ADVERTISEMENT

IU

Nov 11, 2018
Our meetings should be a lot of fun from here on out. If we stay healthy we should go deep come March. It looks like Davis has decided to wait until the late signing period. Michigan St is doing something shady there but I don’t really care. I have a lot of faith in Archie and I really like our freshman class. I also think Moore will be really good next year.

Our meetings should be a lot of fun from here on out. If we stay healthy we should go deep come March. It looks like Davis has decided to wait until the late signing period. Michigan St is doing something shady there but I don’t really care. I have a lot of faith in Archie and I really like our freshman class. I also think Moore will be really good next year.
I missed their game where they thrashed some team. I REALLY like Morgan, but don't know enough about the others to have a feel. I'll know more when I see them in the Big

???? You lost? I know this internet deal is hard to navigate.......but I believe you have your own board.

Ok whatever. He is starting at IU but wouldn’t see the court at Purdue? Thompson is in HS.

That’s blind homerism
IU needed a pg. Purdue didn’t. It’s that simple. Eifert wouldn’t be starting at IU.... so what’s your point. And yes, Thompson is in HS. That’s why I said he is in the fold. We don’t need RP and won’t.

IU needed a pg. Purdue didn’t. It’s that simple. Eifert wouldn’t be starting at IU.... so what’s your point. And yes, Thompson is in HS. That’s why I said he is in the fold. We don’t need RP and won’t.
Matt recruited Rob hard. He took an official. There is no way Isiah Thompson an unranked 3* makes Phinisee not a miss.

It’s ok to admit that IU got a great one right out of Purdue’s backyard. It’s not anti Painter/Purdue to admit it.

Oh and I like Hunter Jr too. But he wasn’t ahead of Rob in any ranking.

Again point stands Phinisee was a miss. Nothing untold about admitting it.
We signed a point guard ranked in the top 75 in his class, one year ahead of Rob, who he knew he would never beat out, and he can’t play another position. He was never coming here.

That’s why CMP spent more time on Carmody, damezi, and hunter the summer of 2017.

We are not going to stock pile a bunch of 6'3" and under guys, just isn't going to happen. We have Hunter which I'm assuming is Edwards 2.0 SG ability but needs to be a PG to get to the next level. Rob fits IU needs and we will be fine without. Now Hall was a miss!

We missed out on Phinesee.
? I'll hold reservation on that for a while. Purdue got Hunter and then followed up with Thompson and Newman. I watched Thompson play toe to toe with Phinesee when he was a Soph. Purdue may be just fine...let them play before we know if Purdue missed out. When Thompson physically matures closer to the stature of Phinesee, Purdue might just be fine.

Not sure there is a clear winner at this time and not sure it was critical to land Phinesee in that class.

Wow, probably should have read all the others before typing as many said what I just did. No panic from this Boiler. Could he have played at Purdue...certainly. Was it important for him to come to Purdue...not that much. Purdue needs 3s and 4s

This. No one is saying Rob is a bad player, he just had no spot on our team with who we recruited over him.

It's not that hard of a concept to grasp I don't think. IU need him more than we did. Again, it wasn't a miss and he is a good player, we just statistically have better players that fill the role so he wouldn't have any minutes.

This is a non traditional game. You need players that service many positions. IU has a ton of traditional fowards but service many positions. We are the same at the guard position.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
In today's game and with CMP's offense, it is becoming less important for a true PG. Personally, I'd rather have two very good combo guards who can score and guard multiple positions rather than a simple true PG.
I think Painter agrees. He would certainly take a point guard with elite ability and adjust the offense accordingly, but I think he’s happy to play combos who can shoot, like Hunter and Thompson, or non traditional point guards like Eastern.

This. No one is saying Rob is a bad player, he just had no spot on our team with who we recruited over him.

It's not that hard of a concept to grasp I don't think. IU need him more than we did. Again, it wasn't a miss and he is a good player, we just statistically have better players that fill the role so he wouldn't have any minutes.
He had no spot. That’s just silly

Time will tell. He and ours are not going anywhere soon.

We signed a point guard ranked in the top 75 in his class, one year ahead of Rob, who he knew he would never beat out, and he can’t play another position. He was never coming here.

That’s why CMP spent more time on Carmody, damezi, and hunter the summer of 2017.
This reminds me of some PG in yogis class whose name I can’t remember being way better than Yogi. The fact that I can’t remember his name tells how that unfolded.

Yogi's departure created a huge vacuum at PG for IU. Al Durham and Green are not true PGs and CTC could never bring in a suitable replacement for Yogi (note- I said 'suitable'...not 'equal' ). Rob going to IU made sense for Rob, and IU, and even Purdue based on current rosters. The fact that he went to McCutcheon HS doesn't change any of that. I'm a lifelong IU fan but Rob not being in WLaf isn't a black mark against CMP....it just made sense for all based on the needs for everyone.

Yogi's departure created a huge vacuum at PG for IU. Al Durham and Green are not true PGs and CTC could never bring in a suitable replacement for Yogi (note- I said 'suitable'...not 'equal' ). Rob going to IU made sense for Rob, and IU, and even Purdue based on current rosters. The fact that he went to McCutcheon HS doesn't change any of that. I'm a lifelong IU fan but Rob not being in WLaf isn't a black mark against CMP....it just made sense for all based on the needs for everyone.
No one said it’s a black mark on CMP. Matt recruited him and he chose another. Part of the game. But IU missed out on Hummel and I bet they wish he wore the ugly ass candy stripes.

No one said it’s a black mark on CMP. Matt recruited him and he chose another. Part of the game. But IU missed out on Hummel and I bet they wish he wore the ugly ass candy stripes.
IU coaching situation was a train wreck going downhill fast during Hummel's time. I'm an IU fan and I wouldn't have committed to IU at that point. Drop the hostility. I wasn't being negative towards your program in any way....actually the opposite.

Reactions: RawfNader
Are you comparing Phinisee to Yogi? And Nojel to Ronnie Johnson?
I was wondering the same thing.

I also remember the IU fans coming here to tell us how the SG from Broad Ripple (name?) was superior to Raphael Davis, simply because of Rivals rankings. The IU kid was creaned and recruited over in the summer before school even started.

Are you comparing Phinisee to Yogi? And Nojel to Ronnie Johnson?
Ahh that was that bums name. I’m just making a comment on PU fans perpetually overhyping mediocre players. Time will tell with NE

Any time I bring up anything PU, trying to just talk about PU.... you guys immediately bring up IU

Ahh that was that bums name. I’m just making a comment on PU fans perpetually overhyping mediocre players. Time will tell with NE

Any time I bring up anything PU, trying to just talk about PU.... you guys immediately bring up IU
https://247sports.com/Player/Nojel-Eastern-35511/high-school-58725/

Nojel was ranked 69th in the country and a high four star player. He is far from mediocre but obviously needs work on aspects of his game like most sophomores/freshman in college.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
I was talking about Thompson, who the person above said was the reason you don’t need Phinisee and didn’t want him (yawn).

The other poster assumed I meant NE
Phinisee would have been a great get for Painter and anyone trying to say differently doesn't realize Phinisee is going to be a pretty good point guard who can score. He saw there was an easier path to playing early at IU vs. Purdue with Carsen/Nojel/Cline/ being at Purdue already and Hunter coming to Purdue as well. IU didn't have the depth of guard play that Purdue had on the roster at the time of decision. It was the correct decision for him, especially given Archie's first trip in state was to see Robert at his high school. That made a big impact.

IT could easily still make a jump with a strong senior season to a four star prospect and jump in to the top 150 like Phinisee did his final year at MHS.

It's nice to see Purdue and IU grabbing a total of 6 of the top 10 recruits in Indiana in 2019 (barring IU grabbing Brooks and TJD). That needs to happen more and more to really re-establish the rivalry that Crean ruined with so many out of state kids.

I was talking about Thompson, who the person above said was the reason you don’t need Phinisee and didn’t want him (yawn).

The other poster assumed I meant NE
Compare and contrast Phinisee with Thompson relative to basketball, not that one is older than the other. I haven't see enough to have an informed opinion...one game is certainly not enough

Phinisee would have been a great get for Painter and anyone trying to say differently doesn't realize Phinisee is going to be a pretty good point guard who can score. He saw there was an easier path to playing early at IU vs. Purdue with Carsen/Nojel/Cline/ being at Purdue already and Hunter coming to Purdue as well. IU didn't have the depth of guard play that Purdue had on the roster at the time of decision. It was the correct decision for him, especially given Archie's first trip in state was to see Robert at his high school. That made a big impact.

IT could easily still make a jump with a strong senior season to a four star prospect and jump in to the top 150 like Phinisee did his final year at MHS.

It's nice to see Purdue and IU grabbing a total of 6 of the top 10 recruits in Indiana in 2019 (barring IU grabbing Brooks and TJD). That needs to happen more and more to really re-establish the rivalry that Crean ruined with so many out of state kids.
Carsen definitely. Cline plays literally zero PG and if he did you guys would suck. NE is also not even close to a PG though PU fans love to claim he is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT