ADVERTISEMENT

IU

He’s a better shooter than that but it’s obvious he’s lacking confidence in his outside shot right now. Nobody in college basketball gets to the basket and finishes better than Romeo though. The dude will keep improving as the season goes on.

In getting to the basket:

-in HS certainly true;
-in college possibly true - we'll see how the season plays out;
-in the pros not likely at all lacking an outside shot as the guards are more physical, faster and his advantages will be mitigated.

Lots of risk drafting a guard that shoots poorly from outside.

-in HS certainly true;
-in the pros not likely at all lacking an outside shot as the guards are more physical, faster and his advantages will be mitigated.

It's three games. He shot 38% during his career at New Albany. He's struggling right now. ANd that happens. After all, he is just a frosh. The shots will eventually start to go down.

-in HS certainly true;

He will be a top 5 pick. Are you insinuating you know more than NBA GMs... ?

He will be a top 5 pick. Are you insinuating you know more than NBA GMs... ?

Kwame Brown, Greg Oden, Sam Bowie and Anthony Bennet say hello.

For the record, I did not write that he would not be successful as a professional. I did write that drafting him high was risky. High risk can pay off on occasion. Someone does win the lottery though the probability is very slim.

Last edited:
Reactions: mathboy
Kwame Brown, Greg Oden, Sam Bowie and Anthony Bennet say hello.

For the record, I did not write that he would not be successful as a professional. I did write that drafting him high was risky. High risk can pay off on occasion. Someone does win the lottery though the probability is very slim.
You guys spent the whole off season saying he wouldn't be able to finish inside the arc in college because of the increased height and length. He's shooting 78% inside the arc right now. That will likely drop to around 60% as the season moves on. Regardless he is still an elite finisher.

You guys spent the whole off season saying he wouldn't be able to finish inside the arc in college because of the increased height and length. He's shooting 78% inside the arc right now. That will likely drop to around 60% as the season moves on. Regardless he is still an elite finisher.

I will note for the record that you did not dispute the fallibility of NBA GMs despite your previous high confidence in them.

I am not responsible for the posts of others, only my own.

The data that you cite has been achieved against some pretty poor competition. The BE has been shocking bad so far so I would not get too excited about the Marquette win. Georgetown, who beat Illinois, got beat handily by Loyola Marymount who is an also-ran in the potent West Coast Conference. As someone who grew up liking the BE I am sorely disppointed in the league this year.

Time will obviously tell. Let's see how he performs against serious competition.

Reactions: mathboy
I will note for the record that you did not dispute the fallibility of NBA GMs despite your previous high confidence in them.

I am not responsible for the posts of others, only my own.

The data that you cite has been achieved against some pretty poor competition. The BE has been shocking bad so far so I would not get too excited about the Marquette win. Georgetown, who beat Illinois, got beat handily by Loyola Marymount who is an also-ran in the potent West Coast Conference. As someone who grew up liking the BE I am sorely disppointed in the league this year.

Time will obviously tell. Let's see how he performs against serious competition.
Is it possible GMs make a bad pick from time to time? Yes, but it's the exception not the rule.

Marquette is a top 50 team and ranked 53rd in defense by kenpom. So I wouldn't exactly call the competition weak. IU plays today on the road at Arkansas. That's another top 50 team with a top 50 defense.

Iirc (and I have not looked it up) Marquette was in the NIT last year and did not advance very far with a far better team. It would not surprise me if the seat gets hot there. As for Chi State and Montana State, you know as well as I do that they are inferior competition for even a depressed BE bottom feeder.

I should also note that the picks haven't been done yet so nobody has put their neck on the line.

Last edited:
Iirc (and I have not looked it up) Marquette was in the NIT last year and did not advance very far with a far better team. It would not surprise me if the seat gets hot there. As for Chi State and Montana State, you know as well as I do that they are inferior competition for even a depressed BE bottom feeder.

I should also note that the picks haven't been done yet so nobody has put their neck on the line.
Chicago state and Montana were bad. I never claimed they weren't. Marquette is good and a top 30 team. 78% from 2 on high volume through 3 games is good for any player against any competition. Especially when that player is a freshman and a guard. There really is no debate, he's an elite finisher.

Chicago state and Montana were bad. I never claimed they weren't. Marquette is good and a top 30 team. 78% from 2 on high volume through 3 games is good for any player against any competition. Especially when that player is a freshman and a guard. There really is no debate, he's an elite finisher.
It must be hard going around defending IU’s elite recruit. Probably even tougher on the forum of the team with the National player of the year.

It must be hard going around defending IU’s elite recruit. Probably even tougher on the forum of the team with the National player of the year.
It's pretty easy actually considering this is the only board where people dont think Romeo is an elite player.

As for having the NPOY, I didnt realize Zion transferred to Purdue. That's a really good pickup for you guys. I might have to bump you up a few spots in my projected Big Ten rankings.

For the record, on what basis can we reasonably conclude Marquette is good? And I write that as a Big East fan. To date, they are 3-1. Their wins are againt UMBaltimore, Bethune-Cookman and Presbyterian. That is a diet of cupcakes.

For the record, on what basis can we reasonably conclude Marquette is good? And I write that as a Big East fan. To date, they are 3-1. Their wins are againt UMBaltimore, Bethune-Cookman and Presbyterian. That is a diet of cupcakes.
So you wouldn't conclude that Purdue is good based on what you have seen? I mean they have only beaten cupcakes at this point as well...

It's pretty easy actually considering this is the only board where people dont think Romeo is an elite player.

As for having the NPOY, I didnt realize Zion transferred to Purdue. That's a really good pickup for you guys. I might have to bump you up a few spots in my projected Big Ten rankings.
You would vote for Zion over Carsen?
Carsen 45% from 3, 100% from the free throw line and 27 ppg.
Zion 33% from 3, 61% from the free throw line and 25ppg.

Homer much?

You would vote for Zion over Carsen?
Carsen 45% from 3, 100% from the free throw line and 27 ppg.
Zion 33% from 3, 61% from the free throw line and 25ppg.

Homer much?
Jesus f****** christ. Zion is averaging 25 pts, 11 rebs, 3 assists, and 3 blks a game. He is shooting 82% from the field. He has another 25 pt/gm scorer on his team. Let's not forget he is on the best team in the country.

You lose a ton of credibility with this argument, and now I just consider you a black and gold glasses wearing troll. Bye Petey.

Jesus f****** christ. Zion is averaging 25 pts, 11 rebs, 3 assists, and 3 blks a game. He is shooting 82% from the field. He has another 25 pt/gm scorer on his team. Let's not forget he is on the best team in the country.

You lose a ton of credibility with this argument, and now I just consider you a black and gold glasses wearing troll. Bye Petey.
One dimensional. Carsen is a better all around player...easily.

Feel free to leave. Bye Felicia.

I do see why you like Zion. He is a one trick pony like your guy Romeo. 17% from 3 and 52% from the line. Woof!

Didn’t you list him as one of the “shooters” IU had this year?

You’re pretty bad at this.

I do see why you like Zion. He is a one trick pony like your guy Romeo. 17% from 3 and 52% from the line. Woof!

Didn’t you list him as one of the “shooters” IU had this year?

You’re pretty bad at this.
Did you list Eric Hunter as one of your shooters? Should we write off Eric Hunter's shooting ability after 4 games?

What a troll.

Marquette came in vastly over-rated, IU got the calls (Look at the number of Marquette players in foul trouble), and no way are they a top 30 team.

Marquette came in vastly over-rated, IU got the calls (Look at the number of Marquette players in foul trouble), and no way are they a top 30 team.
Marquette team fouls: 20

IU team fouls: 26

Simply saying they are not a top 30 team without providing anything to back it up is ridiculous. They could very easily win the Big East this year, and they have the likely Big East player of the year on their team.

So you wouldn't conclude that Purdue is good based on what you have seen? I mean they have only beaten cupcakes at this point as well...

I am not aware that Davidson is considered a cupcake. This is truly news to me. Davidson is a top 3 pick to win the A10. The A10 is not a joke league. It is not P5 but it has a good history. The Davidson coach is highly respected nationally so I will aggressively dispute your position. Davidson is a good team, not a great team but one that should not be taken for granted.

Ball St is a decent MAC team. MAC teams at the upper level are fair to good. There is no way that they are a cupcake.

As for how good Purdue is: the jury is out to date. How well they play against VaTech on a neutral court will be informative. All that we can reasonably conclude is that they are good. We'll see if tney can be considered very good. They do appear to have integrated the new players fairly well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roeder
I will go on record with these predictions:

1. Marquette will be considered a disapointing BE team and Wojo's seat will be very hot; and

2, the BE as a whole will be viewed as disappointing so that mskes Marquette disppointing to tbe 2nd power.

P.S. I just saw that Villanova lost to the mighty Paladins of Furman. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: TwinDegrees2
I will go on record with these predictions:

1. Marquette will be considered a disapointing BE team and Wojo's seat will be very hot; and

2, the BE as a whole will be viewed as disappointing so that mskes Marquette disppointing to tbe 2nd power.

P.S. I just saw that Villanovalost to the mighty Paladins of Furman. LOL
You are going on record about something that no one cares about. The point remains that Marquette is a very solid for IU, and if you dont think so, then you also dont believe Purdue has any solid wins as Marquette is waaaaaay better than any teams Purdue has played (until tonight).

I will go on record that at season's end that Davidson will be viewed more favorably than Marquette. As for pointing out something nobody cares about: you were busy crowing about Marquette. Read your posts!

I will go on record that at season's end that Davidson will be viewed more favorably than Marquette. As for pointing out something nobody cares about: you were busy crowing about Marquette. Read your posts!
I will go on record as saying Marquette is a lock for a Q2 win for IU with a very real possibility as a Q1 win. I will also go on record saying Davidson ends as a Q3 win for Purdue. We will know more about both teams in about 8 hours as both teams have Q1 games today.

FYI, Villanova is the choice to win the BE and Marquette is 2nd choice. Villanova has already lost 2 games (Michigan and Furman.) Providence is behind Michigan in the first half at this moment. Providence has lost to Wichita who in the losers' bracket of their tournament which is the same as Purdue"s. Wichita is down quite a bit to Alabama as I write.

As a BE fan, I am sad at the strength of the conference.

P.S. Gtown is lucky to be in OT with USF (Gtown is leading.) They needed a last seconds 3 pt shot to get to OT. USF was picked tp be 12th in a 12 team conference. So much for the BE.

Last edited:
The BE is clustered in media centers so you are correct. Media likes the BE and pumps them up. That helps in perceptions.

IU fan here and i just sit back and laugh at some id these arguments. Edwards is definately a NPOY candidate no if and or nuts about it. Langford is one of the better freshmen in the country(there is a reason for the rankings of recruits and yes they are not always right). It is early in the year and there are a lot of questions about both programs and chances are how each team looks now will ve drastically different come February/March. We will see how everything pans out but anyone who says Edwards isnt a candidate or Langford isnt one of the better freshmen just hasnt watched or is just an outright homer. Painter is a good coach and runs a good program and has had some bad breaks in the tourney but what program cant say that. I would hope that we can all agree that the BIG is better when our rivalry is good and ee consistently have Indiana kids on the roster. I enjoy watching and root for the Boilers most of the time and am looking forward to this year. I dont post often so wishing everyone a happy and safe holiday season.

I looked it up. In the previous 5 seasons, Marquette made the NCAA once (2 years ago) and they lost in the 1st round. They made the NIT last year and lost in tne quarters. In tne other seasons they went nowhere.

Does anyone think that is a highly regarded team?

I looked it up. In the previous 5 seasons, Marquette made the NCAA once (2 years ago) and they lost in the 1st round. They made the NIT last year and lost in tne quarters. In tne other seasons they went nowhere.

Does anyone think that is a highly regarded team?
What does past years successes have to do with the current team? Absolutely nothing.

FYI, Davidson has only made the tournament 2 times in the last 5 years and has 0 wins. Is that a good team?

Marquette is a lock for a Q2 win for IU.

While true, we can reasonably observe that this year so far the league is doing poorly. As I wrote, I am a fan of the league for many years and I am sad to see its present state. However, reality is reality.

While true, we can reasonably observe that this year so far the league is doing poorly. As I wrote, I am a fan of the league for many years and I am sad to see its present state. However, reality is reality.
A league can be bad and still have good teams. The Big Ten was terrible last year, but still had 4 good teams. Marquette's only loss is to a good IU team at one of the hardest venue's to play at in college basketball.

True, but 3 of the top 4 projections are Villanova, Marquette and Providence. V is looking bad so far, Providence has list to Wichita and is presently losing by 20 to Michigan. Marquette has 0 good wins. Why would anyone consider this good? The B1G was considered bad last year and they did better than this.

ADVERTISEMENT