ADVERTISEMENT

IU

I was going carsen 6' and romeo 6'6". So Romeo has 5" on him if Carsen is 6'1". I dont know what Carsen's wingspan is, but Romeo's is 6'11", so he would have a ton of reach on Carsen as well.
It is all about how you want to defend the team. Do you try to control Morgan and let Romeo get what he can..do you try to control Romeo and let Morgan run free. Do you play them straight up? How about the others on Purdue...who do they guard. I'm not worried about defending teh 3 ball from Romeo because that is too late to defend it if it needs defended. If Romeo cannot adjust quickly once he starts his dribble. Lots of things you can do.Does Cline guard him until he proves Cline must guard him rather than defend the dribble? The reach difference has value on defense and inside play. If romeo has to slowly get into the lane with Purdue, then there will be size to help...just have to get weakside boards. At initial glance I'm much more concerned with the bigs of IU (Davis, Morgan, Smith and the shooter...phizer?) than Romeo. I think Purdue is better at the 1-2 spot than IU, just don't know how the 3,4 and 5 play out. If Wheeler continues to get comfortable...who knows where he is...and Evan...seems to be physical enough to work on Morgan.

This is so early in teh game I don't know what to expect other than Morgan gathered my respect last year adn until I see reason to believe otherwise...he would be the marked man when playing IU

IU has made 22 three pointers this year.
Carsen and Cline have made 21.

Find another thing to be better at. This one is a lost cause.
I never once said IU would make more 3s than Purdue. My claim was that IU would be a better 3pt shooting team. My definition of the better 3pt shooting team would be the team with the higher 3pt percentage.

Either way it's obvious you and I disagree on it, so there is no point in continuing to debate it at this point.

It is all about how you want to defend the team. Do you try to control Morgan and let Romeo get what he can..do you try to control Romeo and let Morgan run free. Do you play them straight up? How about the others on Purdue...who do they guard. I'm not worried about defending teh 3 ball from Romeo because that is too late to defend it if it needs defended. If Romeo cannot adjust quickly once he starts his dribble. Lots of things you can do.Does Cline guard him until he proves Cline must guard him rather than defend the dribble? The reach difference has value on defense and inside play. If romeo has to slowly get into the lane with Purdue, then there will be size to help...just have to get weakside boards. At initial glance I'm much more concerned with the bigs of IU (Davis, Morgan, Smith and the shooter...phizer?) than Romeo. I think Purdue is better at the 1-2 spot than IU, just don't know how the 3,4 and 5 play out. If Wheeler continues to get comfortable...who knows where he is...and Evan...seems to be physical enough to work on Morgan.

This is so early in teh game I don't know what to expect other than Morgan gathered my respect last year adn until I see reason to believe otherwise...he would be the marked man when playing IU
Time will tell. I like what what I'm seeing from this IU team so far (as I'm sure you guys are with Purdue). Always encouraging to pound a ranked team with a team that has so many question marks. Long season ahead.

Reactions: tjreese
Morgan and Smith have similar games. Morgan does his secondary scoring from 3 pt range while Smith does his in the mid range. Both like to face up and drive.

I would say there is no coach out there that would say "let romeo shoot". He hit over 200 3s during his high school career, so he is certainly capable. I agree that freshmen are sometimes freshmen, but I think we can agree that top 5 freshmen are not a common occurrence in the Big Ten.

With that being said, I would be highly shocked if Painter put Nojel on Morgan. If it were to happen, I would be pretty confident in those matchups. Like you said, time will tell.
I think Evan or harms wud match up well with Morgan I believe nojel puts pressure on phinese. I think we match up well with Indiana player for player. Who gonna chase carsen all over the court that will b interesting. Gonna be a fun game to watch I’m looking forward to it.

h

I think you let Romeo get what Romeo can get and defend the other four. He can't beat you by himself.

I think Evan or harms wud match up well with Morgan I believe nojel puts pressure on phinese. I think we match up well with Indiana player for player. Who gonna chase carsen all over the court that will b interesting. Gonna be a fun game to watch I’m looking forward to it.
I would imagine Phinisee gets the first shot at Carsen. He guarded Markus Howard from Marquette throughout most of the game, and Howard and Carsen have similar games.

I agree, I'm very much looking forward to it aa well.

I don't know if I waste my best defender on Phinese. He's not going to beat you, though his overall game might be as good or better than Langford. You have to stop Morgan's penetration....and avoid committing dumb fouls. BOUDREAUX can handle Fitzner, so you sag off Romeo and let him get his and help on the other four. JMO

...AND that is legit as well. If you cut the head off the snake, it dies...and so if Nojel makes it difficult on teh PG to get into an offense and make others distribute...THAT can be effective as well. I know this...I want whoever "dribbles" the ball to make IU effective...Nojel comes to mind in that regard.

I don't know if I waste my best defender on Phinese. He's not going to beat you, though his overall game might be as good or better than Langford. You have to stop Morgan's penetration....and avoid committing dumb fouls. BOUDREAUX can handle Fitzner, so you sag off Romeo and let him get his and help on the other four. JMO
like you ...I'm more concerned about Morgan

Carsen on Phinisee
Nojel on Romeo
Cline on Whoever their 3 is... McRoberts?
Eifert on Smith
Haarms on Morgan

Haarms height and length should give Morgan trouble in the post.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
Carsen on Phinisee
Nojel on Romeo
Cline on Whoever their 3 is... McRoberts?
Eifert on Smith
Haarms on Morgan

Haarms height and length should give Morgan trouble in the post.
THAT would be the "standard" approach

I never once said IU would make more 3s than Purdue. My claim was that IU would be a better 3pt shooting team. My definition of the better 3pt shooting team would be the team with the higher 3pt percentage.

Either way it's obvious you and I disagree on it, so there is no point in continuing to debate it at this point.
You and I don’t disagree. You just choose to not accept the fact that you are wrong no matter how you spin it. Purdue will make more 3’s ans have a better average. Been that way since game one and I don’t see it changing as games get tougher.

You and I don’t disagree. You just choose to not accept the fact that you are wrong no matter how you spin it. Purdue will make more 3’s ans have a better average. Been that way since game one and I don’t see it changing as games get tougher.
We shall see. Have a good day!

Agreed. I think it's the approach we see though.
it may very well be...that would be a conventional thought. It may start that way and adjust and it may start different. Unless Purdue thinks they have to do something unconventional to win, they probably won't. Now as Treed stated"IF" Nojel can get into phinesee and disrupt the whole offense then that would be an adjustment... I start out with not letting Morgan beat you. Haarms "could" have 3 fouls before the game starts? Cline played with McRoberts in high school and so he would know a bitr about him as well. Ryan is not the same player as he puts it on the floor now and so you cannot close out hard on him or he will go by you. I don't have a feel for smith. He is an athlete that plays above the rim, but can he dribble the ball and score on the perimeter? I "think" they winner of the game could be a team that defends a player like Carsen,Cline, Morgan or Romeo effrectively. Others can score and whoever does that the best may win?

it may very well be...that would be a conventional thought. It may start that way and adjust and it may start different. Unless Purdue thinks they have to do something unconventional to win, they probably won't. Now as Treed stated"IF" Nojel can get into phinesee and disrupt the whole offense then that would be an adjustment... I start out with not letting Morgan beat you. Haarms "could" have 3 fouls before the game starts? Cline played with McRoberts in high school and so he would know a bitr about him as well. Ryan is not the same player as he puts it on the floor now and so you cannot close out hard on him or he will go by you. I don't have a feel for smith. He is an athlete that plays above the rim, but can he dribble the ball and score on the perimeter? I "think" they winner of the game could be a team that defends a player like Carsen,Cline, Morgan or Romeo effrectively. Others can score and whoever does that the best may win?
If it isnt working the "Standard" way, then I agree adjustments will be made. I like your point about Cline playing with McRoberts in high school, so he will know how he plays. That goes both ways, so should be an interesting matchup.

I also agree that the team that wins the game will be the team to slow down one of the "Big 4" offensive threats in the game.

I have thought all along they win at Assembly and we win at Mackey.

If it isnt working the "Standard" way, then I agree adjustments will be made. I like your point about Cline playing with McRoberts in high school, so he will know how he plays. That goes both ways, so should be an interesting matchup.

I also agree that the team that wins the game will be the team to slow down one of the "Big 4" offensive threats in the game.

I have thought all along they win at Assembly and we win at Mackey.
well, that would be my early thought...course Purdue could surprise down there if it comes down to a last shot and carsen has the ball. maybe a chad austin day?

I think we all agree the B1G is the deepest it's been in years. I still think there will be others to surprise us. Wisconsin, Nebraska and possibly Penn St. B1G is crazy good this year. If IU and Purdue can finish in the top 5, that's a good season.

The entire conversation was around posters here talking crap after game 1. Purdue shot something like 45% from 3 and IU was like 33%. I said let the games play out and then pointed out that if you add in the exhibition games the percentages look way different.

I'm not about to clog the board up with this debate again. We can re evaluate after 10ish games when both teams have played good competition. As it stands today after 3 games:

Purdue: 37%
IU: 36%

See ya in 7 games.
I agree that 10 games is much better in terms of getting data from which reliable judgments can be made. However, if you believed that then you were incorrect to start throwing stats around that you knew were meaningless. That was disingenuous on your part and you knew better.

The problem with even 10 games is that cupcakes can skew the data as you get them early.

Morgan is the player that could get us in foul trouble. If this happens they will continue to attack and out rebound us in a big way. We take care of the rock and rebound we should be ok.

I agree that 10 games is much better in terms of getting data from which reliable judgments can be made. However, if you believed that then you were incorrect to start throwing stats around that you knew were meaningless. That was disingenuous on your part and you knew better.

The problem with even 10 games is that cupcakes can skew the data as you get them early.
Lol have a good day, Arc.

well, that would be my early thought...course Purdue could surprise down there if it comes down to a last shot and carsen has the ball. maybe a chad austin day?

I'm too young to remember that haha.

That was a great game!

ezgif-5-2fc8a7a75f12.gif

Who does Cline and Eifert guard?

They sound like the Scott brothers :eek:
same effect but much different. Woody was in keady's early classes...could shoot the ball, but completely lost on D out of high school. More frail than Chad. He and Riley went crazy in beating IU after IU had beaten them about 40 points in Bloomington. Riley set a lot of VERY HIGH ball screens and Woody just went off

snip...snip
Purdue won primarily because Austin dramatically emerged from a shooting slump and took matters into his own hands midway through the second half.

Shortly before the spree began, Indiana had taken a 42-32 lead. At this point there was no ebb and flow. Both teams were shooting miserably. During one interlude, Purdue stopped Indiana in 10 straight possessions but was rewarded with only one basket.

Austin hadn`t scored a basket since early in the first half, even though he was constantly putting up shots. So Purdue coach Gene Keady took his best player out of the game.

But, instead of chastising him, the coach merely wanted to make certain Austin got the message: ''Keep shooting, Woody! If you don`t score we can`t win.''

While those words were sinking in, Matt Waddell was sinking an outside shot and Matt Painter was scoring on a cut to the basket, narrowing the Boilermakers` deficit to 42-36.

Then Austin took over the game in dramatic style by scoring Purdue`s next 10 points on outside shots. During this span, Indiana`s only answer was a three-point basket by Damon Bailey.

Bailey did his best to keep the momentum from swinging, subsequently posting up twice to score from the inside against Austin and hitting once from the outside.

But with Indiana ahead 53-52, Bailey missed a layup on a three-on-one break.

Purdue scored five of the next six points on Riley`s basket and free throw and Cuonzo Martin`s shot from the corner.

Martin`s basket came after Riley missed the second free throw in a one-and-one situation but ran down the loose-ball rebound near midcourt.

''I had to get that ball,'' said the 6-foot-9-inch, 255-pound center.

''If I missed that free throw and they went down and scored a basket and won the game, I`d remember it the rest of my life.''

Now trailing 57-54, Indiana again made a grievous mistake. Eric Anderson worked free to score from underneath, but the basket with 74 seconds left was wiped out by a traveling call.

As the clock ran down, Purdue`s determination intensified, feeding off the frenzy of the 14,123 fans. The Boilermakers struggled but managed to stay in front.

The loss seemingly left Indiana coach Bob Knight speechless. Or, to be precise, he and his players left without speaking.

When Knight came to the media room, Austin was being interviewed. Although the Austin interview ended instantly, the Hoosiers` coach stalked off in a snit and refused to return.

Rest assured it wasn`t a joy ride back to Bloomington after a game in which the Hoosiers made only 37 percent of their shots and were outrebounded 41-30.

Purdue`s shooting was a lukewarm 40 percent. Austin led the Boilermakers with 20 points, Riley had 17 points and seven rebounds, and Martin, the redshirt freshman from East St. Louis Lincoln, contributed 12 points, seven rebounds and a good defensive job against All-American candidate Calbert Cheaney.

''Cuonzo played his best game of the year,'' said Keady.

Cheaney`s 20-point performance stood out in defeat, but 15 came in the first half when the Hoosiers recovered from a poor start to lead 34-29 at intermission.

Indiana was down 17-8 when Knight went to a three-guard offense. The strategy succeeded in getting the Hoosiers going. He stayed with the three guards for virtually the rest of the game, rotating Bailey, Greg Graham, Jamal Meeks and Chris Reynolds.

Alan Henderson, Indiana`s outstanding freshman center, played only two minutes in the first half after picking up two quick fouls and was back for only 10 minutes in the second. Henderson, who went into the game averaging 11.5 points and 7.3 rebounds, had only two points and three rebounds.

Unlike Riley, Henderson didn`t have the kind of game 9-year-old kids growing up in Indiana dream of.

Now Chad...he could defend! He was a much better defender and a stronger player. he hit two last second shots to beat IU. Bryson Scott was a driver and his brother Brenton was a shooter... ;)

Yes, he's right. The pros are excited about a 2-guard shooting 16.7% from the 3. Tic
He’s a better shooter than that but it’s obvious he’s lacking confidence in his outside shot right now. Nobody in college basketball gets to the basket and finishes better than Romeo though. The dude will keep improving as the season goes on.

Phin and Green will

Personally, I question if Haarms is quick enough to guard Morgan.

Personally, I question if Haarms is quick enough to guard Morgan.
I know what you are saying. I can't decide if it is "quickness" physically or "experienced enough" to not get in foul trouble down there. Hence, my internal questioning if Nojel would be the cover and more team D on Romeo

Reactions: peytonrules
I would rather have Haarms providing help defense in support of Eifert. I think that Eastern takes Romeo and Carsen takes Phinisee.
THAT is a viable approach and keeps players in typical defensive areas. AS always...Haarms helping allows easy putbacks if you do NOT control the weakside. Part of the key to all of this is...what does Smith or phizer (sp?) bring? What are you willing to give up to get what you want. What that will do is keep pressure on the ball (Carsen, Hunter) and keep Romeo from penetrating at will. I expect that to be the typical approach, but if things don't work out...what is the back up? So much to see, but all of this comes down to how you decide to defend the others not named Morgan, Romeo and whoever is running the point

Reactions: peytonrules
THAT is a viable approach and keeps players in typical defensive areas. AS always...Haarms helping allows easy putbacks if you do NOT control the weakside. Part of the key to all of this is...what does Smith or phizer (sp?) bring? What are you willing to give up to get what you want. What that will do is keep pressure on the ball (Carsen, Hunter) and keep Romeo from penetrating at will. I expect that to be the typical approach, but if things don't work out...what is the back up? So much to see, but all of this comes down to how you decide to defend the others not named Morgan, Romeo and whoever is running the point
Fitzner *

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT