transferring, not counting Gillis and Morton. Aren't we one over the limit? Painter knows so we can just wait and see.
Looking forward to the 6 incoming players. One will shirt or prep school.
Catchings might be a starter by conference time. Harris much be a:stud for us. One of the bigs has to emerge.
It will be fun watching this unfold as we become a team with all our newbies

I really figured on someon transferring, not counting Gillis and Morton. Aren't we one over the limit? Painter knows so we can just wait and see.
Looking forward to the 6 incoming players. One will shirt or prep school.
Catchings might be a starter by conference time. Harris much be a:stud for us. One of the bigs has to emerge.
It will be fun watching this unfold as we become a team with all our newbies
Yes over the limit by 1 and that doesn’t count any of the seniors who could have returned for a Covid year.

I said earlier that I'd be surprised if Furst didn't enter the portal. Given his radically reduced playing time, and the influx of talent, I just didn't think he'd be interested in the prospect of another season of heavy pine time. Some folks responded that his transfer was unlikely. As I type this, they are right, and I am wrong.

I said earlier that I'd be surprised if Furst didn't enter the portal. Given his radically reduced playing time, and the influx of talent, I just didn't think he'd be interested in the prospect of another season of heavy pine time. Some folks responded that his transfer was unlikely. As I type this, they are right, and I am wrong.
Edey and Gillis are leaving a ton of available minutes for Furst to compete for. He’ll have to earn it, but he knows that Coach Painter will be fair and do what’s best for team.

My guess is that there is (and has been) a plan in place for someone (Waddell seems the likely) to move to walk on status and make it up in NIL, and they are waiting until May 1 to confirm no portal transfers.

My guess is that there is (and has been) a plan in place for someone (Waddell seems the likely) to move to walk on status and make it up in NIL, and they are waiting until May 1 to confirm no portal transfers.
Slightly OT, but I still believe that Waddell has the ability to be a good high major player and is just buried in the depth chart. If he isn’t able to break through in the depth chart this year, maybe he plays his super senior year for Shrews at ND. Just speculating, but I want to see him get his shot somewhere.

Slightly OT, but I still believe that Waddell has the ability to be a good high major player and is just buried in the depth chart. If he isn’t able to break through in the depth chart this year, maybe he plays his super senior year for Shrews at ND. Just speculating, but I want to see him get his shot somewhere.
So you’re saying he’d transfer out his senior year to go play for ND? Who is just fighting to get into the tourney?

When (all speculation) Purdue could be really good with the current team and incoming 6 Frosh? With the F4 in Indy with Midwest regional in Chicago?

Could be and would make sense why radio silence. If someone did unexpectedly decide to go portal then no need to give up, but if that doesn't happen the plan could be to announce it after the portal closes.

So you’re saying he’d transfer out his senior year to go play for ND? Who is just fighting to get into the tourney?

When (all speculation) Purdue could be really good with the current team and incoming 6 Frosh? With the F4 in Indy with Midwest regional in Chicago?
If it is the difference between being out of the rotation and starting, possibly. I really want to see him do it at Purdue, but I feel the same about Heide, Colvin, Catchings, Harris, etc. I am just not sure that the playing time is there for all of them.

I mean if we sign someone in 25, in this scenario that's now two years as a walk-on if no one leaves. Might make sense at that point, again in this scenario.

I mean if we sign someone in 25, in this scenario that's now two years as a walk-on if no one leaves. Might make sense at that point, again in this scenario.
He should leave now then. Not sure how playing time works out this year…or for next

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT